Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/13/2021 12:18:40 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

One time some dude was getting away in a car. Now The Hulk could have jumped a couple of times and got him. Instead, he just picked up an end of the road and just shook it, like you would a hallway rug. The dude and his car went flying off due to the whiplash effect and crashed.

Another time he simply pounded The Thing vertically into the ground.

That is creative bad ass.

Hulk vs the ever-loving Thing.

I used to love the Thing's 'now its my turn' bravado, only to figure out the Hulk wasn't done yet. Badass even in defeat.

Classic silver/bronze age stuff.

Yeah, Thing had a bit of the Chuck Wepner bravado. The Hulk dominates and I think once hit Thing so hard all his rocks flew off. Stan Lee said Hulk, no question.
Post #: 526
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/13/2021 12:21:09 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Interesting question on NFL satellite radio yesterday, came from a Vikings' fan, but neither commentator answered the question.

The question was if the Vikings fired the HC, should they, or will they also start with a new GM.

Instead of answering the question, the commentator stated that Zimmer just got an extension, has had a few tough breaks in losses, and he thinks the Vikes are about to go on a run.

Nevermind that they just got by the Lions at home.

Even with the tough tough schedule ... this team DOES feel like it can go on a 3-4 game run. We have as much talent as the next guy, more than a lot.

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter whether the other team is good or bad – we will shoot ourselves in the foot against anybody. So sustaining that run seems very very unlikely.

There should be a natural development / we should be better in 4-6 weeks than last week ...

but the hallmark of the Zimmer era is up and down football. We don't respond well when the stakes raise.

The Spielman praise continues to pour in from posters.
Post #: 527
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/13/2021 1:27:07 PM   
marty

I wasn't praising Spielman, but I will.

The Vikes have some great talent, guys like Jefferson, O'Neill, Cook, Hunter, Griffin, Kendricks. It feels like they're underperforming, either because of the HC, the QB, or the combination of the 2.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 528
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/13/2021 2:06:10 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

Interesting question on NFL satellite radio yesterday, came from a Vikings' fan, but neither commentator answered the question.

The question was if the Vikings fired the HC, should they, or will they also start with a new GM.

Instead of answering the question, the commentator stated that Zimmer just got an extension, has had a few tough breaks in losses, and he thinks the Vikes are about to go on a run.

Nevermind that they just got by the Lions at home.

Even with the tough tough schedule ... this team DOES feel like it can go on a 3-4 game run. We have as much talent as the next guy, more than a lot.

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter whether the other team is good or bad – we will shoot ourselves in the foot against anybody. So sustaining that run seems very very unlikely.

There should be a natural development / we should be better in 4-6 weeks than last week ...

but the hallmark of the Zimmer era is up and down football. We don't respond well when the stakes raise.

The Spielman praise continues to pour in from posters.

My pro-Spiels praise only meets the Blind Squirrel standard. Nothing more. We have some very good players. Hunter, Cook , Jefferson and maybe Kendricks … for my money.

I think we have enough complimentary talent to be competitive, for a stretch. With some luck balancing out the coaching decisions.

Also, I haven’t been impressed with anybody except for Buffalo … nobody is looking ‘scary’ at this point. Out of our league … yes … but far from unbeatable.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 10/13/2021 2:08:29 PM >
Post #: 529
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/13/2021 2:18:52 PM   
TJSweens

There is nothing maybe about Kendricks.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 530
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/13/2021 2:54:23 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

One time some dude was getting away in a car. Now The Hulk could have jumped a couple of times and got him. Instead, he just picked up an end of the road and just shook it, like you would a hallway rug. The dude and his car went flying off due to the whiplash effect and crashed.

Another time he simply pounded The Thing vertically into the ground.

That is creative bad ass.

Hulk vs the ever-loving Thing.

I used to love the Thing's 'now its my turn' bravado, only to figure out the Hulk wasn't done yet. Badass even in defeat.

Classic silver/bronze age stuff.

Yeah, Thing had a bit of the Chuck Wepner bravado. The Hulk dominates and I think once hit Thing so hard all his rocks flew off. Stan Lee said Hulk, no question.

I'd take Rhino over Thing.
Post #: 531
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/13/2021 4:27:18 PM   
David Levine

Judd Zulgad@jzulgad
So Mike Zimmer wants Kubiak to script the opening of the second half like teams do with the first half. How many teams run script in the second half. I thought that was supposed to be done by feeling for the game flow. This seems like it's complicating things too much.
Post #: 532
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/13/2021 5:53:43 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Judd Zulgad@jzulgad
So Mike Zimmer wants Kubiak to script the opening of the second half like teams do with the first half. How many teams run script in the second half. I thought that was supposed to be done by feeling for the game flow. This seems like it's complicating things too much.

I guess this at least shows they're aware of the paucity of adjustments Kubiak is making at halftime. It seems a tad on the overly rigid side to run a script even though they have no idea what adjustments the defense may make at halftime, but I guess baby steps.....
Post #: 533
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/13/2021 6:22:45 PM   
Todd M

That's stupid.

Isn't the point of running scripted plays to start the game to gain information? Which we're obviously poor at gathering and using to make adjustments or attack what's working. So we're going scrap the entire 1st half and run some plays Kubiak thought up nights before?
Post #: 534
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/13/2021 6:27:18 PM   
Todd M

Might be time to clean house. Do a hard reset. Get picks for our best. Start over.
Post #: 535
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/13/2021 6:40:37 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

The key phrase in that post by Zulgad..
“Mike Zimmer wants….”

Tells me all I need to know about our offensive shortcomings…

Zim needs to go..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 536
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/13/2021 10:05:53 PM   
Bill Jandro

It boils down to Zimmer is an idiot.

He is clearly the weak link. Spielman should not survive the upcoming purge or I'll have to either quit watching or drive up to TCO and do something I regret.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 537
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 7:26:43 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

I don't see virtue in firing Zimmer now because his staff has no one to take the reigns other than maybe Patterson, but to what end? Play out this year.

Spielman, however, can be gone sooner, unless as someone pointed out, the targeted replacement is on another team.

save the season...keep the fans interested...flip the football philosophy to 2021...what we have now is an embarrassment....

give it to 'son of kubiak' and tell him to 'score some phucking points, kid'!!....

+1
Over 400 yards offense...100 receiver at half, 100 rusher, 19 points.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 538
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 7:44:15 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

The Vikes have some great talent, guys like Jefferson, O'Neill, Cook, Hunter, Griffin, Kendricks. It feels like they're underperforming, either because of the HC, the QB, or the combination of the 2.

None of those guys are underperforming....it is all coaching. To outplay an opponent and be up only 7 at the end it the problem. Basically held the team to 10 points the whole game.

To not be able to move the ball against Cleveland the whole 2nd half is stupidity....go five wide if needed and get the ball out. Cleveland loves teams that are predictable run teams and throw deep.

Post #: 539
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 9:48:42 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

None of those guys are underperforming....it is all coaching. To outplay an opponent and be up only 7 at the end it the problem. Basically held the team to 10 points the whole game.

To not be able to move the ball against Cleveland the whole 2nd half is stupidity....go five wide if needed and get the ball out. Cleveland loves teams that are predictable run teams and throw deep.

Cleveland knew we couldn't handle their Front 4. They were ready for quick passes. That game showed us either get the OLine up to snuff or get a mobile QB.
Post #: 540
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 9:53:50 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

Cleveland knew we couldn't handle their Front 4. They were ready for quick passes. That game showed us either get the OLine up to snuff or get a mobile QB.

Part of the problem is that you set players up to fail when you make your whole scheme so ridiculously predictable.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 541
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 10:04:28 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Part of the problem is that you set players up to fail when you make your whole scheme so ridiculously predictable.

I see plenty of 1st down play action passes. They don't work when Hill or Bradbury get manhandled.

I'm hoping Darrisaw stabilizes the OLine and they get back to the efforts they had against AZ and SEA.
Post #: 542
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 10:18:50 AM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

The key phrase in that post by Zulgad..
“Mike Zimmer wants….”

Tells me all I need to know about our offensive shortcomings…

Zim needs to go..

I can't watch Zimmerball anymore.
His style is pathetic.
I feel like I felt during the Chili years.

Spiels needs to go as well.
Post #: 543
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 10:33:26 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I see plenty of 1st down play action passes. They don't work when Hill or Bradbury get manhandled.

I'm hoping Darrisaw stabilizes the OLine and they get back to the efforts they had against AZ and SEA.

The Cleveland game looked a lot like the playoff game against the 49ers after 2019, O-line getting manhandled by a big, strong d-line. It shouldn't take this long for Spielman/Zimmer to figure it out.
Post #: 544
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 10:36:11 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Cleveland game looked a lot like the playoff game against the 49ers after 2019, O-line getting manhandled by a big, strong d-line. It shouldn't take this long for Spielman/Zimmer to figure it out.

I would guess this year is their last chance.
Post #: 545
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 10:37:26 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

The post before you are +one-ing production and kub Kubiak for interim HC. This post you are rightfully pointing to the inadequate / predictable coaching / output …???

Its true that the team has been scoring points in its other games … but to my eye, KK is playing the same controlled Zimmer tempo of football … trying to score just enough while playing keep-away from your opponent. That is barely half a notch above playing not to lose.

Besides, haven’t we had enough cronyism lately?

Make a strength conditioning intern HC, or maybe one of those ‘team squirters’ (they run onto the field during breaks and squeeze water bottles at players) … but please, nothing more from the tree of kubiak or zimmer.
Post #: 546
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 10:42:48 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

This has probably been said already but one way to counter an effective pass rush is to go with empty backfield and shotgun. Good luck covering all five pass catchers. The QB shouldn't need all day to find an open guy with that many targets especially if he can get any sort of read on whose in man-to-man. It doesn't have to be all game long but enough to score on them a few times.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 547
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 10:45:19 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

The post before you are +one-ing production and kub Kubiak for interim HC. This post you are rightfully pointing to the inadequate / predictable coaching / output …???

Its true that the team has been scoring points in its other games … but to my eye, KK is playing the same controlled Zimmer tempo of football … trying to score just enough while playing keep-away from your opponent. That is barely half a notch above playing not to lose.

Make a strength conditioning intern HC, or maybe one of those ‘team squirters’ (they run onto the field during breaks and squeeze water bottles at players) … but please, nothing more from the tree of kubiak or zimmer.

For some reason your post reminded me of a scene in Moneyball where Brad Pitt just fired the head of scouting. The next scout he bumps into he asks, "Have you ever played pro ball?" The scout says "no". Pitt then says "You're the new head of scouting."

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 548
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 11:09:22 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

For some reason your post reminded me of a scene in Moneyball where Brad Pitt just fired the head of scouting. The next scout he bumps into he asks, "Have you ever played pro ball?" The scout says "no". Pitt then says "You're the new head of scouting."

Not far off, for sure. [I watch a lot of movies but never a movie about or centered around baseball. I hate baseball.]

What's sad is that, I'm pretty sure with a team squirter turned HC, (aside from dehydration problems) ... there'd be improvement in game/time mgmt.
Post #: 549
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 11:21:34 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That isn't enough though...sending out 2 or 3 doesn't help when they can't get open. The most immobile QB in the NFL Brady and they send out 4-5 WR. We played right into Cleveland's hand...they had the CB and coverage for Thielen and Jefferson. Jefferson and Kirk made a few plays but we were outcoached....you go 2 TE against Cleveland you are also playing right into their strength...even 3 WR didn't work because we aren't innovative enough.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/14/2021 11:24:44 AM >

Post #: 550
Page:   <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode