Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 11:26:25 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I wasn't praising Spielman, but I will.

The Vikes have some great talent, guys like Jefferson, O'Neill, Cook, Hunter, Griffin, Kendricks. It feels like they're underperforming, either because of the HC, the QB, or the combination of the 2.

None of those guys are underperforming....it is all coaching. To outplay an opponent and be up only 7 at the end it the problem. Basically held the team to 10 points the whole game.

To not be able to move the ball against Cleveland the whole 2nd half is stupidity....go five wide if needed and get the ball out. Cleveland loves teams that are predictable run teams and throw deep.

Cleveland knew we couldn't handle their Front 4. They were ready for quick passes. That game showed us either get the OLine up to snuff or get a mobile QB.

Part of the problem is that you set players up to fail when you make your whole scheme so ridiculously predictable.

I see plenty of 1st down play action passes. They don't work when Hill or Bradbury get manhandled.

I'm hoping Darrisaw stabilizes the OLine and they get back to the efforts they had against AZ and SEA.

The Cleveland game looked a lot like the playoff game against the 49ers after 2019, O-line getting manhandled by a big, strong d-line. It shouldn't take this long for Spielman/Zimmer to figure it out.

This has probably been said already but one way to counter an effective pass rush is to go with empty backfield and shotgun. Good luck covering all five pass catchers. The QB shouldn't need all day to find an open guy with that many targets especially if he can get any sort of read on whose in man-to-man. It doesn't have to be all game long but enough to score on them a few times.

Is it really that easy?

KC with its braintrust and superior weapons had a hard time against Buffalo pass rush.

McVay in SB against NE. Just 3 points. Just spread them out and it should have been easy pickings.

While I am for what you say, I think you need a mobile QB when everyone is covered up initially. Extend play and get yards by QB running, or throwing to receiver who can't be covered for over 5 seconds.
Post #: 551
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 11:30:13 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Vikes have some great talent, guys like Jefferson, O'Neill, Cook, Hunter, Griffin, Kendricks. It feels like they're underperforming, either because of the HC, the QB, or the combination of the 2.

None of those guys are underperforming....it is all coaching. To outplay an opponent and be up only 7 at the end it the problem. Basically held the team to 10 points the whole game.

To not be able to move the ball against Cleveland the whole 2nd half is stupidity....go five wide if needed and get the ball out. Cleveland loves teams that are predictable run teams and throw deep.

Cleveland knew we couldn't handle their Front 4. They were ready for quick passes. That game showed us either get the OLine up to snuff or get a mobile QB.

Part of the problem is that you set players up to fail when you make your whole scheme so ridiculously predictable.

I see plenty of 1st down play action passes. They don't work when Hill or Bradbury get manhandled.

I'm hoping Darrisaw stabilizes the OLine and they get back to the efforts they had against AZ and SEA.

The Cleveland game looked a lot like the playoff game against the 49ers after 2019, O-line getting manhandled by a big, strong d-line. It shouldn't take this long for Spielman/Zimmer to figure it out.

This has probably been said already but one way to counter an effective pass rush is to go with empty backfield and shotgun. Good luck covering all five pass catchers. The QB shouldn't need all day to find an open guy with that many targets especially if he can get any sort of read on whose in man-to-man. It doesn't have to be all game long but enough to score on them a few times.

Is it really that easy?

KC with its braintrust and superior weapons had a hard time against Buffalo pass rush.

McVay in SB against NE. Just 3 points. Just spread them out and it should have been easy pickings.

While I am for what you say, I think you need a mobile QB when everyone is covered up initially. Extend play and get yards by QB running, or throwing to receiver who can't be covered for over 5 seconds.

I am not sure it would be easy...but when you don't move the ball after the first TD drive you have to try something different. Maybe go no huddle and let Kirk call the plays.

We have the WR to go 4 wide now and top 3 RB can catch a swing pass. I remember having the best pass rush in the NFL and playing Cover 2 with the Williams wall...NE didn't run. Wore out the Williams boys by going no huddle for a quarter. Be nice to see something on our side like that instead of our coaches insisting on straight up/our way all the time.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/14/2021 11:34:24 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 552
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 11:37:01 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Is it really that easy?

I read the big key is that Mahomes likes the HR too much...won't throw short to RB or others....teams are using it against him.

Same thing is happening with the Vikes....sometimes just a no huddle series is all it will take.

Post #: 553
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 11:45:09 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Is it really that easy?

I am not sure it would be easy...but when you don't move the ball after the first TD drive you have to try something different. Maybe go no huddle and let Kirk call the plays.

We have the WR to go 4 wide now and top 3 RB can catch a swing pass. I remember having the best pass rush in the NFL and playing Cover 2 with the Williams wall...NE didn't run. Wore out the Williams boys by going no huddle for a quarter. Be nice to see something on our side like that instead of our coaches insisting on straight up/our way all the time.

I agree with you guys. We didn't really try anything different against Cleveland.
Post #: 554
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 11:57:38 AM   
Phil Riewer

Same thing against Detroit; we have a good receiving TE and Detroit was covering WR with their Zone....yes we threw it to Mattison a ton but we have Conklin too. Nice to keep going to the well but utilize the TE.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/14/2021 11:59:33 AM >

Post #: 555
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 12:15:48 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Is it really that easy?

No huddle, and about 15 straight passes to open the game.
Post #: 556
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 12:24:57 PM   
bohumm

Switch up a bit. Read and react. Speed up the pace. Use motion. Change formations to something unusual. Zig when you normally zag.

Or just keep doing the same shitt over and over.
Post #: 557
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 1:24:58 PM   
David F.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FBrNBAIWEAMBvA-?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 558
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 2:00:42 PM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

The Vikings are truly cursed on FGs.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 559
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 2:59:41 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

I think I heard that was our 1st game winning FG(when we were behind) since 2008.
Post #: 560
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 4:00:40 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Not really sure what that stat means. Does it mean that the Vikings have historically lost 2+ more games per season on FGs than the average NFL team? And that the Ravens have historically won 4+ more games per season on FGs than the average NFL team? That seems far fetched.
Post #: 561
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 5:41:20 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Judd Zulgad@jzulgad
So Mike Zimmer wants Kubiak to script the opening of the second half like teams do with the first half. How many teams run script in the second half. I thought that was supposed to be done by feeling for the game flow. This seems like it's complicating things too much.

I guess this at least shows they're aware of the paucity of adjustments Kubiak is making at halftime. It seems a tad on the overly rigid side to run a script even though they have no idea what adjustments the defense may make at halftime, but I guess baby steps.....

The whole thing is like a situation in Germany in the mid 90s. There was to be a massive, near nationwide trash pickup strike. The goal was to make in random so as to introduce more chaos. So what ensued were many, many meetings over weeks and weeks.

Have meetings to figure out how to be random. Zimmer would have fit right in as the leader of that effort.
Post #: 562
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 8:35:09 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Judd Zulgad@jzulgad
So Mike Zimmer wants Kubiak to script the opening of the second half like teams do with the first half. How many teams run script in the second half. I thought that was supposed to be done by feeling for the game flow. This seems like it's complicating things too much.

I guess this at least shows they're aware of the paucity of adjustments Kubiak is making at halftime. It seems a tad on the overly rigid side to run a script even though they have no idea what adjustments the defense may make at halftime, but I guess baby steps.....

The whole thing is like a situation in Germany in the mid 90s. There was to be a massive, near nationwide trash pickup strike. The goal was to make in random so as to introduce more chaos. So what ensued were many, many meetings over weeks and weeks.

Have meetings to figure out how to be random. Zimmer would have fit right in as the leader of that effort.

Heil Zimmer!
Post #: 563
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 8:37:43 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Not really sure what that stat means. Does it mean that the Vikings have historically lost 2+ more games per season on FGs than the average NFL team? And that the Ravens have historically won 4+ more games per season on FGs than the average NFL team? That seems far fetched.

It indicates what the field goal team adds to the team’s % chance to win any given game.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 564
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/14/2021 9:44:05 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

It indicates what the field goal team adds to the team’s % chance to win any given game.

I read ya.
Post #: 565
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/16/2021 9:40:38 PM   
marty

The Chiefs are struggling on defense; maybe the Vikes could trade Breeland to them ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 566
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/17/2021 10:07:04 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

The Chiefs are struggling on defense; maybe the Vikes could trade Breeland to them ?

The struggles are on defense, not mental capacity.
Post #: 567
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/17/2021 10:59:01 AM   
David F.

Wow I just saw Laquan treadwell on the field for jacksonville

Post #: 568
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/17/2021 4:04:01 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

So I guess I need to wear throwback Page or Tarkington every game day, until we lose..

So after next week, then…

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 569
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/17/2021 4:18:06 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

So I guess I need to wear throwback Page or Tarkington every game day, until we lose..

So after next week, then…

Nice
Post #: 570
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/17/2021 4:23:31 PM   
Mark Anderson

Burns got Darrisaw once(Kirk 20 yard run) but he looks the part. Athletic and just engulfs DEs.
Post #: 571
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/17/2021 4:31:17 PM   
beo

quote:

Burns got Darrisaw once(Kirk 20 yard run) but he looks the part. Athletic and just engulfs DEs.

Agreed... looks very solid.

I think he has some work to do on footwork and assignments, however, he does NOT get overpowered.

I'd actually say he may look like our best lineman out there.

I know a lot of people are high on O'Neil... but he has trouble with anchor at times as well.
Post #: 572
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/17/2021 5:03:53 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

Agreed... looks very solid.

I think he has some work to do on footwork and assignments, however, he does NOT get overpowered.

I'd actually say he may look like our best lineman out there.

I know a lot of people are high on O'Neil... but he has trouble with anchor at times as well.

Could be tough for Udoh going forward. Officials get a scouting report and just key in on those guys, even if another guy is just tackling guys.
Post #: 573
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/17/2021 5:46:02 PM   
Todd M

3-3 seems fair. We could easily be an overrated 5-1 or a snake bitten 1-5.

The hardest thing is watching it come down from the top to play in the way they feel is mathematically safest with a 1 to 8 point lead.
Post #: 574
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/17/2021 5:53:31 PM   
kgdabom

Arizona is 6-0 and we had them beat.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 575
Page:   <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode