Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/18/2021 9:11:44 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: GopherFan34

When the vikes recovered the Darnold fumble, that's when you go for the endzone on 1st down. Instead they got no points.

We are not murder hornets, swooping in to bite the heads off our enemies (with Ride of the Valkeries in the background).

Ours is a game of attrition.

We are a tiny noiseless spider, spinning a little web as we go … watchfull … patient … waiting for a nice plump fly to make a mistake … hoping … oh shit that breeze just blew our f*cking web to smithereens. So we begin again … spinning our little web …

Webs are some tough m************
Post #: 626
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/18/2021 9:14:54 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Ben Goessling
@GoesslingStrib 1h
Before today, Kirk Cousins had attempted 30 passes with the #Vikings tied or trailing by eight points or less in the final two minutes. No other NFL QB had attempted more than 15.

He was 4/5 for 30 yards on the Vikings’ 2-min drive today. In OT, he was 5/5 for 50 yards and a TD.

- can we get Brad to comment on this one?

I'd prefer Brad commented on the CB crew. With Peterson down, the Vikings need a miracle. And nobody delivers like Brad (Thielen and now Cousins).

😄
Post #: 627
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/18/2021 10:31:21 PM   
beo

Titans take down the Bills.
Really good game.
Post #: 628
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/18/2021 11:00:08 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

Zimmer Ball claims another victim: Patrick Peterson.

Because Zimmer hijacks this team's MOJO at the most inopportune times and refuses to put away opponents, Zimmer's team's have to ALWAYS play hard and forced to play starters up to the last second.

While Green Bay can rest players down the stretch, Minnesota's starters are fighting like Hell to eek out a win...Every week.

This leads to injuries, especially to your core players, ala, Patrick Peterson. If Zimmer would allow this team to put away opponents, this could leave several Vikings players fresher at the end of games, and give some bench players some playing time.

No way Pat Pete should be on IR right now. The last two weeks have contributed to Thielen and PP sustaining unnecessary hits/injuries at the end of games. This falls squarely on the shoulders of Mike Zimmer.

Zimmer deserves alot of angst but this is quite the reach.

Do you have a list of the GB players that rested at the end of the CHI or Cincy game?
Post #: 629
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/19/2021 7:32:21 AM   
Bill Jandro

Mike Zimmer, the gruff, surly Head Coach of the Minnesota Vikings, has a perception problem. Specifically, fans, members of the media and, one would assume, members of his football team’s top brass, are beginning to perceive him as a Coach who can talk the talk but is no longer able to walk the walk. Is his tough-guy persona a ruse? Is it some kind of long-ago conceived, elaborate bluff?

Since his arrival with the Vikings in 2014, Coach Zim has been trading heavily on his reputation as a defensive mastermind, and by extension a rough-and-tumble, chop-busting, ass-kicking, man’s man. But in 2021 the cracks in the armor are starting to show. It’s getting hard to tell if Mike Zimmer is the baddest cat in the room or just a Fraidy Cat.

https://purpleptsd.com/mike-zimmer-needs-to-step-on-the-gas/

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 630
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/19/2021 8:04:44 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

How bad were Darnold and his butterfinger WRs?

Bashaud Breeland, the former Clemson Tiger, earned a grade of 89.9 on PFF’s first review, allowing zero yards and zero receptions on eight targets. He also intercepted Darnold’s pass and forced another incompletion.

I am crossing my fingers that Breeland is quietly rounding into shape and becoming more acclimated to Zimmer's defense. I am not complaining about his last couple of games. I know he was coming off an injury/surgery, and Zimmer did not play the starters during the pre-season.

I wouldn't hold my breath. I saw a few drops that occurred in front of Breeland. He made a nice play on the pick. I have to give him his due on that play. He was helped out a couple of times by Carolina receivers self defending.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 631
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/19/2021 8:24:43 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Mike Zimmer, the gruff, surly Head Coach of the Minnesota Vikings, has a perception problem. Specifically, fans, members of the media and, one would assume, members of his football team’s top brass, are beginning to perceive him as a Coach who can talk the talk but is no longer able to walk the walk. Is his tough-guy persona a ruse? Is it some kind of long-ago conceived, elaborate bluff?

Since his arrival with the Vikings in 2014, Coach Zim has been trading heavily on his reputation as a defensive mastermind, and by extension a rough-and-tumble, chop-busting, ass-kicking, man’s man. But in 2021 the cracks in the armor are starting to show. It’s getting hard to tell if Mike Zimmer is the baddest cat in the room or just a Fraidy Cat.

https://purpleptsd.com/mike-zimmer-needs-to-step-on-the-gas/

Good article. Thanks for posting.

Is Zimmer capable of changing -- no, I don't think so. It would be interesting to know Kubiak's perspective. And Spielman's.
Post #: 632
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/19/2021 8:57:57 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

quote:

Ben Goessling
@GoesslingStrib 1h
Before today, Kirk Cousins had attempted 30 passes with the #Vikings tied or trailing by eight points or less in the final two minutes. No other NFL QB had attempted more than 15.

He was 4/5 for 30 yards on the Vikings’ 2-min drive today. In OT, he was 5/5 for 50 yards and a TD.

- can we get Brad to comment on this one?

I'd prefer Brad commented on the CB crew. With Peterson down, the Vikings need a miracle. And nobody delivers like Brad (Thielen and now Cousins).

😄

lol - thanks for the laugh ...
Post #: 633
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/19/2021 9:02:48 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

So We are 3-3. 2 of those losses were crushing and very close. Two of those wins were what I would call exceedingly frustrating to watch, depsite winning I felt emotionally destroyed almost as if we lost. both of those we were manhandling the other team. Carolina was doing nothing on offense. Nor did the Lions. But our team hosed it up late allowed the opponent to tie or even take a lead.

Some common themes in these tough losses and frustrating wins.
Failure to put the other team away when we had the chance.
Kicking failures have cost us in the two close losses.
Late mistakes in close games giving our opponents opportunity to come back.
Anemic, unimaginative, playing to too safe playcalling.
Making decisions that have no chance of success.

This team has way too much talent IMHO to be this average.

Coaching is a big reason we are failing. Playcalling sucks and we can't find a kicker to save our lives.

I see us rolling to a 9-8 record at best with our current production. and no playoffs.

I think a different head coach and they are 5-1.

First loss IMO was the direct result of being too scared to do anything in preseason. I doubt they jump off side 10 times if the played more snaps in August.

Clock management in multiple games has been awful. Some Playstation guru would be better.

Zimmer is too scared to win.

I think the next 5 games (all brutal) will eventually cost Zimmer and Speilman their jobs. The Vikings only hope is if Zimmer goes "Air Coryell" and that might cause his head to explode.
Post #: 634
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/19/2021 11:11:35 AM   
jbusse

Chase McLaughlin, on our practice squad for 2 months last season, now 9/9 on field goals (3/3 on 50+ yards) and 15/15 on extra points. Another one that got away.
Post #: 635
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/19/2021 11:25:00 AM   
Viking Rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Zimmer Ball claims another victim: Patrick Peterson.

Because Zimmer hijacks this team's MOJO at the most inopportune times and refuses to put away opponents, Zimmer's team's have to ALWAYS play hard and forced to play starters up to the last second.

While Green Bay can rest players down the stretch, Minnesota's starters are fighting like Hell to eek out a win...Every week.

This leads to injuries, especially to your core players, ala, Patrick Peterson. If Zimmer would allow this team to put away opponents, this could leave several Vikings players fresher at the end of games, and give some bench players some playing time.

No way Pat Pete should be on IR right now. The last two weeks have contributed to Thielen and PP sustaining unnecessary hits/injuries at the end of games. This falls squarely on the shoulders of Mike Zimmer.

Zimmer deserves alot of angst but this is quite the reach.

Do you have a list of the GB players that rested at the end of the CHI or Cincy game?

I don't think it's a reach at all. Every game the Vikings have to scratch and claw at the end of games. Not just this season, it seems like every season since Zimmer has been the head coach. It's easy to see.

As for Green Bay, I have idea about their players injury status at the end of games. My point was that they often are relaxing at the end of games because they are willing to put away teams early.

You picked out a 2 games this season that they had close games. But if you look at last year, 9 of their wins were by double digits, and they have 3 more this year, INCLUDING the Bears game.

Look at it any way you want, but constant close games means more wear and tear. Pat Pete got injured on Carolina's final desperate drive to tie the game. If they were comfortably ahead, that doesn't happen.

Zimmer Ball sucks

Sam Darnold's Gonna Shock Us All
Post #: 636
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/19/2021 11:25:14 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

Chase McLaughlin, on our practice squad for 2 months last season, now 9/9 on field goals (3/3 on 50+ yards) and 15/15 on extra points. Another one that got away.

Zim would've ruined him. It's what he does.
Post #: 637
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/19/2021 11:25:43 AM   
thebigo

Title of Zimmer video on vikings.com: We Have To Put Our Foot on Team's Throats When We Have The Chance
Post #: 638
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/19/2021 11:28:33 AM   
marty

I still wouldn't trust Carlson for a game winner in a playoff game, despite his regular season success.

I am not sure if Zimmer ruins kickers, or if he doesn't convey confidence, or whatever it is winning HCs convey to their kickers.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 639
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/19/2021 11:44:19 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine
quote:

Zim would've ruined him. It's what he does.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 640
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/19/2021 11:54:27 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I still wouldn't trust Carlson for a game winner in a playoff game, despite his regular season success.

I am not sure if Zimmer ruins kickers, or if he doesn't convey confidence, or whatever it is winning HCs convey to their kickers.

Blair Walsh was all pro. Dan Bailey was the most accurate kicker in history. Carlson missed three of four FGs for us in the TWO GAMES we kept him (he was one of only two drafted kickers that year - the other was Jason Sanders). Since we cut him he's missed 12 total out of 92. That's 87% including being 7 of 11 from 50+.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 641
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/19/2021 12:25:58 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

So basically we bring in then destroy good kickers from around the league, but equalize things by being a kicking farm team for the league.

Strange considering we rely so much on FGs.
Post #: 642
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/19/2021 12:34:19 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

Blair Walsh was all pro. Dan Bailey was the most accurate kicker in history. Carlson missed three of four FGs for us in the TWO GAMES we kept him (he was one of only two drafted kickers that year - the other was Jason Sanders). Since we cut him he's missed 12 total out of 92. That's 87% including being 7 of 11 from 50+.

Based on post game comments about Joseph, Zimmer seems committed to being more positive or at least, giving a longer leash to the kicker this year.

An acknowledgement probably of his past meddling.

Of course, its a catch-22 right? Drop the axe too soon and you might be rejecting a Carlson ... hang on too long and your Walsh has more opportunities to not get it right.

I think Spielman and Zimmer have tried different things but, at this point, I'm not sure they can get out of their own way ... even when they just stand and watch and do nothing.
Post #: 643
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/19/2021 12:35:51 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

So basically we bring in then destroy good kickers from around the league, but equalize things by being a kicking farm team for the league.

Smothered in irony.
Post #: 644
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/19/2021 1:34:26 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

FG Kicker is the mvp of Zimmer ball.

You'd think they would trade anything for the best K in the league.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 645
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/20/2021 7:39:16 AM   
jbusse

Nice angle of the winning Cousins to Osborn TD:

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1449843542851928067
Post #: 646
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/20/2021 8:38:03 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

Nice angle of the winning Cousins to Osborn TD:

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1449843542851928067

Nice. I read somewhere where he was the third option - no, Cousins was looking at him all the way!
Post #: 647
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/20/2021 8:41:00 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

Based on post game comments about Joseph, Zimmer seems committed to being more positive or at least, giving a longer leash to the kicker this year.

Of course, its a catch-22 right? Drop the axe too soon and you might be rejecting a Carlson ... hang on too long and your Walsh has more opportunities to not get it right.

I think Spielman and Zimmer have tried different things but, at this point, I'm not sure they can get out of their own way ... even when they just stand and watch and do nothing.

I've noticed that even prior to this last hiccup as well.

This one didn't cost them the game, though, so maybe it made swallowing the pill a little easier.
Post #: 648
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/20/2021 10:09:14 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

This one didn't cost them the game, though, so maybe it made swallowing the pill a little easier.

We just can't expect our kickers to be 100%. When Green Bay played Cincinnati Mason Crosby missed THREE field goals - and Green Bay still won. The offenses job isn't over once we're in field goal range and the kick should never be taken for granted. This isn't a knock on Cousins (who has been mostly excellent this season) but more a knock on the coaches and fans - driving the team into field goal range DOES NOT constitute a game-winning drive. It's only a game-winning-drive if the kicker makes it. If you don't want to take an 80% chance on a win then scheme for a TD. Blaming your kicker for losses is a coward's way out.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 649
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/20/2021 10:44:01 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We just can't expect our kickers to be 100%. When Green Bay played Cincinnati Mason Crosby missed THREE field goals - and Green Bay still won. The offenses job isn't over once we're in field goal range and the kick should never be taken for granted. This isn't a knock on Cousins (who has been mostly excellent this season) but more a knock on the coaches and fans - driving the team into field goal range DOES NOT constitute a game-winning drive. It's only a game-winning-drive if the kicker makes it. If you don't want to take an 80% chance on a win then scheme for a TD. Blaming your kicker for losses is a coward's way out.

That's right, and it's why in these close-game situations the analytics call for more aggressive play calling even after the team is in field goal range. Zimmer seems to not trust Cousins enough (e.g., worry too much about a pick or an incomplete pass that stops the clock) and trust his defense too much. It's like he's still coaching the 2017 team, when the defense was much better (until the playoffs, that is), and Keenum had the tendency to make an ill advised pass every once in a while.
Post #: 650
Page:   <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode