Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/27/2021 7:38:12 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Coming out of the bye week at 3-3 heading into the meat grinder portion of the schedule. It's not looking good. We've beat Detroit, Carolina, and Seattle. We've lost to Cincinnati, Arizona, and Cleveland.

The records of the teams we beat: 0-7, 3-4, 2-5

The records of the teams we lost to: 7-0, 4-3, 5-2

Nothing has changed. Zimmer beats up on the crap teams and loses to the good teams. We're the very definition of mediocre. I don't see it changing - ever.

We made a fg on one game and we win. Phantom fumble not called and we likely win that too..

We could be 5-1

Your conclusion is a bit broad.

Winners find ways to win those games. Losers find ways to lose them.

If two other plays go differently we could be 1-5.

Yep. That's pretty much always the case when somebody says...a couple of breaks go our way and we have a great record. They are usually also a couple of breaks from being even worse.

I call it "The Losers Lament"...

I don't agree. It's just a positive way of looking at your team being better than what the record says ... for most. We did beat those teams. Just didn't score more points. Because the kick goes wide right doesn't mean our talent over all is worse than their talent -- except for the kicking game of course ;) -- and because an official on the field and in the booth can't get a fumble right doesn't mean we are not are not better than the opponent. Going forward we should know we are good enough to win against anyone we play, instead of not good enough because of one kick or a call that wasn't correct in spite of "their efforts" to get it right.

Looking at the team in one's own subjective way doesn't make one a loser. Just saying ...

If there was ever an up-for-grabs year it's this one!

#staypositive
Post #: 751
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/27/2021 8:45:50 AM   
David F.

Green Bay missed three kicks vs Cincinnati and still won.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 752
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/27/2021 10:28:34 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

Dustin Baker
@DustBaker
·
13h
The Vikings have been flagged for offensive holding 17 times in 6 games. This is the most offensive holding penalties in the NFL thru 7 weeks.

- ouch!

I wonder who has the fewest. Any guesses?

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties.html?sort=oh

A different kind of news:

The Vikings offensive line has produced its lowest sack% (3.6%) of all time throughout the first six games of the season, a stat dating back to 1970.

The line has only given up 9 sacks through 6 games, which is tied for the lowest in team history.

Especially considering that of our 6 opponents, 4 are in the top 7 of the league in sacks.

Team (sack ranking) - sacks vs Vikes

Cinncinati (5) - 3 sacks
Arizona (6) - 1 sack
Seahags (25) - 1 sack
Brownies (3) - 2 sacks
Kitties (20) - 2 sacks
Panthers (7) - 0 sacks

While digging through this stuff, I noticed the Vikings defense has a hurry % of 19.7, next highest team in the league is Pittsburg at 15.9
Post #: 753
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/27/2021 11:20:44 AM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

The biggest thing right now for me with Zimmer is his disingenuous comment of we have to learn to step on opponents throats when we have the chance. When everything runs under his risk adverse umbrella...don't say we...

If he was running a fat camp he'd be the counselor sneaking midnight snacks and then saying we have to be more disciplined.

Very good post.

Perfection!
Post #: 754
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/27/2021 11:29:36 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Coming out of the bye week at 3-3 heading into the meat grinder portion of the schedule. It's not looking good. We've beat Detroit, Carolina, and Seattle. We've lost to Cincinnati, Arizona, and Cleveland.

Nothing has changed. Zimmer beats up on the crap teams and loses to the good teams. We're the very definition of mediocre. I don't see it changing - ever.

We made a fg on one game and we win. Phantom fumble not called and we likely win that too..

We could be 5-1

Yep. That's pretty much always the case when somebody says...a couple of breaks go our way and we have a great record. They are usually also a couple of breaks from being even worse.

I don't agree. It's just a positive way of looking at your team being better than what the record says ... for most. We did beat those teams. Just didn't score more points. Because the kick goes wide right doesn't mean our talent over all is worse than their talent -- except for the kicking game of course ;) -- and because an official on the field and in the booth can't get a fumble right doesn't mean we are not are not better than the opponent. Going forward we should know we are good enough to win against anyone we play, instead of not good enough because of one kick or a call that wasn't correct in spite of "their efforts" to get it right.

Looking at the team in one's own subjective way doesn't make one a loser. Just saying ...

#staypositive

Do you do the same thing in Vikings wins?
Post #: 755
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/27/2021 12:56:31 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

Yeah but, God likes them ...
Post #: 756
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/27/2021 12:57:48 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We could be 5-1

#staypositive

Do you do the same thing in Vikings wins?

I laugh and say "They owed us"
Always will as far as I'm concerned
Post #: 757
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/27/2021 1:09:59 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

To be fair to Cousins, he has engineered 18 game winning drives over his career.

Which is far more than I realized. It puts him currently at #69 all time (for game winning drives). there are obviously a bazillion variables to that ...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/gwd_career.htm

I haven't found current stats for game winning walk-off TDs ...

Someone called footballperspective.com has Cousins with 7 game winning TDs before 2020 ... did he throw any last season? I honestly can't remember. The NO playoff game and last weekend are the only 2 TDs I do remember ...

https://www.footballperspective.com/which-quarterback-has-thrown-the-most-game-winning-touchdowns-through-2019/

If no, he currently has 8 walk off TDs (incl CAR last weekend) which, again, is more than I have been giving him credit for.

I dunno. Even watching him play really well this year ... it just feels like he is too risk-averse, too methodical ... taking what he can get over looking downfield for chunk plays.

Then again, 57-57-2 ... he gets way too much blame and credit ... but 57-57-2

There should be a stat "shoulda-been-game-winning-drive". I remember Daunte Culpepper leading us back for leads in the 4th quarter (sometimes multiple times anybody remember the Doug O'brien/Buffalo game?) many times, yet the defense would immediately piss the lead away. And Culpepper got the rep as a QB who couldn't rally a team.

Cousins has more game winning TDs than Two-minute Tommy but unless he does some damage in playoff games, I doubt he will ever reach that level of sentimental value for fans.

But I am biased, for my money he is just too blah.

There is one other option ... besides a SB ... that would completely alter my opinion of Cousins,

if he did this:

https://twitter.com/QuirkyResearch/status/1453343393493536768
Post #: 758
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/27/2021 1:29:46 PM   
Todd M

I love that!
Post #: 759
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/27/2021 3:42:44 PM   
marty

Tom, would Kirk have to run in the winning TD, and then have a reputed dirty player go for his ankle after he's scored ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 760
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/27/2021 3:43:57 PM   
marty

Still think Cincy and Arizona will finish last in their divisions ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 761
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/27/2021 4:05:18 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

To be fair to Cousins, he has engineered 18 game winning drives over his career.

Which is far more than I realized. It puts him currently at #69 all time (for game winning drives). there are obviously a bazillion variables to that ...

Someone called footballperspective.com has Cousins with 7 game winning TDs before 2020 ... did he throw any last season? I honestly can't remember. The NO playoff game and last weekend are the only 2 TDs I do remember ...

https://www.footballperspective.com/which-quarterback-has-thrown-the-most-game-winning-touchdowns-through-2019/

If no, he currently has 8 walk off TDs (incl CAR last weekend) which, again, is more than I have been giving him credit for.

I dunno. Even watching him play really well this year ... it just feels like he is too risk-averse, too methodical ... taking what he can get over looking downfield for chunk plays.

There should be a stat "shoulda-been-game-winning-drive". I remember Daunte Culpepper leading us back for leads in the 4th quarter (sometimes multiple times anybody remember the Doug O'brien/Buffalo game?) many times, yet the defense would immediately piss the lead away. And Culpepper got the rep as a QB who couldn't rally a team.

Cousins has more game winning TDs than Two-minute Tommy but unless he does some damage in playoff games, I doubt he will ever reach that level of sentimental value for fans.

There is one other option ... besides a SB ... that would completely alter my opinion of Cousins,

if he did this:

Any particular player you would like to see Cousins bean in the helmet after a touchdown?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 762
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/27/2021 4:06:57 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Interestingly enough, Because Cincinnati missed some kicks too.

That doesn't make Green Bay more of a winner.

It just makes them lucky

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 763
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/27/2021 4:32:04 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

if he did this:

Any particular player you would like to see Cousins bean in the helmet after a touchdown?

Mike Zimmer or Rick Spielman…

Yea, not players.. but ..

EPIC!

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 764
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/27/2021 7:18:12 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Tom, would Kirk have to run in the winning TD, and then have a reputed dirty player go for his ankle after he's scored ?

Don’t try and ruin it.

It’s feistiness in its purest form.

Ok he didnt win any super bowls … but how many back-brain occipital lobes did he pulverise in his bloodthirsty griddy-my-ass victory celebrations?

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 10/27/2021 7:19:18 PM >
Post #: 765
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/27/2021 8:40:16 PM   
marty

It was very cool Tom, I had never seen it before [too young], first started watching in about '78.

I wasn't trying to ruin it, just pointing out what I had read in the Twitter and news column linked along with your Twit.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 766
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/27/2021 10:06:26 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

if he did this:

EPIC!

Best you could hope for is a zero yard pass in the flat flies over the receivers head and beans Zimmer. I think that would be poetic, somehow.
Post #: 767
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/27/2021 10:14:43 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

if he did this:

EPIC!

Classic!!!
Post #: 768
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/27/2021 10:39:43 PM  1 votes
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

if he did this:

EPIC!

Classic!!!

quote:

Hoiseth
Post #: 769
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/28/2021 2:19:42 PM   
Tom Sykes

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
1h
So rookie running back Kene Nwangwu will return kickoffs Sunday, becoming the third guy to do it this season for the #Vikings. Ihmir Smith-Marsette started out doing it before suffering a toe injury, followed by Ameer Abdullah, who has since been released & is now with Carolina

————

I have an out of proprtion curiosity to see what Nwangwu looks like … even if he’s just raising his arms to signal touchback. I mean, hopefully more than that but I didnt expect to see him on the field at all this year …

He’s still on my draft enigma list.
Post #: 770
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/28/2021 7:14:22 PM   
jbusse

quote:

1h
So rookie running back Kene Nwangwu will return kickoffs Sunday, becoming the third guy to do it this season for the #Vikings. Ihmir Smith-Marsette started out doing it before suffering a toe injury, followed by Ameer Abdullah, who has since been released & is now with Carolina

————

I have an out of proprtion curiosity to see what Nwangwu looks like … even if he’s just raising his arms to signal touchback. I mean, hopefully more than that but I didnt expect to see him on the field at all this year …

Can't be too much of an enigma with 4.32 speed. Watch his interview, and I guess you'll begin to warm up to him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tbOyf7bNIE
Post #: 771
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/28/2021 8:27:04 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

1h

————

Can't be too much of an enigma with 4.32 speed. Watch his interview, and I guess you'll begin to warm up to him:

He's got Michael Bennett speed.
Post #: 772
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/28/2021 9:21:48 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

1h

————

I'm very very skeptical. At least for anything than a KR.

Hope I make a fool of myself again with this but ... he just looks like a track guy to me.

Drafted too high. Seems like a Böhringer pick.

Will he do more than KRs? I don't see it at RB. Maybe other ST roles while he develops ...

missing preseason/IR didn't help his development.

I'll be hoping for the best but expecting the mediocrest.

Definitely seems like a good kid ... I'd rather see him running into the endzone bonking people in the back of the head with the football.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 10/28/2021 9:23:07 PM >
Post #: 773
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/28/2021 9:38:25 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

1h

————

I'm very very skeptical. At least for anything than a KR.

Hope I make a fool of myself again with this but ... he just looks like a track guy to me.

Drafted too high. Seems like a Böhringer pick.

Will he do more than KRs? I don't see it at RB. Maybe other ST roles while he develops ...

missing preseason/IR didn't help his development.

I'll be hoping for the best but expecting the mediocrest.

Definitely seems like a good kid ... I'd rather see him running into the endzone bonking people in the back of the head with the football.

He may very well do nothing like some of the recent speedy wide receivers such as Chisena and Rodney Adams. He's got an NFL body maybe more than just a track guy. The comparison to Michael Bennett seems like a good one. I'd take a few long TD runs.

+1 for the umlaut.
Post #: 774
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/29/2021 10:34:36 AM   
David Levine

Really solid article. Hugely complimentary of both guys:

What sets Cowboys' CeeDee Lamb and Vikings' Justin Jefferson apart? NFL evaluators tell us

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32490107/what-sets-cowboys-ceedee-lamb-vikings-justin-jefferson-apart-nfl-evaluators-tell-us
Post #: 775
Page:   <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode