Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  63 64 [65] 66 67   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 9:00:55 AM   
Todd M

I'm kind of hoping there's a deal to be made with Cousins.

Would something like getting a 2nd rp and we pay 20 million of his salary next year be possible?
Post #: 1601
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 9:12:16 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Bottom line is: Spielman, Zimmer, and Cousins have failed.

Hold whatever positive light for any or all but there is no denying they've failed to deliver. Somewhat embarrassing at times. 1 10 win season and 1 playoff win/no division titles is failing.

Clean house.

This is really the key: that triad has failed. Two are easy to move on from, one requires some work and sacrifice.
Post #: 1602
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 9:40:49 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

His girlfriend is scouting the coaches waiver wire as we speak. She knows she isn't good enough for the top tier coaches, and might have to go with a Nagy type.

Items on shopping list:

Is red-faced and feisty on and off the field

Has a big league but harmless potty mouth

Very vulnerable when it matters most

Post #: 1603
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 10:22:21 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

Would something like getting a 2nd rp and we pay 20 million of his salary next year be possible?

Steelers fans on Reddit would take him.. if the salary splits could be worked out..

Cousins fn insane guaranteed number.. is a 2-3 year albatross that is gonna harm this team and piss off guys like JJ, for years.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1604
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 10:32:42 AM   
ronhextall

I would give a new coach a chance with Cousins in 2022. After that it’s over.

If somebody wants to take on his contract trade him but that means Mond.
Post #: 1605
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 10:47:40 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

I would give a new coach a chance with Cousins in 2022. After that it’s over.

If somebody wants to take on his contract trade him but that means Mond.

We'll most likely (iffy though) win 2 more, might get 3.

That would put us at 8-9 or 7-10 ish. That puts us in the top 10 for the draft.

Teams in the top 10 who will take a QB: Houston, Giants, Panthers, Falcons and maybe the Saints.

We have a chance to get a stud. I'm not banking on Mond at this point.
Post #: 1606
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 11:11:47 AM   
Pauldiercks1

I have very little issue with Cousins. He's not perfect but he is pretty good.
Many issues with Cousins I put on the coaches shoulders.
They have never put a good offensive line around Cousin and his weaknesses require that. The constant rotation of lineman even in season is ridiculous.

I was very disappointed in the defense on that last drive. I'm sure it's been discussed, but with 4 seconds left how do you not put some pressure on the QB and or how do you allow your DB's to play off the receiver so far? line up on them and cover for 4 seconds. Yes, that's longer than it seems but they were playing so far off it was an easy pitch and catch. That was incredibly disappointing to see how the defense handled that last drive.

Things happen in a game but the players fought back and took the lead. I feel poor coaching, philosophy, and adjustments are lacking or outdated. we continue to run run run at the goal line and we are not a good running team at all. by that I mean in goal line or 4th down, when teams expect us to run, rarely is there any push or opening from the offensive line, against a decent defensive front we do not run the ball well when it matters. our runs more often than not end in a two yard loss. I hate the smash everyone in the middle and run it right into the pile. We don't have the lineman to make that work regularly.

We have some good young talent on this team but we need a bit of a reset. We may still be in a playoff hunt but not a serious contender honestly. A Steelers win this week may be just what we need.
Sorry for my rant. I simply feel it's definitely time for a coaching and GM change.
Post #: 1607
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 11:24:55 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

They have never put a good offensive line around Cousin and his weaknesses require that. The constant rotation of lineman even in season is ridiculous.

I was very disappointed in the defense on that last drive. I'm sure it's been discussed, but with 4 seconds left how do you not put some pressure on the QB and or how do you allow your DB's to play off the receiver so far? line up on them and cover for 4 seconds. Yes, that's longer than it seems but they were playing so far off it was an easy pitch and catch. That was incredibly disappointing to see how the defense handled that last drive.

Things happen in a game but the players fought back and took the lead. I feel poor coaching, philosophy, and adjustments are lacking or outdated. we continue to run run run at the goal line and we are not a good running team at all. by that I mean in goal line or 4th down, when teams expect us to run, rarely is there any push or opening from the offensive line, against a decent defensive front we do not run the ball well when it matters. our runs more often than not end in a two yard loss. I hate the smash everyone in the middle and run it right into the pile. We don't have the lineman to make that work regularly.

We have some good young talent on this team but we need a bit of a reset. We may still be in a playoff hunt but not a serious contender honestly. A Steelers win this week may be just what we need.
Sorry for my rant. I simply feel it's definitely time for a coaching and GM change.

Zimmer's been doing that for his entire tenure here. He did it on a big fourth down that allowed Brees to have all day to find Willie Sneed on the drive just before the Minneapolis Miracle. When the pressure is on, Zimmer shrinks. He's too afraid to take a risk so he just sits back in coverage and hopes for the best.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1608
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 12:26:31 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

Zimmer's been doing that for his entire tenure here. He did it on a big fourth down that allowed Brees to have all day to find Willie Sneed on the drive just before the Minneapolis Miracle. When the pressure is on, Zimmer shrinks. He's too afraid to take a risk so he just sits back in coverage and hopes for the best.

Bingo!!!

Zimmer coaches scared. He plays his guys scared. He's scared of making a mistake. So He plays soft. In the end it looks worse. And I will bet that he was more worried about it this game because of the 75 yard TD given up vs Green Bay on a blitz. The problem here is that Goff is not on the same planet as Rogers and wilts under pressure and they didn't nothing to get in his grill. The only play we did we damn near forced a turnover that would have won the game, but NO, keep just rushing three and putting 8 guys in ultra soft coverage.

Dantzler, you had ONE job. Keep your guy out of the endzone at all costs....you can't do that if you are three yards deep in the endzone. Dumbass

About Cousins.
He can make all the throws. he's accurate. But he's more risk averse than Zimmer. He NEVER calls an audible at the LOS. All the greats do. If the call says run play right, and the defense is all lined up bunched there he doesn't change the call. He's also not opportunistic. When Aaron Rogers sees a guy jump offside he never misses the chance at free play. Cousins still runs the stupid ass play called. He takes the safer throw a lot when a bigger play is there for the taking. He gets the stats but he does it by being largely spineless and takes almost no chances.

When your risk averse coach is urging you to take more shots....that's a BIG RED FLAG.

If there is a reason Cousins will never progress beyond what he is it is that.

He's a good QB that will never win the big games because he is afraid to take a risk and never questions the play called. It's like he doesn't bother reading the defense, or is incapable of it.

I don't care what the market for QBs is right now. Cousins is NOT work the money that is set out for him for next year. Get him off the team no matter what it takes.

< Message edited by Trekgeekscott -- 12/7/2021 12:29:13 PM >

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 1609
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 12:31:14 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

His girlfriend is scouting the coaches waiver wire as we speak. She knows she isn't good enough for the top tier coaches, and might have to go with a Nagy type.

Items on shopping list:

Is red-faced and feisty on and off the field

Has a big league but harmless potty mouth

Very vulnerable when it matters most

Innate ability to throw others under the bus.
Post #: 1610
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 12:42:26 PM   
Bill Johanesen

The negatives on Cousins being posted here are the same thing Redskins fans were saying.

He has the stats like the big boys, but he'll never be able to rub elbows with them.
Post #: 1611
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 12:45:58 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

You want to play high-roller, you have to pay. Forget about receiving anything and send out a draft pick.
Post #: 1612
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 12:51:21 PM   
David Levine

According to Courtney Cronin of ESPN, the Vikings have allowed 101 points in the last two minutes of any half this season. Given that the Vikings have allowed 305 points in their first 12 games, that means that a full one-third of the points that this defense has allowed this season have come in the final two minutes of a half.

In the last 20 years, the most points that any defense has given up in those situations in a season is 107. The Vikings, given current trends, will probably (at least) tie that mark at the end of the first half of Thursday’s game against the Pittsburgh Steelers at U.S. Bank Stadium. And, just to show that this isn’t as recent a development as some might think, that 107-point record that Cronin referenced was set by last year’s Vikings, who also had trouble stopping teams at the end of a half.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2021/12/6/22821296/minnesota-vikings-late-half-defense-record
Post #: 1613
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 1:05:03 PM   
David Levine

But being the victim of Detroit’s first win is inexcusable, no matter who is on the field. Goff went 6-for-10 for 124 yards and two touchdowns on throws traveling more than 10 yards down field Sunday. He threw one touchdown and four interceptions on throws traveling the same distance in his first nine games of the season combined.

https://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/31518/31518-mike-zimmers-underachieving-defense-may-have-sealed-his-fate-in-minnesota
Post #: 1614
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 1:06:42 PM   
David Levine

Zimmer said he probably should have dialed up more pressure on Detroit’s final drive – Minnesota sent just three rushers on the Lions’ TD – but the Vikings let Goff off the hook. Minnesota blitzed on just 14% of Goff’s dropbacks, the lowest blitz rate they’ve ever had against him, according to ESPN Stats and Information.

“We weren’t covering that great,” Zimmer said. “So, I mean, everything is hindsight, I guess.”

---------

Is it really hindsight when it happens over and over again?

Maybe Zim is like the dude from Memento and he's not capable of creating new memories...
Post #: 1615
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 1:59:46 PM   
David F.

Remove the last two minutes of halves and the Vikings record would be 8-3-1. We are 5-7 (duh). Among many things, this tells me that Zimmer doesn't differentiate the difference in game conditions and scenarios. He neither applies urgency when the situation dictates it nor does he anticipate urgency in the opponent. It also tells me that his clock management is shit and is being exploited by the opposition (again duh).

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1616
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 2:27:54 PM   
Jeff Jesser

When your risk averse coach is urging you to take more shots....that's a BIG RED FLAG.

To me this is BS. Not that you mentioned it but the fact that Zimmer did say that. He may say these things but no way in hell he really believes it. It's an easy scapegoat tactic. I never thought of it, and forgot who mentioned it not that long ago, but it was perfect and encompasses Zimmer's entire tenure here.

2 people on offense went rogue on his 'vision' and they were promptly sent packing. Every other person who's had tenure has agreed lock step with his vision of what he wants in his offense. That's on him 100%. He needs to go if we want to compete. I'm sure a lot of that was overlooked when his D was upper echelon. They suck now so what's the point in keeping him?

And don't let him use our injuries as another excuse. They sucked when they were healthy. This is a couple year problem.
Post #: 1617
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 2:30:20 PM   
Jeff Jesser

We are #30 in total D and everyone of them is a Zimmer guy. He didn't inherent any of them. All guys that he and RS brought in.
Post #: 1618
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 2:31:08 PM   
Jeff Jesser

The really head scratching thing is that when his D's were good it was ST's that killed him. Now that's probably our best overall unit
Post #: 1619
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 3:03:00 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Zimmer said he probably should have dialed up more pressure on Detroit’s final drive – Minnesota sent just three rushers on the Lions’ TD – but the Vikings let Goff off the hook. Minnesota blitzed on just 14% of Goff’s dropbacks, the lowest blitz rate they’ve ever had against him, according to ESPN Stats and Information.

“We weren’t covering that great,” Zimmer said. “So, I mean, everything is hindsight, I guess.”

---------

Is it really hindsight when it happens over and over again?

Maybe Zim is like the dude from Memento and he's not capable of creating new memories...

The worst part is I think we sack Goff if he has to hold the ball 1 more second(on last play).

If Woods or Dantzler were just somewhat engaged instead of asleep, we win.

But, it would just postpone the inevitable. In a couple weeks we will be talking about some other monumental breakdown.
Post #: 1620
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 3:09:26 PM   
Trekgeekscott

If it isn't clear now, Zimmer is NEVER going to take the Gatorade shower.

If your defense goes soft in crunch time there is no way you will ever sniff a Superbowl. and don't give me injuries as an excuse! When we were as healthy as can be, this shit was still happening.

It's time to move on. I see NO reason to wait.

< Message edited by Trekgeekscott -- 12/7/2021 3:11:21 PM >

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 1621
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 3:17:36 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

If it isn't clear now, Zimmer is NEVER going to take the Gatorade shower.

If your defense goes soft in crunch time there is no way you will ever sniff a Superbowl. and don't give me injuries as an excuse! When we were as healthy as can be, this shit was still happening.

It's time to move on. I see NO reason to wait.

A bad PITT loss, coupled with a few extra days going into the next week, should get us an Interim Coach for the rest of the year.

I hope we win and make a run but things don't look good.
Post #: 1622
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 4:15:49 PM   
Mark Anderson

Any thoughts on hiring Eden Prairie's Todd Downing?

Pretty good resume. Local ties.

Bud Grant Part II
Post #: 1623
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 4:34:24 PM   
marty

Cousins had a good OL in Washington, still lost many regular season games there, and never won a playoff game there.

A good OL won't make him clutch in the playoffs, and probably not against good teams in the regular season. All a good OL would do, is probably lead to regular season wins against the teams that suck.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1624
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 4:37:05 PM   
marty

I don't even want to see Cousins paired with a good HC, would rather see what Mond, or a 1st round pick next year do.

Let some other unsuspecting team take Cousins next year. Maybe Denver, LA Rams, Indy, or Carolina wants to see what he can do for them.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1625
Page:   <<   < prev  63 64 [65] 66 67   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  63 64 [65] 66 67   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode