Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 5:11:24 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I don't even want to see Cousins paired with a good HC, would rather see what Mond, or a 1st round pick next year do.

Let some other unsuspecting team take Cousins next year. Maybe Denver, LA Rams, Indy, or Carolina wants to see what he can do for them.

We need to draft 2 QBs and sign a mid level guy along with Mond. Time to take QB position as serious as Denny did.
Post #: 1626
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 7:23:23 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

I don't even want to see Cousins paired with a good HC, would rather see what Mond, or a 1st round pick next year do.

Let some other unsuspecting team take Cousins next year. Maybe Denver, LA Rams, Indy, or Carolina wants to see what he can do for them.

We need to draft 2 QBs and sign a mid level guy along with Mond. Time to take QB position as serious as Denny did.

What, high draft picks and/or huge FA contracts for Gannon, McMahon, Moon, late rounder Brad Johnson, Cunningham, George, and (the exception) Culpepper?

The OL, WRs, and post-injury Robert Smith defined Green.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 12/7/2021 7:32:30 PM >
Post #: 1627
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 7:29:08 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Even Bouman looked all world throwing to Randy Moss.
Post #: 1628
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 7:34:53 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Even Bouman looked all world throwing to Randy Moss.

NFC offensive player of the week!

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1629
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 8:07:03 PM  2 votes
Bill Jandro

Thus far Jefferson might be the closest thing any wr has been compared to Moss. how cousins can ignore him for half's of games is inescusable. This kid is a stud.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1630
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 9:34:16 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

What, high draft picks and/or huge FA contracts for Gannon, McMahon, Moon, late rounder Brad Johnson, Cunningham, George, and (the exception) Culpepper?

In my book, having a 1st team All Pro guy(RC), then drafting a guy #11 overall(DC) and signing ultra talented Jeff George seems like taking the position seriously.

The only time we have taken it as seriously(since then) was with TJack, Rosenfals and Favre.
Post #: 1631
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 9:40:48 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Thus far Jefferson might be the closest thing any wr has been compared to Moss. how cousins can ignore him for half's of games is inescusable. This kid is a stud.

8 out of 12 games he has been targeted 9 or more times. 2 of the other games, 8 times.

Is that ignoring?
Post #: 1632
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 10:02:51 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

In my book, having a 1st team All Pro guy(RC), then drafting a guy #11 overall(DC) and signing ultra talented Jeff George seems like taking the position seriously.

The only time we have taken it as seriously(since then) was with TJack, Rosenfals and Favre.

Signing Cousins wasn't "taking it seriously"? Sam Bradford was easily on the level of many of those Denny moves.

We brought Randall Cunningham out of retirement. No one ever questioned Jeff George's talent, but no one wanted him. He had 1 winning season (9-7) in his 9 year career before we signed him. And as good as he was for us, we didn't even attempt to resign him.

Even drafting Ponder was "taking it seriously". He was the 12th overall pick (TJack was 64th). Heck, if TJack was a serious attempt, what is Mond (pick 66)?

You can take things very seriously and still make really bad decisions. That's basically most of the history of the Vikings regarding the QB position.
Post #: 1633
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 10:05:47 PM   
David Levine

The one thing Denny did that the guys following him didn't was admit he was wrong a lot faster.

Denny had 7 different QBs lead the team in passing in 9 years. The drafting of Culpepper was the first time Denny didn't have a stop-gap guy in the position.
Post #: 1634
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2021 10:22:14 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Signing Cousins wasn't "taking it seriously"? Sam Bradford was easily on the level of many of those Denny moves.

We brought Randall Cunningham out of retirement. No one ever questioned Jeff George's talent, but no one wanted him. He had 1 winning season (9-7) in his 9 year career before we signed him. And as good as he was for us, we didn't even attempt to resign him.

Even drafting Ponder was "taking it seriously". He was the 12th overall pick (TJack was 64th). Heck, if TJack was a serious attempt, what is Mond (pick 66)?

You can take things very seriously and still make really bad decisions. That's basically most of the history of the Vikings regarding the QB position.

My original post is about having competition and not putting all your eggs into one basket(Cousins, Ponder).

Denny had competent backups who sometimes were just as good as the starter.
Post #: 1635
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/8/2021 1:22:20 AM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Denny tried talking Marino out of retirement too...

Denny's talent was being able to make just about any QB look good... he certainly had faults but his passing game was almost always effective.

(but if the other team had the ball last... his defenses weren't going to stop anything)
Post #: 1636
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/8/2021 10:11:42 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Denny tried talking Marino out of retirement too...

Denny's talent was being able to make just about any QB look good... he certainly had faults but his passing game was almost always effective.

(but if the other team had the ball last... his defenses weren't going to stop anything)

When your offensive line was as good as it was, and you had two Hall of Famers at WR, of course the passing game was almost always effective.

Any QB would look good under those circumstances. Cunningham and Johnson proved that.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 1637
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/8/2021 10:45:22 AM   
marty

Cunningham was an MVP in Philly with arguably the worst OL in the league.

Johnson won the SB playing with a pretty mediocre OL in Tampa, but a pair of good RBs and a great defense.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1638
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/8/2021 11:16:26 AM   
David Levine

quote:

7 years before we plucked him out of retirement. He was a very different QB with us than with Philly.

quote:

Johnson won the SB playing with a pretty mediocre OL in Tampa, but a pair of good RBs and a great defense.

Bill Callahan should've been the MVP of that Tampa SB...
Post #: 1639
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/8/2021 11:28:09 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

7 years before we plucked him out of retirement. He was a very different QB with us than with Philly.

quote:

Gannon vrs. Johnson

More Denny QBs.
Post #: 1640
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/8/2021 12:04:34 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Gannon vrs. Johnson

More Denny QBs.

Nobody burned through QBs like Denny.

I wonder if Gannon would've become good if he had stayed in Minny? Although I can't see putting up with 6 more years to find out...
Post #: 1641
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/8/2021 12:48:56 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

And after just one year of awesome with us. He turned to shit. So bad they benched him and Jeff George took over.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 1642
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/8/2021 1:52:28 PM   
David F.

Here's a fun fact I just looked up. In our five wins this year, Justin Jefferson had an average target share of 28.8%. In our seven losses, he had an average target share of 22.86%. Included in that share during the losses is a 34% share last Sunday at Detroit - where Thielen got injured on his first catch. Ignoring the game where Thielen went out early, the target share percentage for Jefferson in our losses is 21%.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1643
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/8/2021 2:00:31 PM   
David F.

In the game where the great Cooper Rush came to down and defeated our beloved Vikings Jefferson was targeted as follows:

1st Quarter: complete for 3 yards, incomplete but defensive PI for 14 yards, incomplete
2nd Quarter: NO TARGETS
3rd Quarter: incomplete but illegal contact for 5 yards, catch for 18 yards
4th Quarter: incomplete

7 targets. 1 target total in the 2nd and 4th quarters. We lost by 4.

Frowny face emoji

Post #: 1644
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/8/2021 2:13:20 PM   
David F.

And the following week when we lost in OT at Baltimore (yours truly witnessed the game fist hand):

1st Quarter: completion for 3 yards, 50 yard TD!!!, completion for 7 yards.
2nd Quarter: incomplete
3rd Quarter: NO TARGETS
4th Quarter: incomplete, completion for 12 yards
OT: NO TARGETS

So basically Jefferson goes scorched earth on the Ravens who are clearly overlooking the lowly Vikings in the first quarter and so we capitalize on that by targeting him three more times the entire game.

Frowny face emoji with a tear.

Post #: 1645
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/8/2021 3:15:55 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

And the following week when we lost in OT at Baltimore (yours truly witnessed the game fist hand):

1st Quarter: completion for 3 yards, 50 yard TD!!!, completion for 7 yards.
2nd Quarter: incomplete
3rd Quarter: NO TARGETS
4th Quarter: incomplete, completion for 12 yards
OT: NO TARGETS

So basically Jefferson goes scorched earth on the Ravens who are clearly overlooking the lowly Vikings in the first quarter and so we capitalize on that by targeting him three more times the entire game.

Frowny face emoji with a tear.

And a fist hand.
Post #: 1646
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/8/2021 4:19:04 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

He's as good as most anyone in the league. Tremendous pick that has provided tremendous results. Many Viking and NFL & WR records are in jeopardy.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1647
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2021 7:32:52 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And didn't we take two players before Rogers was picked?

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/rbui9b/what_is_worst_single_draft_by_one_team
Post #: 1648
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2021 10:36:38 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And didn't we take two players before Rogers was picked?

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/rbui9b/what_is_worst_single_draft_by_one_team

Yes. Superstars Troy Williamson and Erasmus James.
Post #: 1649
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/9/2021 11:15:44 AM   
David F.

Paul Charchian
@PaulCharchian
·
13h
Oops.
Quote Tweet
Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
· 14h
The #Raiders are signing kicker Daniel Carlson to a four-year, $18.4 million extension that includes a $4M signing bonus and $10.2M guaranteed, per source. He’s now the NFL’s third-highest paid kicker. Money bagMoney bag
Mostly Snark

@BoutitDontwry
·
13h
If it makes Vikings fans feel better they would have had to let him leave because of the money anyway

Post #: 1650
Page:   <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode