Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  66 67 [68] 69 70   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 9:45:04 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

I posed the question last night and I pose it again. Should/could we trade our #1 pick for Justin Tucker?

the KICKER?

**** NO

Honestly, I'm not sure Baltimore would do it.

If you are patient with the young kicker you can draft one with a 6-7th round pick.

I wouldn't waste a 1st rounder on one. So why would i give one up in trade for one? and yes the Ravens would do it. A First round pick for a Kicker? They'd do it in a heartbeat.

The guy is a cold-blooded assassin. We'd have three more wins right now with Tucker. Name me another guy in the league (not playing quarterback) that wins you three games.

Greg Joseph has missed extra points in each of the past three games. Justin Tucker has missed four in his entire 10-year career.

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

HE IS NOT WORTH A FIRST ROUND PICK.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 1676
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 9:48:02 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I posed the question last night and I pose it again. Should/could we trade our #1 pick for Justin Tucker?

the KICKER?

**** NO

Having been to the game in Baltimore this year I can say (not that it's a secret) that they LOVE LOVE LOVE Justin Tucker there. The crowd cheers when he runs ON TO the field. They wouldn't trade him for a first rounder unless it was top ten.

I totally agree.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1677
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 9:48:50 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the KICKER?

**** NO

If you are patient with the young kicker you can draft one with a 6-7th round pick.

I wouldn't waste a 1st rounder on one. So why would i give one up in trade for one? and yes the Ravens would do it. A First round pick for a Kicker? They'd do it in a heartbeat.

The guy is a cold-blooded assassin. We'd have three more wins right now with Tucker. Name me another guy in the league (not playing quarterback) that wins you three games.

Greg Joseph has missed extra points in each of the past three games. Justin Tucker has missed four in his entire 10-year career.

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

Again, I pose the question. Name me a few guys (not playing quarterback) that win you three games a year?

< Message edited by Brad H -- 12/10/2021 9:50:03 AM >

Post #: 1678
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 9:55:46 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the KICKER?

**** NO

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

Again, I pose the question. Name me a few guys (not playing quarterback) that win you three games a year?

With better coaching we have five more wins.

Counting kickoffs the kicker is involved in how many plays a game on average? 8 to 10 ?. I don't care how good he is. if you can't get into FG range he's useless. if your defense can't keep the game within 3 points the kicker isn't going to win you the game. Kickers are not worth a first round pick. Ever.

I was pissed we lost a fifth rounder for that Kaare Vedvik or whatever waste of oxygen.

I think we need a better kicker, but giving up a first round pick for one would be a massive overreaction. A better kicker can be had for far less. and the first round pick can be used on a much more talented player that might see say 40-60 plays a game. Would you trade Justin Jefferson for Justin Tucker?

Post #: 1679
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 9:58:34 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the KICKER?

**** NO

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

Counting kickoffs the kicker is involved in how many plays a game on average? 8 to 10 ?. I don't care how good he is. if you can't get into FG range he's useless. if your defense can't keep the game within 3 points the kicker isn't going to win you the game. Kickers are not worth a first round pick. Ever.

I was pissed we lost a fifth rounder for that Kaare Vedvik or whatever waste of oxygen.

I think we need a better kicker, but giving up a first round pick for one would be a massive overreaction. A better kicker can be had for far less. and the first round pick can be used on a much more talented player that might see say 40-60 plays a game. Would you trade Justin Jefferson for Justin Tucker?

So you are using Justin Jefferson as your example? Is that a guy you think wins you three games a year? Honest question. A simple yes or no will do.

Post #: 1680
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 10:03:36 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the KICKER?

**** NO

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

So you are using Justin Jefferson as your example? Is that a guy you think wins you three games a year? Honest question. A simple yes or no will do.

You clearly think this can be answered with a yes or no question?

NO.

I would not ever trade a first rounder for Justin Tucker. I have already made this pretty clear.

I don't care how many more wins you would theorize we could have. It would be a waste of resources to blow a first round pick on a kicker. The only time I've ever seen a team do this that team won exactly 0 championships. and do you think they actually made it to any of their success solely on the leg of a kicker? No they didn't and you know it.

Enough of the ridiculous proposition. It is never going to happen.

Post #: 1681
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 10:04:48 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the KICKER?

**** NO

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

NO.

I would not ever trade a first rounder for Justin Tucker. I have already made this pretty clear.

I don't care how many more wins you would theorize we could have. It would be a waste of resources to blow a first round pick on a kicker. The only time I've ever seen a team do this that team won exactly 0 championships. and do you think they actually made it to any of their success solely on the leg of a kicker? No they didn't and you know it.

For what it's worth, I would agree that Justin Jefferson wins a team three games a year. Where was Justin Jefferson drafted?

CASE CLOSED!

Post #: 1682
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 10:06:52 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the KICKER?

**** NO

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

NO.

For what it's worth, I would agree that Justin Jefferson wins a team three games a year. Where was Justin Jefferson drafted?

CASE CLOSED!

For what it's worth. Justin Jefferson is exponentially more valuable than Justin Tucker.

It still comes down to would you give up a first round pick for a kicker? Any kicker? I wouldn't.

Post #: 1683
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 10:10:42 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the KICKER?

**** NO

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

NO.

CASE CLOSED!

For what it's worth. Justin Jefferson is exponentially more valuable than Justin Tucker.

It still comes down to would you give up a first round pick for a kicker? Any kicker? I wouldn't.

Absolutely. The guy is a proven commodity. If you can add a guy that wins you three games a year, you do it in a heartbeat. The metrics prove out.

Jefferson doesn't have value without a guy throwing him the ball. Tucker is on an island every play he is in the game. He may only play 8-to-10 plays a game, but those are often times the most critical plays of the game. If you can get a guy with ice in his veins, you do it in a heartbeat.

For the money he makes, Tucker is easily the most valuable player in the league (not under a rookie contract).

< Message edited by Brad H -- 12/10/2021 10:15:58 AM >

Post #: 1684
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 10:16:38 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the KICKER?

**** NO

Zim would screw him up within 3 weeks.
Post #: 1685
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 10:17:40 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the KICKER?

**** NO

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

NO.

CASE CLOSED!

Can't we have Justin Jefferson AND Justin Tucker? Do we have to have just one?

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1686
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 10:20:00 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the KICKER?

**** NO

Zim would screw him up within 3 weeks.

He'd become Rick Ankiel

Post #: 1687
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 10:20:37 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the KICKER?

**** NO

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

NO.

CASE CLOSED!

Offer a first round pick and see what they say. I'm gonna tell you right now, the answer could be no from the Ravens.

Post #: 1688
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 10:22:48 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the KICKER?

**** NO

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

NO.

CASE CLOSED!

Offer a first round pick and see what they say. I'm gonna tell you right now, the answer could be no from the Ravens.

It doesn't matter to me what you think their answer might be. I would never offer a first round pick.

THEY JUST MIGHT TAKE IT. and then you would be out a first round pick....for a kicker.

Post #: 1689
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 10:25:15 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the KICKER?

**** NO

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

NO.

CASE CLOSED!

It doesn't matter to me what you think their answer might be. I would never offer a first round pick.

THEY JUST MIGHT TAKE IT. and then you would be out a first round pick....for a kicker.

A kicker that wins you three more games. I'd take 9-4 over 6-7 for a first round pick. Any day of the week.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 12/10/2021 10:26:37 AM >

Post #: 1690
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 10:27:59 AM   
Trekgeekscott

Ok. so It's clear

Brad H would blow a first round pick for a Kicker.

Trekgeekscott would NOT.

Anyone else want to chime in?

Post #: 1691
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 10:28:40 AM   
Brad H

quote:

Ok. so It's clear

Trekgeekscott would NOT.

Not any kicker. Justin Tucker.

Post #: 1692
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 10:31:54 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Ok. so It's clear

Trekgeekscott would NOT.

Not any kicker. Justin Tucker.

In your opinion he would be worth it.

In mine he wouldn't.

I would love to get Justin Tucker. Just wouldn't want to give up a high draft pick for him.

Post #: 1693
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 10:32:20 AM   
David F.

But if we traded away a first round pick what would we do without LaQuon Treadwell, Jeff Gladney, Garret Bradbury, Mike Hughes, Trae Waynes, Teddy Bridgewater, Anthony Barr, Sharrif Floyd, Xavier Rhodes, Cordarrelle Patterson, Matt Kalil, or Christian Ponder? Granted in that span we also got Harrison Smith and Justin Jefferson. Even so, two gems, three adequates, and nine turds of of a possible 14 choices lends me to say go ahead and waste a #1 on the best kicker in the game. Granted, as has been said already, Zimmer will just ruin him anyway so what difference does it make?

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1694
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 10:33:47 AM   
Brad H

quote:

But if we traded away a first round pick what would we do without LaQuon Treadwell, Jeff Gladney, Garret Bradbury, Mike Hughes, Trae Waynes, Teddy Bridgewater, Anthony Barr, Sharrif Floyd, Xavier Rhodes, Cordarrelle Patterson, Matt Kalil, or Christian Ponder? Granted in that span we also got Harrison Smith and Justin Jefferson. Even so, two gems, three adequates, and nine turds of of a possible 14 choices lends me to say go ahead and waste a #1 on the best kicker in the game. Granted, as has been said already, Zimmer will just ruin him anyway so what difference does it make?

So that makes it two yes votes and one no.

Post #: 1695
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 10:38:48 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Speilman hasn't drafted well. He could have and should have done much better. Xavier Rhodes was actually worth it for a while, Patterson had his moments though he didn't pan out as an everydown WR. Ponder was a reach and everyone knew it at that very moment. Bridgewater was trending up when he blew his knee. Waynes was decent especially in run support. Hughes they gave up on because of injuries. Gladney may have done well but he decided it was ok to brutalize his girlfriend.

The Picks weren't studs but when they were at their best they weren't as terrible as some want to make them out to be.

And I would still take a chance on the talent level of many of these guys over a Kicker.

Like you said Zimmer would ruin him anyway.

So until Zimmer is gone... no point at all

Post #: 1696
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 10:42:24 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

Speilman hasn't drafted well. He could have and should have done much better. Xavier Rhodes was actually worth it for a while, Patterson had his moments though he didn't pan out as an everydown WR. Ponder was a reach and everyone knew it at that very moment. Bridgewater was trending up when he blew his knee. Waynes was decent especially in run support. Hughes they gave up on because of injuries. Gladney may have done well but he decided it was ok to brutalize his girlfriend.

The Picks weren't studs but when they were at their best they weren't as terrible as some want to make them out to be.

And I would still take a chance on the talent level of many of these guys over a Kicker.

Like you said Zimmer would ruin him anyway.

So until Zimmer is gone... no point at all

The bottom line is, I would take a proven commodity over a prospect any day of the week. And proven commodities don't come cheap.

Post #: 1697
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 10:43:02 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the KICKER?

**** NO

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

NO.

CASE CLOSED!

This isn't a typical year. He wouldn't win you three extra games during the typical Vikings year. Let's take a different example. How many extra games would Tucker have won the Vikings in 2017?

If you compare Tucker's stats to a replacement-level kicker like Joseph, Tucker is worth around 10 more points per year, 2 field goals and 4 extra points. But you can't just take those 10 points and put them on the exact games the Vikings fall a bit short. That is, some of those 10 points wouldn't make any difference to a game's outcome. If football had a WAR stat, it would be far less than 3 for Tucker.
Post #: 1698
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 10:45:00 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the KICKER?

**** NO

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

NO.

CASE CLOSED!

This isn't a typical year. He wouldn't win you three extra games during the typical Vikings year. Let's take a different example. How many extra games would Tucker have won the Vikings in 2017?

If you compare Tucker's stats to a replacement-level kicker like Joseph, Tucker is worth around 10 more points per year, 2 field goals and 4 extra points. But you can't just take those 10 points and put them on the exact games the Vikings fall a bit short. That is, some of those 10 points wouldn't make any difference to a game's outcome. If football had a WAR stat, it would be far less than 3 for Tucker.

Excellent point.

Post #: 1699
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 10:47:18 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the KICKER?

**** NO

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

NO.

CASE CLOSED!

Oh, I disagree entirely. Tucker is a legit weapon. He completely changes schemes in the final two minutes of halves without even being on the field.

If you factor in contract money, Justin Tucker is an absolute beast. For $5-million a year, hell yea.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 12/10/2021 10:54:00 AM >

Post #: 1700
Page:   <<   < prev  66 67 [68] 69 70   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  66 67 [68] 69 70   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode