Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 10:56:30 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Oh, I disagree entirely. Tucker is a legit weapon. He completely changes schemes in the final two minutes of halves.

If you factor in contract money, Justin Tucker is an absolute beast.

Yes Tucker is very good.

and yes this year we've lost a couple games due to a kicker ****ing it up. Yes he would have helped in that regard. but in the end this team would still have the same problems regardless of record. an unbelievably overpaid QB that statistically is very good but doesn't audible, read a defense or ever run a play contrary to what is called. is risk averse to a fault. We'd still have an overpaid underachieving defense. We'd still be giving up points in the last two minutes of halves at a record setting pace. We'd still be getting badly outcoached each game. We'd still have a terrible Oline etc etc etc etc.

And trading away a first round pick for a kicker is not going to help with any of this. If we drafted well that first round pick could help in other areas.

Justin Tucker is a great kicker. I'd love to have him. but Baltimore, as you indicated, would probably not give him up. He's a pipedream.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 1701
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 10:58:40 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Oh, I disagree entirely. Tucker is a legit weapon. He completely changes schemes in the final two minutes of halves.

Yes Tucker is very good.

and yes this year we've lost a couple games due to a kicker ****ing it up. Yes he would have helped in that regard. but in the end this team would still have the same problems regardless of record. an unbelievably overpaid QB that statistically is very good but doesn't audible, read a defense or ever run a play contrary to what is called. is risk averse to a fault. We'd still have an overpaid underachieving defense. We'd still be giving up points in the last two minutes of halves at a record setting pace. We'd still be getting badly outcoached each game. We'd still have a terrible Oline etc etc etc etc.

And trading away a first round pick for a kicker is not going to help with any of this. If we drafted well that first round pick could help in other areas.

Justin Tucker is a great kicker. I'd love to have him. but Baltimore, as you indicated, would probably not give him up. He's a pipedream.

A couple of games? It's been an ongoing problem since 2016.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1702
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:09:23 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I posed the question last night and I pose it again. Should/could we trade our #1 pick for Justin Tucker?

the KICKER?

**** NO

Honestly, I'm not sure Baltimore would do it.

If you are patient with the young kicker you can draft one with a 6-7th round pick.

I wouldn't waste a 1st rounder on one. So why would i give one up in trade for one? and yes the Ravens would do it. A First round pick for a Kicker? They'd do it in a heartbeat.

The guy is a cold-blooded assassin. We'd have three more wins right now with Tucker. Name me another guy in the league (not playing quarterback) that wins you three games.

Greg Joseph has missed extra points in each of the past three games. Justin Tucker has missed four in his entire 10-year career.

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

HE IS NOT WORTH A FIRST ROUND PICK.

Again, I pose the question. Name me a few guys (not playing quarterback) that win you three games a year?

With better coaching we have five more wins.

Counting kickoffs the kicker is involved in how many plays a game on average? 8 to 10 ?. I don't care how good he is. if you can't get into FG range he's useless. if your defense can't keep the game within 3 points the kicker isn't going to win you the game. Kickers are not worth a first round pick. Ever.

I was pissed we lost a fifth rounder for that Kaare Vedvik or whatever waste of oxygen.

I think we need a better kicker, but giving up a first round pick for one would be a massive overreaction. A better kicker can be had for far less. and the first round pick can be used on a much more talented player that might see say 40-60 plays a game. Would you trade Justin Jefferson for Justin Tucker?

So you are using Justin Jefferson as your example? Is that a guy you think wins you three games a year? Honest question. A simple yes or no will do.

You clearly think this can be answered with a yes or no question?

NO.

I would not ever trade a first rounder for Justin Tucker. I have already made this pretty clear.

I don't care how many more wins you would theorize we could have. It would be a waste of resources to blow a first round pick on a kicker. The only time I've ever seen a team do this that team won exactly 0 championships. and do you think they actually made it to any of their success solely on the leg of a kicker? No they didn't and you know it.

Enough of the ridiculous proposition. It is never going to happen.

For what it's worth, I would agree that Justin Jefferson wins a team three games a year. Where was Justin Jefferson drafted?

CASE CLOSED!

For what it's worth. Justin Jefferson is exponentially more valuable than Justin Tucker.

It still comes down to would you give up a first round pick for a kicker? Any kicker? I wouldn't.

Can't we have Justin Jefferson AND Justin Tucker? Do we have to have just one?

Offer a first round pick and see what they say. I'm gonna tell you right now, the answer could be no from the Ravens.

It doesn't matter to me what you think their answer might be. I would never offer a first round pick.

THEY JUST MIGHT TAKE IT. and then you would be out a first round pick....for a kicker.

This isn't a typical year. He wouldn't win you three extra games during the typical Vikings year. Let's take a different example. How many extra games would Tucker have won the Vikings in 2017?

If you compare Tucker's stats to a replacement-level kicker like Joseph, Tucker is worth around 10 more points per year, 2 field goals and 4 extra points. But you can't just take those 10 points and put them on the exact games the Vikings fall a bit short. That is, some of those 10 points wouldn't make any difference to a game's outcome. If football had a WAR stat, it would be far less than 3 for Tucker.

Oh, I disagree entirely. Tucker is a legit weapon. He completely changes schemes in the final two minutes of halves without even being on the field.

If you factor in contract money, Justin Tucker is an absolute beast. For $5-million a year, hell yea.

Babe Ruth's best WAR was 14.2 in a season where he played 152 games. For a 17-game season, that works out to 1.6 wins above replacement. You're saying that Justin Tucker would be almost twice as valuable to the Vikings (you say 3 extra wins per year) as Babe Ruth was to the 1923 Yankees?
Post #: 1703
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:14:05 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes Tucker is very good.

So Tucker cures us of all our woes? Everything else I mentioned here means nothing?

You don't like Cousins, but Tucker solves all.
Don't like our corners (apparently that's where defense starts) but Tucker solves all.
Our Oline couldn't block peewee players, but Tucker solves all.
Our team can't seem to hold a lead this year but Tucker solves all.
Half of our players are way overpaid but Tucker solves all.

Need I go on?

We get it Brad. You like Tucker. He'd be a nice get.

But until we solve other bigger problems on this team, Tucker isn't going to help as much as you think. We need to start with new GM and Coaching staff. Find a way to unload Cousins and get another QB in there that can see from the formation that a play wont work. We need to get some big contracts and overpaid underacheiving players off the roster and use the cap savings to get more overacheivers. We need to get a coaching staff that can take another kicker, perhaps Tucker, perhaps someone else and nurture/coach/develop them to be far better than what we've got since 2016.

I could go on.

Tucker is the Ravens Kicker until they don't want him to be. and the Vikings are not going to offer a first round pick for him.

Though they need better production out of the position, the team overall isn't going to get better by trading away a first round pick for a kicker.

I've answered your question.

I wouldn't give up a first round pick for Tucker. You clearly would. I am curious how you think we can fix the bigger problems on this team by trading for and paying a lot for a Justin Tucker?

Oh. Btw. He's not perfect either. He does miss kicks sometimes.

Post #: 1704
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:24:07 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes Tucker is very good.

So Tucker cures us of all our woes? Everything else I mentioned here means nothing?

Don't like our corners (apparently that's where defense starts) but Tucker solves all.

Need I go on?

But until we solve other bigger problems on this team, Tucker isn't going to help as much as you think. We need to start with new GM and Coaching staff. Find a way to unload Cousins and get another QB in there that can see from the formation that a play wont work. We need to get some big contracts and overpaid underacheiving players off the roster and use the cap savings to get more overacheivers. We need to get a coaching staff that can take another kicker, perhaps Tucker, perhaps someone else and nurture/coach/develop them to be far better than what we've got since 2016.

I could go on.

Tucker is the Ravens Kicker until they don't want him to be. and the Vikings are not going to offer a first round pick for him.

Though they need better production out of the position, the team overall isn't going to get better by trading away a first round pick for a kicker.

I wouldn't give up a first round pick for Tucker. You clearly would. I am curious how you think we can fix the bigger problems on this team by trading for and paying a lot for a Justin Tucker?

Why continue this? Your first response to this dumb argument was spot on:

Tucker? For a first? ***No. (or something like that)

We'd be better off investing in jetpacks.
Post #: 1705
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:27:57 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I posed the question last night and I pose it again. Should/could we trade our #1 pick for Justin Tucker?

the KICKER?

**** NO

If you are patient with the young kicker you can draft one with a 6-7th round pick.

I wouldn't waste a 1st rounder on one. So why would i give one up in trade for one? and yes the Ravens would do it. A First round pick for a Kicker? They'd do it in a heartbeat.

The guy is a cold-blooded assassin. We'd have three more wins right now with Tucker. Name me another guy in the league (not playing quarterback) that wins you three games.

Greg Joseph has missed extra points in each of the past three games. Justin Tucker has missed four in his entire 10-year career.

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

Again, I pose the question. Name me a few guys (not playing quarterback) that win you three games a year?

With better coaching we have five more wins.

Counting kickoffs the kicker is involved in how many plays a game on average? 8 to 10 ?. I don't care how good he is. if you can't get into FG range he's useless. if your defense can't keep the game within 3 points the kicker isn't going to win you the game. Kickers are not worth a first round pick. Ever.

I was pissed we lost a fifth rounder for that Kaare Vedvik or whatever waste of oxygen.

I think we need a better kicker, but giving up a first round pick for one would be a massive overreaction. A better kicker can be had for far less. and the first round pick can be used on a much more talented player that might see say 40-60 plays a game. Would you trade Justin Jefferson for Justin Tucker?

So you are using Justin Jefferson as your example? Is that a guy you think wins you three games a year? Honest question. A simple yes or no will do.

You clearly think this can be answered with a yes or no question?

NO.

I would not ever trade a first rounder for Justin Tucker. I have already made this pretty clear.

I don't care how many more wins you would theorize we could have. It would be a waste of resources to blow a first round pick on a kicker. The only time I've ever seen a team do this that team won exactly 0 championships. and do you think they actually made it to any of their success solely on the leg of a kicker? No they didn't and you know it.

Enough of the ridiculous proposition. It is never going to happen.

For what it's worth, I would agree that Justin Jefferson wins a team three games a year. Where was Justin Jefferson drafted?

CASE CLOSED!

For what it's worth. Justin Jefferson is exponentially more valuable than Justin Tucker.

It still comes down to would you give up a first round pick for a kicker? Any kicker? I wouldn't.

Can't we have Justin Jefferson AND Justin Tucker? Do we have to have just one?

Offer a first round pick and see what they say. I'm gonna tell you right now, the answer could be no from the Ravens.

It doesn't matter to me what you think their answer might be. I would never offer a first round pick.

THEY JUST MIGHT TAKE IT. and then you would be out a first round pick....for a kicker.

This isn't a typical year. He wouldn't win you three extra games during the typical Vikings year. Let's take a different example. How many extra games would Tucker have won the Vikings in 2017?

If you compare Tucker's stats to a replacement-level kicker like Joseph, Tucker is worth around 10 more points per year, 2 field goals and 4 extra points. But you can't just take those 10 points and put them on the exact games the Vikings fall a bit short. That is, some of those 10 points wouldn't make any difference to a game's outcome. If football had a WAR stat, it would be far less than 3 for Tucker.

Oh, I disagree entirely. Tucker is a legit weapon. He completely changes schemes in the final two minutes of halves without even being on the field.

If you factor in contract money, Justin Tucker is an absolute beast. For $5-million a year, hell yea.

Babe Ruth's best WAR was 14.2 in a season where he played 152 games. For a 17-game season, that works out to 1.6 wins above replacement. You're saying that Justin Tucker would be almost twice as valuable to the Vikings (you say 3 extra wins per year) as Babe Ruth was to the 1923 Yankees?

Baseball is not football. Lets not confuse the two.

Post #: 1706
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:29:13 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes Tucker is very good.

Need I go on?

I could go on.

If the jetpacks could win you three more games I would give up a first round pick for them. It's all about wins and losses, fellas.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 12/10/2021 11:32:11 AM >

Post #: 1707
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:34:42 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes Tucker is very good.

Need I go on?

I could go on.

If the jetpacks could win you three more games I would give up a first round pick for them. It's all about wins and losses, fellas.

Yes. and I have outlined a great many things that are causing our losses and putting us in situations where a kicker could have given us three more wins. Of course he couldn't if they can't get him into range. and they wouldn't have to if they wouldn't keep coughing up leads...

Post #: 1708
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:36:01 AM   
Brad H

Deion Sanders once said on a radio show I was listening to that often times the difference between a good team and a great team is the small things, or intangibles. He made it a point to say that the Vikings were terrible at the little things. One thing he directly pointed to was our special teams. I agree entirely with him. This organization has been horrific at the little things for quite some time. And when you add up all those little things, it amounts to a big thing. As in wins and losses, playoff spots or home field advantage.

Post #: 1709
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:38:15 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes Tucker is very good.

Need I go on?

I could go on.

Yes. and I have outlined a great many things that are causing our losses and putting us in situations where a kicker could have given us three more wins. Of course he couldn't if they can't get him into range. and they wouldn't have to if they wouldn't keep coughing up leads...

And for the most part, I would agree with you on some of those other things. But every team in the league also has some of those other things. Only one team in the league has Justin Tucker.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 12/10/2021 11:39:37 AM >

Post #: 1710
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:39:07 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Deion Sanders once said on a radio show I was listening to that often times the difference between a good team and a great team is the small things, or intangibles. He made it a point to say that the Vikings were terrible at the little things. One thing he directly pointed to was our special teams. I agree entirely with him. This organization has been horrific at the little things for quite some time. And when you add up all those little things, it amounts to a big thing. As in wins and losses, playoff spots or home field advantage.

And why do you think they are bad at the little things?

I agree with him as well.

I think it's more coaching than kicking.

Post #: 1711
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:39:13 AM   
bohumm

quote:

Ok. so It's clear

Brad H would blow a first round pick for a Kicker.

Trekgeekscott would NOT.

Anyone else want to chime in?

I'll only chime in with this: Did you ever read your tagline?
Post #: 1712
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:40:48 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

Ok. so It's clear

Trekgeekscott would NOT.

It's a good conversation. If you don't like it, start one that is more compelling.

Post #: 1713
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:41:13 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Ok. so It's clear

Trekgeekscott would NOT.

Yes. It doesn't mean I won't engage the stupid argument. Sometimes I like administering medicine to the dead.

Post #: 1714
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:42:01 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

Could be. Hard to say. You'll get no argument from me on whether or not Zimmer needs to go. But to say that all kickers are equal, and it comes down to coaching, is fairly naive. Some guys are just special.

I'll use your example as an example. Why is Justin Jefferson so good? By your logic, it is because of Mike Zimmer.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 12/10/2021 11:45:39 AM >

Post #: 1715
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:44:28 AM   
Steve Lentz

Cousins after a tremendous start to the year is declining week to week. Had a 63.4 passer rating last night which is his lowest since week #2 of last season. Missing Thielen is certainly part of it.
I've said for years that our OL is our biggest weakness, but we need Kirk to start improving again or it could get real ugly in our remaining games.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1716
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:45:09 AM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ok. so It's clear

Trekgeekscott would NOT.

It's a good conversation. If you don't like it, start one that is more compelling.

Red grass driveway science in Dusseldorf swings water with neon. Who agrees?
Post #: 1717
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:46:44 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes Tucker is very good.

Need I go on?

I could go on.

And for the most part, I would agree with you on some of those other things. But every team in the league also has some of those other things. Only one team in the league has Justin Tucker.

And there are several teams that are doing very well in this same league this year without Justin Tucker.

Baltimore is not all that great this year, Despite having Justin Tucker. They are seriously flawed in pass defense and their "MVP" is doing as much to curtail their success as he is to contribute to it. They do have one win because of Justin Tucker's leg...but they should have lost to the Lions, a really bad team. When it takes a record setting prayer of a kick to win against a really bad team, you're not doing well.

Post #: 1718
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:48:19 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes Tucker is very good.

Need I go on?

I could go on.

And there are several teams that are doing very well in this same league this year without Justin Tucker.

Baltimore is not all that great this year, Despite having Justin Tucker. They are seriously flawed in pass defense and their "MVP" is doing as much to curtail their success as he is to contribute to it. They do have one win because of Justin Tucker's leg...but they should have lost to the Lions, a really bad team. When it takes a record setting prayer of a kick to win against a really bad team, you're not doing well.

The Ravens are a half game out of home field advantage in the AFC. They are on their fifth running back and their quarterback has missed multiple games, with Hollywood Brown as his top receiver.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 12/10/2021 11:51:14 AM >

Post #: 1719
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:52:00 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

Could be. Hard to say. You'll get no argument from me on whether or not Zimmer needs to go. But to say that all kickers are equal, and it comes down to coaching, is fairly naive. Some guys are just special.

I'll use your example as an example. Why is Justin Jefferson so good? By your logic, it is because of Mike Zimmer.

I never said all kickers are equal.

Jefferson is a very talented man, It isn't Zimmer that is making him great. It's his own will to work hard, run good routes and catch the ball when it is thrown to him that makes him good. If coaching has anything to do with it it is not Zimmer's coaching, it'd be more Keenan McCardell or his previous position coach, plus having an Adam Theilen to mentor him. He's just special.

I didn't say it just comes down to coaching. I said our problem with all the little things is probably more to do with coaching than it is with kicking.

You extrapolated way too much out of what I said.

Post #: 1720
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:54:26 AM   
David Levine

quote:

The Ravens are a half game out of home field advantage in the AFC. They are on their fifth running back and their quarterback has missed multiple games, with Hollywood Brown as his top receiver.

Jackson has missed one game. And the Ravens won it anyways.
Post #: 1721
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:54:33 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Jefferson is a very talented man, It isn't Zimmer that is making him great. It's his own will to work hard, run good routes and catch the ball when it is thrown to him that makes him good. If coaching has anything to do with it it is not Zimmer's coaching, it'd be more Keenan McCardell or his previous position coach, plus having an Adam Theilen to mentor him. He's just special.

I didn't say it just comes down to coaching. I said our problem with all the little things is probably more to do with coaching than it is with kicking.

"I think it's more coaching than kicking." (Trek)

How else was I supposed to read into that?

Post #: 1722
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:56:12 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes Tucker is very good.

Need I go on?

I could go on.

Yet they just lost to the STeelers who aren't that good.

did Justin Tucker give them a chance at the end? No? Why not? was it due to the fact that they needed a Touchdown etc to win? Why didn't Tucker save the day then?

The league in general is watered down this year. There really are no teams truly rising to the top. Where they are currently seeded doesn't make them great. The Dolphins have won 5 straight. does that make them good? They are in the playoff hunt. and Imagine this....they did all that without Justin Tucker.

Good coaching can overcome a lot of flaws. See New England Patriots. And they did it without Justin Tucker. and imagine this. in a passing league...as so many want to insist we run less etc. One of the best coaches of all time had his QB throw the ball only THREE times. and they won. I knew it would happen eventually. and it would be Belichick that would do it.

< Message edited by Trekgeekscott -- 12/10/2021 12:01:05 PM >

Post #: 1723
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:56:19 AM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the KICKER?

**** NO

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

Lots of kickers would have given this team those 3 wins this year.

It's easy in a vacuum to say trade a first for Tucker.

I pose this back to you... do you trade Jefferson for Tucker... cause that is what you COULD be trading away.

And that's why I don't make this trade.

Daniel Carlson would have gotten us those 3 extra wins... we had him on the team... without trading a first.
A "3 win" kicker can be obtained without paying a first... and that is how you build a champion... managing resources effectively.
Post #: 1724
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:58:02 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

"I think it's more coaching than kicking." (Trek)

How else was I supposed to read into that?

quote:

If you'd have read it all...that the reason the Vikings, as Deion points out, are bad at the little things more because of coaching than kicking.

I wasn't talking in ancient aramaic.

Post #: 1725
Page:   <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode