Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  77 78 [79] 80 81   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 7:52:20 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

If we win and Washington loses do we have the tie breaker over Philadelphia?

Not that it'll ultimately matter...I can see us losing 3 of our next 4 more than I can see winning all 4. Even winnig 3 out of 4 will be tough and that might not get us in.

Or the Aints?

If the Vikings, Saints, and Eagles are all 7-7 I think we have the slight edge in Conference record.
Post #: 1951
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 7:56:51 AM   
Todd M

Scratch that we'd be tied with the Eagles with a 5-4 conference record. Saints @ 5-5.
Post #: 1952
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 8:02:43 AM   
Todd M

The playoff calculator shows we'd have the 7th spot with a W and an Eagles Win...
Post #: 1953
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 8:47:28 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Not that it'll ultimately matter...I can see us losing 3 of our next 4 more than I can see winning all 4. Even winnig 3 out of 4 will be tough and that might not get us in.

No, for now anyway Philly would finish above us based on a weaker strength of schedule
Post #: 1954
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 9:01:23 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Chi entire starting secondary out tonight plus two backups.

However, Goldberg and Hicks will both be playing so look for Zim to try and establish the run all night.

Because that’s what they’ll least expect! Genius!

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1955
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 9:15:53 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

However, Goldberg and Hicks will both be playing so look for Zim to try and establish the run all night.

Remember that game against the Bears a while back where their entire OL was decimated? They still won.
Post #: 1956
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 9:36:26 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Remember that game against the Bears a while back where their entire OL was decimated? They still won.

Was that the one at home on week 17 where if we won we were in the playoffs and out if we lost?

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1957
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 9:48:58 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

It really doesn't matter if their entire D is out ... if CHI has to deploy 11 taxidermists from the Chicago Field Museum of Natural History to play defense...

Our #4 rated offense will 'explode' for just the right amount of points to give Chicago's #31 rated offense one final drive (against our pathetic defense) to win or lose the game.

But hey, our defense and Zimmer are the only problem.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 12/20/2021 9:51:18 AM >
Post #: 1958
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 12:44:34 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Since it's a little slow, wondering what people think will be the biggest need going into the draft.

CB here based on its importance, the need for three good CBs, and gaps left by FAs. Then C. A few positions like S and LB will require shoring up, but Harrison is going to start at one safety spot regardless. WR is a future need. DE is in transition and dependent on progress of the young DEs.
Post #: 1959
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 1:06:06 PM   
bstinger

quote:

Since it's a little slow, wondering what people think will be the biggest need going into the draft.

CB here based on its importance, the need for three good CBs, and gaps left by FAs. Then C. A few positions like S and LB will require shoring up, but Harrison is going to start at one safety spot regardless. WR is a future need. DE is in transition and dependent on progress of the young DEs.

With all the draft picks trader Rick has made the last few years the cupboards should be well stocked, but as you mention, there are a lot of needs.

Easier to say where we are set. I'm good with T and RB. WR isn't too bad depending on ISM's development. Otherwise there are improvements to be made or outright holes to fill.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 1960
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 1:10:40 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

It will depend on what the Front office is willing to do to trim the fat, lower the cap hit and go get some experience at needed positions.

It will also depend on which person is making the selections in the Front office. If Rick Speilman is there I don't want him selecting a C. He is piss poor at evaluating College Cs. The last two sucked donkey nuts.

CB talent hasn't been bad selection wise (they just picked a guy that liked beating his girlfriend) and they found a couple decent contributors in the later rounds here too, See Hand, Boyd (just avoid taunting dumbass) etc....

They will likely need a new LB or two, but then Chazz Surratt could be the guy here. Zimmer just doesn't like giving rookies opportunities, ever.

So will Zimmer be here? Who knows....Then drafting anything will be nearly useless. Cause Zimmer don't like young talented guys getting a chance.

If it were me.

I would want more Oline help. But I need better Oline coaching first. Cause it don't matter who you draft....if you can't coach them up... Though our line hasn't looked like the terrible mess it has been for the past few years...they could still improve. And are you really telling me a guy you drafted in the 3rd round can't play, and that's why you did that ridiculous shifting for the past couple games. What you are telling me is either you suck at drafting Olinemen, or you suck at coaching them up, or both. Acquiring Oline might be better to actually sign a FA or two....This way another team has already developed the players and they wouldn't need much coaching. but again do we trust this front office to know which ones are truly worth pursuing...

WR will be a need but if they can develop Smith-Marsette, get Osborn to continue to grow, then this need is diminished a bit.

I do think another RB may be necessary as Cook can't play a full season and Mattison is going to price himself right out of here. He could be starting for a few teams right now.

Bynum has shown flashes in his limited time so S may be addressed already. But adding depth here would be a good thing too.

It is my personal belief that you should draft a QB every single year. Sometimes high, sometimes low. But every year.

A TE that can actually see the field would be useful. though i love Conklin.

It's really up in the air. our cap situation needs to be cleaned up. I see quite a few cuts and renegotiations coming to free up some space and that will determine how far we can go.

< Message edited by Trekgeekscott -- 12/20/2021 1:13:08 PM >

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 1961
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 1:20:16 PM   
thebigo

quote:

It's only fair.
Post #: 1962
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 1:41:10 PM   
David F.

quote:

CB talent hasn't been bad selection wise (they just picked a guy that liked beating his girlfriend)

Gladney was 110 out of 136 in 2020 at CB. Dantzler outperformed him substantially.

Post #: 1963
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 2:02:20 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

According to otc.com we need to fill 6 spots with contracted players in the 2022-2023 season, we are currently about 7 mill over the cap even with those contacts open..

This franchise needs to tough out Fn insanity contracts of Cousins, and a couple others next season and get realistic about giving big money to aging, injured, or injury prone players, like Grif, Hunter, Barr…

Modest extension with big signing bonus to the “ hits “ in the draft, before they get to FA, would be what I’d do.

Giving 5+ year extensions to the Harrison smiths and Kyle Rudolph’s, and my neck is one bad tackle from quadriplegia, not to mention GUARANTEED CONTACT to a retread Quarterback, not a sustainable business model..

I don’t really have a big problem with Cousins.. I have a few issues with his style of leadership and field view and ballsack lack, but his contract.. I’d fire everyone on the spot if I was ziggy, and they tried to pitch that shit to me..

That contract is unfuckingforgivable.

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 12/20/2021 2:03:50 PM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1964
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 2:16:24 PM   
beo

quote:

I think the usual suspects are all valid: CB, OL, DE

We could use an upgrade at any 3 of those spots and my opinion is those are the spots that make the big impact.

(This sort of assumes Kirk is back, I left out my diatribe on how you need QB figured out before anything else)
Post #: 1965
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 2:20:37 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

According to otc.com we need to fill 6 spots with contracted players in the 2022-2023 season, we are currently about 7 mill over the cap even with those contacts open..

This franchise needs to tough out Fn insanity contracts of Cousins, and a couple others next season and get realistic about giving big money to aging, injured, or injury prone players, like Grif, Hunter, Barr…

Modest extension with big signing bonus to the “ hits “ in the draft, before they get to FA, would be what I’d do.

Giving 5+ year extensions to the Harrison smiths and Kyle Rudolph’s, and my neck is one bad tackle from quadriplegia, not to mention GUARANTEED CONTACT to a retread Quarterback, not a sustainable business model..

I don’t really have a big problem with Cousins.. I have a few issues with his style of leadership and field view and ballsack lack, but his contract.. I’d fire everyone on the spot if I was ziggy, and they tried to pitch that shit to me..

That contract is unfuckingforgivable.

He's still costing us $2.9 million in dead cap in 2022. Effing joke how much money we threw at his mediocrity all his years here. I'd like to say he's finally someone else's problem but that $2.9 million lingers... I'm not even sure if the Giants are the biggest losers in regards to Rudolf.

Us: 2021 - $1.45 million in dead cap
2022 - $2.9 million in dead cap

Giants: 2021 - $4.75 million in salary ($7 million dead cap hit) 22 catches, 240 yards, 1 TD
2022 - $7.25 million in salary ($2.25 million dead cap hit) ????

Post #: 1966
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 2:30:34 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

I think the usual suspects are all valid: CB, OL, DE

We could use an upgrade at any 3 of those spots and my opinion is those are the spots that make the big impact.

(This sort of assumes Kirk is back, I left out my diatribe on how you need QB figured out before anything else)

The CB need is the most glaring. Currently under contract in 2022 is Dantzler, Boyd, Hand, and me and you if we can get a tryout. The next most glaring need is, wait for it, yep you guessed it, interior Oline. We have Bradbury, Cleveland, Davis, and Udoh under contract and that's it. For TE we have Irv and Ellefsen. From there it goes to S and then DE. The only areas we're squared away at (for bodies that can play anyway nevermind talent) is QB, RB, WR, LB, and DT.

We have exactly 0 kickers, 0 punters, and 0 long snappers for 2022.

Fire Rick.

Post #: 1967
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 2:46:49 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

I wholeheartedly agree.. Spielman can’t or won’t fire Zimmer, can’t draft offensive lineman except by blind squirrel method, and his Ideas on handing out money… I suppose if you a billionaire, tens of millions don’t seem like much, but it has to be considered against the wading pool of the salary cap…
The top 5 contracts suck up over 50% of ALL the 2022 cap.

Cousins, Hunter, Theilen, Kendricks, HSmith..

Throw #6 Cook in there and it’s damn near 60%

For just six players..

JFC….

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1968
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 4:41:23 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

When I look at dead cap and see B Colquit on there….

Then I see Reiff, Bailey, Gladney and Stephen

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1969
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 5:16:55 PM  2 votes
bohumm

Maybe I read the question wrong, but the biggest need for this (and every other) team is an elite QB. There is no other possible first answer.

If you don't have one---and we don't---that is the top priority. We have a good QB who tops out there and is making elite++++ money, so the rebuild starts there. I don't think you take a QB just because if no one has clear elite potential, so maybe you trade Cousins and sign a replacement level guy while you stack players at other positions. Of those, CB and DL are the most obvious.
Post #: 1970
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 8:38:17 PM   
bstinger

quote:

Dantzler is the better player anyhow.

Addition by subtraction.

Yes, until the 5th, 6th, ... stringers come into play.

We sucked at CB with everyone healthy. Now it's a real weakness. I'd go 4 wide against us every play.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 1971
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 10:43:48 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

Dantzler is the better player anyhow.

Addition by subtraction.

Yes, until the 5th, 6th, ... stringers come into play.

We sucked at CB with everyone healthy. Now it's a real weakness. I'd go 4 wide against us every play.

I’d have done that before we let breeland go.

Post #: 1972
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 11:31:19 PM   
David F.

From the daily norseman:

ESPN's sideline reporter saying that Zimmer said at halftime that the Vikings are "throwing the ball way too much."

Honest to God, I give up.

Post #: 1973
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/20/2021 11:44:17 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

Now just get by LA ... at home!
Post #: 1974
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/21/2021 12:11:04 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

Now just get by LA ... at home!

Home safe?
Post #: 1975
Page:   <<   < prev  77 78 [79] 80 81   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  77 78 [79] 80 81   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode