Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Our New Head Coach

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Our New Head Coach Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 9:45:20 AM   
Lynn G.

So quickly? The head coach "search" has been going on for a couple of weeks.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 551
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 10:01:07 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

i don't get pederson falling off a cliff...he brings everything that Harbaugh does without the wacky crazy energy shit....

nobody is interviewing pederson....

7-9
13-3: SB win
9-7: Squeaked by the Bears
9-7: Lost WC
4-11-1

Eagles were 10-6 both years before Pederson, 9-8 the year after. Maybe he's not seen as being that great?

SB year looks like a crazy outlier (fueled by Nick Foles!)
Post #: 552
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 10:33:30 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

Interesting they had O'Connell tagged so quickly. Almost like that is who they wanted but they took the Harbaugh interview just incase it was a last second homerun.

The Vikings interviewed 8 candidates before hiring Adofo-Mensah as GM. He added Harbaugh and Graham to that list after he was hired and led the preliminary interviews with them. He then led the second interviews with 4 finalists. There was nothing quick about it.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 553
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 10:40:49 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Interesting they had O'Connell tagged so quickly. Almost like that is who they wanted but they took the Harbaugh interview just incase it was a last second homerun.

The Vikings interviewed 8 candidates before hiring Adofo-Mensah as GM. He added Harbaugh and Graham to that list after he was hired and led the preliminary interviews with them. He then led the second interviews with 4 finalists. There was nothing quick about it.

By 6:30pm last night Fox Sports radio was reporting O'Connell was the next HC. That was minutes after Harbaugh left the building.

The timeline wasn't quick but the ending was. I doubt they called O'Connell at 6:20pm and said "been a while but would you like to be our headcoach?". My guess is they had told O'Connell, "we want to interview Harbaugh but chances are you are our guy."
Post #: 554
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 10:51:07 AM   
lyle chabot

I am a little bummed about Harbaugh, but I am good with O'Connell. now let's see who he brings in on his staff.
Post #: 555
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 11:10:35 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: lyle chabot

I am a little bummed about Harbaugh, but I am good with O'Connell. now let's see who he brings in on his staff.

KAM/KOC need to hit a HR on the Coordinators. Get some experience in the building. McVay and Taylor both went with experienced DCs.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 2/3/2022 11:17:39 AM >
Post #: 556
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 11:12:32 AM   
Mark Anderson

JJ should be happy with this hire.

KOC designs all the plays that the Rams run. Kupp keeps getting open with all the extra attention he receives.
Post #: 557
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 11:31:23 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: lyle chabot

KAM/KOC need to hit a HR on the Coordinators. Get some experience in the building. McVay and Taylor both went with experienced DCs.

I agree. Someone posted Jerry Gray; he was DB coach with Zimmer and since he left the defense has suffered. Went to GB and theirs improved.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 558
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 11:40:37 AM   
marty

Yes, I said Jerry Gray, and it would have the double effect of weakening the Packers.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 559
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 11:46:57 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Yes, I said Jerry Gray, and it would have the double effect of weakening the Packers.

Actually I was referencing Daily Norseman; don't care about the Pack.

Post #: 560
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 11:48:25 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

By 6:30pm last night Fox Sports radio was reporting O'Connell was the next HC. That was minutes after Harbaugh left the building.

The timeline wasn't quick but the ending was. I doubt they called O'Connell at 6:20pm and said "been a while but would you like to be our headcoach?". My guess is they had told O'Connell, "we want to interview Harbaugh but chances are you are our guy."

The timing of yesterday was strange. But I believe that is driven by the strangeness of only being able to talk to your playoff / SB job candidates during certain times. Everybody understands it ... there must be a way to firm up agreements to be more than a hand-shake but less than a signed contract ... to get around the obstacle of timing.
Post #: 561
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 11:50:11 AM   
marty

Well Phil, I mentioned Jerry Gray on this thread, and weakening the Packers is a good thing.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 562
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 11:51:32 AM   
marty

I was wondering that too Tom, is there a chance they are accused of tampering ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 563
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 11:52:08 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Well Phil, I mentioned Jerry Gray on this thread, and weakening the Packers is a good thing.

I never focus on the packers; whatever makes my team better.

Post #: 564
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 11:56:04 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

My guess is that they identified O'Connell as the man to beat heading into the Harbaugh interview. As soon as they new Harbaugh wasn't going beat him, they offered O'Connell the job. Something tells me that if they had already told O'Connell that the Harbaugh interview was a formality, it would have been leaked. I don't think they would have taken Harbaugh away from signing day if they weren't seriously considering him.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 565
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 12:25:53 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

My guess is that they identified O'Connell as the man to beat heading into the Harbaugh interview. As soon as they new Harbaugh wasn't going beat him, they offered O'Connell the job. Something tells me that if they had already told O'Connell that the Harbaugh interview was a formality, it would have been leaked. I don't think they would have taken Harbaugh away from signing day if they weren't seriously considering him.

I agree, I think it was similar to the Giants interviewing Flores in the 11th hour.
Post #: 566
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 12:35:40 PM   
David Levine

quote:

KOC designs all the plays that the Rams run. Kupp keeps getting open with all the extra attention he receives.

JJ was always open this year too. We need KOC to force Cousins to throw to him more...
Post #: 567
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 1:12:58 PM   
Brad H

I tried to tell you folks that the Harbaugh thing was a big mirage. Harbaugh was looking to get paid, plain and simple. I'm willing to bet they are working on a new deal at Michigan as we speak.

Congrats to our new GM on reading between the lines.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 2/3/2022 1:14:10 PM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 568
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 1:14:03 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

JJ was always open this year too. We need KOC to force Cousins to throw to him more...

EXACTLY! We could have the second coming of the greatest show on turf in the playbook. If your qb can’t pull the trigger, it’s a futile effort.
Post #: 569
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 2:01:16 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Vikings screwed up Royally if they didn't make Harbaugh a good offer.

Knee jerk reaction.

Harbaugh would have been pretty exciting based on his previous NFL experience and the circus that comes with him ...

but there's no guarantee with him or O'Connel or anybody else.

Who knows what happened ... we may or may not get the full story ...

I'd like to hear the GM and ownership stuck to their vision of a new direction instead of caving in to a high profile candidate's demands.

All reports were that Harbaugh wanted to come here and Harbaugh was Kwesi's guy. Already undermining the new GM his first week on the job.

All the hearsay and rumor mongering from sports media people that was tweeted ... not all the factual reports from the participants ...

You have no clue. Nobody does.

Most likely, the decision was made by consensus ... if you've been paying attention to what the owners / GM have been saying about the process.

The only one undermining the GM is you with your cockeyed interpretation.

Why do you have to be insulting Tom. I'm going by the best information I got. Funny thing about consensus. It used to be called the triangle of authority and everybody thought it was a bad thing. Now we've circled back to it.

You're right ... I should have more patience ... but your opinions often rankle me – I'm sure it works both ways.

For instance, your current positions are even more chafing than usual ... one, that not hiring Harbaugh was some kind of first-strike corporate betrayal of the new GM and, two, that 'consensus' is a bad word because of something that happened during the Childress era.

I apologize for my bad manners.

It's cool. I'm just sharing my opinion and I know it's based on limited information.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 570
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 2:02:34 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

VikeFans
@VikeFans
·
11h
Just shared with us, “one big pro for new Vikings Head Coach Kevin O’Connell is that he’s too young to have kids old enough to hire for his staff”

Post of the day until I read one better.
I truly believe the NFL should have a rule that no coach can have a son or daughter on his staff.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 2/3/2022 2:07:19 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 571
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 2:07:15 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

EXACTLY! We could have the second coming of the greatest show on turf in the playbook. If your qb can’t pull the trigger, it’s a futile effort.

Good point, DL and Joe.

The targets were 191 to 167. 24 more targets for Kupp. Need to get JJ into 185-200 range.
Post #: 572
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 3:24:44 PM   
marty

I never focus on the packers; whatever makes my team better

Good for you Phil, you don't need to be snooty about it. I am not focusing on the Pack, just bringing my broader view to the table, and my hatred for the Pack, makes me want to see them weakened further.

Bringing back Gray, likely strengthens the Vikings while weakening the Puke.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 573
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 4:02:46 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

I tried to tell you folks that the Harbaugh thing was a big mirage. Harbaugh was looking to get paid, plain and simple. I'm willing to bet they are working on a new deal at Michigan as we speak.

Congrats to our new GM on reading between the lines.

they said that the vikings never made harbaugh an offer, but i bet he made them one...i read somewhere that he wanted $100m/10yrs....when the wilfs balked at that number, it was over...also, his agent was probably already on the phone with Michigan while he was at the meeting....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 2/3/2022 4:03:57 PM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 574
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 4:46:22 PM   
marty

Harbaugh seemed cordial and complementary about the Wilfs and about KAM after his interview.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 575
Page:   <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Our New Head Coach Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode