Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Our New Head Coach

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Our New Head Coach Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 5:21:22 PM   
lyle chabot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: lyle chabot

I am a little bummed about Harbaugh, but I am good with O'Connell. now let's see who he brings in on his staff.

KAM/KOC need to hit a HR on the Coordinators. Get some experience in the building. McVay and Taylor both went with experienced DCs.

I agree. Someone posted Jerry Gray; he was DB coach with Zimmer and since he left the defense has suffered. Went to GB and theirs improved.

He has a good offensive mind, now we need a great DC, get the right coaching staff and if we can afford any quality FA it will help landing some.
Post #: 576
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 5:27:05 PM   
ambear

I think Gray is a real good option, puke not withstanding. I realize O'Connell has a lot on his plate, but you can bet he has thought about his future and who he wants on his team.
Post #: 577
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 6:17:49 PM   
bongbong

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

I tried to tell you folks that the Harbaugh thing was a big mirage. Harbaugh was looking to get paid, plain and simple. I'm willing to bet they are working on a new deal at Michigan as we speak.

Congrats to our new GM on reading between the lines.

they said that the vikings never made harbaugh an offer, but i bet he made them one...i read somewhere that he wanted $100m/10yrs....when the wilfs balked at that number, it was over...also, his agent was probably already on the phone with Michigan while he was at the meeting....

I hope that's the case, because if they turned down Harbaugh at a reasonable rate it was a major bed pooping. You can't pick OC du jour over a head coach of 19 years with success at every level. Watch Florio''s PFT podcast if you wanna get depressed.
Post #: 578
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 6:44:40 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

I highly doubt “ they turned down Harbaugh at a reasonable rate”..

I think Harbaugh was using the Vikings as leverage for his contract quibble with UofM…

It was an all day type interview.. I’m pretty sure that many things were discussed, and I’m equally as sure that there were issues that raised red flags, what those issues were, we will never know..

Never seen so much butthurt over not getting a particular coach..not so much here, but..

There’s a whole sub on Reddit of butthurt whiners gnashing their teeth and cursing the ownership and wanting KAM fired, already..

Unbelievable, how single minded and petty those people can be.

It’s not the end of the world…

If we can survive Tice, Childress, and Frazier, and the Zimmerball era, we will be ok without Harbaugh.
People are already calling the off season a “bust”..

Yeesh.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 579
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 7:30:03 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

I think Harbaugh was using the Vikings as leverage for his contract quibble with UofM…

It was an all day type interview.. I’m pretty sure that many things were discussed, and I’m equally as sure that there were issues that raised red flags, what those issues were, we will never know..

Never seen so much butthurt over not getting a particular coach..not so much here, but..

There’s a whole sub on Reddit of butthurt whiners gnashing their teeth and cursing the ownership and wanting KAM fired, already..

If we can survive Tice, Childress, and Frazier, and the Zimmerball era, we will be ok without Harbaugh.

Yeesh.

Yep. It’s a new day. Let’s see who is hired as coordinators and get through the draft before we start bitching.
Post #: 580
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 8:19:37 PM  3 votes
bongbong

quote:

Yeesh.

HI Dano. You're right we'll never know what went on. I'm not butthurt, but if the two candidates were affordable, then JH was a no-brainer (and I'm never right about anything). Yes, we "survived" all those all those medicore hires, but we want the best available.
I find it hard to believe JH chose LOI day to make a salary bluff. Who knows?
Post #: 581
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/3/2022 8:33:04 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: bongbong

quote:

Yeesh.

HI Dano. You're right we'll never know what went on. I'm not butthurt, but if the two candidates were affordable, then JH was a no-brainer (and I'm never right about anything). Yes, we "survived" all those all those medicore hires, but we want the best available.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 582
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/4/2022 5:44:48 AM  4 votes
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: bongbong

quote:

Yeesh.

And factor in that Harbaugh would have been able to put together an all-star coaching staff.

I've been happy with the Wilfs, but if it turns out that they or Kwesi pushed for this decision (as opposed to Harbaugh), going with a new head coach over one with an incredible track record, it opens the organization up to quite a lot of criticism if things don't go well.
Post #: 583
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/4/2022 7:03:15 AM   
TJSweens

I think the angst and teeth gnashing over the Vikings not hiring Harbaugh is getting as over the top as Brad's objections to him.

You guys are really engaging in an incredible amount of speculation. How much he was asking for...did he even bring up money...how well would he have coached a completely different roster with a different organization...he would have assembled a staff of assistants who should all be head coaches themselves...

Come on people, you don't know any of this.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 584
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/4/2022 7:15:08 AM  1 votes
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I think the angst and teeth gnashing over the Vikings not hiring Harbaugh is getting as over the top as Brad's objections to him.

You guys are really engaging in an incredible amount of speculation. How much he was asking for...did he even bring up money...how well would he have coached a completely different roster with a different organization...he would have assembled a staff of assistants who should all be head coaches themselves...

Kwesi's supposed to be all about analytics. What kind of analytics model favors O'Connell over Harbaugh? Past success is an excellent predictor of future success for NFL coaches. New head coaches are a mixed bag.
Post #: 585
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/4/2022 7:56:18 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

Kwesi's supposed to be all about analytics. What kind of analytics model favors O'Connell over Harbaugh? Past success is an excellent predictor of future success for NFL coaches. New head coaches are a mixed bag.

The kind of analytics that take into account all aspects of a coaches responsibilites, personality traits, organizational habits, etc etc etc. Not just past performance 8-12 years ago in a different organization. No matter how highly you think of Harbaugh, he is a very polarizing figure for a reason, he is a mixed bag. He’s not for everybody … or everybody would be knocking down his door. They’re not.

Past success is a great indicator of future success, maybe the best, but that alone doesn’t ensure future success. Harbaugh will have to find the right situation to be successful in the nfl, so will we. They broke bread face to face for eight hours and then went their own directions. It obviously wasn’t the right fit for one or the other - it takes both to make it work, both moved on, end of story.

Analytics survey the current variables as well as past ones.
Post #: 586
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/4/2022 8:12:08 AM   
Bill Jandro

I hope money wasn't the issue for not hiring Harbaugh.

The last time the Wilf's had to eat a contract they promoted Frazier to HC on the cheap.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 587
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/4/2022 8:32:58 AM  1 votes
ronhextall

If the GM gets the next QB wrong he is likely gone in 3-4 years.

I think Harbaugh is so good he might have “coached up” any QB a little bit.

As long as it wasn’t some defensive HC I am fine. Harbaugh excited me and a defensive coach would have depressed me.
Post #: 588
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/4/2022 8:41:02 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

My impression is that's not true at all ... and it's what I figured when we hired him: something goes wrong, someone doesn't like a decision and it's Kwesi and his analytics F this up

I got sucked in and my initial reaction was "damn" when Harbaugh didn't get the job. But that didn't last long. This could be some good stuff going forward. A 37 year-old bright guy. Won't that be cool when it works out to great teams going forward?
Post #: 589
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/4/2022 9:16:26 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

The kind of analytics that take into account all aspects of a coaches responsibilites, personality traits, organizational habits, etc etc etc. Not just past performance 8-12 years ago in a different organization. No matter how highly you think of Harbaugh, he is a very polarizing figure for a reason, he is a mixed bag. He’s not for everybody … or everybody would be knocking down his door. They’re not.

Past success is a great indicator of future success, maybe the best, but that alone doesn’t ensure future success. Harbaugh will have to find the right situation to be successful in the nfl, so will we. They broke bread face to face for eight hours and then went their own directions. It obviously wasn’t the right fit for one or the other - it takes both to make it work, both moved on, end of story.

A win and loss record by itself is not analytics. Analytics helps quantify what went into that record. As you said, there are so many variables to explore. I agree. I think both sides decided it wasn't a fit.

FWIW, Doogie's sources told him O'Connell was the favorite heading into the second round of interviews.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 590
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/4/2022 10:04:29 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

A win and loss record by itself is not analytics. Analytics helps quantify what went into that record. As you said, there are so many variables to explore. I agree. I think both sides decided it wasn't a fit.

FWIW, Doogie's sources told him O'Connell was the favorite heading into the second round of interviews.

My purely speculative, non-objective self thinks that ... the hands-off Wilfs and the newbie Adofo-Mensah put a lot more weight on the HC candidates 'this is my vision of your franchise' versus the usual 'this is what I plan to give you based on what I've done in the past'.

Its risky ... the typical path (when you lack experience) is to clump onto somebody with a wealth of experience. These guys really seem determined to forge a new path.

I really do think Harbaugh was a late attempt to cover all their search bases of the 'usual suspects'. I also think they were obviously most impressed by O'Connell out of a group of very impressive people, including Harbaugh.
Post #: 591
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/4/2022 10:09:21 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

My impression is that's not true at all ... and it's what I figured when we hired him: something goes wrong, someone doesn't like a decision and it's Kwesi and his analytics F this up

I got sucked in and my initial reaction was "damn" when Harbaugh didn't get the job. But that didn't last long. This could be some good stuff going forward. A 37 year-old bright guy. Won't that be cool when it works out to great teams going forward?

Yes, its all out there. Time will tell but I think these are some ballsy non-cookie cutter moves.
Post #: 592
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/4/2022 10:33:24 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

I think this is more confusion about analytics.

Analytics is not looking at boxscores, overall record, number of TDs thrown, etc. That's shit everyone knows and all you need is a newspaper or profootballreference.com to get your "data".

Analytics is trying to explain things that aren't so quantifiable. It's not "what happened?" it's "why did it happen?" and "how can I make this happen more regularly?".
Post #: 593
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/4/2022 10:33:31 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

My purely speculative, non-objective self thinks that ... the hands-off Wilfs and the newbie Adofo-Mensah put a lot more weight on the HC candidates 'this is my vision of your franchise' versus the usual 'this is what I plan to give you based on what I've done in the past'.

Its risky ... the typical path (when you lack experience) is to clump onto somebody with a wealth of experience. These guys really seem determined to forge a new path.

I really do think Harbaugh was a late attempt to cover all their search bases of the 'usual suspects'. I also think they were obviously most impressed by O'Connell out of a group of very impressive people, including Harbaugh.

Bingo! Vision was the recurring theme throughout the GM process. They wanted a coach who shared vision with Adofo-Mensah. The Wilfs have never had that at any time in their ownership. They hired Chilli and went through two subsequent GM's. Then foisted cut rate Frazier on Spielman, who then hired Zimmer to be the anti-Frazier instead of sharing a vision. By the end the dysfunction between the two of them was enormous. The Wilfs apparently decided to clean house, hire a GM because they liked his vision and then let him hire a coach with a compatible vision.

Post #: 594
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/4/2022 11:00:17 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

Analytics is not looking at boxscores, overall record, number of TDs thrown, etc. That's shit everyone knows and all you need is a newspaper or profootballreference.com to get your "data".

Analytics is trying to explain things that aren't so quantifiable. It's not "what happened?" it's "why did it happen?" and "how can I make this happen more regularly?".

Make no mistake, I'm not confused about analytics. Analytics doesn't ignore important quantifiable relationships, such as the relationship between past and future head coaching success, even if it is "shit everyone knows".
Post #: 595
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/4/2022 11:35:30 AM   
geoffrey greitzer

Rumor...not ok if this happens...

old GB DC might be DC here...Mike Pettine

Screw that.
Post #: 596
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/4/2022 11:42:18 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Make no mistake, I'm not confused about analytics. Analytics doesn't ignore important quantifiable relationships, such as the relationship between past and future head coaching success, even if it is "shit everyone knows".

And I'm pretty sure KAM is fully aware of Harbaugh's past record.
Post #: 597
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/4/2022 12:10:24 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

As such, pretty easy to see that the Vikings did not use analytics to choose O'Connell over Harbaugh based on expected future wins and losses. Going with culture, personality, etc., i.e., hard to measure criteria that would be difficult to correlate with NFL wins, is pretty much anti-analytics.
Post #: 598
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/4/2022 12:17:44 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

As such, pretty easy to see that the Vikings did not use analytics to choose O'Connell over Harbaugh based on expected future wins and losses. Going with culture, personality, etc., i.e., hard to measure criteria that would be difficult to correlate with NFL wins, is pretty much anti-analytics.

Win/loss record is probably the most "anti-analytics" thing there is.
Post #: 599
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/4/2022 12:21:41 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Embittered viking fans desperate for a SB, like myself, quantify the relationship between past and future HC success. That is drawing conclusions from one result to another. Not analytics.

To start with, the players, coaches, staff, processes, opponents, the game , the world ... even Harbaugh himself ... are vastly different from then to now.
Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Our New Head Coach Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode