Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2022 NFL draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2022 NFL draft Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/22/2022 4:20:13 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nate

Hicks, Phillips and McGill aren't going to keep anyone up at night. Hicks is a tackler but not a coverer, we'll see how he fares in assignments I guess. Replacing Pierce with Phillips isn't much of a gain IMO other than not being injured. Z Smith can be beastly if healthy, much the same as Hunter so that at least has some excitement to it. Hopefully they remain healthy this year. Our back secondary is majorly hurting though so we better be instantly putting pressure on the QB or we're toast and we still haven't been able to stop the run in a few years. Maybe the new look D-scheme will help but traditionally our DL doesn't penetrate, our LBs don't shed blocks and our secondary plays soft zone, which means we start to tackle folks 4-5 yards past the LOS on runs and give up 8-12 yard passes... Maybe this is all typical early fandom panic, but it sure feels the same, Hope Springs Eternal!

How does the bolded apply? There is an entirely new defensive coaching staff and a scheme change. Unless the Wilfs or Rob B was scheming the D, the past is the past.
Post #: 226
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/22/2022 4:21:10 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

/rant

Ok, I was being patient and hoping for some clarity on what the new regime is planning, but it looks to be same old, same old here in MN. The Mannion signing officially put me in the "WTF is going on?!!?!?!?!" category.

I hate the KFC extension, 2 more years of mediocrity. I get there are not better options out there and he essentially has us hogtied into keeping him to remain "competitive" or blowing this up (which is not an option apparently in Wilfville). We just signed up for 2 more years of average. Pushing money down the road, prorating for cap today, just more of the same garbage that got us into this mess. Pay later for an average team today, yippee.

The new management have been really slow to make moves, making no trades to note and not participating in FA at all because of it, other than signing bottom of the barrel "diamonds". They apparently can't decide on what to do, or get what they want in a trade, so they just resort to more of the same by keeping our over-priced guys, adding more years and cap hell and not fixing much of anything. The Mannion signing just straight up pisses me off, that's a slap in the face to anyone who watches football. We have zero hope of winning any game he's in, smart teams have at least someone that can get them average play, maybe even win a game or two but this just reeks of pleasing the room and not rocking the KFC boat. Brutally short sighted.

I don't see this ship turning around soon, I see us flailing bigtime this year with angry fans asking management "what changed!?!?". Blow this shit up already.

/rant

Good Rant!

If you ignore the 3 starters on D signed when we started well in the red.

Are you counting McGill as one of the three? And ignoring Woods walking? Conklin walking?
Post #: 227
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/22/2022 4:24:13 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Read this elsewhere:

What everyone on the “kick the can down the road” train needs to remember, is the road never stops. No NFL team needs to worry about a road not there to kick the can again and again.

Time for Plan B... an infinite number of voidable years where we endlessly stash money! Screw the cap, cap hell, and just leverage away! It's the American way!
Post #: 228
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/22/2022 6:26:10 PM   
Nate

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

Hicks, Phillips and McGill aren't going to keep anyone up at night. Hicks is a tackler but not a coverer, we'll see how he fares in assignments I guess. Replacing Pierce with Phillips isn't much of a gain IMO other than not being injured. Z Smith can be beastly if healthy, much the same as Hunter so that at least has some excitement to it. Hopefully they remain healthy this year. Our back secondary is majorly hurting though so we better be instantly putting pressure on the QB or we're toast and we still haven't been able to stop the run in a few years. Maybe the new look D-scheme will help but traditionally our DL doesn't penetrate, our LBs don't shed blocks and our secondary plays soft zone, which means we start to tackle folks 4-5 yards past the LOS on runs and give up 8-12 yard passes... Maybe this is all typical early fandom panic, but it sure feels the same, Hope Springs Eternal!

How does the bolded apply? There is an entirely new defensive coaching staff and a scheme change. Unless the Wilfs or Rob B was scheming the D, the past is the past.

I'm as hopeful as the next guy on a new scheme bringing better results but it's largely the same team who has been coached the same way by Zim for all these years. The scheme they ran was so specific and anal that Zim preferred bad veterans with experience in his system over any modicum of talent upgrade. We can hope they can become ship builders but years of making canoes doesn't bode well for a rapid improvement. An improved pass rush can do a lot to hide things though so at the very least I'll be rooting for Erin to hit the turf frequently.
Post #: 229
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/24/2022 6:37:18 PM   
marty

I would be shocked if the Vikings took Willis or Pickett at 12.

CB seems the most logical 1st round pick, unless you think Jordan Davis is the next Aaron Donald.

Rams defense was 15th in points allowed, maybe the Vikes will draft a WR with their 1st round pick. Is Treylon Burks the next Kupp ?
Post #: 230
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/24/2022 8:20:30 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I would be shocked if the Vikings took Willis or Pickett at 12.

CB seems the most logical 1st round pick, unless you think Jordan Davis is the next Aaron Donald.

Rams defense was 15th in points allowed, maybe the Vikes will draft a WR with their 1st round pick. Is Treylon Burks the next Kupp ?

Weird, but not surprising, how you say "the Vikings" and "the Vikes". Never "us" or "we".

Even more weird was how you referred to (them) in the same order in the General Vikings thread:

I am surprised by the direction the Vikings went, I was hoping they would get a haul for Cousins.

It's true you can somewhat keep pushing things down the road, maybe the Vikes ...

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 3/24/2022 8:32:40 PM >
Post #: 231
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/24/2022 9:24:34 PM   
marty

I was hoping my points would be discussed, not 'we' usage.

A long, long time ago, I used "we" when talking about the Vikings. And I read some discussions on this, and people asking others if they were on the team, and such.... I decided to just refer to them as Vikings, or Vikes, and am surprised that a reversal has happened, and it's being called wierd to use Vikings in this context. How weird.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 232
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/24/2022 9:29:35 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

I was hoping my points would be discussed, not 'we' usage.

A long, long time ago, I used "we" when talking about the Vikings. And I read some discussions on this, and people asking others if they were on the team, and such.... I decided to just refer to them as Vikings, or Vikes, and am surprised that a reversal has happened, and it's being called wierd to use Vikings in this context. How weird.

Sure. Whatever you say. Meanwhile, 'we' and 'us' have been used for years here.

Weird too how your post count went up dramatically after SF shellacked the pack yet again, and with the Adams trade. #closetpackfan
Post #: 233
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/25/2022 8:39:23 PM   
marty

Yes, we and us have been used for years here, and I have avoided using it for years.

Bill, did it occur to you that I was happy the Pack lost to SF, and that they lost Davante ? I don't know why I am even addressing your stupidity displayed here.

Hopefully we can get back to talking about the draft, and not drag on with Bill's conspiracy stupidity.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 234
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/27/2022 9:27:17 AM   
marty

I like it when the Vikes do enough in FA where it becomes hard to predict greatest need, which is for many teams, the position chosen in the first round.

This year they have yet to do that, and CB seems highly likely with the first pick. This makes it easier for other teams, having a good idea knowing where to trade up to, to get their player.

Part of me would like to see the Vikes snipe the Pack by getting a WR, it would be even better if the Vikes traded back a few spots, and still took a WR.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 235
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/27/2022 6:23:54 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

I like it when the Vikes do enough in FA where it becomes hard to predict greatest need, which is for many teams, the position chosen in the first round.

This year they have yet to do that, and CB seems highly likely with the first pick. This makes it easier for other teams, having a good idea knowing where to trade up to, to get their player.

Part of me would like to see the Vikes snipe the Pack by getting a WR, it would be even better if the Vikes traded back a few spots, and still took a WR.

Nice interjection of multiple "the Vikes". But yeah, attention will soon turn heavily to the draft so time to focus on it.
Post #: 236
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/28/2022 12:47:16 PM   
bstinger

I've done several mock drafts on PFF.

I'm going off their rankings of players so take it for what it's worth, I haven't spent much time evaluating individual players.

There are 3 top CB's in the draft. Over half the time they are all gone at 12. There are 3 more CB's ranked 27, 29, and 30.

What I usually do when the 3 top CB's are gone is trade back 5-7 picks and get Linderbaum, rated 19th, for C. Then I trade up and get one of the 2nd tier CB's. There are only 3 interior OL rated in the top 50 players and 7 total in the top 100. Linderbaum stands far above the rest and C is a huge need. I might even do this trade back if one of the top 3 CB's is there, but that would depend on a lot of evaluation information that I'll never have.

I'm also interested in Marcus Jones CB from Houston. He's ranked 91, so late 3rd? He's only 5'8", so probably a slot corner. His PFF blurb is this... Jones is not only the best kick/punt returner in the draft but also a playmaking, all-around cornerback. He picked off five passes and broke up 12 others this season.

With the signing of the GB corner, adding a slot CB isn't as important as it was before, but I think he'd be worth consideration.

Would be nice to have improved punt returns. Possibly even cook up some O plays for him if he's especially elusive.

< Message edited by bstinger -- 3/28/2022 1:08:15 PM >

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 237
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/28/2022 4:57:19 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

I'm going off their rankings of players so take it for what it's worth, I haven't spent much time evaluating individual players.

There are 3 top CB's in the draft. Over half the time they are all gone at 12. There are 3 more CB's ranked 27, 29, and 30.

What I usually do when the 3 top CB's are gone is trade back 5-7 picks and get Linderbaum, rated 19th, for C. Then I trade up and get one of the 2nd tier CB's. There are only 3 interior OL rated in the top 50 players and 7 total in the top 100. Linderbaum stands far above the rest and C is a huge need. I might even do this trade back if one of the top 3 CB's is there, but that would depend on a lot of evaluation information that I'll never have.

I'm also interested in Marcus Jones CB from Houston. He's ranked 91, so late 3rd? He's only 5'8", so probably a slot corner. His PFF blurb is this... Jones is not only the best kick/punt returner in the draft but also a playmaking, all-around cornerback. He picked off five passes and broke up 12 others this season.

With the signing of the GB corner, adding a slot CB isn't as important as it was before, but I think he'd be worth consideration.

Would be nice to have improved punt returns. Possibly even cook up some O plays for him if he's especially elusive.

Linderbaum is one of the highest rated Centers ever. I wouldn't be upset with that pick.

I think we will be picking up a FA Ol this week though and realize how desperate we are for DB's though.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 238
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/28/2022 5:28:54 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

Linderbaum is one of the highest rated Centers ever. I wouldn't be upset with that pick.

I think we will be picking up a FA Ol this week though and realize how desperate we are for DB's though.

Wha ...?

Tyler Linderbaum is not even rated as high as Bradbury overall. Actually very similar but Bradbury had a great combine and Linderbaum did not work out at the combine or his pro day ... and was the smallest OL hanging out at the combine ... no thanks.

Linderbaum rated 6.70 as a draft prospect, Bradbury was rated 6.70
Linderbaum rated 19th best prospect, Bradbury taken 18th
Linderbaum 6'2 296 arms 31 1/8" hands 10", Bradbury 6'3 306 arms 31 3/4" hands 10 1/2"

Can we find a center that doesn't get manipulated by big mean DTs like a hand puppet?
Post #: 239
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/28/2022 6:11:09 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

Wha ...?

Tyler Linderbaum is not even rated as high as Bradbury overall. Actually very similar but Bradbury had a great combine and Linderbaum did not work out at the combine or his pro day ... and was the smallest OL hanging out at the combine ... no thanks.

Linderbaum 6'2 296 arms 31 1/8" hands 10", Bradbury 6'3 306 arms 31 3/4" hands 10 1/2"

Can we find a center that doesn't get manipulated by big mean DTs like a hand puppet?

His size is definitely a concern. I really like him and everybody has him as a Round 1 pick.
Like I said though we should be addressing the Ol some as soon as this week and our 1st pick will be a DB in the draft.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 240
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/28/2022 6:18:25 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wha ...?

Manipulated? How about mauled?

Linderbaum is probably some upper midwest product, hence some see... well, I don't know what they see.
Post #: 241
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/28/2022 6:25:58 PM   
Bill Johanesen

I really wanted Elgton Jenkins (who went 44th) the year we wasted a high pick on Badbury. Mainly because he was bigger and nastier. But we went with the light in the sack, zone blocking, ex-wrestler choice.

Centers like Creed Humphrey and Landon Dickerson have recently been selected outside of the first round. I hope they do that (or G) this year.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 3/28/2022 6:35:08 PM >
Post #: 242
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/28/2022 6:46:01 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wha ...?

His size is definitely a concern. I really like him and everybody has him as a Round 1 pick.
Like I said though we should be addressing the Ol some as soon as this week and our 1st pick will be a DB in the draft.

I agree, I would rather address Center with a veteran even a Bates / Phillips / Sullivan type young player with an ascending label, than another small draft prospect. Even a Tretter with solid experience and legs about to collapse outward.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 3/28/2022 7:01:41 PM >
Post #: 243
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/28/2022 7:01:01 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

I really wanted Elgton Jenkins (who went 44th) the year we wasted a high pick on Badbury. Mainly because he was bigger and nastier. But we went with the light in the sack, zone blocking, ex-wrestler choice.

Centers like Creed Humphrey and Landon Dickerson have recently been selected outside of the first round. I hope they do that (or G) this year.

Yes, I get the scheme requirements but the baseline has to start at big and nasty.
Post #: 244
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/28/2022 8:07:30 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wha ...?

Both have T Rex arms. Stay away from Linderbaum

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 245
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/28/2022 11:07:42 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

I am 6’4 ..

My right arm is 32.75 “ long from armpit to middle finger tip..

STFU about “ t-Rex arms”

You know nothing.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 246
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/29/2022 7:28:52 AM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wha ...?

What if the top 3 CB's are gone at 12?

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 247
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/29/2022 8:09:41 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wha ...?

Grab NT Davis or an Edge. I would even grab TE/WR/S....need never seems to work.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 248
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/29/2022 8:14:19 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

I am 6’4 ..

My right arm is 32.75 “ long from armpit to middle finger tip..

STFU about “ t-Rex arms”

You know nothing.

Just stating the facts.

Post #: 249
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 3/29/2022 8:18:05 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wha ...?

Grab NT Davis or an Edge. I would even grab TE/WR/S....need never seems to work.

That article about SF going all out on the dline with substandard cb's did make a lot of sense (to me anyway). I still think we need at least one very good cb that currently isn't on the roster. Not PP either.

Post #: 250
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2022 NFL draft Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode