Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2022 Free Agency

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2022 Free Agency Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 4/25/2022 7:08:51 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

On a national radio program, I heard a guy from SF talking about how he got excited EVERY play where Deebo got the ball, and he how he's not really looking forward to the upcoming season without Deebo, and how the team will probably have a sucky season.

Deebo is NOT David Boston, he is more like Moss or Peterson, where we would get excited EVERY time they got the ball into his hands

I know it's not a comfortable spot for you but there's this thing called reality.

Which means no matter how many words you waste on truly wanting him, or just merely to enjoy the attention doing so brings you...it's not gonna happen.
Post #: 501
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 4/25/2022 7:42:13 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

I would either trade a 2nd rounder this year along with a 2nd rounder next year, or package Thielen with a 3rd rounder.

So would I.

Problem is the 49ers won't. They would hang up the phone pretty quick on those proposals.

Yep. Thielen is, and has been, an incredible asset for the Vikings. He’s also the player most overrated by Vikings fans in general by a mile.

Preferred red zone target. Nobody talks about how many games Debo has missed. He is severely underpaid

Thielen is missing a lot of games the past few years as well, and is, if anything, overpaid given production. Severely underpaid? David's point could not have be made better...

He was exceptional value except this contract....

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 502
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 4/25/2022 7:43:44 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

On a national radio program, I heard a guy from SF talking about how he got excited EVERY play where Deebo got the ball, and he how he's not really looking forward to the upcoming season without Deebo, and how the team will probably have a sucky season.

Deebo is NOT David Boston, he is more like Moss or Peterson, where we would get excited EVERY time they got the ball into his hands

I know it's not a comfortable spot for you but there's this thing called reality.

Which means no matter how many words you waste on truly wanting him, or just merely to enjoy the attention doing so brings you...it's not gonna happen.

Deebo isn't Moss. He is a better Atlanta CPatt; he is most effective running and catching. I would rather find another Diggs in the fifth.

Post #: 503
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 4/25/2022 8:15:15 AM   
Bill Johanesen

"... he is more like Moss or Peterson, where we would get very excited EVERY time they got the ball..."

Long
2019, 42
2020, 35
2021, 83

First three years for Moss and Peterson
Moss, 61, 67, 78
Peterson, 73, 67, 64

Whack-a-doodle comparison that insults the greats. Maybe YOU would get excited... in your very personal way.
Post #: 504
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 4/25/2022 11:11:03 AM   
marty

Your numbers proved my point.

Deebo can break an 83 harder, which is longer than any Moss or Peterson TD in their 1st 3 years.

What did Moss do in Oakland ? Add Deebo with Jefferson and Cook at RB, and you have the potential of a scoring machine that can out score any team.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 505
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 4/25/2022 11:14:00 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Deebo can break an 83 harder, which is longer than any Moss or Peterson TD in their 1st 3 years.

What did Moss do in Oakland ? Add Deebo with Jefferson and Cook at RB, and you have the potential of a scoring machine that can out score any team.

We would be better served drafting Williams from Alabama in the 1st then trading for Deebo. It would take the draft capital given to GB and then a Cousins like contract for 3 years....

Post #: 506
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 4/25/2022 12:47:32 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Big deal, one long gainer against busted coverage.

Please.

Ah who cares. Knock yourself out.
Post #: 507
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 4/25/2022 3:51:21 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

We would be better served drafting Williams from Alabama in the 1st then trading for Deebo. It would take the draft capital given to GB and then a Cousins like contract for 3 years....

Exactly. The cost would be too high when you factor draft capital and the subsequent contract Deebo wants.

We already have Jefferson, and this draft is loaded with talanted wideouts. Deebo is a pipedream.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 508
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 4/25/2022 7:40:00 PM   
marty

The contract you would just make happen, push some money down the road, justified after you've won a Superbowl.

Where I now agree is SF wanting 2 1sts is too high of a price to pay for Deebo. I would either give:

A) a 2nd this year along with a 2nd next year
B) a 2nd and a 3rd both from this year's draft
C) Thielen and a 3rd

But Mark is probably correct in that the 49ers would want more than that.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 509
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 4/25/2022 10:59:10 PM   
thebigo

quote:

We should just bring back Jarius Wright.
Post #: 510
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 4/26/2022 7:16:41 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

The contract you would just make happen, push some money down the road, justified after you've won a Superbowl.

Where I now agree is SF wanting 2 1sts is too high of a price to pay for Deebo. I would either give:

A) a 2nd this year along with a 2nd next year
B) a 2nd and a 3rd both from this year's draft
C) Thielen and a 3rd

But Mark is probably correct in that the 49ers would want more than that.

It would be way smarter to trade for James Bradberry than Deebo. Bradberry could be had for a 4th or 5th and top 100 player. Deebo is 2 firsts and way more money.

From Fansided:
The NY Giants could get more draft picks by trading James Bradberry
If there was a suitor out there who offered a third-round pick, Joe Schoen and the Giants likely would have accepted it by now. Lacking leverage, and running out of time if they are looking to gain 2022 draft capital, it is far more likely an acceptable trade value for Bradberry lands in the fourth-round range – potentially even lower.

On the assumption that a fourth-round pick is likely the best-case scenario, let’s take a look at three potential landing spots for Bradberry, and what the return would look like for the Giants using the Rich Hill trade value chart.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/27/2022 10:53:39 AM >

Post #: 511
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 4/26/2022 8:41:14 AM   
marty

Not sure Wright nor Bradbury command the same respect from defenses as Deebo, but Bradbury sounds interesting.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 512
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 4/27/2022 10:31:11 AM   
thebigo

quote:

Not sure Wright nor Bradbury command the same respect from defenses as Deebo, but Bradbury sounds interesting.

Wright had an 87 yard TD reception in his 3rd season.
Post #: 513
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 4/27/2022 10:58:14 AM   
marty

Yes, but it takes more than one play to command the kind of respect Deebo now gets.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 514
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 4/27/2022 11:44:05 AM   
thebigo

quote:

Yes, but it takes more than one play to command the kind of respect Deebo now gets.

Oh, so that's how that works. Who knew?
Post #: 515
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 4/27/2022 2:05:51 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Oh, so that's how that works. Who knew?

Saw that one coming from a mile away. A classic, maybe for not though as it went right over his head.
Post #: 516
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 4/27/2022 4:34:46 PM   
marty

I am so impressed

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 517
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 4/30/2022 8:24:10 AM   
Ricky J

Ari Meirov
@MySportsUpdate
·
10h
The FA market should return to focus after the draft. Names still available:

*Tyrann Mathieu
*Jadeveon Clowney
*Odell Beckham Jr
*Jarvis Landry
*Julio Jones
*JC Tretter
*Eric Fisher
*Akiem Hicks
*Will Fuller
*Anthony Barr
*Melvin Ingram
*Trey Flowers
*Duane Brown
*Jerry Hughes
Post #: 518
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 4/30/2022 8:32:42 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Ari Meirov
@MySportsUpdate
·
10h
The FA market should return to focus after the draft. Names still available:

*Tyrann Mathieu
*Jadeveon Clowney
*Odell Beckham Jr
*Jarvis Landry
*Julio Jones
*JC Tretter
*Eric Fisher
*Akiem Hicks
*Will Fuller
*Anthony Barr
*Melvin Ingram
*Trey Flowers
*Duane Brown
*Jerry Hughes

Tretter and Hicks would be nice. Need some creative accounting to sign them though.
Post #: 519
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 5/5/2022 12:00:41 PM   
Phil Riewer

SKOR North
@SKORNorth
·
2m
NEW KICKER: The Minnesota #Vikings are reportedly signing Oklahoma kicker Gabe Brkic. 🦵🏈

Brkic made 82% of his kicks with the Sooners.

Post #: 520
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 5/5/2022 12:15:49 PM   
David Levine

Brkic (pronounced BUR-kitch) redshirted the 2018 season behind Austin Seibert. He received second-team all-conference accolades the following fall by converting all 17 field goal attempts (long 50) and all 52 extra point tries -- the only FBS kicker to make every kick. Brkic kicked a game-winner against Baylor (31 yards) and set a school record with those 17 straight made field goals. He made 20 made field goals in 2020, garnering first-team All-Big 12 honors (20-26-76.9, long 54 FG; 49-49-100.0 XP; 29 touchbacks on 70 kickoffs). League coaches voted him second-team all-conference in 2021 and he was a finalist for the Lou Groza Award as the nation's top kicker (20-26-76.9, long 56, 5-7 from 50-plus yards; 57-58-98.3 XP; 39 touchbacks on 84 kickoffs). -- by Chad Reuter

Overview
Brkic had decent power in 2020, but he was a more composed and effective striker of the football in 2021. Hitting five of his seven attempts from 50-plus yards, Brkic improved his draft stock, but he lacks premium accuracy on intermediate kicks. Brkic could be a Day 3 selection, but needs to sharpen his placement and touchback rate on kickoffs.

Strengths
• Rapid step-to-kick operation time.
• Ball striking is compact.
• Kicked with better power and body control in 2021.
• Generates lift and rotation quickly.
• Nailed three field goals of 50-plus yards (51, 55 and 56) in the same game versus Tulane.

Weaknesses
• Slight push/pull in his kicks from distance.
• Intermediate accuracy can wane.
• Kickoff leg lacks deep-ball power.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/gabe-brkic/32004252-4b41-5291-fb63-8d7fc8a3fadb

----------------

2021 ALL-BIG 12 SECOND TEAM (COACHES): PK Gabe Brkic, Oklahoma,...Brkic, a Lou Groza Award finalist, has made 18 of 24 field goals and all 52 of his PAT attempts this season. The redshirt junior from Chardon, Ohio, has made 8 of 12 field goal attempts from 40 yards or longer and is 5 for 7 on tries from at least 50 yards. He is tied for the national lead with his five field goals of 50 yards or longer, two which were good from 56 yards. Brkic also leads the Big 12 in kick scoring with his 106 total points and scoring average of 8.8 points per game. - Oklahoma Football
Post #: 521
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 5/9/2022 5:00:15 PM   
Phil Riewer

James Bradberry CB Giants was cut due to salary....maybe we give him a try?

Post #: 522
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 5/10/2022 11:50:25 AM   
Phil Riewer

Vikings might have gotten ‘a big steal’ in athletic, undrafted edge rusher Luiji Vilain

By CHRIS TOMASSON | ctomasson@pioneerpress.com | Pioneer Press
PUBLISHED: May 9, 2022 at 9:47 a.m. | UPDATED: May 9, 2022 at 5:21 p.m.
Kwity Paye went from being the No. 21 pick by Indianapolis in the first round of the 2021 draft to making the NFL All-Rookie Team, leading some to call him a steal. Now, that’s what Paye is saying about a fellow edge rusher.

And this guy wasn’t even drafted.

When he played at Michigan, Paye was roommates with Luiji Vilain, who sat out his first two seasons due to knee injuries and didn’t play much in the next two seasons as he worked his way back. But Vilain then transferred to Wake Forest and had a team-high nine sacks in 2021. When he wasn’t selected in last month’s NFL draft, the Vikings reached an agreement to sign him as a priority free agent.

“I think the Vikings got a big steal getting him in free agency,” Paye said. “He’s just that type of player where I feel he didn’t get his fair chance at Michigan, but he’s going to definitely maximize his opportunity and give the Vikings everything he has. He’s an extremely gifted athlete.”
The Vikings are intrigued by Vilain. He was one of 30 prospects they brought in for a pre-draft visit, and they locked him up as the seventh round was ending with a $20,000 signing bonus and by guaranteeing $207,000 of his rookie minimum salary.
The 6-foot-4, 252-pound Vilain will arrive in the Twin Cities on Thursday and sign his deal. He will take the field Friday for the start of a two-day rookie minicamp, beginning his tenure as an outside linebacker in the Vikings’ 3-4 scheme under new defensive coordinator Ed Donatell.
“I feel I’m going to get at Minnesota great coaching and great leadership from guys like Za’Darius Smith and Danielle Hunter and all the other guys in the outside linebacker room,” Vilain said. “Just being able to learn from those people is going to take my game to another level. I don’t even know where it can go, but I know it’s going to go far.”

Vilain, 24, is still raw. He is a native of Ottawa, Canada, born to Louis and Mary Vilain, natives of Haiti. He grew up playing hockey, basketball, soccer and football. But his high school didn’t have a football team, so he played summer league ball up until his junior year.

As a junior, wanting to get seasoning to attract college recruiters, Vilain transferred to Episcopal High School in Alexandria, Va. That worked, and he was recruited to play at Michigan.

His years in the Big Ten did not go well. Vilain missed his freshman year of 2017 with a right knee injury and then sat out 2018 with a left knee injury. He returned to play for the Wolverines in 2019 and 2020 but still wasn’t fully back from his injuries and got into just 12 games with no starts.

“It was definitely frustrating mentally,” Vilain said of his Michigan years. “It was tough physically. And then just having to come back from being out two years was even harder. You think that when you come back you’ll be the same player or even better, which was not the case. I had to work really hard to get back and I ended up transferring, and I felt getting that fresh start really helped me out.”

Finally fully healthy, Vilain showed continued improvement for Wake Forest as last season went along. In the ACC Championship Game against Pittsburgh, he twice sacked Panthers quarterback Kenny Pickett, who was taken with the No. 20 pick in the draft by the Steelers.

“It was great, definitely,” Vilain said of his final collegiate season. “I always knew that I had it in me.”

Vilain doesn’t deny that he has to refine his pass-rush moves and needs to be better against the run. Still, he thought he might be drafted. When he wasn’t, he quickly committed to the Vikings.

“I’m super excited,” he said. “There were a lot of teams calling, but I thought that was where I could develop the best.”

Nate O’Neal, a pass-rush coach who has worked in recent years with Vikings defensive linemen D.J. Wonnum, Kenny Willekes and Janarius Robinson and since-departed lineman Michael Pierce, foresees Vilain developing well with Minnesota. O’Neal, who runs the Feet, Hips and Hands instructional program in Fort Myers, Fla., has worked with Vilain over the past year.

“I think his potential is out of this world,” O’Neal said. “He definitely has a crazy high ceiling. Look at what he did on the field at Wake Forest, which was his first real year of significant playing time in college football. I think the Vikings got a good one.”

Vilain trained regularly with O’Neal leading up to the draft. They worked on power rushing, rush angles, hand placement and pre-snap drills, among other things.

“He just needs to continue to get reps,” O’Neal said. “He’s going to continue to get better. He’s going to play for a long time in the NFL and he’s going to do that at a high level.”

Vilain is hoping to provide the NFL with another Canadian. Last season, there were 29 natives on NFL rosters.

Vilain is friendly with many of the Canadians in the league. That includes former Michigan and University of Minnesota defensive back Benjamin St-Juste, a Montreal native who is now with the Washington Commanders and had Vilain as a groomsman at his wedding last month.

Vilain has been talking regularly to St-Juste to learn about the Twin Cities and to get some tips on playing in the NFL. He also has been speaking with his good friend Paye, who started all 15 games he played last year for the Colts and finished with four sacks and 10 quarterback hits.

“He hasn’t had any injuries since (his first two years at Michigan), and he’s just been steadily climbing and continuing to improve, and this past year he played extremely well at Wake Forest,” Paye said of Vilain. “And I feel like he can be even so much better. I’m personally excited to see how he does with the Vikings, and I think he’ll touch the field his rookie year.”

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 5/10/2022 11:52:04 AM >

Post #: 523
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 5/10/2022 12:20:33 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Deebo would make it MUCH harder for the opposition to stop the Vikings' offense.

Not a bad move when you have a mediocre QB and are trying to win a Super Bowl.

You make it happen financially, this is where you move money down the road, because you're going for it right now.

We already got Deebo in the draft under the name of Ty Chandler.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 524
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 5/10/2022 12:21:37 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

Deebo would make it MUCH harder for the opposition to stop the Vikings' offense.

Not a bad move when you have a mediocre QB and are trying to win a Super Bowl.

You make it happen financially, this is where you move money down the road, because you're going for it right now.

You can have five Deebo Samuels' on the team, and if your defense gives up 426 points you aren't going anywhere.

Thank you. So nice to know that Kirk wasn't the problem.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 525
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2022 Free Agency Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode