Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 10:42:51 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

The weirdest thing about the offense was that Kirk actually looked more aware, involved, and mobile then I have ever seen him.

Even the big play to JJ he went the wrong way on the play action moved forward in the pocket the wrong way and he feet were planted the wrong way and still delivered (albeit a wounded duck) to JJ for a big play.

Hopefully, we'll stop seeing that as weird soon.
But i ill say, seeing him audible was weird to me, "Wait! Oh yeah, its probably ok to do that now. "

Weird in that he looked agile and even when his footwork was messed up he made a play; that hasn't been the case. He looks totally into it. Yes on the audible also.

I LOVED that he was coming to the line and using the audible. Zimmer was such a control freak I don't think he allowed it. It was one of my criticisms of Cousins for a long time that he never would audible. I did suspect he wasn't allowed, but if he had any kind of balls he would have pushed for it. Now it looks like he's reading a defense and changing a play to something that should work better instead of coming to the line seeing 8 men in the box and still handing the ball off to a run into a giant mass of humanity.

There are some very good signs of things changing in a positive way with KOC.

And those things could carry us far.

I am really trying to temper my enthusiasm after this win...but there were so many good things and so few bad.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 226
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 10:49:06 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

It was nice having a long time consuming drive when we needed it. That was supposed to be Zimmers calling card but yet it seemed like we could never do it.

Zimmer didn't understand that even a long, time-consuming-drive requires some dynamic plays mixed in. He thought you could just call bland, run-of-the-mill small gainers and convert your third downs repeatedly. In my opinion, this was a symptom of his biggest strategic weakness as a head coach, he consistently assumed the opposing coach would do the same things he would. In this case, "I'd let them take 4-5 yards at a crack so we're going to succeed with that too."

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 227
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 11:43:57 AM   
Nate

Our execution was pretty darn good but I know there will be games where we have TOs and penalties, stall out, and our bliss will deflate a little. Regardless, the approach is lightyears ahead of where we were. Getting to the line early and having the ability to have one or more motions and shifts, audibles, protection changes, etc, is sooooo refreshing. Seeing 11 personnel group out there so often was also beautiful. The play where we went up to the line quickly to try and draw GB offsides right before end of quarter, while not successful, is the gamesmanship and smart play that Zim would never do. I saw more real WR routes on Sunday that had meaning instead of short buttonhooks and decoys with 1 targeted route. Everyone should feel they could get the ball.

Even on D, there wasn't as much confusion pre-snap where they are barely set or maybe not set when the ball is snapped. No safeties sprinting to the line and back to the outfield, no DTs dropping back in zone coverage. No LBs slapping DLs on the but to move over 3inches. They still are getting pushed back and giving up 4-5 yard runs consistently. I hope they can get that fixed or other teams will run us to death.
Post #: 228
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 11:49:43 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

Top-5 #Vikings defensive
@PFF
grades from week 1 (minimum 15 snaps):

1. Harrison Smith (87.5)
2. Dalvin Tomlinson (83.8)
3. Harrison Phillips (77.7)
4. Eric Kendricks (76.4)
5. Cam Bynum (73.4)

Smith continues to prove he can STILL play at a high level!

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 229
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 11:50:31 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nate

Our execution was pretty darn good but I know there will be games where we have TOs and penalties, stall out, and our bliss will deflate a little. Regardless, the approach is lightyears ahead of where we were. Getting to the line early and having the ability to have one or more motions and shifts, audibles, protection changes, etc, is sooooo refreshing. Seeing 11 personnel group out there so often was also beautiful. The play where we went up to the line quickly to try and draw GB offsides right before end of quarter, while not successful, is the gamesmanship and smart play that Zim would never do. I saw more real WR routes on Sunday that had meaning instead of short buttonhooks and decoys with 1 targeted route. Everyone should feel they could get the ball.

Even on D, there wasn't as much confusion pre-snap where they are barely set or maybe not set when the ball is snapped. No safeties sprinting to the line and back to the outfield, no DTs dropping back in zone coverage. No LBs slapping DLs on the but to move over 3inches. They still are getting pushed back and giving up 4-5 yard runs consistently. I hope they can get that fixed or other teams will run us to death.

I saw the first play with a 10 yard gain to Mundt which set the tone on top of getting the play in right away and getting Kirk to the line quicker....just so many little things that add up.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 230
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 11:51:07 AM   
geoffrey greitzer

ok..this is the Vikings thread. Idc about the flipping packers and missing bakhtari. they were 13-3 without him last year. and wr, they choose to get more defense help and lost adams. who cares. they got their ass whipped.

Time to get excited about Monday's game. Hopefully more demons will be exorcised. Great start. and Z is a stud! His energy is contagious!

Punter was great. Cousins looked like a top 10 qb. Hicks with a nice kidney shot on Rodgers. Would love to see Irv.. He's not what we all thought. hopefully surprised soon.

Danzler looked a bit timid. Smith was on fire. Horrible Harry was a great addition. Im ready to get permanent purple shades
Post #: 231
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 11:56:07 AM   
Jeff Allen

quote:

Top-5 #Vikings defensive
@PFF

1. Harrison Smith (87.5)
4. Eric Kendricks (76.4)
5. Cam Bynum (73.4)

Team gives up 94 yards on 15 carries and our two DT's and middle LB have good grades? I think the rush defense is an area of concern...PFF is garbage.
Post #: 232
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 12:06:01 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Allen

quote:

Top-5 #Vikings defensive
@PFF

1. Harrison Smith (87.5)
4. Eric Kendricks (76.4)
5. Cam Bynum (73.4)

Team gives up 94 yards on 15 carries and our two DT's and middle LB have good grades? I think the rush defense is an area of concern...PFF is garbage.

It is in context of the Vikes had high safeties (not a safety in the box) so most of the time 6 or in the box and an umbrella coverage where the LB backed up to protect deep.

I think PFF was spot on.

GB had 4 pass plays over 20 yards with a long of 25; MN had 6 with a long of 64. GB had one run over 20 yards; long of 29.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 9/13/2022 12:13:14 PM >

Post #: 233
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 12:23:04 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: geoffrey greitzer

ok..this is the Vikings thread. Idc about the flipping packers and missing bakhtari. they were 13-3 without him last year. and wr, they choose to get more defense help and lost adams. who cares. they got their ass whipped.

Time to get excited about Monday's game. Hopefully more demons will be exorcised. Great start. and Z is a stud! His energy is contagious!

Punter was great. Cousins looked like a top 10 qb. Hicks with a nice kidney shot on Rodgers. Would love to see Irv.. He's not what we all thought. hopefully surprised soon.

Danzler looked a bit timid. Smith was on fire. Horrible Harry was a great addition. Im ready to get permanent purple shades

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 234
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 12:26:08 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Allen

quote:

Top-5 #Vikings defensive
@PFF

1. Harrison Smith (87.5)
4. Eric Kendricks (76.4)
5. Cam Bynum (73.4)

It is in context of the Vikes had high safeties (not a safety in the box) so most of the time 6 or in the box and an umbrella coverage where the LB backed up to protect deep.

I think PFF was spot on.

GB had 4 pass plays over 20 yards with a long of 25; MN had 6 with a long of 64. GB had one run over 20 yards; long of 29.

Yep.

They ran around the ends with lots of TEs and OLinemen pulling and out numbered us.

They didn't have a lot of success up the gut.
Post #: 235
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 12:38:42 PM   
bohumm

PFF is a data point, nothing more, nothing less. The overapplication of analytics in sports, society, healthcare, finance, etc., is almost as bad as ignoring analytics completely.
Post #: 236
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 12:39:59 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

I agree, let's stop analyzing the Packers.

Just one thing though. They opted to Pay his holiness big bucks and knew they couldn't pay Adams too. Aaron can complain all he wants but his own contract is a huge factor in why Adams is gone.

Bring on the Iggles!!! I would love to see Reagor make a big play or two against his old team here.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 237
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 1:07:48 PM   
marty

Adams also really wanted to move closer to home, out west. Adams was not sure how long Rodgers would play before retiring. Adams also wanted to play with his buddy Derek Carr.

< Message edited by marty -- 9/13/2022 1:09:17 PM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 238
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 1:08:45 PM   
marty

So the Packers not having success up the gut, does that mean it's probably not worth it to sign Suh ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 239
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 1:10:54 PM   
geoffrey greitzer

Would love to see Reagor have a good game. I can see them using his in a similar style as Deebo Samuel. That would be fun to watch.
Post #: 240
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 1:25:57 PM   
Steve Lentz

I expect the Eagles to be a tougher game. The crowd will be fired up and in a party mood. The Eagles are feeling very good about themselves right now.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 241
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 2:31:27 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

I expect the Eagles to be a tougher game. The crowd will be fired up and in a party mood. The Eagles are feeling very good about themselves right now.

Better running qb, better WRs, better TE....bigger challenge.

Post #: 242
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 2:36:22 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

I agree, let's stop analyzing the Packers.

Just one thing though. They opted to Pay his holiness big bucks and knew they couldn't pay Adams too. Aaron can complain all he wants but his own contract is a huge factor in why Adams is gone.

Bring on the Iggles!!! I would love to see Reagor make a big play or two against his old team here.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 243
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 2:37:54 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Better running qb, better WRs, better TE....bigger challenge.

They're better than the Puke, but they're not better than us.
Hard fought road win.
27-20

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 244
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 2:43:03 PM   
kgdabom

Kirk on the Dan Patrick Show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaT2Rky9254

We find out his wife dresses him and somehow I'm not surprised.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 245
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 3:18:47 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

So the Packers not having success up the gut, does that mean it's probably not worth it to sign Suh ?

I think our DTs did a good job in this game and would rather we save the money/cap space for other needs down the road, or a center.

Post #: 246
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 3:55:07 PM   
Mark Anderson

Eagles snipe OLB/DE Janarius Robinson from our practice squad.
Post #: 247
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 4:38:52 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Poor Form. Janarius is going to pass false information to them.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 248
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 4:48:57 PM   
Todd M

A lot of solid top 10 power rankings.

PFT joke site has them 18.

Collin Cowherd the opposite end of the spectrum at 3.
Post #: 249
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2022 5:01:18 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Philadelphia Eagles@Eagles
Eagles have placed DE Derek Barnett on Injured Reserve and signed DE Janarius Robinson from the Vikings practice squad.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 250
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode