Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  133 134 [135] 136 137   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 11:19:18 AM   
Ricky J

It's more like we've flipped heads 10 out of 12 times. Now we're going to turn some tails over, kick some sorry asses for a bit, move up to #2 in the power rankings, head into the playoffs with respect we're not used to

Doesn't seem like anyone has a real good handle on why things turn out like they do. The results aren't very common

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 12/7/2022 12:38:32 PM >
Post #: 3351
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 11:38:54 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

Trying to make sense of the disparity between the defense's yards allowed vs. points allowed and red zone efficiency. It seems reasonable to believe that the defense's lack of speed would be less detrimental in the red zone where they're defending less open space.

Damn good point. Also more experienced players knowing where to be.
Post #: 3352
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 11:52:51 AM   
David F.

A trait that many Super Bowl contenders have shared over the years is that they are top 10 in both points scored and points allowed. The Vikes are 11 in points scored per game and 21 in points scored against per game. So we're close - sort of. Make a run in the playoffs this year and come back next year looking to push the offense into the top 5 and defense near the top 10 and we'll be a legit contender. That being said - improvements could still show up THIS year yet. There's still five more games.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 3353
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 12:32:52 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Trying to make sense of the disparity between the defense's yards allowed vs. points allowed and red zone efficiency. It seems reasonable to believe that the defense's lack of speed would be less detrimental in the red zone where they're defending less open space.

Or is it because Donnashell has no more real estate to back the secondary to?

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3354
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 1:46:53 PM   
Steve Lentz

Great weekend spent in the Twin Cities with my grandson and son.
Wild win in a shoot out.
Wolves lose but my grandson got a t-shirt thrown to him and was introduced to Ant.
Vikes win in the last minute and he gets fist bumped by dozens of excited Viking fans on the way out.
He's only 7 and doesn't yet understand the pain of being a Minnesota sports fan.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 3355
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 2:27:24 PM   
GopherFan34

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Wild win in a shoot out.
Wolves lose but my grandson got a t-shirt thrown to him and was introduced to Ant.
Vikes win in the last minute and he gets fist bumped by dozens of excited Viking fans on the way out.
He's only 7 and doesn't yet understand the pain of being a Minnesota sports fan.

Great stuff Steve. Nothing like family time at sporting events. My son and I went to the AR game. Best part, he bought!
Post #: 3356
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 2:35:45 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

Robert Smith look to be as slow as molasses after his 1st Qtr INT.

I think you are correct, it's a big reason.
Post #: 3357
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 2:49:56 PM  1 votes
Ricky J

quote:

Wild win in a shoot out.

Cool beans! Nothing like seeing a kid enjoy the games.
Post #: 3358
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 2:52:45 PM   
Ricky J

Word leaking around Twitter Kirk may be a little more bang up than we all thought.
Post #: 3359
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 2:55:11 PM   
marty

That makes sense Paul, some good points.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3360
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 3:08:13 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

Savvy vet less likely to forget to defend the goal line like Cam Dantzler last year against the Lions.
Post #: 3361
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 3:58:31 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

Savvy vet less likely to forget to defend the goal line like Cam Dantzler last year against the Lions.

You also seem to be forgetting they have a smaller field to defend...thus the soft shell Donatell defense is no longer so open. It squeezes down.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 3362
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 4:23:24 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

He's 50 and playing out of position.
Post #: 3363
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 4:26:16 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

quote:

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 3364
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 4:36:40 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: GopherFan34

quote:

Wild win in a shoot out.

Great stuff Steve. Nothing like family time at sporting events. My son and I went to the AR game. Best part, he bought!

Nice!!!

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 3365
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 5:26:27 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

You also seem to be forgetting they have a smaller field to defend...thus the soft shell Donatell defense is no longer so open. It squeezes down.

Right, Jandro's point. Some combo perhaps. Making sense of it gives reason to believe it could continue to work.
Post #: 3366
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 5:51:45 PM   
GopherFan34

Going against some mediocre defense's here on out should help to get our offense dialed in. Hopefully we figure out this 3rd quarter disaster.
Post #: 3367
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 6:03:32 PM   
GopherFan34

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

quote:

I would like to see a Harrison Smith vs Robert Smith foot race, I bet it's closer than you think.
Post #: 3368
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 6:07:38 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cam Dantzler was a "savvy vet" in the middle of his second season, after missing half of his rookie season?
Post #: 3369
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 6:12:53 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Or is it because Donnashell has no more real estate to back the secondary to?

That was basically jbusse's point, which I agreed with.

Ok, now I see that sly dig at Donnashell.

< Message edited by thebigo -- 12/7/2022 6:50:42 PM >
Post #: 3370
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 6:34:01 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cam Dantzler was a "savvy vet" in the middle of his second season, after missing half of his rookie season?

No, he was the unsavvy, inexperienced, but relatively fast dude that didn't know where to be. I'm agreeing with you that the slower savvy vets tend to be in the right place when their speed limitations aren't as problematic.
Post #: 3371
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 6:37:40 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

You also seem to be forgetting he already said "they're defending less open space."
Post #: 3372
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 6:47:20 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, he was the unsavvy, inexperienced, but relatively fast dude that didn't know where to be. I'm agreeing with you that the slower savvy vets tend to be in the right place when their speed limitations aren't as problematic.

Sorry, I read your Dantzler post wrong, as a sarcastic question vs a statement, which you meant it as.
Post #: 3373
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 6:51:38 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Geez, people are trying to get in on the smaller field in the red zone bandwagon explanation to the point of knocking existing bandwagoneers clear off the wagon.

The real reason is the defenders have less territory to cover; surprised that hasn't even been alluded to.

This is so obvious one has to wonder how any TD passes ever occur from inside the one yard line. You have near double the amount of effective defenders that you do from the ten yard line.
Post #: 3374
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/7/2022 7:17:45 PM   
Bill Johanesen

It's weird on the surface that from the 50 yard line each of say seven pass defenders has to cover on average 4,114 SF (including the EZ).

Blitz two of them and it's 5,760 SF for the remaining five.

Hicks is like, hey I can give you 2,200 SF max.
Post #: 3375
Page:   <<   < prev  133 134 [135] 136 137   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  133 134 [135] 136 137   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode