Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  225 226 [227] 228 229   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2023 10:04:09 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

8 out of the last 9 Super Bowls were won by QBs not on their rookie deal.

Brady single-handedly skews that stat by being 4 of the 8.

Good one!

But just for fun:

Runner-up QBs
2014 - Manning
2015 - Wilson
2016 - Newton
2017 - Ryan
2018 - Brady
2019 - Stafford
2020 - Garoppolo
2021 - Mahomes
2022 - Burrow
Post #: 5651
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2023 10:11:04 AM   
marty

Or one particular NFL game whose officiating is being questioned by outlets around the nation?

I tuned into 2 sports stations on my way to work, and they both were talking about the officiating.

They tend to focus on the calls, but fail to mention many of the important non calls also favored the same team. And the announcers always seem to call it "bad officiating", when it appears more to be BIASED officiating.

I am not complaining, I had no skin in the game, I am just pointing it out. I still believe the same winner was likely, the refs just seemed to make it more likely.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 5652
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2023 10:21:28 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

Good one!

But just for fun:

Runner-up QBs
2014 - Manning
2015 - Wilson
2016 - Newton
2017 - Ryan
2018 - Brady
2019 - Stafford
2020 - Garoppolo
2021 - Mahomes
2022 - Burrow

I find the percentage of the salary cap to be a more telling topic.
Post #: 5653
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2023 10:48:57 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

quote:

And Brady wasn’t ever/usually a salary cap hog based on what my understanding is.

This might help, but one would have to do a lot of slicing and dicing: https://overthecap.com/contract-history/quarterback

It seemed (without anything to back it up) he did NE right, especially considering he could have demanded the moon.

When your wife makes way more money than you, its easy to put the team "first".
Post #: 5654
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2023 11:13:50 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And Brady wasn’t ever/usually a salary cap hog based on what my understanding is.

This might help, but one would have to do a lot of slicing and dicing: https://overthecap.com/contract-history/quarterback

It seemed (without anything to back it up) he did NE right, especially considering he could have demanded the moon.

It's a shame to think that's what it takes for someone to cut a little slack for the greater good. I'm still flabergasted to this day how rare it is that someone can see the difference between the first million, the second million, the third million, and the 40th+ million. I did a college paper a few semesters ago on the link between happiness and wealth. The wealthy are as miserable as the poor, for the most part. A person who isn't content with 10 million won't be content with 100 million. A person making $75k per year was statistically the happiest person in USA. Barring a few outliers, a person who can view the difference in value between the first million and the hundreth million will seldom chase the 100th million because they know there's no benefit to their happiness. Yet, nearly every last immoral shit bag will chase that 100th million and when they achieve it they'll chase 200 then 400 then 2 billion... and they'll never be happy... and they'll sell their soul and all their morals and integrity chasing it.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 5655
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2023 11:29:24 AM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Are you saying Kirk (or any other qb) can't make ends meet because the wife isn't a super model?

It has a lot more to do with ego (and possibly greed).

Brady took below market value because he has an insane drive to win.
Very few guys will risk taking a below market contract to enhance their chance to win.
Post #: 5656
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2023 11:40:35 AM   
marty

David, that is interesting, I read something similar awhile back.

The only thing is, with inflation, I think the 75k, needs to be more around 125k.

In many places, it would be hard to make ends meet with 75k, if you're the only breadwinner, and had a kid or two.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 5657
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2023 11:53:18 AM   
Phil Riewer

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
1m
The NFL informed teams today that the 2023 salary cap will be a record $224.8 million per club, sources tell me and
@RapSheet

That’s up from $208.2 million in 2022, $182.5M in 2021 (COVID adjustment), 198.2M in 2020 and $188.2M in 2019.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 5658
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2023 1:07:43 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
1m
The NFL informed teams today that the 2023 salary cap will be a record $224.8 million per club, sources tell me and
@RapSheet

That’s up from $208.2 million in 2022, $182.5M in 2021 (COVID adjustment), 198.2M in 2020 and $188.2M in 2019.

So we're now 6ml over vs 24?

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 5659
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2023 1:20:10 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
1m
@RapSheet

I don't think so. I think spotrac and OTC were previously using their best guess at the new cap number and I think their guess was only $200k off. As I understand it, we remain 20-somthing million over the cap for 2023.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 5660
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2023 1:34:41 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's a shame to think that's what it takes for someone to cut a little slack for the greater good. I'm still flabergasted to this day how rare it is that someone can see the difference between the first million, the second million, the third million, and the 40th+ million. I did a college paper a few semesters ago on the link between happiness and wealth. The wealthy are as miserable as the poor, for the most part. A person who isn't content with 10 million won't be content with 100 million. A person making $75k per year was statistically the happiest person in USA. Barring a few outliers, a person who can view the difference in value between the first million and the hundreth million will seldom chase the 100th million because they know there's no benefit to their happiness. Yet, nearly every last immoral shit bag will chase that 100th million and when they achieve it they'll chase 200 then 400 then 2 billion... and they'll never be happy... and they'll sell their soul and all their morals and integrity chasing it.

Very good post. I'm think the same on this. A certain amount of greed is good for motivation, but at some point, enough is enough.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 5661
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2023 2:03:18 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
1m
@RapSheet

Spottrac shows our cap at 225.2m with us at -21m, so at 224.8 we should be slightly worse around -21.5m.
Overthecap shows contracts around 246m with us at -23m, implying the cap they use is 223m. So at 224.8m our new number would be around -21.2m.

Basically, our cap situation still sucks at ~ 21 million over. We have to be zeroed out by March 17. Brzez is quite the partner WRT stashing cap under mattresses, in drainpipes, and holes in the backyard. Trouble is, the NFL has those darn accountants and rules.
Post #: 5662
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2023 2:06:46 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If seeing the difference is so rare then isn't the conclusion that it's the norm, dare I say human nature, for people to keep chasing more millions?
Post #: 5663
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2023 3:30:18 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If seeing the difference is so rare then isn't the conclusion that it's the norm, dare I say human nature, for people to keep chasing more millions?

Primitive human nature I suppose, but not evolved to fit the current environment.

Post #: 5664
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2023 8:51:29 PM   
Bill Jandro

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1620032922861604867?s=20&t=fu2tgU80forB-RvWcWZKCg

Post #: 5665
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2023 10:17:55 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1620032922861604867?s=20&t=fu2tgU80forB-RvWcWZKCg

Boo ****ing hoo…

State Farm has billions of$ in unpaid benefits as “reserve assets..”

Who’s the face of thier sponsorship?

Discount double check anyone?

The NFL is run by billionaires , for billionaires making billions of dollars a year with an antitrust exclusion..

Why are people surprised that KC “managed” to beat A team from nowhere Ohio?

Philly will cripple Mahomes

Andy Reid may need a D-cell proof helmet at the Super Bowl

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 1/30/2023 10:19:38 PM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 5666
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2023 8:12:19 AM   
Bill Jandro

Brock Purdy MRI revealed a torn UCL. Out a minimum of 6 months. Worst case scenario is reconstructive surgery-AKA Tommy John- which would be a one year recovery.

This could open the door for a Cousins trade if the Niners aren't sold on Lance being the answer. Being their window is open "now" this could have legs.

Post #: 5667
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2023 8:39:05 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

Boo ****ing hoo…

State Farm has billions of$ in unpaid benefits as “reserve assets..”

Who’s the face of thier sponsorship?

Discount double check anyone?

The NFL is run by billionaires , for billionaires making billions of dollars a year with an antitrust exclusion..

Why are people surprised that KC “managed” to beat A team from nowhere Ohio?

Philly will cripple Mahomes

Andy Reid may need a D-cell proof helmet at the Super Bowl

ha ha, I spent a day trying to figure out what you were talking about then I opened the link.

For about 1/250th of a second I was like are you kidding me. ;)
Post #: 5668
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2023 8:48:32 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

Brock Purdy MRI revealed a torn UCL. Out a minimum of 6 months. Worst case scenario is reconstructive surgery-AKA Tommy John- which would be a one year recovery.

This could open the door for a Cousins trade if the Niners aren't sold on Lance being the answer. Being their window is open "now" this could have legs.

Chris Mortensen

@mortreport
·
16h
Jake Delhomme had the Tommy John surgery in 2007 and six months later he said his arm was "better than ever." https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1620181911711928320

- that's been the case in baseball, too, for some, correct?

- I hope so, my ISU brothers and sisters were really enjoying the ride
Post #: 5669
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2023 9:41:45 AM   
Phil Riewer

SF has a defense ready and they will be tired of injuries to QBs....now could be the time.

Post #: 5670
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2023 9:56:27 AM   
David F.

A Cousins trade to San Fran is the best possible scenario for literally everyone. San Fran offers everything that some feel Kirk didn't have here (even though he had them here). San Fran has an elite defense, dynamic playmakers on offense, experienced coaching and a good O-line. It should be the easiest slam dunk of a Super Bowl win in history. We dumb fools that never believed in Kirk will have to sit by and watch and curse the day we let him get away.

Post #: 5671
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2023 10:06:25 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

A Cousins trade to San Fran is the best possible scenario for literally everyone. San Fran offers everything that some feel Kirk didn't have here (even though he had them here). San Fran has an elite defense, dynamic playmakers on offense, experienced coaching and a good O-line. It should be the easiest slam dunk of a Super Bowl win in history. We dumb fools that never believed in Kirk will have to sit by and watch and curse the day we let him get away.

That'd be a hoot! ;/
Post #: 5672
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2023 10:28:35 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

That'd be a hoot! ;/

Right now the GM and Coach of SF did everything correctly. They had 3 QB depth (Kind of lucked into Purdy now out most likely for 2023), Defense, Offense, made a mid season trade for a star RB.

2nd best roster in the NFL next to the Eagles. They have to feel shell shocked; maybe enough to trade for Kirk.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/31/2023 10:54:43 AM >

Post #: 5673
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2023 10:45:35 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Who knows what he was laughing about but the site of Jimmy G, sitting on the bench in civies, yucking it up in the 2nd half was pretty poetic.
Post #: 5674
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2023 10:57:03 AM   
ronhextall

My guess is, Brady would sign for 49ers for far less money than Cousins is owed.
Post #: 5675
Page:   <<   < prev  225 226 [227] 228 229   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  225 226 [227] 228 229   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode