Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  231 232 [233] 234 235   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 8:15:01 AM  2 votes
Bill Johanesen

Potential roster additions, pick two:

Cheap
Good
Available
Post #: 5801
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 8:37:02 AM   
Tom Sykes

Since Flores started out in Belichick’s scouting dept, long ago but still, maybe he can curb Kwesi’s defensive draft urges a bit.
Post #: 5802
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 8:52:01 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Cheap
Good
Available

I’m sure there’ll be some Johnny Mundt-ing on the defensive side.

Which falls beneath FA labels. recyclables.
Post #: 5803
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 9:03:48 AM   
Ricky J

Miami, Flores built his Dolphins defenses on the man coverage schemes Belichick has long favored, though a Pro Football Focus study showed Miami's units under Flores had one of the league's most unique mixes of coverage. However his scheme takes shape in Minnesota, it could show some of the aggressiveness O'Connell called for toward the end of the 2022 season. Startribune

- can we count on not seeing the DBs line up 10 yards off on the majority of the snaps now?
Post #: 5804
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 11:04:01 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

Cheap
Good
Available

Absolutely. Figure we'll sign several minimum salary type FAs that 'have a connection' to KOC, Flores, or the Assistant TE Blocking Coordinator.
Post #: 5805
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 11:11:51 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheap
Good
Available

Absolutely. Figure we'll sign several minimum salary type FAs that 'have a connection' to KOC, Flores, or the Assistant TE Blocking Coordinator.

Amazing though how fodder such as Shelley, Tonga, and Blacklock were equal to the supposed higher paid guys. I like to get a bunch of hungry guys that will work. That is what Belichek was always good at....he could replace any veteran (on defense) with your cheap, good, available.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 2/7/2023 11:22:41 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 5806
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 1:08:40 PM   
Bill Jandro

Agree. Just cut the dead weight already.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 5807
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 1:26:31 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Agree. Just cut the dead weight already.

Assuming they do make cuts, guess they want to at least give the appearance of outward respect. And some of those players deserve it.

The league insiders know the appropriate times to release certain players. And you have to give the new DC some evaluation time. Still, I'd like to hear they released such and such early in order to give them more opportunity in the FA market.
Post #: 5808
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 1:34:18 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Waiting to see whether the first news is they are negotiating contract restructures or there are outright releases.

The former extends the timeline of mediocrity and reflects a franchise unwilling to try to compete at the highest level. No changes except the contracts of JJ and Darrisaw loom ever closer.
Post #: 5809
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 2:12:25 PM   
Ricky J

Does a potential one-and-done DC "cut the dead weight" if it's as many say for the betterment of the team long term or does he decide to do what he can with many of what he has in place with possibly a better scheme, style, etc and get more out of it now as a opposed to later. And, how much of it is actually his choice who comes and who goes?

What happens going forward is interesting indeed.

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 2/7/2023 2:14:13 PM >
Post #: 5810
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 2:35:48 PM   
Murph

No more prevent defense for four quarters without adjustments.

Love the hire!

Donatell was one of the worst coordinators this franchise has ever had, maybe the worst, imo.

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 5811
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 2:38:58 PM   
marty

I wouldn't stick with the idea that Flores is a one year one and done.

IF there's any merit to there being racism and a reluctance to hire Blacks for head coaching positions, a better chance Flores is around awhile.

Flores bringing up the lawsuit may also make some more teams reluctant to hire him as a head coach, for fear that he is 'trouble'.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 5812
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 2:42:19 PM   
marty

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 5813
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 3:27:09 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Marty=Conspiracies....lol

Post #: 5814
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 3:29:11 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

IF there's any merit to there being racism and a reluctance to hire Blacks for head coaching positions, a better chance Flores is around awhile.

Flores bringing up the lawsuit may also make some more teams reluctant to hire him as a head coach, for fear that he is 'trouble'.

My guess it will take 2 or 3 years to make that turd of a defense look good enough for somebody to Covet the DC.
Post #: 5815
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 3:35:38 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

My guess it will take 2 or 3 years to make that turd of a defense look good enough for somebody to Covet the DC.

It hinges on how healthy the Cine, Evans, Dantzler are and the LB that didn't get playing time....I think there are more pieces than what it seems....you just have to integrate youth and speed.

Post #: 5816
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 5:11:15 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

It hinges on how healthy the Cine, Evans, Dantzler are and the LB that didn't get playing time....I think there are more pieces than what it seems....you just have to integrate youth and speed.

No, it hinges on whether Cine, Evans (and Booth) are any damn good. And yes, Evans and Dantzler also didn't play for personal reasons plus injuries. Asamoah probably plays by default.

There are no pieces per se, just a bunch of hope. Shelley would be my priority lol.
Post #: 5817
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 5:21:52 PM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

Why does it feel like Cousins will get a 1 year extension and we push our chips in and try a get a championship within the next 2 years. Scrap it all if we fail...

Might need a new GM at that point if we fail.
Post #: 5818
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 5:26:00 PM   
marty

I think Ron is right that it will likely be 2 years before the defense looks decent, even with a more aggressive scheme.

I hope KOC gets a chance to work with a good, young QB at some point, while he is in Minnesota. Cousins is delaying that.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 5819
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 6:18:11 PM  1 votes
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

quote:

Why does it feel like Cousins will get a 1 year extension and we push our chips in and try a get a championship within the next 2 years. Scrap it all if we fail...

I think it's likely.

Some kind of 1-2 year extension that frees up some money this year.
Post #: 5820
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 7:00:24 PM   
JC2022

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheap
Good
Available

Amazing though how fodder such as Shelley, Tonga, and Blacklock were equal to the supposed higher paid guys. I like to get a bunch of hungry guys that will work. That is what Belichek was always good at....he could replace any veteran (on defense) with your cheap, good, available.

Count me in the group who wants young, hungry guys

They are more work to coach as they often make mistakes

But once they learn you have a better player for less money
Post #: 5821
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 7:00:59 PM   
JC2022

quote:

quote:

quote:

That would be sad

No more money to Cousins
Post #: 5822
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 7:23:08 PM   
Todd M

Sad I agree.

Cousins has made a ton and not delivered.

To me anything in the 40 mil range should be tied to a SB appearance. 45 for a win. You don't get 40 plus for one and done checkdowns.
Post #: 5823
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 7:55:05 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think it's likely.

Some kind of 1-2 year extension that frees up some money this year.

I can see an additional year also. As I've posted, it would be hard for me to stomach ...

Since we didn’t do anything to improve the QB position long-term last offseason ... and resources are stretched wafer thin this offseason ...
our pubescent regime may put off their big boy pants / tough decisions for another year.

I sure hope not.
Post #: 5824
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2023 8:19:43 PM   
Tom Sykes

Actually, holding onto Mannion Mond as long as they did may have hurt us more than the one year KC extension ... IF that meant putting off drafting trading signing a young guy(s) at the outset to develop. Who knows ... I can't understand any ownership, GM, HC , OC getting a new position with a new team and NOT immediately putting their stamp on the QB position with 'their guy' ... some how some way ... Nick Mullens a week or two before the season filled a void but that's it.

We'll see what happens in the next few weeks but it feels like our franchise is still being outflanked by Cousins and his agent.

Its a big test for KAM and KOC – if they put too much stock in the 13 by the skin of our teeth wins and 4 exterminations record over NOT having a good team heading into the playoffs ... extending Cousins again would be evidence of that ...

their days are already numbered.
Post #: 5825
Page:   <<   < prev  231 232 [233] 234 235   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  231 232 [233] 234 235   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode