Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  233 234 [235] 236 237   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/9/2023 7:45:42 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Star Tribune Sports
@StribSports
·
1h
Two things can be true at the same time: Kirk Cousins is a good quarterback who can help the #Vikings win, and Cousins is a QB very unlikely to help the Vikings reach the #SuperBowl. Do you agree or disagree with @RandBall?

---
I saw that tweet on Twitter. I didn't even look close enough to see what they wanted, clicks, audience for Randball, etc. didn't matter.

With all the get rid of Cousins talk on here I couldn't help it that this stupid tweet caught my eye and made me want to respond.

me: How likely would it of been to get to the SB this year - w/ Cousins - if we had a middle of the road D and not the worst D in the NFL?

me again: likely

Well thats a shocker.

Only a pure Cousins apologist wants to wait for a defense to come along and help Cousins be more successful. Forget about improvement at both defense and QB.

A middle of the road D with a middle of the road QB wont get there.

The two seasons that Kirk had a top-10 defense here in MN didn't prove very likley to reach the SB either. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/index.htm

13 wins and the worst def in foootball
I think I'd suck to hate like you guys do
Anyway, he'll be back; enjoy! - ha
Post #: 5851
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/9/2023 10:11:17 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Star Tribune Sports
@StribSports
·
1h
Two things can be true at the same time: Kirk Cousins is a good quarterback who can help the #Vikings win, and Cousins is a QB very unlikely to help the Vikings reach the #SuperBowl. Do you agree or disagree with @RandBall?

---
I saw that tweet on Twitter. I didn't even look close enough to see what they wanted, clicks, audience for Randball, etc. didn't matter.

With all the get rid of Cousins talk on here I couldn't help it that this stupid tweet caught my eye and made me want to respond.

me: How likely would it of been to get to the SB this year - w/ Cousins - if we had a middle of the road D and not the worst D in the NFL?

Well thats a shocker.

Only a pure Cousins apologist wants to wait for a defense to come along and help Cousins be more successful. Forget about improvement at both defense and QB.

The two seasons that Kirk had a top-10 defense here in MN didn't prove very likley to reach the SB either. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/index.htm

Saying it'd suck to hate like you guys do is, LOL, pretty hateful. And oblivious.

So defensive.

I've made it clear what I like and don't like about Cousins. No hate there, just disappointment.
Post #: 5852
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2023 7:36:47 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Star Tribune Sports
@StribSports
·
1h

---

Well thats a shocker.

Saying it'd suck to hate like you guys do is, LOL, pretty hateful. And oblivious.

So defensive.

I've made it clear what I like and don't like about Cousins. No hate there, just disappointment.

Really? As far as hateful comments on TalkVikes, that doesn't even register.
Post #: 5853
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2023 7:47:31 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Star Tribune Sports
@StribSports
·
1h

---

Well thats a shocker.

So defensive.

Its weird...I have seen less of a qb in Teddy, Case, Ponder, and others.....it seems more than his qb play at play.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 5854
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2023 8:57:24 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

Star Tribune Sports
@StribSports
·
1h

---

Well thats a shocker.

There you go with those pesky facts once again. 5th and 9th in points allowed, wow!

Cousins could have 21 All-Pros surrounding him, an All-Pro kicker, and Ray Guy II but the apologists would say the long snapper held the team back.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 2/10/2023 9:12:49 AM >
Post #: 5855
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2023 9:05:07 AM   
twinsfan

Somebody explain to me...

How does Mahomes win MVP, but Jefferson wins Offensive Player of the Year?

They are both offensive players.

It makes zero sense.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 5856
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2023 9:10:52 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Star Tribune Sports
@StribSports
·
1h

---

Well thats a shocker.

Go ahead and hang on to that 13 win fluke season as the pinnacle of your Kirk's great career. Maybe hang up poster size pics of a "Wee, 13-4!" headline and a glossy of Kirk dancing in chains.

I however find it revolting to put man love of a never-was, stat-driven, "He threw short of the sticks", cap-sucking QB over the needs of the team.
Post #: 5857
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2023 9:17:52 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Star Tribune Sports
@StribSports
·
1h

---

Well thats a shocker.

So defensive.

When Cousins was being vilified nationally the morning after "3rd and 8 and he threw short", the low percentage of posters defending Cousins to high heaven with a series of excuses that would have made Troy Williamson proud told me all I needed to know.
Post #: 5858
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2023 9:19:41 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Star Tribune Sports
@StribSports
·
1h

---

Well thats a shocker.

So defensive.

Yeah yeah, I know. Lot of unrealistic feelings for Kirk, though, in the football world. Ive always thought he don't look cool so that was strike one.

Really shouldn't matter to me but that post did catch my attention. If only ... It would of been cool to find out how it would of played out if only we had a avg defense. Going to be hard to duplicate the magic we witnessed this last season
Post #: 5859
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2023 9:28:23 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Star Tribune Sports
@StribSports
·
1h

---

Well thats a shocker.

So defensive.

Its weird...I have seen less of a qb in Teddy, Case, Ponder, and others.....it seems more than his qb play at play.

There is no doubt people like Cousins for his squeaky clean, religious, non-COVID stances. As long as he delivered instead of folding like a cheap suit, I wouldn't care if he was Jesus or Muhammad or whoever returning to earth.

HOWEVER, you need to pick some better QBs.

Case won as many playoff games in Minnesota in a single season than Cousins has won in five seasons.
Nobody could stand Ponder, but the ire was more towards Spielman for picking him so high.
Teddy was the guy with promise and hope, but it was becoming apparent he wasn't going to be the man.

And none of them sucked up the salary cap like Cousins.
Post #: 5860
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2023 10:38:26 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Star Tribune Sports
@StribSports
·
1h

---

Well thats a shocker.

So defensive.

There is no doubt people like Cousins for his squeaky clean, religious, non-COVID stances. As long as he delivered instead of folding like a cheap suit, I wouldn't care if he was Jesus or Muhammad or whoever returning to earth.

Case won as many playoff games in Minnesota in a single season than Cousins has won in five seasons.
Nobody could stand Ponder, but the ire was more towards Spielman for picking him so high.
Teddy was the guy with promise and hope, but it was becoming apparent he wasn't going to be the man.

It isn't necessarily you Bill.
I think more were against him for those things than for him. Amazing that some think he was preaching more than throwing a football.
Kirk has done more than Tommy who people adore...career record 54-56
Wade Wilson 36-33.

Post #: 5861
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2023 11:33:04 AM  1 votes
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Star Tribune Sports
@StribSports
·
1h

---

Well thats a shocker.

So defensive.

I agr

I think more were against him for those things than for him. Amazing that some think he was preaching more than throwing a football.
Wade Wilson 36-33.

I don't think Cousins was ever one to be on the soap box constantly. Religion and Covid were brought up by reporters or whoever and he would give an honest answer.

But, in the modern NFL, you need a mobile QB who is preferably on a rookie contract.

We need to go all in on finding that guy.
Post #: 5862
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2023 11:52:17 AM   
Phil Riewer

The last one we had was probably Dante (QB on a rookie contract).....maybe we do have to start treating our QBs like RB and trade them going into their 2nd contract.
The best thing about Mahomes, Burrow, and a lesser extent D Jones/Lawrence is that they only run when absolutely necessary---can't say the same about Fields, Hurts, and Lamar.

Post #: 5863
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2023 11:53:25 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Star Tribune Sports
@StribSports
·
1h

---

Well thats a shocker.

So defensive.

I agr

Wade Wilson 36-33.

I don't think Cousins was ever one to be on the soap box constantly. Religion and Covid were brought up by reporters or whoever and he would give an honest answer.

But, in the modern NFL, you need a mobile QB who is preferably on a rookie contract.

When you cut through all the noise, that is the bottomline.
Post #: 5864
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2023 12:56:40 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Everyone wants that guy. And there seems to be a lot of hit and miss finding him - but that doesn't mean we don't look, though
Post #: 5865
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2023 3:10:06 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Star Tribune Sports
@StribSports
·
1h

---

Well thats a shocker.

So defensive.

In fairness, pointing out the two seasons we had stellar defense in response to 'what could kirk do if he had a middle of the road defense' is not hateful in any sense.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 5866
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2023 4:25:03 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Star Tribune Sports
@StribSports
·
1h

---

Well thats a shocker.

So defensive.

Well then, it must suck to be like you. In a purely TalkVikes sense.
Post #: 5867
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2023 4:38:01 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Star Tribune Sports
@StribSports
·
1h

---

Well thats a shocker.

So defensive.

None of those guys bent the franchise over on contracts. Which directly influenced the rest of the roster.

None of those guys were held to the standard that his contracts were supposed to produce.

Part of the weird dynamic that you are talking about IMO is, none of those guys were as productive and flashed the potential that Cousins has teased over his career ... only to come up so short in big games.

GZUZ he has started 5 seasons (after starting 3 for another team) ... how many more seasons are we going to tread water with this guy?

My legs are getting heavy.
Post #: 5868
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2023 4:46:09 PM  1 votes
thebigo

quote:

The last one we had was probably Dante (QB on a rookie contract).....maybe we do have to start treating our QBs like RB and trade them going into their 2nd contract.

Maybe so, but have we had one of those QBs on their rookie contract that had any trade value in, say the last 15 years? Or, do we expect to get one?

< Message edited by thebigo -- 2/10/2023 4:47:19 PM >
Post #: 5869
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2023 4:48:23 PM   
Tom Sykes

When I hear the arguments ... if only the OL were a little better ... if only the defense were a little better ... if only Cook hadn't fumbled or Joseph missed that kick etc etc

How about, if only KC had a little more spontaneity or athleticism or instinct to go along with the big time arm and the big time work habits and the all world durability.

Its a shame.
Post #: 5870
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2023 5:02:41 PM  2 votes
osure

I don't understand the KC bashing everyday. Is he a top 5 QB no Is he bottom 5 QB No. Do we really think he was the biggest issue last yr?

If we got rid of him today who is are QB that talkvikes doesn't Bash next yr?

I do think they need to take some swings at backup QB next yr and hope in the next 2 yrs we could have a new starter but last yr I watched a lot of football teams that the QB looked ugly

My question is how do we put a better team on the field next yr with the hand we are dealt not the one we want?
Post #: 5871
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2023 5:10:42 PM  1 votes
joejitsu

We all know the weak links on the team are our oline and defense. If those two units were even at an average level, we’d be in the game on Sunday. Get better there and we’re going places.
Post #: 5872
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2023 7:17:37 PM  1 votes
stfrank

What do the top teams in the league have that the Vikings don't have?
Where are games won? In the trenches.... Our O-line and D-line get pushed around and abused every Sunday. Until that problem is resolved we have no chance of even sniffing a Super Bowl.
Post #: 5873
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2023 7:29:11 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Star Tribune Sports
@StribSports
·
1h

---

Well thats a shocker.

So defensive.

Well then, it must suck to be like you. In a purely TalkVikes sense.

Oh geez, come on. Did you ever deal with Danimal in his 1,000 pound bomb poster prime (actually he still is in his prime)? Or Rob Voto who would cut you to a thousand pieces? If you came in with weak shit you were going to get an unabashed massacre!

Damn those were good times!

This stuff doesn't even register... in a historically pure TalkVike sense.
Post #: 5874
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2023 7:32:08 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Maybe so, but have we had one of those QBs on their rookie contract that had any trade value in, say the last 15 years? Or, do we expect to get one?

Weak to reply to a non-starter.
Post #: 5875
Page:   <<   < prev  233 234 [235] 236 237   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  233 234 [235] 236 237   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode