Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 8:53:37 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

last season, over the first three quarters, the bills and eagles led the league with a +150 point differential... he vikings were 3rd worst at -87....

How did vikes do in the fourth quarter?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_single_season.htm

Interesting that 3 of the top 4 performers/teams (vikes, raiders, lions) lost in their first playoff game that year.

Again … playoffs are a different season. Digging yourself out of holes for a living has good entertainment value but won’t get you very far when it really counts.
Post #: 401
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 9:15:03 AM   
Tom Sykes

nfl.com is reporting that Cook is being let go Friday.
Post #: 402
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 9:36:58 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Kwesi has done ok this year with finally getting rid of bloated contracts, although right now Cousins' $28.5 million dead cap and Harrison Smith's $19 million cap hit stand out in 2024. Also not a fan of how over half of Davenport's salary is stashed in void year. All in all, he got rid of most of the likely suspects.
Post #: 403
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 9:49:17 AM   
ronhextall

Shocked anybody would even consider a trade for Cook.

It’s a disposable position. I give the position zero value. Find me a guy willing to run through a brick wall because his career depends on it. Run him into ground and move on.

Never ever pay a runningback big money. Never.

It’s fools gold.

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 6/8/2023 10:15:03 AM >
Post #: 404
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 9:53:28 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

Why wait until Friday?

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 405
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 10:17:54 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Why wait until Friday?

Its like the cheese with licorice meat sticks hanging by the cash register … one last chance to suck in impulse shoppers.
Post #: 406
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 11:01:20 AM   
marty

I think Cook will be missed more than some think. He was a home run threat that could catch the ball.

I hope the young guys are ready.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 407
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 11:11:34 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I think Cook will be missed more than some think. He was a home run threat that could catch the ball.

Some said the same about AP and we didn't miss a beat with Cook....rather be on the right side of it than over-paying a RB.

It is more of a passing offense; changing trend since 2007.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 408
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 11:13:34 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Cook's $14M cap hit will not be missed.
Post #: 409
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 11:13:58 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

Please don't chew while you're posting. It's not polite.
Post #: 410
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 12:24:21 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

What are you going to miss? His diminishing ypc? His high pay? Face it he's on the wrong side of his career.

Running back is a brutal position that you should never overpay for. Time to find some young guys.
Post #: 411
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 1:16:48 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

I've watched the last quarter+ of the bill's game several times recently, and cook looked great in that comeback...but it's time to let him go....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 412
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 1:51:05 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

last season, over the first three quarters, the bills and eagles led the league with a +150 point differential... he vikings were 3rd worst at -87....

How did vikes do in the fourth quarter?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_single_season.htm

Interesting that 3 of the top 4 performers/teams (vikes, raiders, lions) lost in their first playoff game that year.

Again … playoffs are a different season. Digging yourself out of holes for a living has good entertainment value but won’t get you very far when it really counts.

Credit where credit is due: our defense ranked #10 in points allowed in the fourth quarter.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 413
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 2:24:05 PM   
Bill Jandro

Vikes need to pay Hunter. Edge is a premium position and our defense simply can't be w/o at least one good one. People forget the lean years before we traded for Jared Allen. We couldn't even get a wiff of a qb prior to that for years.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 414
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 2:51:13 PM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

What are you going to miss? His diminishing ypc? His high pay? Face it he's on the wrong side of his career.

Running back is a brutal position that you should never overpay for. Time to find some young guys.

I absolutely think it's the right move to let him go.
I hate investing in RB second contracts.

But his big runs made a huge impact in Buffalo/Miami/Indy games last year... pretty sure we don't win those with Mattison.

We'll see...
Post #: 415
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 2:52:48 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Vikes need to pay Hunter. Edge is a premium position and our defense simply can't be w/o at least one good one. People forget the lean years before we traded for Jared Allen. We couldn't even get a wiff of a qb prior to that for years.

- DE is a premium position, but he doesn't play DE.
- He is playing out of position (through no fault of his own).
- People may look at his salary by year, but it won't show an additional $11+ million buried in void years in 2024 & 2025 that he has collected.
- He was paid while he was injured.

As long as he is playing OLB in the 3-4, he is not worth premium dollars. I'd rather see him traded for a proven player or picks.

And the year before we signed Allen we were 8th in sacks.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 6/8/2023 3:01:50 PM >
Post #: 416
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 3:36:06 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

- People may look at his salary by year, but it won't show an additional $11+ million buried in void years in 2024 & 2025 that he has collected.

As long as he is playing OLB in the 3-4, he is not worth premium dollars. I'd rather see him traded for a proven player or picks.

=I think in todays NFL DE/Edge are valued equally.
-The 11ml buried was the team kicking it down the road no fault of Hunter's.
-All players get paid if they get injured.
-He was a top ten player at his position last season at OLB.

Post #: 417
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 3:50:40 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Our new DC is big on pressure by moving guys around, blitzing, and zone blitzing. Zimmer 4-3 was built for Hunter.....a trade wouldn't surprise me.

Post #: 418
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 4:01:56 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Our new DC is big on pressure by moving guys around, blitzing, and zone blitzing. Zimmer 4-3 was built for Hunter.....a trade wouldn't surprise me.

I'm just going on the record saying it's a bad idea.

Losing both Z and Hunter will cripple our pass rush. I don't care what Flores does you still need guys that can get home.

If Hunter is traded we will have lost our 3 best players on our front 7 and add in the loss of EK too. On a 31st ranked defense. Flores is going to need to be able to walk on water to make this talentless bunch of rag tags look even serviceable.

< Message edited by Bill Jandro -- 6/8/2023 4:03:08 PM >

Post #: 419
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 4:03:46 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm just going on the record saying it's a bad idea.

Losing both Z and Hunter will cripple our pass rush. I don't care what Flores does you still need guys that can get home.

If Hunter is traded we will have lost our 3 best players on our front 7 and add in the loss of EK too. Flores is going to need to be able to walk on water to make this talentless bunch of rag tags look even serviceable.

When they are the top 3 of a 30th ranked defense and Dalvin (Thomlinson) was out over half the year, Hunter wasn't the same in a 3-4 defense, and the ZED wasn't the same the second half....

Flores runs a 3-4 mostly and as mentioned by others it isn't Hunter's strong suit.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 6/8/2023 4:24:11 PM >

Post #: 420
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 4:04:17 PM   
Phil Riewer

Same age as Dalvin; Zeke Elliot and Kareem Hunt.

Both available.

Post #: 421
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 4:55:58 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

=I think in todays NFL DE/Edge are valued equally. Guess my point is Hunter at DE > Hunter at Edge and in coverage.
-The 11ml buried was the team kicking it down the road no fault of Hunter's. Never said it was. Just saying his salary may look lower than it is.
-All players get paid if they get injured.
-He was a top ten player at his position last season at OLB. Based on what? Edge players cover, he sucks at it (again, not his fault).

Pay the 2018 pre-prime Hunter big bucks? Absolutely. While he signed the extension, a case can be made the Vikings took advantage of that although he suffered two major injuries, and with the neck they may have been/are cautious.

Pay the 2023 in/post-prime Hunter the same big bucks? Nope. I'd rather have a proven player or pick(s) than sign a soon to be 29 year old former pure DE playing out of position with a fused neck.

We need assets to rebuild, not to give a good % to a player who will be playing out the string while we rebuild.
Post #: 422
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 5:00:25 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Both available.

Mattison will be our starting RB.
Post #: 423
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 5:04:22 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Both available.

Mattison will be our starting RB.

True; Neither are starters any more---pay as a backup a little over minimum. Mattison and Ty have injury history.

Zeke had 12 Red Zone TDs last year and was very good in short yardage---just another way to show other teams choose to release a soon to be 28 year old.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 6/8/2023 5:06:07 PM >

Post #: 424
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2023 5:18:00 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Part of any argument for keeping good players is whether we can really compete (ignoring 44% of the league makes the playoffs). I surmise we are rebuilding, regardless of the idiotic 'competitive rebuild' mantra, mostly on defense.

There are hopes in the secondary. But I see trash and journeymen in the front seven. It will take a couple of years for an influx of productive bodies - assuming they pan out which a large sample of NFL history suggests will not happen. By then Hunter will be a drag on the cap... unless he signs another questionable, team friendly contract.
Post #: 425
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode