Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  170 171 [172] 173 174   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 8:01:49 PM   
jbusse

Viking kickers and field goal percentage as a Viking:

2006-2011 Ryan Longwell 135/157 = 86.0%
2012-2016 Blair Walsh 133/158 = 84.2%
2016-2017 Kai Forbath 47/53 = 88.7%
2018-2018 Daniel Carlson 1/4 = 25.0%
2018-2020 Dan Bailey 63/79 = 79.7%
2021-2023 Greg Joseph 69/85 = 81.2%
Post #: 4276
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 8:09:31 PM   
Chris Olson

I was really against trading for a QB...but we got Dobbs so cheap it hardly matters...

I think he has done a reasonably good job as a solid back up that he might be a perfect guy to bring in

I was really not liking the idea of trading for Winston, plus he was probably too expensive...

I like that Hall is starting this week and Dobbs can spell him if he falls flat, but clearly Mullens isn't ready so we needed something and Dobbs is a better option than McCoy or Wentz

I am fine with getting something for Cleveland, he was just not good enough

Also, I am intrigued that we kept Hunter...are we really going to get a deal done for him and for Jeff this offseason?

Who else is about to get paid?
Post #: 4277
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 8:57:10 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

So at the end of the day it was Cleveland for Dobbs and a 7th. Good job Kwesi.

Yes the OL is thinner, but Cleveland is a cement footed turnstile so what's the difference. He was replaced by some unemployed guy.

Never heard as much hate for Ezra Cleveland as I've heard today.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 4278
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 8:59:35 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

I was really against trading for a QB...but we got Dobbs so cheap it hardly matters...

I think he has done a reasonably good job as a solid back up that he might be a perfect guy to bring in

I was really not liking the idea of trading for Winston, plus he was probably too expensive...

I like that Hall is starting this week and Dobbs can spell him if he falls flat, but clearly Mullens isn't ready so we needed something and Dobbs is a better option than McCoy or Wentz

I am fine with getting something for Cleveland, he was just not good enough

Also, I am intrigued that we kept Hunter...are we really going to get a deal done for him and for Jeff this offseason?

Who else is about to get paid?

We now have the 32nd best QB situation in the league.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 4279
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 9:22:32 PM   
marty

Dobbs ? I thought he was a Packer WR.

J/K.

I would rather have an unknown, than any of the QBs that had been listed, and Dobbs is mostly an unknown to me.

The only thing I don't like is Dobbs has 8 TDs and 5 INTs, that's too many INTs, but he likely didn't have any WRs as good as JJ or Addison in Arizona, along with Hock, and am guessing Minnesota's OL is better.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 4280
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 9:22:53 PM   
Chris Olson

not saying we have a good QB sitch...I just didn't want to spend for a QB this year

My eyes are on the draft and Kirk's early exit makes it more likely we are going to be in the top of the draft...

but it also means we can respectfully and easily escape the trap of resigning him

and the Dobbs pick up allows us to pretend we aren't tanking
Post #: 4281
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 9:23:06 PM   
marty

David F., what do you think of Dobbs ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 4282
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 9:43:03 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

He´s going to do just fine. We´ll win more games than we lose with Dobbs and/or Hall. They won't be as polished working the offense (at first) as Saint Kirk was but they'll eventually catch up. Kirk was a master at attaining excellent stats. Stats don't equal wins necessarily. On that note, yards don't equal points which was another thing this team was really good at these first eight games. I expect to see less head-scratching moments like lining up under the right guard, throwing it backwards to running backs, not spiking the ball with the clock running after a first down, etc etc...

In short, we'll see inferior stats but more wins and more points. I'm excited to see how it unfolds. Bear in mind - it will look very unpolished right off the bat.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 4283
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 9:58:40 PM   
hagar

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Not great value for a 2020 2nd round pick...

Esp considering he was playing pretty good this year. At least according to PFF.

Again, I think this is a case where PFF falls on their faces.

Our line appears to have gotten much better the minute Ezra sat down.

That new guy Risner is better than Ezra.

Decent band from back in the day
Post #: 4284
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 3:35:47 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: hagar

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Esp considering he was playing pretty good this year. At least according to PFF.

He knows. Only reason he typed it.
Post #: 4285
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 3:55:07 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

rich eisen and his boys seem to love the dobbs pick up....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGwTMQGni4U

this is a good dobbs nfl highlight reel....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQYeH-zK0lY

this is the QB school - dobbs beats the cowboys - worth the watch....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOWexXIMS98

Look who catches this pass by Dobbs:

https://youtu.be/sQYeH-zK0lY?t=49

Briefly had high hopes for that guy.

I noticed that - hodges must have been bad locker room or attitude..."He was most recently a member of the Edmonton Elks of the Canadian Football League."

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 4286
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 7:14:30 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He's only about the 8th person to make that joke here.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 4287
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 7:20:19 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He's only about the 8th person to make that joke here.

Sounds about right.
Post #: 4288
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 7:21:17 AM   
Todd M

Minnesota @ Atlanta -5.5

Bet the farm. On us.
Post #: 4289
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 7:55:09 AM  1 votes
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

He´s going to do just fine. We´ll win more games than we lose with Dobbs and/or Hall. They won't be as polished working the offense (at first) as Saint Kirk was but they'll eventually catch up. Kirk was a master at attaining excellent stats. Stats don't equal wins necessarily. On that note, yards don't equal points which was another thing this team was really good at these first eight games. I expect to see less head-scratching moments like lining up under the right guard, throwing it backwards to running backs, not spiking the ball with the clock running after a first down, etc etc...

In short, we'll see inferior stats but more wins and more points. I'm excited to see how it unfolds. Bear in mind - it will look very unpolished right off the bat.

What's your basis for all of this? Dobb's 1-8 record as a starter? Dobbs never having played with any of his Vikings receivers? Maybe it's his complete lack of knowledge of the Vikings playbook that intrigues you. Hall has a whopping 4 NFL passes.

I'm so tired of the Kirk knows how to pad stats argument. If it's not that simple. You don't put up big numbers without being pretty good in the first place. Last year he put up enough points to overcome the worst defense in football and win 13 games.

Don't get me wrong. I'm completely ready to move on from the guy after that choke down check down with the playoff game on the line. I'm just saying the idea that the Vikings will do better offensively and win more with Dobbs or Hall is based on despising Cousins and not any evidence from Hall or Dobbs.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 4290
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 8:07:40 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Minnesota @ Atlanta -5.5

Bet the farm. On us.

Careful, Marty will unilaterally decide after the fact that was a bet, he took it even though he didn't, and will post incessantly you owe him six farms
Post #: 4291
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 8:18:43 AM  2 votes
Bill Johanesen

Cousins definitely went out on a high after his last game and a half. He's done here. But it won't be that simple for some.

There will be hope and speculation we will sign him this offseason.
After he signs elsewhere, there will be calls to trade for him.
After he retires there will be hope and 'rumors' he's coming back for a curtain call.

He left as one of the better QBs in franchise history, alas that isn't saying much for the franchise.
Post #: 4292
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 8:30:41 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

What's your basis for all of this?

That's a silly question
Post #: 4293
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 8:33:04 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Cousins definitely went out on a high after his last game and a half. He's done here. But it won't be that simple for some.

After he retires there will be hope and 'rumors' he's coming back for a curtain call.

He left as one of the better QBs in franchise history, alas that isn't saying much for the franchise.

How do you know he won't be back? The odds probably increased instead of decreased because he won't cost as much. It all depends on how Hall/Dobbs perform and what is available in the offseason.

A want doesn't make a high % guess.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 11/1/2023 8:34:16 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 4294
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 8:39:30 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Dobbs ? I thought he was a Packer WR.

J/K.

I would rather have an unknown, than any of the QBs that had been listed, and Dobbs is mostly an unknown to me.

The only thing I don't like is Dobbs has 8 TDs and 5 INTs, that's too many INTs, but he likely didn't have any WRs as good as JJ or Addison in Arizona, along with Hock, and am guessing Minnesota's OL is better.

Yes, Dobbs 1.9% interception percentage is not good. Can you imagine if it was 3.4% like the "talented" Jordan Love?

Not to mention they've both attempted a similar number of passes this year and Dobbs has a better QB rating.
Post #: 4295
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 8:40:37 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

How do you know he won't be back? The odds probably increased instead of decreased because he won't cost as much. It all depends on how Hall/Dobbs perform and what is available in the offseason.

Your honor, I rest my case.

Edit - OK Phil. To prevent you from yapping on and on that I can't possibly know that, it is pure, unadulterated speculation on an armchair GM opinion board. An opinion I chose to present as a fact even though everyone (except you I presume) knows one cannot factually predict such future possibilities. Happy? Ever read The Onion? You know, there are some people who read articles it publishes, actually take issue with the accuracy of the content, and, yes, even fire back a message to the authors.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 11/1/2023 9:22:36 AM >
Post #: 4296
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 9:28:11 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

quote:

Vikings might bring Cousins back on the cheap and draft the QBOTF. I think that's a win/win
Post #: 4297
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 9:33:37 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

What's your basis for all of this? Dobb's 1-8 record as a starter? Dobbs never having played with any of his Vikings receivers? Maybe it's his complete lack of knowledge of the Vikings playbook that intrigues you. Hall has a whopping 4 NFL passes.

I'm so tired of the Kirk knows how to pad stats argument. If it's not that simple. You don't put up big numbers without being pretty good in the first place. Last year he put up enough points to overcome the worst defense in football and win 13 games.

Don't get me wrong. I'm completely ready to move on from the guy after that choke down check down with the playoff game on the line. I'm just saying the idea that the Vikings will do better offensively and win more with Dobbs or Hall is based on despising Cousins and not any evidence from Hall or Dobbs.

Oh boy, where to begin... OK let's start with the 1-8 record. I don't give a hoot about his record with the Cardinals. I watched about a combined ten minutes of his footage and saw him navigate the pocket like a pro and step up and launch some damn bombs. That will translate to points for the Vikings. I am concerned about the fact that Dobbs and Hall are new and I addressed that in my post. Knowledge of the playbook doesn't bother me at all. Dobbs is a rocket scientist - like for real - he's done internships at NASA.

The fact that you're tired of the Kirk/stats argument is out of my control. Go ahead and be tired of it. And yes - you have to be pretty darn good to put up good stats. Kirk is a good QB. He's just not a stone cold killer when it comes to being competitive in football. And this is a bit persnickety but the Vikings were not the worst defesnse in football last season. They were bad, but not the worst. Also, I don't really care about the comeback wins - especially when we had no business being behind in the first place. Some of those comeback wins were like me finally crushing a day at work after procrastinating the prevoius two days. Catching up doesn't make me a hero.

Lastly, the beauty of this all is that we get to watch it play out.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 4298
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 9:34:27 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Your honor, I rest my case.

Edit - OK Phil. To prevent you from yapping on and on that I can't possibly know that, it is pure, unadulterated speculation on an armchair GM opinion board. An opinion I chose to present as a fact even though everyone (except you I presume) knows one cannot factually predict such future possibilities. Happy? Ever read The Onion? You know, there are some people who read articles it publishes, actually take issue with the accuracy of the content, and, yes, even fire back a message to the authors.

Weakest case ever Attorney Tank....again no matter what side you are on; the performance of Hall/Dobbs and what is available in the offseason/draft supersede a sans/stans want or case.

Post #: 4299
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 9:43:43 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh boy, where to begin... OK let's start with the 1-8 record. I don't give a hoot about his record with the Cardinals. I watched about a combined ten minutes of his footage and saw him navigate the pocket like a pro and step up and launch some damn bombs. That will translate to points for the Vikings. I am concerned about the fact that Dobbs and Hall are new and I addressed that in my post. Knowledge of the playbook doesn't bother me at all. Dobbs is a rocket scientist - like for real - he's done internships at NASA.
The fact that you're tired of the Kirk/stats argument is out of my control. Go ahead and be tired of it. And yes - you have to be pretty darn good to put up good stats. Kirk is a good QB. He's just not a stone cold killer when it comes to being competitive in football. And this is a bit persnickety but the Vikings were not the worst defesnse in football last season. They were bad, but not the worst. Also, I don't really care about the comeback wins - especially when we had no business being behind in the first place. Some of those comeback wins were like me finally crushing a day at work after procrastinating the prevoius two days. Catching up doesn't make me a hero.
Lastly, the beauty of this all is that we get to watch it play out.

We ended up 28th....we may have been the worst defense against the pass....and that doesn't take into effect how poor the defense was by year end and the first playoff game.....we were the only team in the playoffs with a bottom five defense.

Post #: 4300
Page:   <<   < prev  170 171 [172] 173 174   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  170 171 [172] 173 174   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode