Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  174 175 [176] 177 178   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 4:24:17 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M
What is Dobbs missing that’s seen him come and go on so many teams?

I was thinking the same thing...he seems better than the bottom 5 QBs to me (when I saw him play on Red Zone). I pulled up his career and he seems like a guy who hasn't really been given a chance and always a franchise QB on the team he is on.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 4376
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 4:39:14 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Phil actually stayed on track about the cap (even though it carried no value) for a single reply before predictably going off the rails.

You brought up the cap for your Sans Kirk and Tank philosophy...maybe you don't remember that part of your post? Cheap seats once again "it doesn't have to be Kirk" but we have been in qb hell forever. Maybe you want a bottom 5 qb passing to JJ and Addison?

In relative terms, you're scrounging for nickels. Those nickels won't help to sign Cousins.

(Geez, he's back like the weird neighbor who you can't get rid of)

OK, sounds good Phil! You're right, we were 1-2 weeks from Mannion being 1 of 2 QBs. Oh, yeah, once again to the cheap seats... how true! Yep, it doesn't have to be Kirk! Yeah... no... umm, I'll be away for about... forever.
Post #: 4377
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 4:48:40 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Ironic that Spielman's picks like JJ, Darrisaw, and O'Neill have been so good that their salaries will dictate the replacement GMs strategy at QB. Those QB scouts better still be working overtime!
Post #: 4378
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 4:52:09 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

Well ... I'm going to have to defend Phil, like I always do.

He may be right, Cousins' injury may actually improve the chances of KAM KOC resigning him in the offseason.

(although his 'logic' is way off ... surprisingly)

One – getting injured now may leave the regime fondly remembering Kirk's transcendent early season 4-4 performance (when they are scrambling for a new plan to stick to in Jan-March)

Two – the injury now certainly removes the chances for another Kirk-instigated wildcard game flub, which would be too fresh to dis-remember (when they are scrambling for a new plan to stick to in Jan-March)

Three – regardless of David Fs preposterous argument, we are staring at a nine game period of stinky under-developed back-up QB play ... which will certainly be fresh in the mind (when they are scrambling for a new plan to stick to in Jan-March)

Yup. come Jan-March, I see Kwesi and Kevin pining like a couple of dead parrots over Kirk's statistical highlights, as usual disregarding their low impact and poor timing when determining the outcome of games.

You think the Vikings organization is going to watch the next nine weeks and see QB play that isn´t as good as Cousins, yet generates about the same results in terms of wins and losses and playoffs, and will then decide that the best decision is to go back to the old QB? The one who gives you the exact same overall results but costs 30 times as much to pay? Never mind any glimpses of improvement that we might see out of Dobbs or Hall - you think the team will sit around the conference table and come up with the following reasoning: "Well, it was kind of a shit sandwich either way, so let's take the shit sandwich we know. The one that's expensive and can consistently be counted on to settle in to that beautiful mediocrity we've all come to love so much. QB-rich draft be damned. Let's run it back with Kirk."

I think, as Bill has pointed out, our cap variables leave absolutely no room for resigning Cousins even with a drastic shell game with contracts. But I’m not sure KOC is done trying to squeeze more out of Cousins. My skepticism isnt rational … how do you articulate another person’s goo-goo eyes? Again, I will believe we have moved on when I see it.

If Hall or Dobbs slam expectations - which would have nothing to do with your lame plug and play QB theory - and one or both show enough to invest more time in … that plus a top qb prospect in the next draft would be the best case scenario for the franchise.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 11/1/2023 4:54:56 PM >
Post #: 4379
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 4:56:24 PM   
David Levine

The Viking have announced that offensive lineman Chris Reed has been designated to return from the Non-Football Injury list and resume practicing with the team.

Reed signed with the Vikings in April of 2022 and appeared in seven games for the Vikings last season with one start at guard. He was placed on the Non-Football Injury list heading into Training Camp and has been unable to practice with the team until now. Reed’s return could be part of the reason that the Vikings felt comfortable with dealing Ezra Cleveland away at Tuesday’s trade deadline, sending him to Jacksonville.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2023/11/1/23942058/minnesota-vikings-joejuan-williams-practice-squad-chris-reed-return-nfi
Post #: 4380
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 5:02:08 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Cousins won’t even be able to walk with out an artificial protective device for at least 6 months…

He will become a UFA when the new league year starts in 2024..

I, obviously, DO NOT WANT HIM ON THIS TEAM.

I hope management and ownership can see what a waste of money it would be to even consider giving a 35 year old statute of a Qb any kind of contract, especially after having surgery on an Achilles Tendon.

It’s time to move on..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 4381
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 5:06:01 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Dobbs slamming expectations is a double-edged sword. Good to see, but then he'll be much more marketable in free agency. We won't be able to afford much for a starting QB let alone pay Dobbs legit backup salary in that scenario.

So if Dobbs does fantastic and Hall does ok, our QBs next year are 1st rounder, Hall, and the QB Meeting Room guy.

If all that is accurate... barring going undefeated where we clear the roster for him, it doesn't matter if he does great or is lousy. Either way, he will not be signed here. Doing pretty good puts things in the gray area.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 11/1/2023 5:23:34 PM >
Post #: 4382
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 5:20:38 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

For fun, a re-do to include Darrisaw:

2024 cap as it currently stands:

$50.2 Dead Cap (If pending UFAs Cousins, Hunter, and Davenport are not signed. Replacements will cost $.)
$03.1 Cook's dead cap
$33.0 JJ (guess)
$23.0 O'Neill
$14.1 Hockenson
$10.3 Murphy
$08.8 Phillips
$06.2 Oliver
$04.6 Lowry
$26.2 Darrisaw (guess)
$179.5 million

Add in Cousins at, say, just $25.0 and the cap outlay is $204.5 million for nine players. The 2023 cap is $225, so assume it goes to $255 next year. Subtract $10 million for in-season stuff. That's $41 million remaining, or $930K on average for the other 44 players. The vet minimum starts (at least 3 yrs accrued) at just over $1 million this year, and will likely increase, so we can't afford them. Let's Get Paid!

We can expect more void years and other tricks, but the magnitude of this seems clear. And contracts for some players like Metellus are already backloaded.

Left out Mattison's $4.6 (his dead cap would be $4 million). We could save $11.3 million on Harrison Smith if he is cut, and it seems the safety position is covered.

Again, they can choose to cut some players due to salary cap issues but everyone listed here is a starter so good luck signing good replacements for equal salaries.

But JJ and Darrisaw's cap numbers will be probably a 1/3 of the per year average for at least a couple years.

Example: JJ could have cap hits of 10 and 12M for 1st two years of contract. Then you re-negotiate and keep pushing huge numbers back.
Post #: 4383
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 5:21:11 PM   
Phil Riewer

What does a good backup command now? Mullens looks to be at $2 million this year.

Post #: 4384
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 5:23:29 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

$50.2 Dead Cap (If pending UFAs Cousins, Hunter, and Davenport are not signed. Replacements will cost $.)
$03.1 Cook's dead cap
$33.0 JJ (guess)
$23.0 O'Neill
$14.1 Hockenson
$10.3 Murphy
$08.8 Phillips
$06.2 Oliver
$04.6 Lowry
$26.2 Darrisaw (guess)
$179.5 million

Add in Cousins at, say, just $25.0 and the cap outlay is $204.5 million for nine players. The 2023 cap is $225, so assume it goes to $255 next year. Subtract $10 million for in-season stuff. That's $41 million remaining, or $930K on average for the other 44 players. The vet minimum starts (at least 3 yrs accrued) at just over $1 million this year, and will likely increase, so we can't afford them. Let's Get Paid!

We can expect more void years and other tricks, but the magnitude of this seems clear. And contracts for some players like Metellus are already backloaded.

Left out Mattison's $4.6 (his dead cap would be $4 million). We could save $11.3 million on Harrison Smith if he is cut, and it seems the safety position is covered.

Again, they can choose to cut some players due to salary cap issues but everyone listed here is a starter so good luck signing good replacements for equal salaries.

But JJ and Darrisaw's cap numbers will be probably a 1/3 of the per year average for at least a couple years.

Example: JJ could have cap hits of 10 and 12M for 1st two years of contract. Then you re-negotiate and keep pushing huge numbers back.

Don't throw logic out there Mark of a different opinion than Bill....he wants everyone to think we would be scrounging for nickels if we choose to resign Kirk.

Post #: 4385
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 5:25:14 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

What does a good backup command now? Mullens looks to be at $2 million this year.

I already looked it up. Anywhere from $7 million on down.
Post #: 4386
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 5:27:42 PM   
marty

Bill didn't catch on to my making jokes about virtual money, and now he wants to lie about private messages.

He lost the argument here, so he sent me private messages, thinking this would somehow get him the upper hand. I never sent him ANY messages, I only replied to his endless messages.

So he is lying about that, once I again I win, and Bill loses.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 4387
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 5:27:55 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

$03.1 Cook's dead cap
$33.0 JJ (guess)
$23.0 O'Neill
$14.1 Hockenson
$10.3 Murphy
$08.8 Phillips
$06.2 Oliver
$04.6 Lowry
$26.2 Darrisaw (guess)
$179.5 million

Don't throw logic out there Mark of a different opinion than Bill....he wants everyone to think we would be scrounging for nickels if we choose to resign Kirk.

No, your few listed instances of cap 'savings' compared to the big cap hits show in relative terms your examples are like scrounging for nickels.

Try to keep up.
Post #: 4388
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 5:30:25 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

$03.1 Cook's dead cap
$33.0 JJ (guess)
$23.0 O'Neill
$14.1 Hockenson
$10.3 Murphy
$08.8 Phillips
$06.2 Oliver
$04.6 Lowry
$26.2 Darrisaw (guess)
$179.5 million

No, your few listed instances of cap 'savings' compared to the big cap hits show in relative terms your examples are like scrounging for nickels.

Try to keep up.

We have the huge dead cap bill because we haven't drafted well.

We have to get someone in FA that we can't afford because draft picks don't pan out.

This is what happens in a competitive rebuild.
Post #: 4389
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 5:33:07 PM   
David Levine

quote:

We have to get someone in FA that we can't afford because draft picks don't pan out.

Like Cousins.
Post #: 4390
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 5:37:24 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Bill didn't catch on to my making jokes about virtual money, and now he wants to lie about private messages.

He lost the argument here, so he sent me private messages, thinking this would somehow get him the upper hand. I never sent him ANY messages, I only replied to his endless messages.

So he is lying about that, once I again I win, and Bill loses.

I didn't lie about the PMs.

I took the stupidity off the board for the boards relief, so yes I sent the first one. And I said after a while your messages were being tossed, unread. I'd let you know each time. After a while I wasn't even notifying you of that and was getting messages.

Sorry but not sorry you lost.

But yeah, man that was/is magnificent on my part.... your stream, about a dozen?, of PMs going unread! So funny!

Does a PM even exist if nobody reads it? Win!

I originally relieved the board of this and now untrustworthy you brought it back. So are you going to stop for the boards sake?

Edit: Whoops, I did bring up the Marty-world bet thing this morning to Todd re betting the farm. My apologies go out to the board.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 11/1/2023 6:10:26 PM >
Post #: 4391
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 5:40:07 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

$03.1 Cook's dead cap
$33.0 JJ (guess)
$23.0 O'Neill
$14.1 Hockenson
$10.3 Murphy
$08.8 Phillips
$06.2 Oliver
$04.6 Lowry
$26.2 Darrisaw (guess)
$179.5 million

Try to keep up.

Actually we have the huge dead cap bill because of both GMs mismanagement of it like giving Cousins boatloads of salary, and upcoming cap issues because Spielman DID draft well.
Post #: 4392
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 5:43:09 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

$03.1 Cook's dead cap
$33.0 JJ (guess)
$23.0 O'Neill
$14.1 Hockenson
$10.3 Murphy
$08.8 Phillips
$06.2 Oliver
$04.6 Lowry
$26.2 Darrisaw (guess)
$179.5 million

Just like with Phil, you don't know that. Wow, one-third of the per year average? That could happen and I mentioned someone better keep an eye out for them going overboard on the outyear stuff, but I at least used a yearly average.

I can modify it to throw in an additional $20 million in 2024 so that we can pay more than a minimum salary to 44 players. Maybe 20 of them then get $2 million.

Face it, if they wanted to sign Cousins they would have already. They didn't. I think mostly because they can't.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 11/1/2023 5:53:06 PM >
Post #: 4393
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 6:05:24 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

$03.1 Cook's dead cap
$33.0 JJ (guess)
$23.0 O'Neill
$14.1 Hockenson
$10.3 Murphy
$08.8 Phillips
$06.2 Oliver
$04.6 Lowry
$26.2 Darrisaw (guess)
$179.5 million

Try to keep up.

Actually we have the huge dead cap bill because of both GMs mismanagement of it like giving Cousins boatloads of salary, and upcoming cap issues because Spielman DID draft well.

He didn't draft a QBOTF. Struck out every time.

I didn't write what I wrote because I want to re-sign Cousins. I think we need to draft 2 this coming draft. One in 1st round and one later in draft.

I think we need a rookie QB if we want to re-sign Hunter, JJ and Darrisaw.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 11/1/2023 6:07:57 PM >
Post #: 4394
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 6:22:14 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

$03.1 Cook's dead cap
$33.0 JJ (guess)
$23.0 O'Neill
$14.1 Hockenson
$10.3 Murphy
$08.8 Phillips
$06.2 Oliver
$04.6 Lowry
$26.2 Darrisaw (guess)
$179.5 million

Try to keep up.

He didn't draft a QBOTF. Struck out every time.

I didn't write what I wrote because I want to re-sign Cousins. I think we need to draft 2 this coming draft. One in 1st round and one later in draft.

I think we need a rookie QB if we want to re-sign Hunter, JJ and Darrisaw.

If Spielman struck it big with a QB, we would have had the luxury of the rookie deal so maybe we would have kept Trae Waynes and whomever. We'd use the cap.
Eventually that QB would get paid the big $. Difference is we might have had more success than with Cousins.

Sorry, I thought you were a Cousins proponent. Got the bobsy twins Phil and Marty tossing nonsense left and right. Time for the Block feature so I can focus on posting with adults.
Post #: 4395
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 6:22:39 PM   
marty

Bill, you DID lie about the private messages.

You made it sound like I was messaging you, I only responded to your absurd messages.

A liar like you, is not someone anyone should make a bet with.

Other than that, I agree with your take on moving on from Cousins.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 4396
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 6:43:01 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Bill, you DID lie about the private messages.

You made it sound like I was messaging you, I only responded to your absurd messages.

A liar like you, is not someone anyone should make a bet with.

Other than that, I agree with your take on moving on from Cousins.

I don't lie. I already said here (twice?) I initiated it, but after the first one it was a to-and-fro JUST LIKE what is going on here now. Until I changed the game and left you posting to... nobody! After telling you that repeatedly, I changed things again and just let you post to the trash can w/o even posting back.

Man you got played.

But you go ahead and run with the liar theme. It freshens things up. Oh, someone made a reality based post in the Conspiracy thread. I suggest you go refute it while I put you on BLOCK.
Post #: 4397
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 6:44:38 PM   
Bill Johanesen

*** IGNORED *** - 11/1/2023 6:22:39 PM

marty This user is on your "block" list and the message has been blocked.

Ahhhhh..... it's like a quick acting mental margarita!
Post #: 4398
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 6:48:04 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Phil, get over here with some more nonsense so I don't have to scroll around to find your last post and Block you!

Ah what the hell, two mental margaritas coming up!

You kids study hard and listen to your mom.
Post #: 4399
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 7:06:58 PM   
Bill Johanesen

It's great there are websites that have a lot of cap and contract info, stuff that never existed in the public realm. Seems like there has to be something out there that takes it to the next level. Like a couple of retired Brzez types to dig further, analyze, predict how far a team can go with stashing cap based on their philosophy, overlooked considerations, trends, likely candidates for post-June 1 cuts, etc.

Thousands of people build mock drafts and the like. The cap is next in importance and is perhaps the only other category of asset a team can use to build a roster.
Post #: 4400
Page:   <<   < prev  174 175 [176] 177 178   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  174 175 [176] 177 178   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode