Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  175 176 [177] 178 179   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 7:09:03 PM   
marty

Bill's definition of adults talking, is lying.Now he is lying about lying.

As I said, I never once private messaged Bill, I responded to his absurd messages.

So the high road for someone that lies is to tell everyone he is putting people on block. šŸ˜‚

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 4401
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 7:14:52 PM   
Bill Johanesen

ESPN:

As I wrote before the McDaniels hire, the Raiders were one of the league's luckiest teams in 2022. They had gone 10-7 but had been outscored by 65 points. They had gone 7-2 in games decided by seven or fewer points. Their four-game winning streak to end the season had included wins over backup quarterbacks Nick Mullens and Drew Lock and Colts quarterback Carson Wentz, who had chosen not to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and came back from the COVID-19 list hours before that game.

O'Connell is like, hold my mic.
Post #: 4402
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 8:08:46 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

For fun, a re-do to include Darrisaw:

2024 cap as it currently stands:

$50.2 Dead Cap (If pending UFAs Cousins, Hunter, and Davenport are not signed. Replacements will cost $.)
$03.1 Cook's dead cap
$33.0 JJ (guess)
$23.0 O'Neill
$14.1 Hockenson
$10.3 Murphy
$08.8 Phillips
$06.2 Oliver
$04.6 Lowry
$26.2 Darrisaw (guess)
$179.5 million

Add in Cousins at, say, just $25.0 and the cap outlay is $204.5 million for nine players. The 2023 cap is $225, so assume it goes to $255 next year. Subtract $10 million for in-season stuff. That's $41 million remaining, or $930K on average for the other 44 players. The vet minimum starts (at least 3 yrs accrued) at just over $1 million this year, and will likely increase, so we can't afford them. Let's Get Paid!

We can expect more void years and other tricks, but the magnitude of this seems clear. And contracts for some players like Metellus are already backloaded.

Left out Mattison's $4.6 (his dead cap would be $4 million). We could save $11.3 million on Harrison Smith if he is cut, and it seems the safety position is covered.

Again, they can choose to cut some players due to salary cap issues but everyone listed here is a starter so good luck signing good replacements for equal salaries.

But JJ and Darrisaw's cap numbers will be probably a 1/3 of the per year average for at least a couple years.

Example: JJ could have cap hits of 10 and 12M for 1st two years of contract. Then you re-negotiate and keep pushing huge numbers back.

Don't throw logic out there Mark of a different opinion than Bill....he wants everyone to think we would be scrounging for nickels if we choose to resign Kirk.

No, your few listed instances of cap 'savings' compared to the big cap hits show in relative terms your examples are like scrounging for nickels.

Try to keep up.

I came up with 20 million w/o even looking more than a minute at it. Nickels I guess.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 4403
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 8:24:40 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

I just looked at spotrac.com. Right now for 2024 we're already at $208,781,562 in cap and will have dead cap of $3,507,539. This is for just 36 players and JJ at $19,743,000 which is his fifth year option. He'll likely have a new deal. So yeah, $212,000,000 is already used up and we need almost 20 more players.

Salary cap already lists the minimum salary for those 20 and includes projected cap for draft picks. Which is why there is more money than it looks depending if they are a top 51 player. Actual salary minus the minimum.

Post #: 4404
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 8:29:01 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

For fun, a re-do to include Darrisaw:

2024 cap as it currently stands:

$50.2 Dead Cap (If pending UFAs Cousins, Hunter, and Davenport are not signed. Replacements will cost $.)
$03.1 Cook's dead cap
$33.0 JJ (guess)
$23.0 O'Neill
$14.1 Hockenson
$10.3 Murphy
$08.8 Phillips
$06.2 Oliver
$04.6 Lowry
$26.2 Darrisaw (guess)
$179.5 million

Add in Cousins at, say, just $25.0 and the cap outlay is $204.5 million for nine players. The 2023 cap is $225, so assume it goes to $255 next year. Subtract $10 million for in-season stuff. That's $41 million remaining, or $930K on average for the other 44 players. The vet minimum starts (at least 3 yrs accrued) at just over $1 million this year, and will likely increase, so we can't afford them. Let's Get Paid!

We can expect more void years and other tricks, but the magnitude of this seems clear. And contracts for some players like Metellus are already backloaded.

Left out Mattison's $4.6 (his dead cap would be $4 million). We could save $11.3 million on Harrison Smith if he is cut, and it seems the safety position is covered.

Again, they can choose to cut some players due to salary cap issues but everyone listed here is a starter so good luck signing good replacements for equal salaries.

But JJ and Darrisaw's cap numbers will be probably a 1/3 of the per year average for at least a couple years.

Example: JJ could have cap hits of 10 and 12M for 1st two years of contract. Then you re-negotiate and keep pushing huge numbers back.

Don't throw logic out there Mark of a different opinion than Bill....he wants everyone to think we would be scrounging for nickels if we choose to resign Kirk.

No, your few listed instances of cap 'savings' compared to the big cap hits show in relative terms your examples are like scrounging for nickels.

Try to keep up.

We have the huge dead cap bill because we haven't drafted well.

We have to get someone in FA that we can't afford because draft picks don't pan out.

This is what happens in a competitive rebuild.

Actually we have the huge dead cap bill because of both GMs mismanagement of it like giving Cousins boatloads of salary, and upcoming cap issues because Spielman DID draft well.

He didn't draft a QBOTF. Struck out every time.

I didn't write what I wrote because I want to re-sign Cousins. I think we need to draft 2 this coming draft. One in 1st round and one later in draft.

I think we need a rookie QB if we want to re-sign Hunter, JJ and Darrisaw.

Not only that. Oline and depth at every position. To top it off he didnā€™t make Zim put a legit staff together his last 3 years. All jobs of the GM.

You also need a coaching staff that can coach up drafted players. The defense is already showing improvement as is the oline half way thru the season.

Post #: 4405
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 8:30:02 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Overthecap.com

Itā€™s criminal what KFC is getting and will continue to get for being worthless on a football field.

"Thou shall not bear false witnessā€
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicoleā€™sDad
Post #: 4406
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 9:42:41 PM   
hagar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: hagar

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Not great value for a 2020 2nd round pick...

Esp considering he was playing pretty good this year. At least according to PFF.

Again, I think this is a case where PFF falls on their faces.

Our line appears to have gotten much better the minute Ezra sat down.

That new guy Risner is better than Ezra.

Decent band from back in the day

He knows. Only reason he typed it.

He's only about the 8th person to make that joke here.

Sounds about right.

Haven't been following along. Sorry
Post #: 4407
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 11:30:20 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

Overthecap.com

Itā€™s criminal what KFC is getting and will continue to get for being worthless on a football field.

Depends on your perspective. If you're a fan of Kirk Cousins, you're impressed with his ability to capitalize on capitalism. If you're a fan of the Vikings, you want something better.
Post #: 4408
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/1/2023 11:34:57 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Overthecap.com

Saying Cousins is a glorified Alex Smith is insulting to Smith:

Alex Smith had a passer rating of 97.4 with 1,745 yards, 14 touchdowns and 2 interceptions in 7 games in the playoffs in his career. Won 2.

Kirk Cousins had a passer rating of 93.7 with 1,047 yards, 5 touchdowns and 1 interception in 5 games in the playoffs in his career. Won 1.
Post #: 4409
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/2/2023 8:28:05 AM   
Phil Riewer

Mike Florio from PFF stated same thing that was said by a few on here. Odds increased Kirk is resigned after injury.

Post #: 4410
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/2/2023 8:29:15 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

Overthecap.com

Depends on your perspective. If you're a fan of Kirk Cousins, you're impressed with his ability to capitalize on capitalism. If you're a fan of the Vikings, you want something better.

Weird---this sans/stans thing going on.
How about what is best for the team?
Apparently if it was up to the coaches & players he would be back.
The supposed Stans fans want to win and I remember the Don McNabb, Joe Webb, and Ponder year.....I would rather have Dobbs, Hall, and Kirk.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 11/2/2023 8:31:34 AM >

Post #: 4411
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/2/2023 8:41:41 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

Overthecap.com

Weird---this sans/stans thing going on.
How about what is best for the team?
Apparently if it was up to the coaches & players he would be back.
The supposed Stans fans want to win and I remember the Don McNabb, Joe Webb, and Ponder year.....I would rather have Dobbs, Hall, and Kirk.

The bar needs to be a lot higher than better than aged McNabb, terrible Ponder and not even a qb Webb.
Post #: 4412
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/2/2023 9:07:25 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

2 million dollars a week is a lot of copium..

And Iā€™d be willing to bet that 2 million dollars a week for hobbling around on a kiddy leg kart, talking brave, praising god, and doing all those other ā€œ inspirationalā€ things is just what a stalker fan ( Stan) needs.. updates on every Kirk related website and social media platform, about his Famous Doctor, his ā€œ heroicā€ recovery, from such a ā€œ devastating ā€œ ( hopefully Vikings career ending) injury..

His toughness, the tears in the eyes of fellow teammates, and the soul crushing heartache felt by is bromance fans and coach, KOC, who half this Fn board wants fired everything time they see a play not result in a big gain or touchdown..

If KOC canā€™t win without his bromance QB, he needs to grow the F up and learn that The NFL stands for , NOT FOR LONG and NO FUN LEAGUE..

Some of Yā€™all people really need to investigate the symptoms of full blown ā€œ Stan/ fanā€ and or Bipolar 1 disease.

I know I have a different chemical imbalance.. I have been through the process..

itā€™s Bipolar 2( not the same), and ptsd anxiety triggered by the mere presence of children.

I take my meds.. I try to avoid things that trigger my anxiety.. which is impossible to do, outside of living in a cave in the rocky hills of some mountain rangeā€¦

Despite the snide little comments from ā€œyou know who you are. ā€œ, my grip on reality and my decades of being a bleed purple fan, tell me, that just like signing Butt Favrey was fools gold, pining for the stat machine return of an old, slow, immobile, CheckDown Charlie, KFC, is also fools gold..

Iā€™m ready to rip the band-aide off and move on..

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 11/2/2023 9:14:36 AM >

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicoleā€™sDad
Post #: 4413
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/2/2023 9:11:45 AM   
Ricky J

Yeah, just like that stupid Joe Mauer, made the Twins give him all that money.

ps: no fan of a team is impressed when someone takes up a large percentage of the cap. Unless one can be assured they themselves would be just grateful to play the game for money and would be handing out team-friendly deals a lot of the anger towards Cousins and how much money he made is hypocrisy, imo.

- seriously, though, what in the world does a guy who drives around in a shitty family van do with all that money?
Post #: 4414
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/2/2023 9:39:18 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

His ROI is shit, Rickyā€¦
I expect better..

Itā€™s that simple..

Itā€™s not my money, so that is not the basis of my disgust..

Itā€™s the nature of his personal greed,his unfailing ability for lack of winning when it matters,, his idiotic decision making like throwing out of bounds or short passes when the killer instinct to go down swinging is needed, and his public persona, that irritate me..

I wouldnā€™t waste a beer on him, because unlike Jesus, he wouldnā€™t even drink wine..

I would rather have, in this order, Fran Tarkenton, Tommy Kramer, Daunte Cullpepper, Cunningham and Moss, even Jeff George or Case Keenumā€¦

The first Four are hands down better leadersā€¦the other two are just more my style of QB..

So go ahead, rip on those choices and me for being a ā€œ hypocrite ā€œ..

Iā€™m HAPPY, that tge KFC era of frustration is winding to a close.

And I might be in the minority, but that has never stopped me, before now.

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicoleā€™sDad
Post #: 4415
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/2/2023 9:47:34 AM   
Ricky J

Maybe Jesus didn't like wine. Maybe he preferred moonshine instead.
Post #: 4416
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/2/2023 9:53:36 AM   
Ricky J

The "KFC era of frustration" won't come to a close until you let it go.

In the meantime all those other boys were no better than Kirk if it was a SB you were looking for:

@SKORNorth
Ā·
With the Rangers winning the World Series, the Minnesota #Vikings are now the oldest active team in the four men's major sports (MLB/NBA/NHL/NFL) to NEVER win a championship...
Post #: 4417
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/2/2023 10:01:37 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

All four of them were better leaders of teams than KFC, even Butt Favrey won his way into a Vikings NFCCG..but then he did what a puker does.. choked..

KFC era is OVER..

Iā€™m quite contented, TYVM..

Iā€™m actually laughing at the ā€œ talkā€ of how much more ā€œ team friendlyā€ his next contract could beā€¦

Itā€™s delusional hysteria..

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicoleā€™sDad
Post #: 4418
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/2/2023 10:01:55 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

ps: no fan of a team is impressed when someone takes up a large percentage of the cap. Unless one can be assured they themselves would be just grateful to play the game for money and would be handing out team-friendly deals a lot of the anger towards Cousins and how much money he made is hypocrisy, imo.

- seriously, though, what in the world does a guy who drives around in a shitty family van do with all that money?

Both statements are IMO off the mark.

- I don't have a problem with someone taking up a ton of cap if they produce big. And that means playing big in the playoffs, leading the team when the chips are down, winning the big one, being a transcendent player like Lawrence Taylor, etc. Generally, this applies to QB since that position is the most important one on the field.

- Joe Six Pack being grateful to play for (no?) money has no bearing on big dollar, cap crushing professional contracts so hypocrisy is a non-starter.
Post #: 4419
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/2/2023 10:07:18 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

All four of them were better leaders of teams than KFC, even Butt Favrey won his way into a Vikings NFCCG..but then he did what a puker does.. choked..

KFC era is OVER..

Iā€™m actually laughing at the ā€œ talkā€ of how much more ā€œ team friendlyā€ his next contract could beā€¦

Says who?
Post #: 4420
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/2/2023 10:11:02 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

KFC era is OVER..

Yep. But like I said, some will be pining for Cousins this offseason, when he's playing elsewhere, and even hoping he can be coaxed out of retirement.

De-nial is a big river to swim across

Meanwhile the closest association to him in 2024 will be his $28.5 million dead cap that will be due. Easily 10% over the expected cap.
Post #: 4421
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/2/2023 10:11:58 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Both statements are IMO off the mark.

- I don't have a problem with someone taking up a ton of cap if they produce big. And that means playing big in the playoffs, leading the team when the chips are down, winning the big one, being a transcendent player like Lawrence Taylor, etc. Generally, this applies to QB since that position is the most important one on the field.

- Joe Six Pack being grateful to play for (no?) money has no bearing on big dollar, cap crushing professional contracts so hypocrisy is a non-starter.

My point is, what good does it do to "hate" someone 'cause they got what you would of got in the same situation. Makes more sense to me to hate the GM, owners, wait ....

Ok, I really don't give a shti. I knew better to throw in my 2 cents. I just want the conversation to be over with and am tired of both sides of it - so, I'm as bad as the next guy
Post #: 4422
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/2/2023 10:28:53 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Kobe Bryant experienced a Grade 3 tear leading to a rupture. Seems the terms tear and rupture are sometimes used interchangeably while other times they are used to distinguish the severity. Bryant played 8 months after his achilles tear/rupture.

One doctor's take.
In clinical terms, the mechanism of Bryantā€™s injury is an eccentric contraction, where the ankle and knee are bent so the gastrocnemius and Achilles tendon are maximally stretched and then forced to lengthen resulting in the rupture of the tendon. If you happened to catch the Lakers vs Warriors game back on April 5th you might have seen Bryant crumble to the floor after making a move to the basket. It was in this moment that you can see the Achilles tendon stretched in the seconds before he hit the ground.
Achilles Tendon Rupture Treatment. Initially after the injury, Kobe Bryant received nearly immediate surgery to repair the torn tendon.

Here is what his doctor said after the surgery:
You want to get them weight-bearing as soon as possible, to some degree, but itā€™s got to be in a protected way, he said. Early on, the tendon is malleable and stretchable, so you want to get them using the muscle and getting on their leg and weight bearing for all the other reasons, even the remote reasons like the hip and the back and all the muscles in the lower leg. All that without stretching the tendon.
Post #: 4423
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/2/2023 10:41:06 AM   
Mark Anderson

Addison looks like a future Pro Bowler, maybe All Pro.

But, did we make a mistake not drafting Levis? It was just one game but the guy is athletic and has the big arm.
Post #: 4424
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/2/2023 10:42:08 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Video of Kobe getting injured and shooting two free throws after it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0EPEIoi9eI

Laker trainer on the immediate moments after Kobe's injury and in the locker room: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NP0sXxxmxk
Seems he was determined to walk off based in part as a shot to Paul Pierce. And he demanded to have surgery the next morning, which happened.

The point of all this is to say before the pro-Cousins crowd gets excited about a possible eight-month return, note that every achilles injury is different and Kobe was a unique competitor.
Post #: 4425
Page:   <<   < prev  175 176 [177] 178 179   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  175 176 [177] 178 179   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode