Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  212 213 [214] 215 216   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 9:38:30 AM   
Bill Johanesen

It's no wonder Sean McVay called the plays and kept KOC in some closet drawing up pass plays. With the game on the line, here is what the offensive mastermind dialed up:

1st & 10 at CHI 43
(3:27 - 4th) A.Mattison up the middle to CHI 43 for no gain (J.Brisker).

2nd & 10 at CHI 43
(2:45 - 4th) A.Mattison right tackle to CHI 42 for 1 yard (Ju.Jones).

3rd & 9 at CHI 42
(2:41 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Dobbs pass short left to B.Powell to CHI 43 for -1 yards (T.Edwards).
Post #: 5326
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 9:47:52 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

It's no wonder Sean McVay called the plays and kept KOC in some closet drawing up pass plays. With the game on the line, here is what the offensive mastermind dialed up:

1st & 10 at CHI 43

2nd & 10 at CHI 43

3rd & 9 at CHI 42
(2:41 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Dobbs pass short left to B.Powell to CHI 43 for -1 yards (T.Edwards).

You're a little late to the party.
Post #: 5327
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 9:51:54 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson
quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M
I wonder how many of KOC’s decisions were on the right side of analytics. A couple nice fakes on 4th that did work or would have worked but also a number of - wow we’re going for it here?! Add the turtling that has lost us games and I’d bet he’s not sporting a positive grade.

Last year we came from behind or it was tied in 4th quarter(8 comeback wins). That's when his play calling was at its best.
He has proven time and time again he can't protect a lead. I want him to use Viking analytics. We lose when he plays conservative at the end of games.

Weird a rookie coach comes in and turns that team into 13-4 and this year turns a team from 1-4 to 6-4....just never seen so many bandwagon jumpers on and off in my life. He has to learn yet how not to turtle....not a fireable offense with this years team.

Not surprised Brad H showed up with a poor attempt of a political slam to boot.

Can you teach killer instinct? Based on KOC I'd say it's at least something he's incapable of learning. Every game no matter what has to be close. I don't know Phil. I don't think he's taking us anywhere promising. I'd definitely love being proven wrong.
Post #: 5328
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 9:54:27 AM   
fmaltes

We saw the ceiling of Dobbs last night. Specifically, he is not a timing QB and telegraphs his throws.
KOC was trying to fit Dobbs into the offense that was designed for Kirk. This is a huge mistake.
What KOC does with his QB choice for the next game after the bye will be telling. If he choses Hall/Mullins he really wants to get back to his comfort zone. If he keeps Dobbs he really needs to design plays to his playset.
Dobbs needs roll outs and run/pass options. that has not been in the Vikings DNA.
Flores has done an outstanding job with a defense that really does not have a lot of top-tier talent. However, this team was designed to win on offense and only scoring 10 points with the weapons we have and three first round picks on the offensive line is inexcusable. This loss in is on KOC and Dobbs sloppy plays. He made a lot of dumb throws for a smart guy.
Post #: 5329
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 9:58:08 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wonder how many of KOC’s decisions were on the right side of analytics. A couple nice fakes on 4th that did work or would have worked but also a number of - wow we’re going for it here?! Add the turtling that has lost us games and I’d bet he’s not sporting a positive grade.

Last year we came from behind or it was tied in 4th quarter(8 comeback wins). That's when his play calling was at its best.
He has proven time and time again he can't protect a lead. I want him to use Viking analytics. We lose when he plays conservative at the end of games.

Weird a rookie coach comes in and turns that team into 13-4 and this year turns a team from 1-4 to 6-4....just never seen so many bandwagon jumpers on and off in my life. He has to learn yet how not to turtle....not a fireable offense with this years team.

I'm not for firing the guy but have some awareness.

Saints game: Just lucky that they had Jameis playing
Denver game: Big turtle
CHI game: Bigger turtle

These young guys have egos. Listen to Staley when they question him. They are not changing for anyone. Even if it means losses(I guess).

Yes, Dobbs was terrible but, with the game on the line, you can draw up a roll out(on 1st down) and tell him to either run and slide or hit a wide open player. Chicago had been in FG range 5 times before last drive so you know they can move the ball on your defense.
Post #: 5330
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 10:00:23 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

These young guys have egos. Listen to Staley when they question him. They are not changing for anyone. Even if it means losses(I guess).

Yes, Dobbs was terrible but, with the game on the line, you can draw up a roll out(on 1st down) and tell him to either run and slide or hit a wide open player. Chicago had been in FG range 5 times before last drive so you know they can move the ball on your defense.

Bingo. The guy isn't learning a damn thing. Doesn't inspire much confidence in my opinion. Huge red flags.
Post #: 5331
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 10:00:24 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Can you teach killer instinct? Based on KOC I'd say it's at least something he's incapable of learning. Every game no matter what has to be close. I don't know Phil. I don't think he's taking us anywhere promising. I'd definitely love being proven wrong.

So you don't see how he has coached up Powell, Addison, Dobbs, etc. just to compete this year? There will be bad games....he still is learning too.

I couldn't stand to watch the game hardly last night but being neutral on KOC is easier than seeing what happened to Dobbs last night.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 5332
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 10:01:02 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

1st & 10 at CHI 43

2nd & 10 at CHI 43

3rd & 9 at CHI 42

You're a little late to the party.

LOL, I know. But it was a prop to help rip KOC!
Post #: 5333
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 10:01:58 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So you don't see how he has coached up Powell, Addison, Dobbs, etc. just to compete this year? There will be bad games....he still is learning too.

I couldn't stand to watch the game hardly last night but being neutral on KOC is easier than seeing what happened to Dobbs last night.

Dobbs is a bad example. He's getting way worse with each game of his coaching. He was way better winging it off the streets.
Post #: 5334
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 10:04:41 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bingo. The guy isn't learning a damn thing. Doesn't inspire much confidence in my opinion. Huge red flags.

I have it more like:
Chicago Game: Turtle on the last drive
Saints Game: Biggest Turtle
Denver: Turtle

He needs to adapt and quickly.

Post #: 5335
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 10:05:25 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I have it more like:

Fair enough.
Post #: 5336
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 10:05:59 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: fmaltes

We saw the ceiling of Dobbs last night. Specifically, he is not a timing QB and telegraphs his throws.
KOC was trying to fit Dobbs into the offense that was designed for Kirk. This is a huge mistake.
What KOC does with his QB choice for the next game after the bye will be telling. If he choses Hall/Mullins he really wants to get back to his comfort zone. If he keeps Dobbs he really needs to design plays to his playset.
Dobbs needs roll outs and run/pass options. that has not been in the Vikings DNA.
Flores has done an outstanding job with a defense that really does not have a lot of top-tier talent. However, this team was designed to win on offense and only scoring 10 points with the weapons we have and three first round picks on the offensive line is inexcusable. This loss in is on KOC and Dobbs sloppy plays. He made a lot of dumb throws for a smart guy.

The throw to the DLineman was interesting.
Post #: 5337
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 10:09:50 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

lambs can't learn to be wolves...it's not in their DNA...o'connell is a lamb....

let dobbs freelance - seize the run when it's there...give him quicker passing routes to pass to, play action, rollouts, misdirection....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 5338
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 10:10:45 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I have it more like:

Fair enough.

I still think there biggest problem is they have don't have a consistent running game....JJ coming back will help but just a bunch of questions on our RBs.

Post #: 5339
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 10:13:35 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dobbs is a bad example. He's getting way worse with each game of his coaching. He was way better winging it off the streets.

yes, perhaps a natural that fails when over-coached, or forced into the wrong system....

Post #: 5340
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 10:13:50 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No. That's why it's called instinct. KOC and Cousins are a match. There are times during a game or a couple of games in a season where they play with abandon and wing it all over the place. But their natural tendency is to have a nice, calm, methodical (aka predictable) offense.
Post #: 5341
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 10:14:05 AM   
Ricky J

This game makes me sad. Ill. It sucked the hope right out of me.

To me, nothing else mattered but getting a first down. Nothing prior had any consequence at all. Get a first down and you win. The result was decades-old philosophy of use up their TOs and hold on ...

Id rather lose getting sacked, tipped int. instead of conservative 2 runs for nothing and a short pass (screen?) for less.

- the good news is next time the play action on first ought to work like a gem, will we use it?
Post #: 5342
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 10:14:56 AM   
Ricky J

btw, Cousins wins the last two games easy.
Post #: 5343
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 10:15:52 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I have it more like:

Fair enough.

Two hours ago he said "KOC isn't the issue"

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 11/28/2023 10:18:49 AM >
Post #: 5344
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 10:16:52 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I have it more like:

Fair enough.

I still think there biggest problem is they have don't have a consistent running game....JJ coming back will help but just a bunch of questions on our RBs.

the running plays are so obvious...ham and two tight ends on the right - defense shift to that side and load the box - run right....

Post #: 5345
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 10:18:27 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I have it more like:

Fair enough.

An hour ago he said "KOC is not the issue"

3 weeks ago I said give Dobbs 2yrs 20M.
Post #: 5346
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 10:20:46 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I have it more like:

Fair enough.

An hour ago he said "KOC is not the issue"

3 weeks ago I said give Dobbs 2yrs 20M.

In isolation, the first 12 days of Dobbs is still a damn good story.
Post #: 5347
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 10:21:07 AM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Allen

Typical Vikings and their conservative play calling and zone defense when they need a stop. Doesn't matter who is coaching this team. We get one first down we win the game. Idiot calls two runs and a stupid WR screen...and then in post game blames the INT's. Fact is they had a chance to win and KOC blew it. And JJ should have been playing. Seven weeks for a hamstring? If the delay came from Jefferson they need to just get rid of him...selfish player. If it came from the Vikings they are just dumb. They can't even get tanking right...they will finish 8-9 or 9-8 and draft the fifth best QB in the draft.

That's been my biggest concern this year. If you make the playoffs, that's fine even though it's fairly obvious this year's team will not make much of a run if they manage to get there. But, finishing around .500 is the very worst place to be for a team without a future QB on the roster. We could end up drafting in the middle of the pack and that most likely will extend the never ending search for a top tier QB. A .500 record is purgatory in the NFL.
Post #: 5348
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 10:22:41 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I have it more like:

Fair enough.

Two hours ago he said "KOC isn't the issue"

I have seen the Chilly offense....that was a turtle all game. KOC can scheme; he needs to adjust but there are also personnel issues that you always overlook.

Post #: 5349
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/28/2023 10:25:52 AM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Allen

Typical Vikings and their conservative play calling and zone defense when they need a stop. Doesn't matter who is coaching this team. We get one first down we win the game. Idiot calls two runs and a stupid WR screen...and then in post game blames the INT's. Fact is they had a chance to win and KOC blew it. And JJ should have been playing. Seven weeks for a hamstring? If the delay came from Jefferson they need to just get rid of him...selfish player. If it came from the Vikings they are just dumb. They can't even get tanking right...they will finish 8-9 or 9-8 and draft the fifth best QB in the draft.

But, I think you can get the fifth QB taken and still come away with a QBOTF.

Do I trust KAM and KOC to find that guy? Not sure.

I hope that you're right but that's more wishful thinking than anything else. I'd much rather been in the position of selecting from among the QB's that I consider to be the best available options. Selecting the fifth "best" is a good way to end up with a Ponder. I'm not saying that the 5th best can't become a Hall of Fame QB but you're basically in the position of taking whatever falls to you. That doesn't seem like a solid plan. I don't blame the player for playing as hard as they can to win every game but the end result may mean with resigning Cousins.

We're in a tough position QBOTF wise.
Post #: 5350
Page:   <<   < prev  212 213 [214] 215 216   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  212 213 [214] 215 216   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode