Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  217 218 [219] 220 221   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 10:55:16 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

o'connell needs to take dobbs and coach him up - teach him how to pass the ball more accurately...and he needs to develop gameplans and plays the work with dobbs's strengths....more play action and movement - dynamic....
dobbs should start in las vegas....

There simply isn't time in-season to do that, especially with the HC. Besides, do you really think a crash course in how to pass the ball more accurately is going to work for someone who has been on numerous NFL teams over quite a few years? He is what he is.
And based on listening to O'Connell's 15 minute press conference, twice, I belief he's moving in another direction.

All I can say is I hope it isn't Mullens; it would be regression as we don't have much of a running game w/o Hall and Dobbs.

They were speculating that it will be Mullens over at Skor North. The theory was that he is much closer to KC's than Dobbs or Hall and that's ultimately what KOC wants. Thought that was interesting.
Post #: 5451
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 10:56:41 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

Right, like either one is worth bragging about. All the Bidden guys are now administration guys - funny how that works.

Thanks Brad, I'm sure the shit storm has made your day.

Shit storm? Three posts? I even said, take it to the politics thread.

You started it! And of course, Phil couldn't leave it alone

-

And neither could you.

Right! I recognized it as a phenomenon years ago. There's no one better at it that I've ever seen

up to 8 and climbing

3 of the 8 are yours.

But never the first one! And you just jumped in
Post #: 5452
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 11:05:14 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser
quote:

quote:

o'connell needs to take dobbs and coach him up - teach him how to pass the ball more accurately...and he needs to develop gameplans and plays the work with dobbs's strengths....more play action and movement - dynamic....

There simply isn't time in-season to do that, especially with the HC. Besides, do you really think a crash course in how to pass the ball more accurately is going to work for someone who has been on numerous NFL teams over quite a few years? He is what he is.
And based on listening to O'Connell's 15 minute press conference, twice, I belief he's moving in another direction.

This. KOC can't just magically "fix" Dobbs to be an accurate passer. Unless a Rocky like montage is a real thing. He is what he is. The gameplan stuff though, that I agree with. It's like KOC gameplanned a KC's style game and expected Dobbs to execute it. Use his strengths and don't expect to him to figure out and adapt to his weaknesses. That was horse shit from the coach.

Lot more game planning going on than that for the QB.

We have a team that can't run, can't run screen plays, and 3 WR on the field not good at WR Slants.

I think someone mentioned Addison didn't have speed....umm what? He just isn't built for slants as neither are KJ or Powell---oh yeah he probably doesn't know the whole playbook either as a rookie and has to Play #1 or #2 WR---another thing that needs to be schemed.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 5453
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 11:05:17 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Just bc you’re old it doesn’t make everyone in their mid 20’s a kid.

17 and under. Period.

Not sure what’s worse people calling adults kids or their pets their son or daughter.

Old. Young. Kid. It's all subjective. He's started 13 NFL games. IMO, that still qualifies as a kid on the field.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 5454
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 11:07:52 AM   
Ricky J

If you're going to change you have to go with Hall, right?
Post #: 5455
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 11:08:54 AM   
Brad H

quote:

If you're going to change you have to go with Hall, right?

I wouldn't change anything. I would tell the offensive line to do their job. Half of Dobbs' problem was that he was running for his life. Not many quarterbacks would have looked good on Monday night.

Post #: 5456
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 11:08:57 AM   
Todd M

I love Addison and think he has tons of potential.

Unfortunately he’s been Almost Addison coming up just shy on a handful of really tough catches.
Post #: 5457
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 11:11:35 AM   
Todd M

I’d change who calls the plays.
Post #: 5458
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 11:16:24 AM   
marty

I would like to see Dobbs start in Vegas --- for the Raiders.

I have seen enough.

I like his quickness and mobility, but I want more of a passing game, and fewer turnovers. Not sure if we can get that from Mullens or Hall, but either one is worth a shot.

KOC couldn't adapt his system to Dobbs, and Dobbs couldn't take charge, complete accurate passes, and overcome a system that seems to be against him.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 5459
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 11:17:42 AM   
marty

It would seem smarter long term to go with Hall, but if KOC prefers Mullens right now, he must feel the offense will do better, that Hall isn't quite ready, and will only use Hall if forced.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 5460
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 11:18:01 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I would like to see Dobbs start in Vegas --- for the Raiders.

I have seen enough.

I like his quickness and mobility, but I want more of a passing game, and fewer turnovers. Not sure if we can get that from Mullens or Hall, but either one is worth a shot.

KOC couldn't adapt his system to Dobbs, and Dobbs couldn't take charge, complete accurate passes, and overcome a system that seems to be against him.

The same system he put all those points on the Saints and 2nd half against Atlanta? He just didn't play good the last 2 games......it could be something as simple as getting a bye week as he has been living out of a suitcase.

Post #: 5461
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 11:19:43 AM   
marty

The system that Dobbs was working outside of.

KOC realizes that isn't sustainable, that he needs to be more of a pocket passer, and the early results on that are not good.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 5462
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 11:21:34 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

KOC realizes that isn't sustainable, that he needs to be more of a pocket passer, and the early results on that are not good.

He made horrible throws in the pocket, when scrambling, etc. Again he just had a bad game. Denver game was less than mediocre and the Chicago game he played horrible.

Dobbs is a likeable guy but you can't sugar coat it. Also KOC has other issues to play call around if you aren't just caught up in the QB gaze.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 11/29/2023 11:22:50 AM >

Post #: 5463
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 11:30:04 AM   
Todd M

Cinderella story: Cousins >Hall > Dobbs > Mullens

IDGAS somebody grab this thing and run with it!
Post #: 5464
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 11:38:49 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

He made horrible throws in the pocket, when scrambling, etc. Again he just had a bad game. Denver game was less than mediocre and the Chicago game he played horrible.

Dobbs is a likeable guy but you can't sugar coat it. Also KOC has other issues to play call around if you aren't just caught up in the QB gaze.

Denver has one of the best defenses in the league right now. They lead the league in turnovers.

The Chicago game was disappointing to those that had unreal expectations. If you are running for your life, you aren't going to look good over time. The offensive line was horrific. Lets also not forget, two of the turnovers weren't his fault.

What a team should not do, is throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Dobbs showed a lot of promise in his first two games, without Jefferson. Lets see what he can do when the cupboards are full. Justin Jefferson is a game-changer. He's gone 2-2 without him.

I see no need for a kneejerk reaction.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 11/29/2023 11:42:50 AM >

Post #: 5465
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 11:42:15 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Cinderella story: Cousins >Hall > Dobbs > Mullens

IDGAS somebody grab this thing and run with it!

I'm with you. Never give up.

September 2024 is a long ways away.
Post #: 5466
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 11:42:56 AM   
Todd M

Strap in and get behind Mullens. He’s going to get the nod.

Let’s go on another streak that keeps Brad busy.
Post #: 5467
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 11:45:31 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

You can't abandon the pocket system completely but you have to get Dobbs on more designed movement plays to get the most out of him.
Post #: 5468
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 11:47:36 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Gotta paint the fence or walk the dog after Viking wins. Busy, busy busy.
Post #: 5469
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 11:50:45 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

o'connell wants to push all the blame on dobbs - everyone, and I mean everyone, believes that o'connell called/head coached a horrific game...four interceptions, yes, but three were tipped, and dobbs didn't look at all comfortable trying to fulfill o'connell's demands - that he become a stationary pocket passer....

i want dobbs, i'm rooting for dobbs....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 5470
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 12:01:43 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

I'm in here defending the guy. I'm not criticizing anyone after the loss, outside of the morons that now want to replace the quarterback they said was the answer two weeks ago.

All of you folks are such bandwagon jumpers. One bad game and its time to change everything from top-to-bottom. You people crack me up.

Given the kids first two performances, I don't think it's too much to ask to see what he can do with Jefferson on the field.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 11/29/2023 12:03:32 PM >

Post #: 5471
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 12:05:10 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

o'connell wants to push all the blame on dobbs - everyone, and I mean everyone, believes that o'connell called/head coached a horrific game...four interceptions, yes, but three were tipped, and dobbs didn't look at all comfortable trying to fulfill o'connell's demands - that he become a stationary pocket passer....

i want dobbs, i'm rooting for dobbs....

I agree. The kid is entertaining. He can do things Cousins couldn't do.

Post #: 5472
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 12:12:43 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Flores would have the killer instinct, he would just stare at the offensive coordinator, and the right plays would get called to ice the game.

Dungy - Tomlin - Don't let Flores be the next one to get away.

Is the 3 man rush “killer instinct”?

It also seems like teams are adjusting to him and learning to use his aggression against him. We’ve seen it two weeks in a row where a bad offensive team has been able to drive at will to get a score when needed.

They've given up one TD the last two weeks, with the opponent often having pretty good field position. If that's teams adjusting, I'll take it.

Defensive stats are great.

Giving up easy game winning scores isn’t.

I’m not saying to can him. And maybe a big part of the problem is lack of talent. But he’s been badly outcoached down the stretch the last 2 weeks. And not to good offenses.
Post #: 5473
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 12:14:24 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

I'm in here defending the guy. I'm not criticizing anyone after the loss, outside of the morons that now want to replace the quarterback they said was the answer two weeks ago.

All of you folks are such bandwagon jumpers. One bad game and its time to change everything from top-to-bottom. You people crack me up.

Given the kids first two performances, I don't think it's too much to ask to see what he can do with Jefferson on the field.

I have no problem going with Dobbs IF O’Connell actually tries an adaptive game plan centered on HIS skills. Trying to turn him into a pocket passer is the dumbest idea regarding his game.
Post #: 5474
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2023 12:16:54 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

Flores would have the killer instinct, he would just stare at the offensive coordinator, and the right plays would get called to ice the game.

Dungy - Tomlin - Don't let Flores be the next one to get away.

Is the 3 man rush “killer instinct”?

It also seems like teams are adjusting to him and learning to use his aggression against him. We’ve seen it two weeks in a row where a bad offensive team has been able to drive at will to get a score when needed.

They've given up one TD the last two weeks, with the opponent often having pretty good field position. If that's teams adjusting, I'll take it.

Defensive stats are great.

Giving up easy game winning scores isn’t.

I’m not saying to can him. And maybe a big part of the problem is lack of talent. But he’s been badly outcoached down the stretch the last 2 weeks. And not to good offenses.

As someone who likes what Flores has brought this is a very good and fair point.
Post #: 5475
Page:   <<   < prev  217 218 [219] 220 221   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  217 218 [219] 220 221   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode