Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  261 262 [263] 264 265   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 10:48:46 AM   
David Levine

Michael Penix QB Washington
by Drew Boylhart • December 26, 2023

STRENGTHS
Michael is the pocket-passing extraordinaire quarterback of this draft. His accuracy and overall arm talent from the pocket are franchise-like. He has the size and arm velocity in the red zone to defeat any style or type of defense. Michael shows leadership skills through his play on the field. He will make the throw with accuracy, that most NFL quarterbacks can’t make. Michael has the arm talent to make the players around him better. His ability to make plays in the passing game opens up the ability to run the ball and that is the definition of a franchise quarterback. If the team that selects him protects him in the pocket with a good offensive line, I guarantee, you will see Michael in the Super Bowl.

CONCERNS
Injuries have made Michael a pocket passer and stolen his quickness when flushed out of the pocket. He must learn to manipulate the pocket better and not take the big hits in the pocket or he will never make it through a 17-game schedule. He has to become more “Tom Brady like” to gain better passing lanes, set up his offensive line better, and keep himself healthy.

BOTTOM LINE: 1.47
Because we don’t have Tight Ends that block or fullbacks, and teams send 6 players from the defense against 5 offensive linemen, the NFL is now looking for a more athletic quarterback who can extend plays running the ball and throwing the ball on the run. At one time, Michael was one of those types of quarterbacks. Now Michael is a pocket-passing extraordinaire type of quarterback; believe me, those are rare, especially with Michael’s accuracy. There is no throw in the NFL quarterback book, that Michael can’t make with the velocity, accuracy, or touch, needed to bring a team from behind to win a game. Don’t worry about drafting receivers because Michael can make anyone a better receiver. Don’t worry about drafting a running back because Michael will force teams to play light in the box allowing his running back to run the ball effectively. Just worry about one thing after you select Michael…drafting and finding offensive lineman to protect him. You do that and trust me, Michael will take you to a Super Bowl.

https://www.thehuddlereport.com/blog/?p=3884
Post #: 6551
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 10:49:28 AM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

So we'll be heading into Year 3 of the KAM/KOC era and the closest thing they've done to finding a successor for Cousins is spend a 5th round pick on a 25 year-old project.

Kwesi is a bust. Wish we had Ryan Poles, the GM of the Bears. He has an option with Fields as QB, the No. 1 pick and currently the No. 10 pick, I think. The Bears also has boats loads of cash to spend on free agency. Both Kwesi and Poles started their jobs in the same year. Kwesi has no plan, no direction and no clue.
Post #: 6552
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 10:52:22 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Kwesi has not done a good job. Period. The only thing he has working for him are soft owners and a “too soon to fire” window.

For me it’s not only the picks and what missing on 2 contributors has cost it’s the way he went about it. Passing on a star S for a bum.

Cine did make his 1st big boy tackle. It’s like a 2 year old “baby” bird finally leave the nest.

This!

I'm ok with trading down if you have a plan. Trading back, with a division rival, to pick a S......when the #1 rated stud is sitting right there is just plain stupid. It's like he thought he had some grand scheme and it all collapsed in a second so he panicked.
Post #: 6553
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 10:55:06 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Kwesi has not done a good job. Period. The only thing he has working for him are soft owners and a “too soon to fire” window.

For me it’s not only the picks and what missing on 2 contributors has cost it’s the way he went about it. Passing on a star S for a bum.

Cine did make his 1st big boy tackle. It’s like a 2 year old “baby” bird finally leave the nest.

This!

I'm ok with trading down if you have a plan. Trading back, with a division rival, to pick a S......when the #1 rated stud is sitting right there is just plain stupid. It's like he thought he had some grand scheme and it all collapsed in a second so he panicked.

Bingo! Moving back to 30 for pretty much nothing! Who does that?

< Message edited by Richard Neussendorfer -- 1/2/2024 10:56:23 AM >
Post #: 6554
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 10:55:57 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

STRENGTHS
Michael is the pocket-passing extraordinaire quarterback of this draft. His accuracy and overall arm talent from the pocket are franchise-like. He has the size and arm velocity in the red zone to defeat any style or type of defense. Michael shows leadership skills through his play on the field. He will make the throw with accuracy, that most NFL quarterbacks can’t make. Michael has the arm talent to make the players around him better. His ability to make plays in the passing game opens up the ability to run the ball and that is the definition of a franchise quarterback. If the team that selects him protects him in the pocket with a good offensive line, I guarantee, you will see Michael in the Super Bowl.

CONCERNS
Injuries have made Michael a pocket passer and stolen his quickness when flushed out of the pocket. He must learn to manipulate the pocket better and not take the big hits in the pocket or he will never make it through a 17-game schedule. He has to become more “Tom Brady like” to gain better passing lanes, set up his offensive line better, and keep himself healthy.

Because we don’t have Tight Ends that block or fullbacks, and teams send 6 players from the defense against 5 offensive linemen, the NFL is now looking for a more athletic quarterback who can extend plays running the ball and throwing the ball on the run. At one time, Michael was one of those types of quarterbacks. Now Michael is a pocket-passing extraordinaire type of quarterback; believe me, those are rare, especially with Michael’s accuracy. There is no throw in the NFL quarterback book, that Michael can’t make with the velocity, accuracy, or touch, needed to bring a team from behind to win a game. Don’t worry about drafting receivers because Michael can make anyone a better receiver. Don’t worry about drafting a running back because Michael will force teams to play light in the box allowing his running back to run the ball effectively. Just worry about one thing after you select Michael…drafting and finding offensive lineman to protect him. You do that and trust me, Michael will take you to a Super Bowl.

Good read my man. He showed last night that he can still haunt you with his legs too. Just not like his early days at Indiana. Keeping him healthy will be paramount. Not sure our line can do that though. Would be a really interesting, yet firghtening, pick.
Post #: 6555
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 10:59:13 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

STRENGTHS

CONCERNS

Good read my man. He showed last night that he can still haunt you with his legs too. Just not like his early days at Indiana. Keeping him healthy will be paramount. Not sure our line can do that though. Would be a really interesting, yet firghtening, pick.

Excellent way of putting it. I'd rather be frightened over a guy with serious talent than a bum like Ponder. It would be interesting for sure.
Post #: 6556
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 11:02:55 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark C. Johnson

quote:

So we'll be heading into Year 3 of the KAM/KOC era and the closest thing they've done to finding a successor for Cousins is spend a 5th round pick on a 25 year-old project.

Kwesi is a bust. Wish we had Ryan Poles, the GM of the Bears. He has an option with Fields as QB, the No. 1 pick and currently the No. 10 pick, I think. The Bears also has boats loads of cash to spend on free agency. Both Kwesi and Poles started their jobs in the same year. Kwesi has no plan, no direction and no clue.

I mentioned it in the GDT (I think) as it happened. I am done with KAM as I watched the GB game. I was pretty out on him already but that slammed the door for me.

We were getting boat raced, at home, to our biggest rival as they sent our last gasp realistic chance at the playoffs right down the drain. The cameras closed in on KOC. He looked pissed/confused/disappointed....basically you could tell he was hurting.

They showed KAM, the guy that put this together. He was in the luxury sweet with big shit eating grin on his face yucking it up. My immediate thought was "I wonder what Lynch would look like in this scenario?". I can guarantee you he wouldn't be up there smiling.
Post #: 6557
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 12:00:20 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Saw highlights of Penix... wow, what an arm.

Some players are just injury prone. Others like Robert Smith seem to take a while to get the injuries over with (an observation more than a proven thing).
Post #: 6558
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 12:09:14 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

The competitive rebuild was the wrong course of action and I was strongly in favor of a tear down. We did get to enjoy an entertaining yet hollow 13-4 season last year, all the while knowing we weren't good enough to win the SB with that team.

We've wasted 2 years of JJ and are further away from competing for a SB.

Not only are the cupboards pretty bare for next year, but we're paying a lot of dead cap.

We have maybe 5 guys under team control that other teams would covet and they are all on offense.

I love JJ, but we need to use that asset to kickstart the rebuild. Instead of paying him and Darrisaw big time extensions get some draft capital for them and anyone else that is tradeable. Tear it down to the studs and start by building quality OL and DL. I'm tired of being dominated in the trenches all the time.

Go 1-16 next year with Hall and Mullens as your QB and draft #1 overall in 2025. Get your QB and skill positions go from there, should have a bunch of FA money at that point too to fill in the gaps. You probably draft petty high again in 2026 as the new QB has some growing pains, but 2027 and beyond you should be very competitive if the GM and scouts did their jobs. (Hopefully not Queasy)

Your plan only works if you have competent people on the other side of the teardown that can build something.

Waiting to pounce on a QB in two years is a very flawed pro football strategy. You dont wait to strike until your iron is hot, you make the iron hot by striking. i. e., it may take several attempts to get a QB worthy of leading this franchise. You dont just draft anybody but you dont just draft nobody either. gzuz.

Yesterday you spit on the idea of picking for need but your plan uses the purest form / the zenith of need picking - align all your resources and schedule your QB pick for 2 years down the road. Without knowing who’s available or what our draft position will be.

Your plan may fix the problem but more than likely it just prolongs the groundhog qb day we are going through.

The methodologies may differ or there is a 'flaw', but philosophically you both are on the same page I am.

The team has no identity. It's directionless. They resort to distractors like Cousins showing up.

What they do with Cousins will tell a lot. Extend the floundering? Forge a new path? Kwesi seems to be more of a born bullshitter than a football guy. Everyone was on board with the trade and selection of Cine? Then everyone needs to be fired, but you know damn well everyone was NOT on board.
Post #: 6559
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 12:12:22 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Some players are just injury prone. Others like Robert Smith seem to take a while to get the injuries over with (an observation more than a proven thing).

2 torn ACLs in his right knee and season ending injuries to both shoulders.

He appears to be recovered from the throwing shoulder - no idea if it'll have any long-term effects.

You have to hope the ACLs are a fluke and not a sign that he's more prone to them.

Can he be that guy that is very mobile in the pocket to make up for not really using him as a running option?
Post #: 6560
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 12:13:30 PM   
Bill Johanesen

And it's no surprise Kwesi's word salad impressed the Wilfs because they no doubt surrounded themselves with con artists and fast talkers in their profitable, yet criminal, real estate enterprise.

Someone like Art Rooney would have said who the f*** is this clown.
Post #: 6561
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 12:18:47 PM   
stfrank

quote:

And it's no surprise Kwesi's word salad impressed the Wilfs because they no doubt surrounded themselves with con artists and fast talkers in their profitable, yet criminal, real estate enterprise.

Careful, one of Ziggy's sub-contractors may give you a visit with talk like that.
Post #: 6562
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 12:20:16 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

2 torn ACLs in his right knee and season ending injuries to both shoulders.

He appears to be recovered from the throwing shoulder - no idea if it'll have any long-term effects.

You have to hope the ACLs are a fluke and not a sign that he's more prone to them.

Can he be that guy that is very mobile in the pocket to make up for not really using him as a running option?

Or like the eval alluded to, can he develop a pocket presence. An instinct. Just enough feet shuffling to stay out of danger. A lot of QBs never do. Tough one for the scouts to project, but that's their job.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/2/2024 12:27:07 PM >
Post #: 6563
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 12:22:53 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

quote:

Careful, one of Ziggy's sub-contractors may give you a visit with talk like that.

Cousin Lenny's three-piece suit doesn't fool anyone, that dudes a straight up hit man!
Post #: 6564
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 1:49:38 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

he's a kwesi sucker special - just say no to all players with injury histories...that's how a failed draft prospect becomes a second contract slow burn....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 6565
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 2:20:38 PM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

he's a kwesi sucker special - just say no to all players with injury histories...that's how a failed draft prospect becomes a second contract slow burn....

Penix is very hard one to evaluate.

A number of season ending injuries...
BUT, has played that last 26(?) games relatively healthy.

He is older... can't think of an older QB actually panning out in the NFL in recent memory.

On his highlight tape... he places the ball with extreme precision.

Tough call.
Post #: 6566
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 2:47:56 PM   
Pauldiercks1

If it's a tough call, that likely means it is a no.
Post #: 6567
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 2:54:50 PM   
Pauldiercks1

Still lamenting that we beat Carolina early in the season. I just knew if we lost that game everything would fall into place.

KAM probably got the job because he sold the owners on a rebuild on the fly plan. The owners didn't want to hire anyone that said lets gut and rebuild the team which others were calling for.
Post #: 6568
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 4:14:33 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

Still lamenting that we beat Carolina early in the season. I just knew if we lost that game everything would fall into place.

KAM probably got the job because he sold the owners on a rebuild on the fly plan. The owners didn't want to hire anyone that said lets gut and rebuild the team which others were calling for.

Actually, GMs worth their salt would never interview once getting word of any competitive rebuild crap. So the meddling Wilfs had their choice of a few spineless urchins.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/2/2024 4:17:45 PM >
Post #: 6569
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 4:15:48 PM   
Arlowe84

Not sure if true or not, but read somewhere that Kwesi presented a plan to the Wilfs to tear the team down or competitive rebuild, and they wanted the competitive rebuild.

But yeah, not blown away by Kwesi.

2 drafts, Has added a very good WR2 and a young LB (did he get lucky with Pace?). I guess you could say he's added some depth the the secondary, but that's about it
Have added no other impact defensive players. 1 outright bust in Cine, and what appears to be just a bunch of guys at CB. Evans, Booth, Blackmon. Evans has been downright awful. But giving him the benefit of the doubt we have "depth"

I guess his "success" is trading for Hockensen, and signing him. But I think there is also a legitimate argument that now is the time to draft young/cheap TEs. They seem to be all over the league these days. 10 years ago TE was a premium position, but college passing games have really developed the TE.

A questionable contract to Mattison in a time where RBs are devalued. Go young and cheap, questionable contract to a blocking TE in Oliver, Davenport was a joke
Hicks was fine, but nothing spectacular. We really just needed a LBer with some size.
If he let's Hunter go, without compensation, that's an eff up. They could have gotten a couple picks for him 2/3rd round to help with rebuild.

What concerns me most is 2 years in and we have a lot of question on the defense with lots of holes.
Who's our cornerstones of the future? Mettellus and Pace? That's pretty weak.
No 3 rd pick this year. If we go QB at 1, are we drafting any impact defensive players this year?

It'a an alarming situation for sure.
Post #: 6570
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 4:22:33 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arlowe84

Not sure if true or not, but read somewhere that Kwesi presented a plan to the Wilfs to tear the team down or competitive rebuild, and they wanted the competitive rebuild.

But yeah, not blown away by Kwesi.

2 drafts, Has added a very good WR2 and a young LB (did he get lucky with Pace?). I guess you could say he's added some depth the the secondary, but that's about it
Have added no other impact defensive players. 1 outright bust in Cine, and what appears to be just a bunch of guys at CB. Evans, Booth, Blackmon. Evans has been downright awful. But giving him the benefit of the doubt we have "depth"

I guess his "success" is trading for Hockensen, and signing him. But I think there is also a legitimate argument that now is the time to draft young/cheap TEs. They seem to be all over the league these days. 10 years ago TE was a premium position, but college passing games have really developed the TE.

A questionable contract to Mattison in a time where RBs are devalued. Go young and cheap, questionable contract to a blocking TE in Oliver, Davenport was a joke
Hicks was fine, but nothing spectacular. We really just needed a LBer with some size.
If he let's Hunter go, without compensation, that's an eff up. They could have gotten a couple picks for him 2/3rd round to help with rebuild.

What concerns me most is 2 years in and we have a lot of question on the defense with lots of holes.
Who's our cornerstones of the future? Mettellus and Pace? That's pretty weak.
No 3 rd pick this year. If we go QB at 1, are we drafting any impact defensive players this year?

It'a an alarming situation for sure.

Presenting two options, if true, is bogus and shows he was just a job seeker. A real GM or even someone with conviction would say I've studied the team and, based on MY philosophy, have a strategy and a plan that aligns with that strategy.
Post #: 6571
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 4:36:11 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Has added a very good WR2 and a young LB (did he get lucky with Pace?)

Pace and Carter were among the top undrafted free agents. By most accounts, THE top two for their position(s) if not all positions. They almost assuredly signed for two reasons: the large signing bonuses and the belief they could make the team because of the joke of a roster at their positions.

There was no talent evaluation skill involved with getting those two. As Howard Cosell once described the Foreman-Lyle fight, "...utterly devoid of boxing skill". That's Kwesi, utterly devoid of GM skill.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/2/2024 4:42:08 PM >
Post #: 6572
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 4:52:32 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

That can't be overstated. Entered that game 0-3. Down 13-7 at the half, beat them in a one score game and left with a still dismal 1-3 record. At 0-4 the regime might, just might, have taken a different direction in their dumbass competitive rebuild.

Beating the worst team in the league by one score could have ramifications that extend beyond this season.
Post #: 6573
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 4:58:43 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Has added a very good WR2 and a young LB (did he get lucky with Pace?)

Pace and Carter were among the top undrafted free agents. By most accounts, THE top two for their position(s) if not all positions. They almost assuredly signed for two reasons: the large signing bonuses and the belief they could make the team because of the joke of a roster at their positions.

There was no talent evaluation skill involved with getting those two. As Howard Cosell once described the Foreman-Lyle fight, "...utterly devoid of boxing skill". That's Kwesi, utterly devoid of GM skill.

Sometimes you get lucky.

If they truly believed Pace was a starting caliber player, they would've drafted him to guarantee they get him.
Post #: 6574
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/2/2024 5:14:12 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Luck may suggest you had some stake in the matter. Like hitting big on a bet. Or in the traditional draft sense: picking someone with a 6th or 7th rounder and they turn out to be a great player.

Kwesi had nothing at stake, well maybe the good graces of the Wilf's based on any money not tied to the cap (IDK as UDFAs have different rules).

But overall yes, lucky.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/2/2024 5:22:59 PM >
Post #: 6575
Page:   <<   < prev  261 262 [263] 264 265   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  261 262 [263] 264 265   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode