Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  264 265 [266] 267 268   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 1:38:42 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

All I did was list some of the QBs taken and the number they were picked in the draft.

I consider elite what most people consider elite.

Spend a lot of time on that?

3 course meal, all salad.

Seriously?

My post was simply to show you don't necessarily need a high draft pick to get a good QB. Some drafted high stink to high heaven. Some drafted low have been much better. Your chances are better using a higher draft pick, but, big reach here, that would be true of any position. In all it's a crapshoot. Let's not trade away our future just yet.

Turns out salads are pretty good! There is more to meals than red meat and diabetes inducing crap.

Nice rundown. 2013 QBs, ugh.
Post #: 6626
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 1:39:56 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Yes. I think a 2025 1st rounder and O'Neill gets you up there.

DONE and run to the podium!

It gets you there in a fantasy world.
Post #: 6627
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 1:47:05 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

Who thinks we are only a rookie QB from being a SB contender next year?

You are all missing the larger point of my 2 year plan. We have many holes. Drafting your favorite QB choice in the 8-12 range this year doesn't do him a bit of good and wastes a year of his rookie scale contract.

I will agree that if the scouts say next year there are no QB's as good as this year's option, go for it, but it's still a bigger rebuild than that.

What does a rookie QB have to do with contending next year? Nobody suggested that.

Rookie contract? The treatment of the Uygurs in Mongolia has more to do with our QB situation.

First find a QB. Yesterday. End of story.

Not tomorrow for God sakes.

You want to waste time and resources setting the table for next year's chicken salad. What if Queasy goes vegetarian this year?

Ok, you don't want to build a roster capable of winning a SB, you just want a QB now, no matter who they are or what they are capable of. Enjoy the short term sugar high.

The team needs a bigger tear down, if you don't see that, you don't deserve the job Todd just gave you.

By the way Todd, I'd like my severance package now.

So the QBs this year are a total mystery, but so much more is already known about the QBs for next year that are key to your plan. Got it.
Post #: 6628
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 1:57:26 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

First thing that stands out about Penix is his deep ball. Throws a guided missile down the field with excellent placement and accuracy.

Penix understands coverage. He sees the field well and knows how to exploit coverages and attack soft spots in the zone.

Has excellent poise in the pocket. Doesn’t get rattled by pressure or outside noise. Stays focused and composed, working through progressions across the entire field.

In the pocket is where Penix thrives the most. He can run when needed and throws well on the move while creating outside of structure, but he would much rather stay inside the pocket and beat you there. Penix possesses a good pump fake with both vigor and quickness.

Footwork is mostly crisp out of the shotgun. He doesn’t have a hitch in his step and keeps them active to reset quickly. It helps him be accurate with the football. Placement is a massive plus when he has clean footwork.

Sounds like a very good fit for KOCs offense.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 6629
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 1:58:37 PM   
Bill Johanesen

The Vikings are looking to hit free agency without a starting QB or even a viable backup QB on the roster.
The 2024 draft, by almost every account, is a QB rich draft.
The Vikings are likely to pick in the #10-12 range.
The Vikings would be fools to pass on a QB they like in the 2024 draft in order to defer to a totally unknown situation in 2025.

Case closed. Actually it never went to trial because the judge laughed it off the docket.
Post #: 6630
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 2:00:44 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

First thing that stands out about Penix is his deep ball. Throws a guided missile down the field with excellent placement and accuracy.

Penix understands coverage. He sees the field well and knows how to exploit coverages and attack soft spots in the zone.

Has excellent poise in the pocket. Doesn’t get rattled by pressure or outside noise. Stays focused and composed, working through progressions across the entire field.

In the pocket is where Penix thrives the most. He can run when needed and throws well on the move while creating outside of structure, but he would much rather stay inside the pocket and beat you there. Penix possesses a good pump fake with both vigor and quickness.

Footwork is mostly crisp out of the shotgun. He doesn’t have a hitch in his step and keeps them active to reset quickly. It helps him be accurate with the football. Placement is a massive plus when he has clean footwork.

30+ yard darts. Video game arm. Jeff George with a quicker, Bledsoe-like release.
Post #: 6631
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 2:07:09 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

30+ yard darts. Video game arm. Jeff George with a quicker, Bledsoe-like release.

With more composure in the pocket.
Post #: 6632
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 2:34:22 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

You are all missing the larger point of my 2 year plan. We have many holes. Drafting your favorite QB choice in the 8-12 range this year doesn't do him a bit of good and wastes a year of his rookie scale contract.

I will agree that if the scouts say next year there are no QB's as good as this year's option, go for it, but it's still a bigger rebuild than that.

What does a rookie QB have to do with contending next year? Nobody suggested that.

Rookie contract? The treatment of the Uygurs in Mongolia has more to do with our QB situation.

First find a QB. Yesterday. End of story.

Not tomorrow for God sakes.

You want to waste time and resources setting the table for next year's chicken salad. What if Queasy goes vegetarian this year?

Ok, you don't want to build a roster capable of winning a SB, you just want a QB now, no matter who they are or what they are capable of. Enjoy the short term sugar high.

The team needs a bigger tear down, if you don't see that, you don't deserve the job Todd just gave you.

By the way Todd, I'd like my severance package now.

C'mon.

Everybody here and everywhere wants their roster capable of winning a super bowl.

I have said over and over again, a QB prospect worthy of where we draft. Which depends on where we end up drafting, who is available, what we have to give up if we want to trade up, etc.

I have never said, 'Any QB'.

Reset the franchise. Lop off heads. Trade players. Swallow dead money like big ol' bowell cleansing pills.

I'm open to anything.

Except for ignoring putting-off disregarding excluding and neglecting the most important thing to every good team.
Post #: 6633
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 2:37:20 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

The Vikings are looking to hit free agency without a starting QB or even a viable backup QB on the roster.
The 2024 draft, by almost every account, is a QB rich draft.
The Vikings are likely to pick in the #10-12 range.
The Vikings would be fools to pass on a QB they like in the 2024 draft in order to defer to a totally unknown situation in 2025.

Case closed. Actually it never went to trial because the judge laughed it off the docket.

Succinct. It really is that straightforward.
Post #: 6634
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 2:48:21 PM  1 votes
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

It worked for Dallas once upon a time but they found a sucker to help them. And they had a great football mind in Jimmy Johnson.

Nobody is going to be suckered like that again.

Nobody.

Carolina did last year.
The Bears' haul is a massive one. Pending physicals, the Bears will acquire Panthers wide receiver DJ Moore, the No. 9 pick, a second-round pick this year, a 2024 first-round pick and a second-round pick in 2025.

1990 MN 1st 17th pick
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990
1991 MN 1st 11th pick
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional on cutting Howard)
1992 MN 1st 13th pick
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (condition met by trading away Nelson)
Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Stewart)

None of MN first round picks were top 10 luckily but NFL network has been calling this one a Hershel Walker trade redone.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/3/2024 3:01:20 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6635
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 3:32:45 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

The competitive rebuild was the wrong course of action and I was strongly in favor of a tear down. We did get to enjoy an entertaining yet hollow 13-4 season last year, all the while knowing we weren't good enough to win the SB with that team.

We've wasted 2 years of JJ and are further away from competing for a SB.

Not only are the cupboards pretty bare for next year, but we're paying a lot of dead cap.

We have maybe 5 guys under team control that other teams would covet and they are all on offense.

I love JJ, but we need to use that asset to kickstart the rebuild. Instead of paying him and Darrisaw big time extensions get some draft capital for them and anyone else that is tradeable. Tear it down to the studs and start by building quality OL and DL. I'm tired of being dominated in the trenches all the time.

Go 1-16 next year with Hall and Mullens as your QB and draft #1 overall in 2025. Get your QB and skill positions go from there, should have a bunch of FA money at that point too to fill in the gaps. You probably draft petty high again in 2026 as the new QB has some growing pains, but 2027 and beyond you should be very competitive if the GM and scouts did their jobs. (Hopefully not Queasy)

We are position to get a QBOTF this draft. Why wait?

Like Bill says, sit out FA and get dead cap in order.

By 2025, hopefully we have QBOTF and cap room.

Do you want the 3rd or 4th best QB on the board, because that's all you're getting in the 8-12 range that we're projected at. I'd rather wait a year and have the best guy that year. If you get the QB this year and still suck because the rest of the roster is bad, you not only run the risk of ruining your QBOTF, but you burn a year of his rookie scale contract for nothing.

IF we are picking 8-12 and Pennix is available, I'd take him if my due diligence of his injury history is cleared by the medical staff. Guys tend to fall for various reasons and if he falls because of past injuries we may just get very lucky to have the opportunity to draft hjm. If he fails, try again and draft another guy the next year. There currently is not a starting QB on the roster for next year. Absent resigning Cousins, I've no clue what the front office has planned for filling the position.
Post #: 6636
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 3:37:29 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

Still lamenting that we beat Carolina early in the season. I just knew if we lost that game everything would fall into place.

KAM probably got the job because he sold the owners on a rebuild on the fly plan. The owners didn't want to hire anyone that said lets gut and rebuild the team which others were calling for.

It very much sounds like the WILF's are the reason we had to go down the competitive rebuild plan. They are more concerned with butts in the seats than actually winning a championship. However I'm not impressed at all with Queasy or KOC. The "culture" has gone down the tubes along with the record.

I've asked vikings.com a few times why they don't share post game speeches or Mic'd Up material after a loss. They only do it after a win. If the culture was so solid, why wouldn't they share both???? It's easy to have a strong culture when you luck your way to 13 wins. How was it Sunday? Looked to me like the guys started making business decisions instead of going all out for the team. If that's true, the culture is BROKEN.

I'm not a fan of Jerry Jones or Robert Kraft, but they both are old and rich enough to know what they want. I have no doubt they want to win Super Bowls. Zygi is one of the poorest NFL owners. That poor bastard is barely a billionaire, how did he even get in the club? He's more interested in profits than championships, and he's too stupid to realize that a monkey could own a NFL team and still get a shit ton of bananas in return.

I would prefer the owner of my team to want to win at least as much as I do. He doesn't. I'm shocked he hasn't asked the fans to subsidize the new, non-slippery turf for the seven year old, billion dollar stadium.

I'm not sure I agree with this post. Isn't is true that all the teams in the league have a cap on how much they can pay players? So, unlike the MLB, how rich the owner is shouldn't factor into spending on players. From what I can tell, the team has excellent training facilities and one of the best stadiums in the NFL. If they're not spending up to the Cap, then I'd understand the argument.
Post #: 6637
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 3:38:33 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

Kwesi - why am I being fired?!

Kyle Hamilton: 143 tackles 5 sacks 4 INT 2 FF

Lewis Cine: 1 tackle

Wow, that's very damning. I was very surprised when they passed on Hamilton.
Post #: 6638
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 3:38:46 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

It worked for Dallas once upon a time but they found a sucker to help them. And they had a great football mind in Jimmy Johnson.

Nobody.

Carolina did last year.
The Bears' haul is a massive one. Pending physicals, the Bears will acquire Panthers wide receiver DJ Moore, the No. 9 pick, a second-round pick this year, a 2024 first-round pick and a second-round pick in 2025.

1990 MN 1st 17th pick
1991 MN 1st 11th pick
1992 MN 1st 13th pick

None of MN first round picks were top 10 luckily but NFL network has been calling this one a Hershel Walker trade redone.

You need to factor in that the Panthers got the #1 overall pick in 2023. The Vikings got a 27 year-old RB that was "system dependent".

Dallas got our:
1st and 2nd in 1990
1st and 2nd in 1991
1st and 2nd in 1992

Carolina made a bad trade. But it wasn't to the scale of what Dallas did to us.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 1/3/2024 3:40:36 PM >
Post #: 6639
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 3:39:34 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Expecting a decisive win playing Dobbs how he should have played all along that will count for nothing but lost draft stock.

This is the way.

I don't see Dobbs leading the Vikings to a win. He got figured out in the middle of the NO game. He led the Vikings to 55 points in his first 5 quarters. Then it was 33 in his last 13 quarters, including 0 against the Bears.

My suggestion to KOC is to play the guy who is most likely to lose.
Post #: 6640
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 3:46:12 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

All I did was list some of the QBs taken and the number they were picked in the draft.

I consider elite what most people consider elite.

Spend a lot of time on that?

3 course meal, all salad.

Seriously?

My post was simply to show you don't necessarily need a high draft pick to get a good QB. Some drafted high stink to high heaven. Some drafted low have been much better. Your chances are better using a higher draft pick, but, big reach here, that would be true of any position. In all it's a crapshoot. Let's not trade away our future just yet.

I agree. I wouldn't trade lots of picks away just to move up for what amounts to a crapshoot. If someone drops reasonably close to your pick, then "maybe". But, giving up multiple years worth of number 1 picks seems to generally backfire on the teams that do so.
Post #: 6641
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 3:51:08 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

I believe that you are over thinking this. IF a QB that the team likes is available to them this year, then draft him. Who cares about 1 year IF he's a true difference maker that would be around for 10 to 15 years. The biggest and most important hole on the team is QB. The Vikings have spent decades ignoring that fact or at best have done a very poor job at filling that QB hole.
Post #: 6642
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 4:05:53 PM   
Todd M

Going with Mullens.

You got this Mullens…go deep!
Post #: 6643
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 4:14:47 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Going with Mullens.

You got this Mullens…go deep!

I want to see 12 turnovers.

If we're going to flame out, flame out BIG.
Post #: 6644
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 4:29:10 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nobody.

Carolina did last year.

1990 MN 1st 17th pick
1991 MN 1st 11th pick
1992 MN 1st 13th pick

You need to factor in that the Panthers got the #1 overall pick in 2023. The Vikings got a 27 year-old RB that was "system dependent".

Dallas got our:
1st and 2nd in 1990
1st and 2nd in 1991
1st and 2nd in 1992

DJ Moore who was a 1st round pick, #9 pick in 2023, 2nd Round Pick in 2023, #1 Pick in 2024, 2nd Round Pick in 2025

1990 #17
1991 #11
1992 #13

Pretty dang close when you factor in value of #9 pick and #1 pick.....NFL network is calling it a Hershel Walker type disaster.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6645
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 4:29:40 PM   
David Levine

Starting Mullens could mean:

• KOC really thinks we have a shot at the Playoffs.
• KOC realizes Hall isn't anywhere close to being an NFL QB.
• KOC is using the game to try to get JJ the 118 yards he needs for 1000.
Post #: 6646
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 4:34:35 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nobody.

Carolina did last year.

1990 MN 1st 17th pick
1991 MN 1st 11th pick
1992 MN 1st 13th pick

Dallas got our:
1st and 2nd in 1990
1st and 2nd in 1991
1st and 2nd in 1992

DJ Moore who was a 1st round pick, #9 pick in 2023, 2nd Round Pick in 2023, #1 Pick in 2024, 2nd Round Pick in 2025

1990 #17
1991 #11
1992 #13

Pretty dang close when you factor in value of #9 pick and #1 pick.....NFL network is calling it a Hershel Walker type disaster.

DJ Moore was a 1st round pick in 2018. At the time of the trade where he was drafted was irrelevant. He was a player traded, not a pick.

The Walker trade actually gets worse if you do that. Because by your logic we also gave up a 1st round pick in Nelson and a 2nd round pick in Holt. So I guess that makes it FOUR 1st round picks and FOUR 2nd round picks.

Plus Nelson was the #7 pick overall, so add even more value based on the "Phil chart".

You also can't judge future 1st round picks where they land after the fact. They're a lottery ticket with a guaranteed jackpot - its just not known at the time how big each one will be.
Post #: 6647
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 4:36:02 PM   
David Levine

I'll give you this. If the Bears go on to win three SBs with a strong influence from the Carolina trade, I'll jump to your side of the argument.
Post #: 6648
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 4:37:59 PM   
Todd M

quote:

Starting Mullens could mean:

• KOC really thinks we have a shot at the Playoffs.
• KOC realizes Hall isn't anywhere close to being an NFL QB.
• KOC is using the game to try to get JJ the 118 yards he needs for 1000.

Probably all 3.

A makes me sad bc we don’t..
B makes me sad bc it was probably true either way but we did him no favors..
C makes me worried Mullens will hang JJ out to dry and get him injured.
Post #: 6649
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/3/2024 4:41:32 PM   
Todd M

I’d say I was worried that it’s the Vikings way to get a useless win but Detroit already handled us easily on the road and also I could see the players checking out bc they know we have no shot with any of the stiffs we have at QB.
Post #: 6650
Page:   <<   < prev  264 265 [266] 267 268   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  264 265 [266] 267 268   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode