Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  266 267 [268] 269 270   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 10:31:22 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark C. Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Going with Mullens.

You got this Mullens…go deep!

I want to see 12 turnovers.

If we're going to flame out, flame out BIG.

Of all of the available QB's in the league, Mullens is the guy that Kwesi and KOC handpicked as the primary backup to Cousins. I get it that he's a backup but is he really the best that they could find? The odds of your starting QB playing all 17 games is pretty low so having a solid backup seems like something that should be a high priority for an NFL team.

Not disagreeing but I give them this out. KC's, despite his warts, has always been a guy that plays a full season. Now, moving forward (if he's the guy they go with), they don't learn their leason......
Post #: 6676
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 10:33:37 AM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

I'll give you this. If the Bears go on to win three SBs with a strong influence from the Carolina trade, I'll jump to your side of the argument.

I've no idea if they will win three SB's...nobody does. But, they've done an excellent job of putting themselves in position to substantially improve. They already have Fields, they have Carolina's No. 1 pick, their own first round pick and more cap space than almost every team in the league.

I've no idea if the Vikings will win three SB's nobody does. But, they've done a very poor job of putting themselves in position to substantially improve. They have no QB on the roster for next year, they will pick in the teens and will need to be lucky to have a QB drop to them (i.e., no plan) and they have less cap space than almost every team in the league.

As of today, Poles > Kwesi.
Post #: 6677
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 10:37:42 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

And lets not forget, Dobbs had JJ for about 15 minutes. You can't overlook that. He was literally the only guy that could make a play outside of Addison or Hockenson. Teams did a quick study and found out they needed to contain him to the pocket.

Unfortunately it was Dobbs hanging JJ out to dry that caused the injury...

That's bullshit, and nothing more than a fan being a fan. How do you know JJ wasn't late to the spot? He may have been expected to be on a spot and ended up hanging himself out to dry because he was late to the spot. It was a timing pattern. Any crossing patterns will come with some risk. Brady hung his guys out to dry every game. He was the master of the crossing pattern. His guys played injured, continuously. JJ shut it down because he's a soft diva, IMO.

the biggest mistake o'connell made this season was pulling dobbs for mullens and hall - if he plays with dobbs and we're in the playoffs, no problem....

imo jefferson is one tough cookie...he takes big-time hits every game...i'm amazed that he pops up from many of them...dobbs didn't hang jefferson out on that play - it's just american football - the masculine manly game we love....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 6678
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 10:40:29 AM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

quote:

And lets not forget, Dobbs had JJ for about 15 minutes. You can't overlook that. He was literally the only guy that could make a play outside of Addison or Hockenson. Teams did a quick study and found out they needed to contain him to the pocket.

Start Dobbs, don't start him it doesn't matter. He's a bum as is Mullens. With any luck, they'll manage to lose the game and improve their draft position a bit.
Post #: 6679
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 10:42:34 AM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

quote:

Going with Mullens.

Of all of the available QB's in the league, Mullens is the guy that Kwesi and KOC handpicked as the primary backup to Cousins. I get it that he's a backup but is he really the best that they could find? The odds of your starting QB playing all 17 games is pretty low so having a solid backup seems like something that should be a high priority for an NFL team.

Not disagreeing but I give them this out. KC's, despite his warts, has always been a guy that plays a full season. Now, moving forward (if he's the guy they go with), they don't learn their leason......

That's true, Cousins has been very durable and he's a tough guy. I'll give him that. But, injuries can happen to every player so for me having a solid backupt at the most important position would be a priority.
Post #: 6680
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 10:44:41 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

I'll give you this. If the Bears go on to win three SBs with a strong influence from the Carolina trade, I'll jump to your side of the argument.

I've no idea if they will win three SB's...nobody does. But, they've done an excellent job of putting themselves in position to substantially improve. They already have Fields, they have Carolina's No. 1 pick, their own first round pick and more cap space than almost every team in the league.

I've no idea if the Vikings will win three SB's nobody does. But, they've done a very poor job of putting themselves in position to substantially improve. They have no QB on the roster for next year, they will pick in the teens and will need to be lucky to have a QB drop to them (i.e., no plan) and they have less cap space than almost every team in the league.

You're arguing a very different point than I am.

No where have I said Kwesi > Poles.

My entire comment was the Carolina trade was not as bad as the Walker trade. That's it.
Post #: 6681
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 10:49:37 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's bullshit, and nothing more than a fan being a fan. How do you know JJ wasn't late to the spot? He may have been expected to be on a spot and ended up hanging himself out to dry because he was late to the spot. It was a timing pattern. Any crossing patterns will come with some risk. Brady hung his guys out to dry every game. He was the master of the crossing pattern. His guys played injured, continuously. JJ shut it down because he's a soft diva, IMO.

Good point.

Its on JJ for not being 6" taller... And I'll give JJ the benefit of the doubt in route running over Dobbs accuracy 12 times out of 10.

There are throws where your WR is going to take a big hit and then there are throws that legitimately put your WR in danger.

I like Dobbs more than any of our other backups, but his lack of accuracy and timing are the reason he's been on 8 teams.

He can't run the offense KOC is hell-bent on using and KOC refuses to adjust to his talent.

If he just lets Dobbs sandlot his way through games like he did for 5 quarters, we're likely in the Playoffs.

(But also no closer to having a QBotF)
Post #: 6682
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 10:55:32 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

Who thinks we are only a rookie QB from being a SB contender next year?

You are all missing the larger point of my 2 year plan. We have many holes. Drafting your favorite QB choice in the 8-12 range this year doesn't do him a bit of good and wastes a year of his rookie scale contract.

I will agree that if the scouts say next year there are no QB's as good as this year's option, go for it, but it's still a bigger rebuild than that.

I believe that you are over thinking this. IF a QB that the team likes is available to them this year, then draft him. Who cares about 1 year IF he's a true difference maker that would be around for 10 to 15 years. The biggest and most important hole on the team is QB. The Vikings have spent decades ignoring that fact or at best have done a very poor job at filling that QB hole.

How many rookie QB's get wrecked because they have to play on a shitty team? I'd much rather fix the roster, then insert a #1 pick QB, and go from there. If you want to take the 4th best QB and put him on a shit team and hope we win, good ****ing luck to you.

4th QB taken doesn’t mean 4th best QB.

In fact I’d guess more often than not the best QB from a draft isn’t the 1st one taken.

Right, because there might be 10 QBs taken in a draft, odds are that the best one of the other 9 is better than the 1st one taken. But more often than not the 1st QB taken from a draft is better than the 4th QB taken, which is the point he's trying to make.

I think this year the projected 3rd (Daniels) and 4th (Penix) QBs drafted have as much of a chance (or more) to be superstars than the 1st (Williams) or 2nd (Maye).

Daniels would require a reasonable trade-up. Penix could be there at our pick.
Post #: 6683
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 11:11:52 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Going with Mullens.

$$---Mullens is/was a cheap backup....sometimes you get what you pay for.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6684
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 11:13:57 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

I don't agree.....Kwesi brought in a very good DC......Poles hasn't done as well with coaches---very important part of the puzzle. Also FA that we have brought in have been very good (Murphy, Phillips, Risner). That is part of a successful puzzle if you fix the draft portion---if you remember scouts and coaches tell GMs what who to draft---so there may be more to it than Kwesi selections.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/4/2024 11:15:57 AM >

Post #: 6685
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 11:16:46 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

How is that Josh Dobbs decision looking right about now?

Vikings starters in 2023.

Dobbs, 3-2 (had JJ for about 15 minutes total)
Cousins, 4-4
Others, 0-3

You guys were so quick to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Technically Dobbs was 2-2 as a starter. He entered in the 2nd quarter against Atlanta. In the last win that Dobbs started, Mullens came in and got us the only 3 points of the game.

Dobbs first 5 quarters - 55 points / 0 int
Dobbs last 13 quarters - 37 points / 5 int

Two of Dobbs' interceptions were off deflections.

In other words, Dobbs was responsible for about three turnovers in 18 quarters of play. I'll take that any day over what we saw the past three weeks.
Mullens was an absolute disaster. Hall had no business in an NFL game.

They were not all off deflections and Dobbs got away with a lot of terrible throws. And lets not forget the 6 fumbles. He was absolutely putrid in his last start. There is no disputing Mullens has also been reckless and stupid with the ball with a lot of turnovers.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6686
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 11:19:49 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

I don't agree.....Kwesi brought in a very good DC......Poles hasn't done as well with coaches---very important part of the puzzle. Also FA that we have brought in have been very good (Murphy, Phillips, Risner). That is part of a successful puzzle if you fix the draft portion---if you remember scouts and coaches tell GMs what who to draft---so there may be more to it than Kwesi selections.

Kwesi is choosing KOC's coaches?
Post #: 6687
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 11:30:31 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Would you rather have Reich or KOC? Yes he is involved in it; you don't think Flores makes a little more than the towel guy?

I remember Zimmer's coaching staff versus KOC---you don't see the difference?

Post #: 6688
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 11:35:54 AM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

quote:

Kwesi is the worst GM in sports, all time, and across the multi-verse.
Post #: 6689
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 11:40:08 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Would you rather have Reich or KOC? Yes he is involved in it; you don't think Flores makes a little more than the towel guy?

What are you even talking about?

What does Kwesi have to do with either coaching staff?

Kwesi hired KOC. KOC hired Donatell, then fired him and hired Flores.

Zimmer hired his own coaches. KOC hires his own coaches. The common denominator is not Kwesi.
Post #: 6690
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 11:45:18 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Zimmer hired his own coaches. KOC hires his own coaches. The common denominator is not Kwesi.

Speilman got fired for not communicating with Zimmer....so you think KOC is on the island with his coaches and GM is not involved at all (even with the contracts)....ok. LOL

Post #: 6691
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 11:48:20 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Speilman got fired for not communicating with Zimmer....so you think KOC is on the island with his coaches and GM is not involved at all (even with the contracts)....ok. LOL

Then why did Zimmer get fired?

Spielman got fired because the team had no future. Same as Zimmer.

Obviously the front office is involved with all coaches contracts. But they don't pick who the HC hires to work under him.

But fine. If you want to magically give credit to Kwesi for Flores, then he's also responsible for Donatell.
Post #: 6692
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 11:50:02 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Then why did Zimmer get fired?

Spielman got fired because the team had no future. Same as Zimmer.

Obviously the front office is involved with all coaches contracts. But they don't pick who the HC hires to work under him.

But fine. If you want to magically give credit to Kwesi for Flores, then he's also responsible for Donatell.

Spielman let Zimmer put together that coaching staff....BS on there not being a check and balance. GMs get fired for coaching choices all the time. GMs force coaching staff changes....

Post #: 6693
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 11:53:59 AM   
David Levine

Show me anywhere that Kwesi forced Flores on KOC.

I'll wait.
Post #: 6694
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 12:08:24 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

Yes. I think a 2025 1st rounder and O'Neill gets you up there.

DONE and run to the podium!

It gets you there in a fantasy world.

This scenario was to get to the 4th or 5th pick. From 8th to 10th spot.

Not #1 pick

Ah got it. If they are targeting Penix, O'Neill would be the blind-side protector.

Maybe he just needs another year to get the achilles right. But O'Neill got pushed around pretty good this year.

Quessenbury did just as good imo.
Post #: 6695
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 12:10:55 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cousins, 4-4
Others, 0-3

Technically Dobbs was 2-2 as a starter. He entered in the 2nd quarter against Atlanta. In the last win that Dobbs started, Mullens came in and got us the only 3 points of the game.

In other words, Dobbs was responsible for about three turnovers in 18 quarters of play. I'll take that any day over what we saw the past three weeks.

They were not all off deflections and Dobbs got away with a lot of terrible throws. And lets not forget the 6 fumbles. He was absolutely putrid in his last start. There is no disputing Mullens has also been reckless and stupid with the ball with a lot of turnovers.

I got sucked into Dobbs mania after New Orleans game.

But, teams figured out to keep him in pocket and make him throw accurate passes. KOC didn't do him any favors but there is a reason he has been on 5 or 6 teams.
Post #: 6696
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 12:17:35 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cousins, 4-4
Others, 0-3

In other words, Dobbs was responsible for about three turnovers in 18 quarters of play.
I'll take that any day over what we saw the past three weeks.

Not even close to true. He had 2 turnovers in his 1st 10 minutes against Atlanta. And there were about 20 to 25 head scratchers in the rest of his games.
Post #: 6697
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 12:30:27 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Going with Mullens.

That's true, Cousins has been very durable and he's a tough guy. I'll give him that. But, injuries can happen to every player so for me having a solid backupt at the most important position would be a priority.

Agree 100%. If he is back and our BU situation is Mullens or worse, KOC/KAM need to go. That would show they are stubborn/stupid or both.
Post #: 6698
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 12:34:18 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cousins, 4-4
Others, 0-3

I got sucked into Dobbs mania after New Orleans game.

But, teams figured out to keep him in pocket and make him throw accurate passes. KOC didn't do him any favors but there is a reason he has been on 5 or 6 teams.

No matter what....the focus on firing Kwesi for "His draft picks" should be outweighed by not having suitable backups at QB and receiving TE. In addition hanging your hat on Mattison as lead rb. Not to mention picking Davenport over ZED.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/4/2024 1:47:47 PM >

Post #: 6699
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 1:08:47 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Going with Mullens.

Agree 100%. If he is back and our BU situation is Mullens or worse, KOC/KAM need to go. That would show they are stubborn/stupid or both.

Almost two years in, I'm struggling to see their vision for the future. The Hock trade is one example. Yes, he's a good TE, but he cost draft capital and he's not cheap. Would have made sense to be selling these first two years rather than buying. Are they any better positioned for the future than they were the day these two were hired?
Post #: 6700
Page:   <<   < prev  266 267 [268] 269 270   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  266 267 [268] 269 270   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode