Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  267 268 [269] 270 271   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 1:09:37 PM   
fmaltes

Interesting article. Minnesota Vikings have two coordinators in the top five.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39241201/nflpa-survey-identifies-top-coordinators-ahead-hiring-cycle
Post #: 6701
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 2:06:27 PM  1 votes
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark C. Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

I'll give you this. If the Bears go on to win three SBs with a strong influence from the Carolina trade, I'll jump to your side of the argument.

I've no idea if they will win three SB's...nobody does. But, they've done an excellent job of putting themselves in position to substantially improve. They already have Fields, they have Carolina's No. 1 pick, their own first round pick and more cap space than almost every team in the league.

I've no idea if the Vikings will win three SB's nobody does. But, they've done a very poor job of putting themselves in position to substantially improve. They have no QB on the roster for next year, they will pick in the teens and will need to be lucky to have a QB drop to them (i.e., no plan) and they have less cap space than almost every team in the league.

As of today, Poles > Kwesi.

Devils advocate... which team has blown things up and reaped a superbowl in the aftermath?

Seems like recent superbowl winners have done it by being continuously competitive and hitting on putting the right pieces together AND getting some luck.
(starting with a stud QB)

Vikes have never gotten the luck part... for sure... ever.

< Message edited by beo -- 1/4/2024 2:09:13 PM >
Post #: 6702
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 2:55:56 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

quote:

I'll give you this. If the Bears go on to win three SBs with a strong influence from the Carolina trade, I'll jump to your side of the argument.

I've no idea if they will win three SB's...nobody does. But, they've done an excellent job of putting themselves in position to substantially improve. They already have Fields, they have Carolina's No. 1 pick, their own first round pick and more cap space than almost every team in the league.

I've no idea if the Vikings will win three SB's nobody does. But, they've done a very poor job of putting themselves in position to substantially improve. They have no QB on the roster for next year, they will pick in the teens and will need to be lucky to have a QB drop to them (i.e., no plan) and they have less cap space than almost every team in the league.

Devils advocate... which team has blown things up and reaped a superbowl in the aftermath?

Seems like recent superbowl winners have done it by being continuously competitive and hitting on putting the right pieces together AND getting some luck.

Brady and Mahomes skew any analysis of recent Super Bowl winner trends. They won so damn many of them it left so few for anyone else.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6703
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 2:58:29 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Brady and Mahomes skew any analysis of recent Super Bowl winner trends. They won so damn many of them it left so few for anyone else.

Mahomes has only won 2

The same number as Eli Manning. and Peyton Manning. More than Drew Brees. and Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre.

Brady won 7 of course.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 6704
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 3:03:17 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mahomes has only won 2

The same number as Eli Manning. and Peyton Manning. More than Drew Brees. and Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre.

Brady won 7 of course.

"Recent".

Brady and Mahomes have won 4 of the last 5.

5 years is almost an era in the NFL these days...
Post #: 6705
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 3:14:08 PM   
Todd M

Myself and others have said burn it down or tear it down to the studs but I think the general thought would be to clear some bloated contracts, get cap healthy, find a rookie QB that can be your franchise QB. IOW stop what we’ve been doing which is floating in and around the middle.
Post #: 6706
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 3:16:12 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

We got lucky with Moss. Just never closed the deal.
Post #: 6707
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 3:16:36 PM   
Pauldiercks1

The Vikings have gotten the luck part many times. They have not gotten the bottom out and rebuild part almost never.

The Vikings were possibly the luckiest team in history last year.
Randy Moss was lucky Cris Carter was lucky. Adrain peterson was lucky. They had many fortunate players fall in their lap.

Luck is made more often than not.
Post #: 6708
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 3:26:30 PM  1 votes
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Myself and others have said burn it down or tear it down to the studs but I think the general thought would be to clear some bloated contracts, get cap healthy, find a rookie QB that can be your franchise QB. IOW stop what we’ve been doing which is floating in and around the middle.

I'm a broken record but keep offense in tact for rookie QB and skimp on defense.

Penix
Chandler, Mattison, McBride, late round rookie
JJ, Addison, Powell, Nailor, late round rookie
Hock, Oliver, Muse, UDFA rookie

Darrisaw, Risner, Bradbury or middle round rookie, Ingram, Quessenbury

Don't resign Cousins, Hunter, Hicks, Osborn, Ham,

Cut or trade: HSmith, O'Neill, possibly Mattison,

2025: Start rebuilding defense
Post #: 6709
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 3:28:32 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

The Vikings have gotten the luck part many times. They have not gotten the bottom out and rebuild part almost never.

Randy Moss was lucky Cris Carter was lucky. Adrain peterson was lucky. They had many fortunate players fall in their lap.

We did well when the USFL disbanded. AC, Millard
Post #: 6710
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 3:48:06 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes... .and Kansas City was in a similar sitation to the Vikes.
Alex Smith was good but not great.
KC got to the playoffs but didn't make much noise.

Enter Mahomes... superbowl homey!

But even going back further... not really seeing it.
Not that it couldn't work... but it surely isn't a clearly better path. (YMMV)

< Message edited by beo -- 1/4/2024 4:00:37 PM >
Post #: 6711
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 3:50:00 PM   
beo

quote:

No luck in the playoffs/championship games.
No luck in drafting franchise qb (IMO).

1987 Nelson drop
1998 Moss TD drop, Griffith int drop, Smith running out of bounds and the killer Cunningham fumble before half.
2009 5 fumbles(?), aggregious OT reffing
2017 Whole game disaster

< Message edited by beo -- 1/4/2024 4:01:45 PM >
Post #: 6712
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 4:00:28 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

KC didn't blow up the team to draft him; neither did NE. Five star post by beo.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6713
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 4:04:39 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mahomes has only won 2

Brady won 7 of course.

"Recent".

Brady and Mahomes have won 4 of the last 5.

5 years is almost an era in the NFL these days...

Thank you. Another way of stating my point is: Brady and Mahomes have combined to win 60% of the last ten Super Bowls.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6714
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 5:36:17 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Zimmerman. Hall of Fame.

Had to read up on the rest. Interesting, as things were not clean cut, i.e. there was some wheeling and dealing for Zim and AC, and we had already drafted Millard in the normal draft at #13 overall.

After the USFL folded in August 1986, Zimmerman joined the Minnesota Vikings after they obtained his rights from the New York Giants who drafted him in the 1984 NFL Supplemental Draft of USFL and CFL Players.

Keith Millard was drafted by the Vikings based on a recommendation from their scout Don Deisch in the first round of the 1984 NFL Draft and played one season in the USFL.

After the 1985 USFL season, Carter signed with the NFL's Miami Dolphins, who drafted Carter back in 1983 in order to secure his NFL rights. However, he was traded to the Minnesota Vikings before playing a game with the team. More: the Dolphins drafted him 334th. After he left the USFL, he signed with the Dolphins in the summer of 1985. However, the Dolphins traded him to the Minnesota Vikings for linebacker Robin Sendlein and a second-round draft selection.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/4/2024 6:16:16 PM >
Post #: 6715
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2024 6:12:58 PM   
Bill Johanesen

The 1983 draft had 12 rounds. Miami finally drafted AC in the second to last pick of the draft (334).

I would have used, oohhh, an 11th round pick on him even knowing he was headed to the USFL. But we did take Browner in the 1st round.

AC might not be in the NFL HoF, but with his dominance at Michigan, the USFL, and the NFL, he deserves a first ballot in a hypothetical "Football Hall of Fame".

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/4/2024 6:21:54 PM >
Post #: 6716
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/5/2024 8:18:22 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I'm a broken record but keep offense in tact for rookie QB and skimp on defense.

Penix
Chandler, Mattison, McBride, late round rookie
JJ, Addison, Powell, Nailor, late round rookie
Hock, Oliver, Muse, UDFA rookie

Darrisaw, Risner, Bradbury or middle round rookie, Ingram, Quessenbury

Don't resign Cousins, Hunter, Hicks, Osborn, Ham,

Cut or trade: HSmith, O'Neill, possibly Mattison,

2025: Start rebuilding defense

Look what Flores did with just Murphy, Pace, and same talent left him. He is the key----he will develop guys.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6717
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/5/2024 8:25:31 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

The 1983 draft had 12 rounds. Miami finally drafted AC in the second to last pick of the draft (334).

I would have used, oohhh, an 11th round pick on him even knowing he was headed to the USFL. But we did take Browner in the 1st round.

AC might not be in the NFL HoF, but with his dominance at Michigan, the USFL, and the NFL, he deserves a first ballot in a hypothetical "Football Hall of Fame".

AC, Millard contributed heavily to one of the purest moments of joy in my life as a fan … watching Montana get benched in a playoff game. Not quite but almost as satisfying as winning that game.
Post #: 6718
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/5/2024 9:14:20 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

AC, Millard contributed heavily to one of the purest moments of joy in my life as a fan … watching Montana get benched in a playoff game. Not quite but almost as satisfying as winning that game.

Shot the shit with Montana in a bar when he had just become a star player. Eventually he went back to his table to join Dwight Clark and Fred Dean. Dean had a woman cuddled up next to him... on both sides.

Montana is the anti-Cousins.
Post #: 6719
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/5/2024 9:31:11 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Thank goodness the Bears went on a mini winning streak because for a while they were in line to draft Caleb Williams AND Marvin Harrison Jr.

Getting the #1 happened because of the trade with Carolina. The trade with Carolina happened because the Bears had the #1 overall pick. The Bears had the #1 overall pick because they had the guts to tear things down like trading their best defenders for draft picks and, indirectly, higher draft positions.

IMO it's admirable they went with a real rebuild. Then again, maybe they had fewer options as shit like "competitive rebuild" wouldn't float in Chicago.
Post #: 6720
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/5/2024 10:19:45 AM   
marty

I have a feeling Chicago will once again trade away the #1 pick.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 6721
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/5/2024 10:47:58 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Zimmerman. Hall of Fame.

Had to read up on the rest. Interesting, as things were not clean cut, i.e. there was some wheeling and dealing for Zim and AC, and we had already drafted Millard in the normal draft at #13 overall.

After the USFL folded in August 1986, Zimmerman joined the Minnesota Vikings after they obtained his rights from the New York Giants who drafted him in the 1984 NFL Supplemental Draft of USFL and CFL Players.

Keith Millard was drafted by the Vikings based on a recommendation from their scout Don Deisch in the first round of the 1984 NFL Draft and played one season in the USFL.

After the 1985 USFL season, Carter signed with the NFL's Miami Dolphins, who drafted Carter back in 1983 in order to secure his NFL rights. However, he was traded to the Minnesota Vikings before playing a game with the team. More: the Dolphins drafted him 334th. After he left the USFL, he signed with the Dolphins in the summer of 1985. However, the Dolphins traded him to the Minnesota Vikings for linebacker Robin Sendlein and a second-round draft selection.

How did I forget Zimmerman?
Post #: 6722
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/5/2024 10:49:16 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

Shot the shit with Montana in a bar when he had just become a star player. Eventually he went back to his table to join Dwight Clark and Fred Dean. Dean had a woman cuddled up next to him... on both sides.

Montana is the anti-Cousins.

Wasn't Montana a 3rd rounder?
Post #: 6723
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/5/2024 11:29:31 AM   
MDK

3rd round
82nd pick
Goes to show how bad college and nfl scouts are for evaluating QBs
And Montana was always mobile.
Unlike lead footed Cousins

The reason Trump's ass is so large is because all repub senators and representatives heads are up his ass
Post #: 6724
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/5/2024 12:20:08 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

New Orleans playoffs late TD....LUCK
Randy Moss dropping to 21....LUCK

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 6725
Page:   <<   < prev  267 268 [269] 270 271   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  267 268 [269] 270 271   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode