Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  278 279 [280] 281 282   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2024 1:05:16 PM   
Bill Johanesen

All-Pro Team: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-all-pro-teams-christian-mccaffrey-tyreek-hill-among-unanimous-selections-five-49ers-on-first-team/

McDuffie and Hamilton? Garbage selections. Cine is clearly better.
Post #: 6976
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2024 1:34:17 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

But Belichick's pre-Brady and post-Brady records clearly suggest the GOAT was the key to the sustained success,

Pretty hard to argue otherwise...

BB is a hands-down hall of famer, regardless.

Belichick, who I dislike immensely, was both HC and GM for all those SBs ... so gets credit for putting together the teams ... offenses, defenses, STs that Brady powered to all those SBs.

Its hard to take anything away from either jerk.

I suppose that is true...

However, I just feel like Bills ability to get the absolute most out of marginal talent was so good he could mask how bad his high draft picks were.

He had his 3wr(Troy Brown) playing cb at a higher level than most of the Vikings draft picks in the last decade.

If he could have hit on 1st rounders at all the dynasty might still be going.

Well thank you. I try, but some posters that are beyond hope will be waived shortly.

Better to get rid of a poster a year too early rather than a year too late... lol

You mean a post too early.

I made a favorable comment about KJ Osborn(e) once and found myself well inside the blast radius.

That being said, the 'too early vs too late' mentioned was a pretty strong element of the Patriots sustained success. I don't care how good Brady was,he made mistakes in all the playoff and SB games, a lot that were were neutralized by good play from the rest of the team.

I suppose if we dumped players like Thielen, etc. while they were still productive ... would seem pretty heartless for us ... since we've always been in the 'keep your best as long as possible and then some, especially if they want to be Vikings' ...

True the Patriots lucked into Brady, their equation was different for 20 years. But it seems like some fans seem more anxious about what happens to JJ than who's going to throw to JJ. That's an exaggeration but ...
Post #: 6977
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2024 1:47:36 PM   
Bill Johanesen

People forget how masterful Belichick was at game-planning and adjustments to keep the opponent off balance. Like Bledsoe's 70 pass attempts (against the Vikings at that). Or opening a game with 25 straight rushes.

I suppose if we dumped players like Thielen, etc.

For some, it was blasphemy to even casually mention releasing aged players like Thielen, Greenway, and Robison...
Post #: 6978
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2024 2:35:28 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

People forget how masterful Belichick was at game-planning and adjustments to keep the opponent off balance. Like Bledsoe's 70 pass attempts (against the Vikings at that). Or opening a game with 25 straight rushes.

For some, it was blasphemy to even casually mention releasing aged players like Thielen, Greenway, and Robison...

Fielding and training teams smart enough to execute and make those adjustments, game after game. While bleeding coaches and good players.

As far as the Thielen / veteran extension thing, Belichick was about as sentimental as the creature in 'Alien' when it comes to contracts.
Post #: 6979
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2024 3:05:55 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

Fielding and training teams smart enough to execute and make those adjustments, game after game. While bleeding coaches and good players.

As far as the Thielen / veteran extension thing, Belichick was about as sentimental as the creature in 'Alien' when it comes to contracts.

I loved/love that about that organization. They are committed to winning and don't let fans' sentimental love affairs with individual players get in the way Here's my quickly thought up, not-all-inclusive, put-very-little-thought-into, list of players we kept too long and paid too much money to in the process;

Anthony Barr, Kyle Rudolph, Brian Robison, Adam Thielen, Everson Griffen, Chad Greenway, Jarred Allen, Harrison Smith, Adrian Peterson.

EDIT - forgot a big one - Kirk Cousins

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6980
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2024 3:07:46 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

But Belichick's pre-Brady and post-Brady records clearly suggest the GOAT was the key to the sustained success,

Pretty hard to argue otherwise...

BB is a hands-down hall of famer, regardless.

Belichick, who I dislike immensely, was both HC and GM for all those SBs ... so gets credit for putting together the teams ... offenses, defenses, STs that Brady powered to all those SBs.

Its hard to take anything away from either jerk.

I suppose that is true...

However, I just feel like Bills ability to get the absolute most out of marginal talent was so good he could mask how bad his high draft picks were.

He had his 3wr(Troy Brown) playing cb at a higher level than most of the Vikings draft picks in the last decade.

If he could have hit on 1st rounders at all the dynasty might still be going.

Well thank you. I try, but some posters that are beyond hope will be waived shortly.

Better to get rid of a poster a year too early rather than a year too late... lol

You mean a post too early.

I made a favorable comment about KJ Osborn(e) once and found myself well inside the blast radius.

That being said, the 'too early vs too late' mentioned was a pretty strong element of the Patriots sustained success. I don't care how good Brady was,he made mistakes in all the playoff and SB games, a lot that were were neutralized by good play from the rest of the team.

I suppose if we dumped players like Thielen, etc. while they were still productive ... would seem pretty heartless for us ... since we've always been in the 'keep your best as long as possible and then some, especially if they want to be Vikings' ...

True the Patriots lucked into Brady, their equation was different for 20 years. But it seems like some fans seem more anxious about what happens to JJ than who's going to throw to JJ. That's an exaggeration but ...

Same Re: KJO..

And totally agree with who is throwing as opposed to who is receiving…

A highly skilled QB doesn’t need to rely on just one or Two “ supastars”.. they distribute passes and get completions to multiple WR’s with multiple skill levels and abilities..

QB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WR or TE.

!!!!Ol and Coaching!!!!!====== !!!!!!!QB!!!!!!

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 1/12/2024 3:08:56 PM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 6981
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2024 3:46:13 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

I loved/love that about that organization. They are committed to winning and don't let fans' sentimental love affairs with individual players get in the way Here's my quickly thought up, not-all-inclusive, put-very-little-thought-into, list of players we kept too long and paid too much money to in the process;

Anthony Barr, Kyle Rudolph, Brian Robison, Adam Thielen, Everson Griffen, Chad Greenway, Jarred Allen, Harrison Smith, Adrian Peterson.

I swear on my Mother's virtue ... I typed but deleted this last line from my post ...

"... when it comes to contracts. I disagree with David F. a lot but he does push the Belichick's 'no one is irreplaceable [unless they are a Brady].'
Post #: 6982
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2024 4:51:35 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I swear on my Mother's virtue ... I typed but deleted this last line from my post ...

"... when it comes to contracts. I disagree with David F. a lot but he does push the Belichick's 'no one is irreplaceable [unless they are a Brady].'

And Kraft couldn't give a crap. Cut 'em! On the surface, the stereotype of NYC raised, criminal enterprise lead Zygmunt should be in that ruthless category, but it's like he's cool with whatever.
Post #: 6983
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/12/2024 5:43:10 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And Kraft couldn't give a crap. Cut 'em! On the surface, the stereotype of NYC raised, criminal enterprise lead Zygmunt should be in that ruthless category, but it's like he's cool with whatever.

Right ... you'd think. Maybe the team is just a front for other shady dealings ... Zygi's like the Spacey / Keyser Soze of the nfl.

Which is why he doesn't want us to be too successful or too awful – less scrutiny.

I've changed my mind, Cousins is perfect for hiding our vast underbelly of seedy criminal activity. Sign him!

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 1/12/2024 7:58:14 PM >
Post #: 6984
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2024 12:19:54 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

I think the Wilf’s are just rich guys who thought owning a team was a status symbol, and everything they do is for the sake of appearance and squeezing more money out of the cash cow.

They are FANS of football, playing as owners..

The only time they probably care about W’s Vs L’s and other things related to actual football, is if they catch flack from the good old boys network.

I truly think they don’t care..

Happily paying multiple million for a mediocre QB and signing off on massive inflated contract extensions for “Home town Hero’s”, regardless of their ability to contribute to actual wins in playoff and drive the franchise to the championship Trophy, tells me.. ( they suck, as owners)

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 1/13/2024 12:33:16 AM >

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 6985
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2024 4:14:52 AM   
ratoppenheimer

when one does a deep dive into the wilfs, it's shocking that they were approved for NFL ownership...they committed fraud at a high level - ripped off limited partners in real estate deals - and the legal system is so weak that it's taken decades to even partially rectify their wrongs, and nobody is doing any time for it....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 6986
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2024 4:49:03 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

yes, all true...but, where's your inner child?...heroes?...i became a vikes fan in 1970 and all through the '70s those vikings players were my players...i wouldn't trade/cut one of them, and was brokenhearted when we traded carl eller and alan page...i never knew, nor was I interested in their ages - they could play forever in my world....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 6987
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2024 11:37:23 AM   
David Levine

You can’t be too sentimental.

Look at the 49ers. Montana, Rice, Lott, Haley. None of them finished their careers in SF.

I love the idea of playing for one team and retiring, but in most cases it happens a couple years too late.
Post #: 6988
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2024 12:33:57 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

You can’t be too sentimental.

Look at the 49ers. Montana, Rice, Lott, Haley. None of them finished their careers in SF.

I love the idea of playing for one team and retiring, but in most cases it happens a couple years too late.

Somewhere between getting banged by Cousins over and over again and Chilly dumping Marcus Robinson on Christmas eve.
Post #: 6989
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2024 1:01:33 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

I think the Wilf’s are just rich guys who thought owning a team was a status symbol, and everything they do is for the sake of appearance and squeezing more money out of the cash cow.

The only time they probably care about W’s Vs L’s and other things related to actual football, is if they catch flack from the good old boys network.

Happily paying multiple million for a mediocre QB and signing off on massive inflated contract extensions for “Home town Hero’s”, regardless of their ability to contribute to actual wins in playoff and drive the franchise to the championship Trophy, tells me.. ( they suck, as owners)

Once the Wilf's got a new stadium they received a couple of decades of goodwill from the other owners.
Post #: 6990
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2024 3:10:32 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

yes, all true...but, where's your inner child?...heroes?...i became a vikes fan in 1970 and all through the '70s those vikings players were my players...i wouldn't trade/cut one of them, and was brokenhearted when we traded carl eller and alan page...i never knew, nor was I interested in their ages - they could play forever in my world....

My inner child is entertained and soothed by taking an interest in NFL football and being a fan of the Vikings. Also with old school video games. But when it comes to players - with very few exceptions- they don’t matter to me much. I’m a grown-up.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6991
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2024 5:54:55 PM   
jbusse

quote:

You really want the Wilfs micromanaging Kwesi's personnel decisions? If so, then that says a lot more about Kwesi's ability as a GM than the Wilfs as owners.
Post #: 6992
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2024 6:54:56 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

If I owned this team, you are god damn right the GM and his contract Decisions are under my control.

How is that “ micro management “.

If I own an NFL franchise, my priority is winning and all the extra marketing and exposure the franchise gets for being a winner..

Not giving home town discounts, and fan favorite contacts out to wannabes and hasbeens or neverwillbes , out of “ loyalty” to non-ROI type players..

F that.

Build a winner and reap the financial rewards like the Patriots, cowboys , 49ers, Pukers and so on.

GM is MY EMPLOYEE.. THE MONEY IS MINE TO USE AS I SEE FIT..including his fn salary.. put UP or GTFOOHWTS

It’s not HIS Monopoly Money TO PLAY WITH.

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 1/13/2024 9:58:08 PM >

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 6993
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2024 7:06:01 PM   
jbusse

quote:

If I owned this team, you are god damn right the GM and his contract Decisions are under my control.

How is that “ micro management “.

If I own an NFL franchise, my priority is winning and all the extra marketing and exposure the franchise gets for being a winner..

Not giving home won discounts and fan favorite contacts out to wannabes and hasbeens or neverwillbes , out of “ loyalty” to non-ROI type players..

F that.

Build a winner and reap the financial rewards like the Patriots, cowboys , 49rs Pukers and so on.

GM is MY EMPLOYEE.. THE MONEY IS MINE TO USE AS I SEE FIT..including his fn salary.. put UP or GTFOOHWTS

It’s not HIS Monopoly Money TO PLAY WITH.

It's the definition. The Wilfs know real estate, not football.
Post #: 6994
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2024 8:02:24 PM   
Todd M

It’s all kind of stupid and pointless.

Except on rare occasion teams are own, ran, and in employ of a collection of out of town people that didn’t grow up fans of the team.

I thought it sounded callous at 1st the thoughts that the players, for the most part, don’t matter. But at the end of the day they’re just a bunch of millionaires we don’t know that are temporary. They’re not local, we don’t have a say and just have to live with bad picks or fits. And none of them really care about us.

Most fans don’t even get my home my team sentiment.
Post #: 6995
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2024 8:39:30 PM   
Ricky J

It does sound callous
Post #: 6996
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2024 9:31:17 PM  1 votes
beo

It's hard for me to understand the Wilf backlash.

So many of us have suffered through the real shitty owners of this franchise.

The gang of 10 was absolutely horrible... no interest in anything but profit.
McCombs was the ultimate grifter... bought in, invested nothing... sold for huge profit.

The Wilfs kept the Vikings in MN... it was a REAL possibility they would leave.
New stadium.
Premium facilities.
Willing to spend to keep players.
Willing to spend to bring in free agents.

I get it... they aren't football people... they aren't the Rooney's or Maras.

But I've seen a hell of a lot worse.
Post #: 6997
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2024 9:55:54 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

I the end, as a fan.. I see no difference..

The money…And market drives the owners, not what fans want..

It’s a microcosm of and similar to many things in our lives..

We, as Vikings fans are more heavily invested in this franchise, than any “ owner” who has near shed a drop of sweat or blood for our team

Gang of ten, Mccoombs, the Wilf’s.. all cut from the same cloth, and we just cling to he ragged threads, dragged from season to season with nothing but frustration and stitched together with the elusive hope that someday, it will be “ our turn”..

Always so close..
As yet, never there.

Get off my lawn.. this soap box is mine!

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 6998
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/14/2024 8:58:23 AM  1 votes
Brad H

quote:

I the end, as a fan.. I see no difference..

The money…And market drives the owners, not what fans want..

It’s a microcosm of and similar to many things in our lives..

We, as Vikings fans are more heavily invested in this franchise, than any “ owner” who has near shed a drop of sweat or blood for our team

Gang of ten, Mccoombs, the Wilf’s.. all cut from the same cloth, and we just cling to he ragged threads, dragged from season to season with nothing but frustration and stitched together with the elusive hope that someday, it will be “ our turn”..

Always so close..
As yet, never there.

Get off my lawn.. this soap box is mine!

If you want to own the team, scrape together your money and make an offer.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 1/14/2024 9:05:36 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 6999
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/14/2024 9:40:57 AM  1 votes
Daniel Lee Young

Stfu. Brad.. go over rate some shitty Juco’s on your Shitty YT channel..

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 7000
Page:   <<   < prev  278 279 [280] 281 282   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  278 279 [280] 281 282   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode