Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  297 298 [299] 300 301   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 7:27:42 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

The times are a changin'. Perhaps we need a safe space thread.

Until we have that, maybe just not read the shit that triggers you.

I'm pretty sure that Bill and Dan aren't my biggest fans, but I love reading what they have to say.

My current “saddle burrs” are the people who think resigning KFC is the way forward..

KFC himself, KOC and his KFC only offense, KAM and his wishy washy “ day trader” draft strategy, and cap hell caused by the crap idea of extending “ fan Favorites.”.

I run hot and cold on Flores..

All it takes is watching him switch to a three man rush, out of a good scheme that has dominated a team, all game, for me to want his head on a platter.

3rd and 10 + when you have a tem on the ropes and a mile behind the sticks is not the time to drop 8 into coverage..

You FN pound them with what has put them there.

I had a bad feeling when the Bears took Poles out of the running, leaving us with Queasy. Poles did what had to be done and blew it up right away. Now the Bears are in axgreat position. When Queasy came in talking about a competitive rebuild, I knew that sustained mediocrity.

I think we're like Pitt, NO, Sea. Teams that never tore it down and are now just knocking on the new 7 team playoff door or one n done if they get in.

Mediocrity is about right. Actually kind of painful to watch because most of us hard core fans know were simply not good enough.

Like these other teams mentioned, keep acting like we are a piece or two away and as a result remain in cap hell as the team continues to age.

Great rundown.

Wilf's are happy fans eat up quips like one in early Dec saying the 6-6 Vikings 'just' need to win out to secure the NFCN. Nevermind playing your best ball in December while finishing 1-4, the competitive rebuild is working!

Chiefs, Ravens, Niners & Lions.

Which of these teams tore it down to get to where they are?

All four of them. And all four of them moved on from their current chosen QB to take a chance on a young talent. In San Fran's case - they did that multiple times.

Moving on from current qb... absolutely... the Chiefs had the KC equivalent in Alex Smith... good enough to go to the playoffs and do nothing.

Dare to find a difference maker and move on from a guy who has proven his ceiling.

However, I wouldn't call that tearing it down.

ymmv

Yes it’s not easy to define or identify an official tear down but all four teams had a terrible win/loss record in a recent or somewhat recent season prior to their current success.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 7451
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 8:06:46 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm pretty sure that Bill and Dan aren't my biggest fans, but I love reading what they have to say.

My current “saddle burrs” are the people who think resigning KFC is the way forward..

KFC himself, KOC and his KFC only offense, KAM and his wishy washy “ day trader” draft strategy, and cap hell caused by the crap idea of extending “ fan Favorites.”.

All it takes is watching him switch to a three man rush, out of a good scheme that has dominated a team, all game, for me to want his head on a platter.

3rd and 10 + when you have a tem on the ropes and a mile behind the sticks is not the time to drop 8 into coverage..

I had a bad feeling when the Bears took Poles out of the running, leaving us with Queasy. Poles did what had to be done and blew it up right away. Now the Bears are in axgreat position. When Queasy came in talking about a competitive rebuild, I knew that sustained mediocrity.

I think we're like Pitt, NO, Sea. Teams that never tore it down and are now just knocking on the new 7 team playoff door or one n done if they get in.

Mediocrity is about right. Actually kind of painful to watch because most of us hard core fans know were simply not good enough.

Like these other teams mentioned, keep acting like we are a piece or two away and as a result remain in cap hell as the team continues to age.

Great rundown.

Wilf's are happy fans eat up quips like one in early Dec saying the 6-6 Vikings 'just' need to win out to secure the NFCN. Nevermind playing your best ball in December while finishing 1-4, the competitive rebuild is working!

All four of them. And all four of them moved on from their current chosen QB to take a chance on a young talent. In San Fran's case - they did that multiple times.

Moving on from current qb... absolutely... the Chiefs had the KC equivalent in Alex Smith... good enough to go to the playoffs and do nothing.

Dare to find a difference maker and move on from a guy who has proven his ceiling.

ymmv

Yes it’s not easy to define or identify an official tear down but all four teams had a terrible win/loss record in a recent or somewhat recent season prior to their current success.

Houston pretty much tore it down and their future looks fairly bright. They finally got tired of spending a mountain of cash on diva defensive linemen and realized they needed a quarterback to compete.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 1/25/2024 8:08:23 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 7452
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 8:52:28 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Great rundown.

ymmv

Houston pretty much tore it down and their future looks fairly bright. They finally got tired of spending a mountain of cash on diva defensive linemen and realized they needed a quarterback to compete.

Will Anderson was a high draft pick. So not entirely true.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 7453
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 9:12:45 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Great rundown.

ymmv

Good point on defining a teardown. It doesn't appear Kwesi is going to tear it down to the studs. But a few things are significant:

Letting a big money QB walk without a viable replacement/backup could indicate a new direction or cap woes that in turn are forcing changes. Or roster turnover. We'll probably sign some of our own players heading to free agency, but for now here are the pre-Kwesi holdovers:

Mattison, Ham, Jefferson
Darrisaw, O'Neill, Bradbury

Jones, Metellus, Bynum, Smith

Joseph (K)

Regardless, Mark Wilf's "competitive rebuild" is just another BS Wilf marketing term right up there with the Triangle of Authority. They have been at this almost 20 years and are still football novices but pros at putting butts in seats.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/25/2024 9:52:01 AM >
Post #: 7454
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 10:00:59 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Great rundown.

ymmv

Will Anderson was a high draft pick. So not entirely true.

Rookie contract. Tell me what Watt and Clowney were making. Anderson was an obvious choice in the draft once the Texans rid themselves of the big contracts from the past. He was part of the rebuild process.

Post #: 7455
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 10:14:40 AM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Great rundown.

ymmv

Chiefs may not have torn it down, but they did have their "Cousins" in Alex Smith but decided to trade up from 27th to 10th to take Mahomes. Our team, on the other hand, was content with Cousins and passed on many alternative quarterback opportunities every year since Cousins has been on the team. Simply put, they were okay with their mediore QB while the Chiefs were not. They gambled on Mahomes and won. We've gambled on no one and have lost.
Post #: 7456
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 10:34:29 AM   
Phil Riewer

Jeff Diamond Roadmap on Souhan show:
ReSigning Cousins to 2/45 and 3/90 not out of realm. Tannehill, Brissett, Rudolph, and Minshew are the others in a weak FA QB group. If not done by March 11th; Atlanta and others are interested in Kirk.
Resign Hunter 25-27 year.
Get TJ healthy.
Resign JJ which would clear 10 million in cap room
Fix IOL pass protect issues
Make Ty Chandler starter/Mattison backup
Fix CB (Only 5 Ints as a group). Murphy a solid 2 not a #1 CB. His and Blackmons injuries hurt late but neither a true #1.
Young Safeties in Metellus and Bynum made a lot of big plays but also gave up a ton---might have something to do with CB issue.

Other
FA and Draft have to Hit (#1 CB, Wonnum?, Hicks?) Talked about Hamilton and McDuffie miss in 2022.
He likes Penix, Nix, and McCarthy and might have to draft one of 3 at #11.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/25/2024 10:35:56 AM >

Post #: 7457
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 11:02:45 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ReSigning Cousins to 2/45 and 3/90 not out of realm. Tannehill, Brissett, Rudolph, and Minshew are the others in a weak FA QB group. If not done by March 11th; Atlanta and others are interested in Kirk.
Get TJ healthy.
Fix CB (Only 5 Ints as a group). Murphy a solid 2 not a #1 CB. His and Blackmons injuries hurt late but neither a true #1.
Young Safeties in Metellus and Bynum made a lot of big plays but also gave up a ton---might have something to do with CB issue.

Other
FA and Draft have to Hit (#1 CB, Wonnum?, Hicks?) Talked about Hamilton and McDuffie miss in 2022.

Really put himself out there on those too, huh?
Post #: 7458
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 11:29:22 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Diamond had an eye for talent. Most of his time in the NFL was during the pre-salary cap era, but the cap kicked in during his GM/VP reign. I don't think he ever realized there was a cap. His spending made Kwesi look like a penny pincher and ushered in the term 'cap hell'.
Post #: 7459
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 11:34:28 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Get TJ healthy.

Other

Really put himself out there on those too, huh?

Yeah for sure....didn't mention really anyone to draft or sign.

Post #: 7460
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 11:35:53 AM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark C. Johnson

Chiefs may not have torn it down, but they did have their "Cousins" in Alex Smith but decided to trade up from 27th to 10th to take Mahomes. Our team, on the other hand, was content with Cousins and passed on many alternative quarterback opportunities every year since Cousins has been on the team. Simply put, they were okay with their mediore QB while the Chiefs were not. They gambled on Mahomes and won. We've gambled on no one and have lost.

yep
Post #: 7461
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 11:39:01 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Diamond had an eye for talent. Most of his time in the NFL was during the pre-salary cap era, but the cap kicked in during his GM/VP reign. I don't think he ever realized there was a cap. His spending made Kwesi look like a penny pincher and ushered in the term 'cap hell'.

The only difference is that there was a ton of talent on those teams.....Diamond had the 98 team with 8-9 Pro Bowlers.....bringing it back made more sense.

Post #: 7462
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 11:49:15 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

The only difference is that there was a ton of talent on those teams.....Diamond had the 98 team with 8-9 Pro Bowlers.....bringing it back made more sense.

Yet he bailed after '98 for Tennessee. Smart, since most of the pro-bowlers were past their prime.

Moss of course was just a rookie pro-bowler. IMO he was pivotal to the whole thing. The year before Moss arrived they were 9-7. Drafting Moss wasn't even due to an eye for talent, but involved so-called risk. Green was probably behind the Moss selection.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/25/2024 12:05:34 PM >
Post #: 7463
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 12:45:12 PM  1 votes
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

You are the one being offended by others trashing his faith.

I do it..

And since he is the face of the franchise and publicly comments on his connection to his personal beliefs, it is open season…

I really do not think KFC.. cares..what mere fans or others think of him..

He used “ faith” to justify endangering others and missing games by refusing “ for personal faith and belief reasons, “ to get a Covid shot.

That makes him an idiot.

QED.

There are actual people that still believe the shot prevented the spread of covid.

The amount and vocalness of people with no clue how the human immune system and what a vaccine is actually for, far outweighs the ones who paid attention in biology classes in school.

No child left behind.. perfect attendance, but bad grades and no understanding of class content?
You!! ..get a participation trophy anyway.. next!!

Gotta stay with the herd of sheepeople..

Just got back from my first Medicare "Annual Wellness Visit"

Want a covid booster? no thanks
Post #: 7464
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 1:29:45 PM   
David Levine

Report: Vikings wouldn’t ’bat an eye’ at steep price to move up for QB
“If they’re going to take one, it’s going to be someone we love or we’re not doing it."

If the Vikings are going to get one of the top quarterbacks in April's draft, they will likely have to put together a significant package to move up. According to the Star Tribune's Ben Goessling, Minnesota's front office "understand" what it will cost them.

“If they’re going to take one, it’s going to be someone we love or we’re not doing it," Goessling told KFAN's Paul Allen Tuesday. "If you have to give up a couple first-round picks for future years, I don’t think they’d bat an eye at that.”

The Vikings have the No. 11 pick but with the QB-needy Bears, Commanders and Patriots holding the top three picks, Minnesota is seemingly well out of position to get their QB of the future. At least that’s the case if they have eyes for Caleb Williams, Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels.

"They have certainly looked at this as 'we need to get the guy that we can plant our flag with for the next 10 years and if it costs a lot to do that, so be it,'" continued Goessling. "I don't think they're going to limp in on this, so to speak, and be like, 'Well, if it's QB5 and we're kind of OK with him let's take him anyway.'"

In 2023 the Panthers traded their first- and second-round picks (No. 9 and No. 61) in the 2023 draft along with their first-round pick in 2024, second-round pick in 2025 and receiver D.J. Moore for the No. 1 overall pick.

If Minnesota is going to trade up into the top three it's going to take something similar. The Vikings currently have their next three first- and second-round picks though they lack players who could be valuable trade chips.

"You have to have [the trade compensation] be enough that whoever may feel the same way about those quarterbacks that you do says 'This is better,'" continued Goessling. "You have to give somebody enough that either New England or Washington says 'No, we're OK passing up on a guy that we think can be a great player for a long time.' And maybe they won't see it the same way, that would help the Vikings out. But you have to figure somebody else will. So you have to outbid all them and make the Commanders or Patriots say, 'As much as we like this guy it's hard to pass up this kind of a package.' It would cost a lot and you're probably going to pay a premium to get up and get one of those guys given the way the board breaks for a lot of these teams that need quarterbacks."

This wouldn't be the first time the current Vikings front office has contemplated moving up. Minnesota reportedly looked into trading up for one of the top QBs last year but were unable to pull of a deal.

"They looked at it last year. They probably didn't have quite enough capital to get up to three or four [to get Anthony Richardson]. Richardson, Stroud, Young, they liked all three of them," Goessling said.

The draft is 92 days away. Time will tell if the Vikings are able put together a big enough package to get their next quarterback.

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethesports/vikings/report-vikings-wouldnt-bat-an-eye-at-steep-price-to-move-up-for-qb
Post #: 7465
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 1:33:06 PM   
David Levine

“There’s two great quarterback mysteries in this offseason in the NFL,” NBC Sports’ Peter King said on “The Cook & Joe Show” on January 23. “One is Kirk Cousins. Because he will not go back to Minnesota on a one-year contract."

“A lot of people are going to say, ‘Wow, he’s going to be 36 [years old] next year, coming off a torn Achilles. Do we want to commit to him for two years,’” King said. “I would if I were a team. But we’re also talking two years, $90 million, which is excessive. But it’s also the market. So I’m not saying it’s a bad deal or a bad idea.”

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/nfl_insider_drops_bombshell_report_on_vikings_kirk_cousins/s1_17150_39861792
Post #: 7466
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 3:30:56 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

Get TJ healthy.

Other

My take on his roadmap:

1. No to Cousins. Any experienced QB will do on a one year contract. We're not winning the SB next year so it doesn't really matter who the QB is.
2. Yes to Hunter.
3. Yes to JJ.
4. Seems to me we need a new center but that may not be possible.
5. Cut Mattison. Make Ty Chandler the backup and draft/sign a starter. The running back position was a big problem this past year. We got very little production out of it and I'm not convinced that Chandler is starting material.
6. CB...don't draft high. We've spent a ton of draft choices and have little to show for the investments. I'd rather try and find a suitable free agent and draft low with upside. Honestly, I really think the D-Line needs an overhaul. Especially, nose tackle or interior D-line. No talent there at the moment.
7. I like Wonnum. Keep him. Hicks...just a guy.
8. QB...I haven't really decided except I don't really like Nix. Everyone else we need to kick the tires on...hell, kick the tires on Nix too, no harm in learning more1
Post #: 7467
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 3:35:17 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

“There’s two great quarterback mysteries in this offseason in the NFL,” NBC Sports’ Peter King said on “The Cook & Joe Show” on January 23. “One is Kirk Cousins. Because he will not go back to Minnesota on a one-year contract."

“A lot of people are going to say, ‘Wow, he’s going to be 36 [years old] next year, coming off a torn Achilles. Do we want to commit to him for two years,’” King said. “I would if I were a team. But we’re also talking two years, $90 million, which is excessive. But it’s also the market. So I’m not saying it’s a bad deal or a bad idea.”

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/nfl_insider_drops_bombshell_report_on_vikings_kirk_cousins/s1_17150_39861792

Two years $90 million? No way in hell. If that's the market, then let some other team get taken to the cleaners.
Post #: 7468
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 3:37:00 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

I do it..

And since he is the face of the franchise and publicly comments on his connection to his personal beliefs, it is open season…

He used “ faith” to justify endangering others and missing games by refusing “ for personal faith and belief reasons, “ to get a Covid shot.

That makes him an idiot.

QED.

There are actual people that still believe the shot prevented the spread of covid.

The amount and vocalness of people with no clue how the human immune system and what a vaccine is actually for, far outweighs the ones who paid attention in biology classes in school.

No child left behind.. perfect attendance, but bad grades and no understanding of class content?

good for you....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 7469
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 5:03:12 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark C. Johnson

quote:

Two years $90 million? No way in hell. If that's the market, then let some other team get taken to the cleaners.

KFCs so-called value may be in the high 30s. If he gets $90 million for two years, his team can join the list saddled with bad QB contracts... NY-Daniel Jones, Ari-Murray, Den-Wilson, Phi-Hurts, NO-Carr, etc.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/25/2024 5:05:38 PM >
Post #: 7470
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 5:05:23 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I do it..

That makes him an idiot.

QED.

good for you....

Why would that be good for him?

Post #: 7471
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 5:16:24 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I do it..

That makes him an idiot.

QED.

good for you....

Why would that be good for him?

It's in many ways a political issue that belongs in the Politics thread. While of strong opinion, I'll refrain from posting something that could be a slap in the face to personal beliefs. Willpower.
Post #: 7472
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 5:30:13 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Great rundown.

Niners and Lions did. Cheifs had a good team and trading up for Mahommes put them over the top.

Balt is a team that never tore it down and have been able to retool on the fly. But I'd call them more of an outlier with their ability to get it done. Both Balt and KC have drafted really well. I have zero confidence Kwesi can do this. Thus far his drafting has been awful.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 7473
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 5:45:53 PM   
Jeff Jesser

5. Cut Mattison. Make Ty Chandler the backup and draft/sign a starter. The running back position was a big problem this past year. We got very little production out of it and I'm not convinced that Chandler is starting material.

I put a lot of that on KOC too. We sucked at running the ball last year and they basically did nothing to fix it. A bunch of games he didn't even stick with it long to see if that game it would start working.
Post #: 7474
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 7:37:44 PM   
beo

quote:

Niners and Lions did. Cheifs had a good team and trading up for Mahommes put them over the top.

Balt is a team that never tore it down and have been able to retool on the fly. But I'd call them more of an outlier with their ability to get it done. Both Balt and KC have drafted really well. I have zero confidence Kwesi can do this. Thus far his drafting has been awful.

Niners were 13-3 in 2019.
Had 1 down year of 6-10 in 2020.
That 2020 team still had lots of talent... they still planned on using in place QB of Garapolo and didn't offload players.
Bounced back and had winning records since.
They absolutely went out and did what it took to take a shot at a franchise qb.
But I wouldn't consider that tearing down.
ymmv

Lions never had anything to tear down. ;-)
They oddly traded for a QB probably not many wanted and it worked out in part because of nailing multiple drafts.
Love for Vikings to nail drafts.
Less interested in revitalizing a vet qb.
ymmv

You could argue both these teams embraced "competitive rebuild".
They were just good at it.

Vikes have sucked at it.

< Message edited by beo -- 1/25/2024 7:56:50 PM >
Post #: 7475
Page:   <<   < prev  297 298 [299] 300 301   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  297 298 [299] 300 301   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode