Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  298 299 [300] 301 302   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2024 11:58:49 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

You are the one being offended by others trashing his faith.

I do it..

And since he is the face of the franchise and publicly comments on his connection to his personal beliefs, it is open season…

I really do not think KFC.. cares..what mere fans or others think of him..

He used “ faith” to justify endangering others and missing games by refusing “ for personal faith and belief reasons, “ to get a Covid shot.

That makes him an idiot.

QED.

There are actual people that still believe the shot prevented the spread of covid.

The amount and vocalness of people with no clue how the human immune system and what a vaccine is actually for, far outweighs the ones who paid attention in biology classes in school.

No child left behind.. perfect attendance, but bad grades and no understanding of class content?
You!! ..get a participation trophy anyway.. next!!

Gotta stay with the herd of sheepeople..

Just got back from my first Medicare "Annual Wellness Visit"

Want a covid booster? no thanks

good for you....

Why would that be good for him?

It's in many ways a political issue that belongs in the Politics thread. While of strong opinion, I'll refrain from posting something that could be a slap in the face to personal beliefs. Willpower.

No way.
Post #: 7476
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 1:23:41 AM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

5. Cut Mattison. Make Ty Chandler the backup and draft/sign a starter. The running back position was a big problem this past year. We got very little production out of it and I'm not convinced that Chandler is starting material.

I put a lot of that on KOC too. We sucked at running the ball last year and they basically did nothing to fix it. A bunch of games he didn't even stick with it long to see if that game it would start working.

We certainly stuck with Mattison for too long. And reached to get him. Just like Irv Smith. This team still has the stink of Spielman, always two steps behind his contemporaries. Olineman don't sell tickets, but I'd rather have a great OLine instead of an expensive, fan favorite RB.

Everybody talks about Mr. Irrelevant, last pick in the draft, Brock Purdy. Isiah Pacheco was selected 10 spots before him. Obviously this is hindsight, but why do we struggle to find that diamond in the rough? I think I know why. It's because we haven't figured out how to build a modern day, winning football team. We think mediocre RB's and TE's are important enough to spend up for. They are not.

The Lions shed themselves of Hockenson and Swift. And they replaced them with cheap rookies, LaPorta and Gibbs. We gave the bag to a Lions castoff. I'm not a big fan of drafting a RB early, but their other RB is better than anything we have. And he (Montgomery) runs hard. That matters, so is said.

Pacheco, Hill, Edwards, McCaffrey, Montgomery and Gibbs are all in the Conference Championship. Good luck finding another McCaffrey. Meanwhile the Ravens are without their two best RB's.

Timmy Smith and Pierre Thomas have Super Bowl rings. Hell, Smith has a Super Bowl rushing record.

Fix that shit (Jeff Diamond) in the front (OL) and teach/coach your cheap RB how to pick up the blitz. There are 100 RB's ready to do that. It's literally the easiest and cheapest position to fill in the NFL.

< Message edited by JT2 -- 1/26/2024 1:36:26 AM >
Post #: 7477
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 2:16:00 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Falcons hire former Rams DC Raheem Morris as coach: What happened to Bill Belichick?....The Athletic

https://theathletic.com/5228388/2024/01/25/raheem-morris-falcons-head-coach/

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 7478
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 7:20:30 AM  3 votes
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

You are the one being offended by others trashing his faith.

I do it..

And since he is the face of the franchise and publicly comments on his connection to his personal beliefs, it is open season…

I really do not think KFC.. cares..what mere fans or others think of him..

He used “ faith” to justify endangering others and missing games by refusing “ for personal faith and belief reasons, “ to get a Covid shot.

That makes him an idiot.

QED.

There are actual people that still believe the shot prevented the spread of covid.

The amount and vocalness of people with no clue how the human immune system and what a vaccine is actually for, far outweighs the ones who paid attention in biology classes in school.

No child left behind.. perfect attendance, but bad grades and no understanding of class content?
You!! ..get a participation trophy anyway.. next!!

Gotta stay with the herd of sheepeople..

Just got back from my first Medicare "Annual Wellness Visit"

Want a covid booster? no thanks

good for you....

Why would that be good for him?

It's in many ways a political issue that belongs in the Politics thread. While of strong opinion, I'll refrain from posting something that could be a slap in the face to personal beliefs. Willpower.

You are welcome any time over there. With such a strong opinion, I'll be expecting your arrival.

TEASER
Smallpox
Polio
Measles
Mumps
Rubella

All eradicated by vaccination. COVID-19, closing in. Thank you modern medicine.

Unfortunately, stupidity is still running wild with no known cure.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 1/26/2024 7:40:50 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 7479
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 7:59:42 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

Falcons hire former Rams DC Raheem Morris as coach: What happened to Bill Belichick?....The Athletic

https://theathletic.com/5228388/2024/01/25/raheem-morris-falcons-head-coach/

Atlanta probably realized Bill Belichick's time has passed.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 7480
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 8:23:22 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark C. Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Jeff Diamond Roadmap on Souhan show:
ReSigning Cousins to 2/45 and 3/90 not out of realm. Tannehill, Brissett, Rudolph, and Minshew are the others in a weak FA QB group. If not done by March 11th; Atlanta and others are interested in Kirk.
Resign Hunter 25-27 year.
Get TJ healthy.
Resign JJ which would clear 10 million in cap room
Fix IOL pass protect issues
Make Ty Chandler starter/Mattison backup
Fix CB (Only 5 Ints as a group). Murphy a solid 2 not a #1 CB. His and Blackmons injuries hurt late but neither a true #1.
Young Safeties in Metellus and Bynum made a lot of big plays but also gave up a ton---might have something to do with CB issue.

Other
FA and Draft have to Hit (#1 CB, Wonnum?, Hicks?) Talked about Hamilton and McDuffie miss in 2022.
He likes Penix, Nix, and McCarthy and might have to draft one of 3 at #11.

My take on his roadmap:

1. No to Cousins. Any experienced QB will do on a one year contract. We're not winning the SB next year so it doesn't really matter who the QB is.
2. Yes to Hunter.
3. Yes to JJ.
4. Seems to me we need a new center but that may not be possible.
5. Cut Mattison. Make Ty Chandler the backup and draft/sign a starter. The running back position was a big problem this past year. We got very little production out of it and I'm not convinced that Chandler is starting material.
6. CB...don't draft high. We've spent a ton of draft choices and have little to show for the investments. I'd rather try and find a suitable free agent and draft low with upside. Honestly, I really think the D-Line needs an overhaul. Especially, nose tackle or interior D-line. No talent there at the moment.
7. I like Wonnum. Keep him. Hicks...just a guy.
8. QB...I haven't really decided except I don't really like Nix. Everyone else we need to kick the tires on...hell, kick the tires on Nix too, no harm in learning more1

Do you consider the CAP at all?

Do you know cutting Mattison only saves you 600K with $4 Million DEAD cap? He's not worth much, but cutting him does almost no good except open a roster spot that you have to pay someone else to fill. I'm OK with him as the 2nd or 3rd back for 1 year, then he's gone.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 7481
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 8:44:39 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Is there anything Mattison gives value at.

Does he do anything that creates value on offense?

I’m struggling with that…

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 7482
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 9:42:23 AM   
Jeff Jesser

This team still has the stink of Spielman, always two steps behind his contemporaries.

While I admit I'm as glad as anyone that RS is gone, has KAM done anything that makes you think he isn't cut from the same cloth? Or, at least, has no plan to be different?

We were all geeked of this new regime and "change". Yet, here we are running it back again. KAM's first plan was bring it all back. Now we seem to be leaning on trying to bring KC's back

Why did we even bother getting rid of RS????
Post #: 7483
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 10:09:55 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

If.. they bring back KFC..

The chance we have to get out of cap hell, by biting a few bullets and laying a foundation for a greater than mediocre future, goes right out the window into a trash can.

I’ve seen enough of this game by this franchise to know that this is going nowhere..

KAM has I more shot at doing something meaningful in a draft, or he can GTFO..

When I look at our cap, I see cuts that would be easy to make.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 7484
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 10:26:34 AM   
Ricky J

Objectively speaking, what do you think the chances are of KC signing with the Vikings?

Id say less than 50% and if he does it ain't going to be near 30, which Ive seen batted around here
Post #: 7485
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 10:32:48 AM   
Ricky J

You know people even if it was smoke and mirrors the Vikings did win 13 games year 1

And look at all the negative things that happened to this team this season. Yes, sh!t happens. But still. Hard to say the plan they had in place wasnt enough to still be playing without the bad luck. I can hear it now but you can't convince me otherwise.

Yet we act like we're the new old Lions

edit: that's not saying, there's not a lot of work to be done

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 1/26/2024 10:58:47 AM >
Post #: 7486
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 10:46:23 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

I put a lot of that on KOC too. We sucked at running the ball last year and they basically did nothing to fix it. A bunch of games he didn't even stick with it long to see if that game it would start working.

We certainly stuck with Mattison for too long. And reached to get him. Just like Irv Smith. This team still has the stink of Spielman, always two steps behind his contemporaries. Olineman don't sell tickets, but I'd rather have a great OLine instead of an expensive, fan favorite RB.

Everybody talks about Mr. Irrelevant, last pick in the draft, Brock Purdy. Isiah Pacheco was selected 10 spots before him. Obviously this is hindsight, but why do we struggle to find that diamond in the rough? I think I know why. It's because we haven't figured out how to build a modern day, winning football team. We think mediocre RB's and TE's are important enough to spend up for. They are not.

The Lions shed themselves of Hockenson and Swift. And they replaced them with cheap rookies, LaPorta and Gibbs. We gave the bag to a Lions castoff. I'm not a big fan of drafting a RB early, but their other RB is better than anything we have. And he (Montgomery) runs hard. That matters, so is said.

Pacheco, Hill, Edwards, McCaffrey, Montgomery and Gibbs are all in the Conference Championship. Good luck finding another McCaffrey. Meanwhile the Ravens are without their two best RB's.

Timmy Smith and Pierre Thomas have Super Bowl rings. Hell, Smith has a Super Bowl rushing record.

Fix that shit (Jeff Diamond) in the front (OL) and teach/coach your cheap RB how to pick up the blitz. There are 100 RB's ready to do that. It's literally the easiest and cheapest position to fill in the NFL.

Great post. The Cook-Mattison duo was really good. I had high hopes for the running game with Mattison and Oliver blocking, sort of a smashmouth change of pace to the passing game.

Fast forward to Chandler. He is still tease. It shouldn't take 2-3 years to see if a RB has it... yes to include picking up the blitz which he looks clueless about. And yes RBs are found all over the place. It's time we found one that impresses right out of the gate.
Post #: 7487
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 10:58:20 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Inside running---he can't run a sweep or off tackle to say his life and he is a better receiver then most but we never throw to him.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/26/2024 10:59:28 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 7488
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 10:58:34 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark C. Johnson

quote:

Jeff Diamond Roadmap on Souhan show:
ReSigning Cousins to 2/45 and 3/90 not out of realm. Tannehill, Brissett, Rudolph, and Minshew are the others in a weak FA QB group. If not done by March 11th; Atlanta and others are interested in Kirk.
Resign Hunter 25-27 year.
Get TJ healthy.
Resign JJ which would clear 10 million in cap room
Fix IOL pass protect issues
Make Ty Chandler starter/Mattison backup
Fix CB (Only 5 Ints as a group). Murphy a solid 2 not a #1 CB. His and Blackmons injuries hurt late but neither a true #1.
Young Safeties in Metellus and Bynum made a lot of big plays but also gave up a ton---might have something to do with CB issue.

Other
FA and Draft have to Hit (#1 CB, Wonnum?, Hicks?) Talked about Hamilton and McDuffie miss in 2022.
He likes Penix, Nix, and McCarthy and might have to draft one of 3 at #11.

My take on his roadmap:

1. No to Cousins. Any experienced QB will do on a one year contract. We're not winning the SB next year so it doesn't really matter who the QB is.
2. Yes to Hunter.
3. Yes to JJ.
4. Seems to me we need a new center but that may not be possible.
6. CB...don't draft high. We've spent a ton of draft choices and have little to show for the investments. I'd rather try and find a suitable free agent and draft low with upside. Honestly, I really think the D-Line needs an overhaul. Especially, nose tackle or interior D-line. No talent there at the moment.
7. I like Wonnum. Keep him. Hicks...just a guy.
8. QB...I haven't really decided except I don't really like Nix. Everyone else we need to kick the tires on...hell, kick the tires on Nix too, no harm in learning more1

Do you consider the CAP at all?

Do you know cutting Mattison only saves you 600K with $4 Million DEAD cap? He's not worth much, but cutting him does almost no good except open a roster spot that you have to pay someone else to fill. I'm OK with him as the 2nd or 3rd back for 1 year, then he's gone.

Curious why you capitalized dead since the net result, as you point out, is a $600K savings. A couple of months ago after it was apparent he wasn't starter quality I posted what you are saying, that we have him for a year for basically nothing. Thought he could be the short yardage backup. But he struggles even at that.

Keep him as the 3rd back for what is essentially less than the veteran minimum or apply the 600K to a rookie or FA, either way is fine.

He can be the designated blitz picker-upper.
Post #: 7489
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 11:06:28 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

Inside running---he can't run a sweep or off tackle to say his life and he is a better receiver then most but we never throw to him.

He had some crucial drops this year. KC game was a TD, although we still might have scored TD after that.
Post #: 7490
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 11:10:55 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

Would you trust him to pick up key short yardage?

Or follow his blockers?
Post #: 7491
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 11:17:26 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

Or follow his blockers?

McBride must have really been unimpressive if he couldn't make our 53.
Post #: 7492
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 11:24:21 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Or follow his blockers?

I want to upgrade the run game even with Chandler starting....Irving in middle rounds.
Maybe Mattison isn't suited well for anything....but a playcall to run a sweep with him; you may as well have Ham run it.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 7493
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 11:26:13 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

This team still has the stink of Spielman, always two steps behind his contemporaries.

While I admit I'm as glad as anyone that RS is gone, has KAM done anything that makes you think he isn't cut from the same cloth? Or, at least, has no plan to be different?

We were all geeked of this new regime and "change". Yet, here we are running it back again. KAM's first plan was bring it all back. Now we seem to be leaning on trying to bring KC's back

Why did we even bother getting rid of RS????

At the risk of sounding like a Spielman apologist (aka nitwit)

2012 Kalil, Harry cb Robinson, wr Wright, te Ellison, s Blanton, k Walsh, dl Guyton
2013 Floyd, Rhodes, Patterson, Hodges, Locke, Baca, Mauti, Bond, Dawkins
2014 Barr, Teddy, de Crichton, McKinnon, Yankey, Exum, cb James, DT Stephen, Watts, Price
2015 Waynes, Kendricks, Hunter, Clemmings, Pruitt, Diggs, ot Thompson, de DuBose, ot Shephard, lb Robinson

2016 the dreaded Treadwell Bofinger draft (actually cb Alexander, dl Weatherly, s Kearse were ok).

2017 Outside of Kalil, Spielman somehow decided that drafting OL early was unnecessary (maybe because of Kalil?). Until 2017 when he essentially started building our current OL.

The bottomline, Spielman never signed, traded or drafted a QB to match some of the other talent he was accumulating. He tried with Bradford, Teddy and Cousins but none worked out. Cousins had the most arm talent but he was exactly opposite of the type of QB needed for a Zimmer team.

Although I think Cousins is a very good fit for KOC, he is a short term answer ... and expensive on a rebuilding team ... and a concern in big games, a support person, not an instigator of success. That's what 12 years clearly indicates.

Kwesi's Vikings career is going to hang on resigning or not signing Cousins.

Which is a shame because we went through that with Spielman, with much better drafts / roster than Kwesi has put together so far.
Post #: 7494
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 11:30:07 AM   
David Levine

Absolutely. And I used to post about it all the time.

Spielman was quite good at drafting with two MASSIVE blind spots. Fatal flaws, really.

He almost never drafted O-Linemen before the 5th round, and he couldn't (or wouldn't) draft QBs.
Post #: 7495
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 11:45:30 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Phase One - Out with the old, almost there. Bye Harrison Smith, Cousins, Hunter(?).
Phase Two - In with the new, give it a few years. Hello 2026... if Kwesi hits on everything

Needs/talent upgrades
Offense: QB, G, C, WR3, RB.
Defense: Multiple players at multiple positions like NT, DE, ILB, Edge, CB, safety with range.
Post #: 7496
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 11:49:56 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Given how low the bar is for talent, my hope is Blackmon can become a solid #2 CB.
Post #: 7497
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 11:55:29 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

As good as Addison was (70/911/10), what if you take LaPorta (and let Hutch walk) or maybe Levis and then take Nacua (105/1486/6) in the 4th or 5th?
Post #: 7498
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 12:08:51 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

As good as Addison was (70/911/10), what if you take LaPorta (and let Hutch walk) or maybe Levis and then take Nacua (105/1486/6) in the 4th or 5th?

You can play that game every year. Rams passed on Nacua a few times during draft.

I'm sure there was a 2nd or 3rd round LB who didn't come close to Pace Jr.'s production.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 1/26/2024 12:10:20 PM >
Post #: 7499
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 12:11:25 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You can play that game every year. Rams passed on Nacua a few times during draft.

Right. But I'm not ready to give Kwesi the benefit of the doubt when it comes to team building yet.

(Nor am I convinced that Addison is a bigger impact player than LaPorta - not to mention signing JJ is easier without Hock's deal.)
Post #: 7500
Page:   <<   < prev  298 299 [300] 301 302   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  298 299 [300] 301 302   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode