Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  299 300 [301] 302 303   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 12:17:01 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Given how low the bar is for talent, my hope is Blackmon can become a solid #2 CB.

I think he can. He showed some flashes and got some experience at playing corner in the NFL. He's only going to get better. Are we done with Booth?
Post #: 7501
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 12:23:11 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

5. Cut Mattison. Make Ty Chandler the backup and draft/sign a starter. The running back position was a big problem this past year. We got very little production out of it and I'm not convinced that Chandler is starting material.

I put a lot of that on KOC too. We sucked at running the ball last year and they basically did nothing to fix it. A bunch of games he didn't even stick with it long to see if that game it would start working.

We certainly stuck with Mattison for too long. And reached to get him. Just like Irv Smith. This team still has the stink of Spielman, always two steps behind his contemporaries. Olineman don't sell tickets, but I'd rather have a great OLine instead of an expensive, fan favorite RB.

Everybody talks about Mr. Irrelevant, last pick in the draft, Brock Purdy. Isiah Pacheco was selected 10 spots before him. Obviously this is hindsight, but why do we struggle to find that diamond in the rough? I think I know why. It's because we haven't figured out how to build a modern day, winning football team. We think mediocre RB's and TE's are important enough to spend up for. They are not.

The Lions shed themselves of Hockenson and Swift. And they replaced them with cheap rookies, LaPorta and Gibbs. We gave the bag to a Lions castoff. I'm not a big fan of drafting a RB early, but their other RB is better than anything we have. And he (Montgomery) runs hard. That matters, so is said.

Pacheco, Hill, Edwards, McCaffrey, Montgomery and Gibbs are all in the Conference Championship. Good luck finding another McCaffrey. Meanwhile the Ravens are without their two best RB's.

Timmy Smith and Pierre Thomas have Super Bowl rings. Hell, Smith has a Super Bowl rushing record.

Fix that shit (Jeff Diamond) in the front (OL) and teach/coach your cheap RB how to pick up the blitz. There are 100 RB's ready to do that. It's literally the easiest and cheapest position to fill in the NFL.

As good as Addison was (70/911/10), what if you take LaPorta (and let Hutch walk) or maybe Levis and then take Nacua (105/1486/6) in the 4th or 5th?

You can play that game every year. Rams passed on Nacua a few times during draft.

Right. But I'm not ready to give Kwesi the benefit of the doubt when it comes to team building yet.

(Nor am I convinced that Addison is a bigger impact player than LaPorta - not to mention signing JJ is easier without Hock's deal.)

Okay. I see your point on where we should be prioritizing cap space.

Kwesi needs a huge year. Hit on QBOTF and find 3 to 4 other impact players(draft, FA). He has to keep up with the Joneses(GB,DET,CHI) or he will be gone next off season.
Post #: 7502
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 12:52:24 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

Given how low the bar is for talent, my hope is Blackmon can become a solid #2 CB.

I think he can. He showed some flashes and got some experience at playing corner in the NFL. He's only going to get better. Are we done with Booth?

Done for sure with the DB coach, however there doesn't appear to be one besides an assistant. Or the coach was quietly let go in the last couple of weeks.

https://www.vikings.com/team/coaches-roster/

Maybe that's why Evans regressed, Booth is stagnant in the murk, and Murphy failed to do much.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/26/2024 1:03:13 PM >
Post #: 7503
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 12:59:52 PM   
Bill Johanesen

There are multiple variables, but a lousy secondary contributed greatly to being last in the NFL in completion percentage (70.3%) allowed. It's crazy to think that 17 QBs lined up and on average completed 7 out of every 10 passes.
Post #: 7504
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 1:38:38 PM   
beo

20th anniversary of Wilfs owning the franchise.

Made the playoffs 7 times.

Sadly, they don't know how to put an NFL organization together.

Depressing.
Post #: 7505
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 2:14:17 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

Depressing.

Besides getting a new stadium, the ultimate highlight of their 20 year tenure had to be hosting the Giants in the playoffs. Win-win.
Post #: 7506
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 2:25:26 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

Depressing.

Besides getting a new stadium, the ultimate highlight of their 20 year tenure had to be hosting the Giants in the playoffs. Win-win.

I think (just my opinion) the Wilfs have tried to be good owners.
I personally think they do want to win... maybe too much, not allowing for a build vs quick fix.

They have spent money.
Stadium.
Free agents.

But their track record sucks.

2009 is so far away... that is probably the last (and one of the few) times I thought the Vikes were truly the best team in the league.
Post #: 7507
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 2:29:22 PM   
marty

Here's a Mock that has the Vikings trading with Chicago for the #1 pick:

https://share.newsbreak.com/5zz90srd

.... for Drake Maye !!!

Anyone like Maye enough that they would consider this ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 7508
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 2:40:03 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

.... for Drake Maye !!!

No.

Maybe for Williams though.
Post #: 7509
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 2:48:05 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

.... for Drake Maye !!!

More importantly, our WR coach McCardell is OC for the NFC Pro Bowl flag football team.

Certainly on a fast track for a HC position (of the flag football team).

Keep our fingers crossed.
Post #: 7510
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 3:22:03 PM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

.... for Drake Maye !!!

No.

quote:

Trade: Bears get Nos. 11, 42, 126, and 2025 first and second-round pick; Vikings get No. 1 and 2025 sixth-round pick

Can’t see that being enough.

I predict there will be tons of buzz about Chicago trading out once they’re on the clock. Then they announce we’re shipping #11 25/26/27 1st round picks. For Williams.

I just hope we don’t get squeezed for an additional 2nd somewhere.
Post #: 7511
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 3:39:01 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

.... for Drake Maye !!!

Anyone like Maye

enough that they would consider this ?

I like Maye a lot, but I think we could open up defenses in different ways with Williams. I’d make a big trade for either guy.
Post #: 7512
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 6:29:12 PM   
Tom Sykes

Is there any circumstance where Chicago would be willing to trade their first rd pick to us?

No. Under any circumstance.

If for some lame reason they want to trade out, there will be multiple non-NFC North bidders higher than #11.

We would not trade JJ to a division rival, a blue chip possible franchise QB would be even dumber.
Post #: 7513
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 6:43:12 PM   
David Levine

Per Darren Wolfson of KSTP in the Twin Cities, tight end T.J. Hockenson has not yet had surgery to repair the torn ACL and MCL in his knee because the swelling has not yet gone down enough for the surgery to be performed. This could, potentially, have a significant impact on his status for the start of the 2024 season.

There is a possibility that he may miss the month of September.
Post #: 7514
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 11:45:36 PM   
JT2

quote:

Per Darren Wolfson of KSTP in the Twin Cities, tight end T.J. Hockenson has not yet had surgery to repair the torn ACL and MCL in his knee because the swelling has not yet gone down enough for the surgery to be performed. This could, potentially, have a significant impact on his status for the start of the 2024 season.

That sucks for him first, and us. Get ready for another reach overdraft of a couple more TE's.
Post #: 7515
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2024 11:46:58 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

Is there any circumstance where Chicago would be willing to trade their first rd pick to us?

No. Under any circumstance.

If for some lame reason they want to trade out, there will be multiple non-NFC North bidders higher than #11.

We would not trade JJ to a division rival, a blue chip possible franchise QB would be even dumber.

If the circumstances were reversed, we would probably do it.
Post #: 7516
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2024 1:35:38 AM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

quote:

.... for Drake Maye !!!

No.

quote:

Trade: Bears get Nos. 11, 42, 126, and 2025 first and second-round pick; Vikings get No. 1 and 2025 sixth-round pick

I predict there will be tons of buzz about Chicago trading out once they’re on the clock. Then they announce we’re shipping #11 25/26/27 1st round picks. For Williams.

I do think the Bears will deal. I think they think they have their QB, and I tend to agree. 24 year old, athletic as fukc QB just getting better. Finally paired with one top-level WR. Fields is going to end up being really good.

Nobody wants to play QB in Chicago. I bet Williams would frown if the Bears drafted him.

If we pay Cousin's ransom, he still might be the worst QB in our division in 2024. For sure he's the oldest, and we have already seen his upside.
Post #: 7517
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2024 2:50:13 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

That sucks for him first, and us. Get ready for another reach overdraft of a couple more TE's.

we should have kept ben sims, rookie from baylor - he's a packer now....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 7518
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2024 3:46:53 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

.... for Drake Maye !!!

No.

quote:

I do think the Bears will deal. I think they think they have their QB, and I tend to agree. 24 year old, athletic as fukc QB just getting better. Finally paired with one top-level WR. Fields is going to end up being really good.

Nobody wants to play QB in Chicago. I bet Williams would frown if the Bears drafted him.

If we pay Cousin's ransom, he still might be the worst QB in our division in 2024. For sure he's the oldest, and we have already seen his upside.

i'd pay 4-years' worth of first-rounders for the guy that o'connell wants...

someone, somewhere, imagined the vikings trading up to numbers #1-3, then trading jefferson for another #1-3 (and more) pick and selecting a top QB and marvin harrison jr....

cheap qb and cheap wr...and many of your draft picks back through the trades....

what's the point of paying Jefferson big bucks when you're going with an unproven qb?...could be several years before the qb gets it together - if ever....

this would be a total balls-out move by kwesi -- maybe the most daring and wild draft move ever....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 1/27/2024 4:13:08 AM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 7519
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2024 7:00:42 AM   
TJSweens

If the Bears deal #1, I doubt they go back farther than #4. If they are sticking with Fields, they will want a to pair him with a top receiver. After the top 3 teams take QBs, that leaves them in position to take Harrison.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 7520
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2024 8:48:55 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

.... for Drake Maye !!!

No.

quote:

i'd pay 4-years' worth of first-rounders for the guy that o'connell wants...

someone, somewhere, imagined the vikings trading up to numbers #1-3, then trading jefferson for another #1-3 (and more) pick and selecting a top QB and marvin harrison jr....

cheap qb and cheap wr...and many of your draft picks back through the trades....

what's the point of paying Jefferson big bucks when you're going with an unproven qb?...could be several years before the qb gets it together - if ever....

this would be a total balls-out move by kwesi -- maybe the most daring and wild draft move ever....

If this was the Seven movie, you'd be the gluttony victim.

Moving up into the top ten ... like 4 or 5 spots from our #11 would be miraculous, unprecedented for us. Much less more than that.

I see Kirk on a three year deal, two guaranteed ... resigning Wonnum who will immediately be designated as ‘ahead of schedule in his rehab’ ... drafting a CB #1 as the backbone of a strategy that will have Kevin and Kwesi slapping each other’s butts in their yearly war room ‘stick to our plan’ ritual.

They are just too smart to have missed on Hall so he remains our long term answer.

To this point our team building approach has zeroed in on S [cine - top draft pick] then TE [hock - top trade] then TE [oliver - one of our top FA signings] then waterbug WR [addison - top draft pick]) ... given Hock’s ‘not even started rehab’ situation and KOCs lust for the position, having another check down option in rds 2-3 is perfectly justified.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 1/27/2024 8:50:07 AM >
Post #: 7521
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2024 10:02:17 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

There is also the possibility he may never be the same player again.

Not even considering the injury Kwesi got completely played by Det GM. Giving up 3 picks for the right to make Hock the highest paid TE in lue of a TE rich draft was just flat out stupid.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 7522
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2024 10:17:55 AM   
Todd M

Maybe we should be hesitant in enriching a divisional rival with picks but Poles should be willing to let us get what we want.

Kwesi’s thinking: I’ll do anything. Pay any price.

Poles thinking: I can take this sucker to the cleaner. Sure they might get a great QB but this idiot doesn’t know how to build a roster while I can polish my team up real good with the picks.
Post #: 7523
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2024 10:21:49 AM   
Todd M

Why do I want to do it? BC Williams can outlast Kwesi and a really good coach would be chomping at the bit to work with Williams.
Post #: 7524
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2024 10:28:01 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

Why do I want to do it? BC Williams can outlast Kwesi and a really good coach would be chomping at the bit to work with Williams.

This line of reasoning is diabolical but somehow practical.

And its cracked open my belief that its impossible for CHI to deal their pick to us.

Its going to be such a long wait for the draft.
Post #: 7525
Page:   <<   < prev  299 300 [301] 302 303   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  299 300 [301] 302 303   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode