Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  317 318 [319] 320 321   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/17/2024 3:01:25 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

As much as a dumpster fire that KAM has been there's not enough flame thrown on RS by the fans as there should be IMO.

At least Spielman was finally fired. And he started out handling the cap pretty well.

Word Salad came out firing away with as many credit cards as he could hide in his sockless penny loafers, then proceeded to whiff with his "Watch how I make the #12 overall pick evaporate" Cine and Booth bust picks.

Yeah, I started that research thinking it was bad but was blown away with how bad it was. This is a HUGE draft for KAM. If he doesn't blow it out of the water he needs to go.

Just the way they are handling the KC's situation is just rookie-ish. He is, essentially, holding them hostage. They commented that they can't work on the Hunter situation until Kirk is sorted. What a dumbass org. They are going to loose for a shitty comp pick.

Why keep either? They'll be too old to play by the time we contend. Instead, either sit out free agency or sign a couple of FAs to long term deals while front-loading their contracts to the max extent.

But yeah, that comment is flat out dumb. Stupid misses the mark because it suggests a mistake. Kwesi & Co. have no common sense nor football smarts.
Post #: 7951
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/17/2024 3:03:57 PM   
David F.

You inspired me to look up that 2016 draft (treadwell). The three big winners in 2016 were: Kansas City getting Chris jones and tyreek hill (they didn’t even have a first rounder that year). Dallas getting zeke, dak, and Jaylon smith. Tennessee getting jack conklin, Derrick Henry and Kevin byard.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 7952
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/17/2024 3:06:09 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Agree on the upcoming draft. An average draft, by definition, does not move the needle WRT the other teams.
Post #: 7953
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/17/2024 6:02:13 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Agree on the upcoming draft. An average draft, by definition, does not move the needle WRT the other teams.

We're going to have to hit triples or home runs with this offseason. hopefully we get starters at qb, iol, idl, and cb. Anything less will look like a failure in my book.
Post #: 7954
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/17/2024 6:04:58 PM   
joejitsu

P.S., Henry would look great in our backfield. Third and two would be an automatic first down.
Post #: 7955
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/17/2024 6:48:57 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

P.S., Henry would look great in our backfield. Third and two would be an automatic first down.

We’d pitch it to him to right and attempt a 40 yard downfield shot to Muse. We are the Vikings after all 😜
Post #: 7956
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/17/2024 9:07:25 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

We’d pitch it to him to right and attempt a 40 yard downfield shot to Muse. We are the Vikings after all 😜

I'm afraid we would overpay for him. He's 30, with hard miles, and coming off arguably his worst season ever.
We'd probably just ram him into the back of our OLine over and over. Short yardage hasn't been our OLine's strong suit. Shit, remember when we tried the Viking version of the brotherly shove? How embarrassing was that.

If he could be got cheap, sure, but still draft a 6th round, well scouted RB. I'm so sick of over spending/drafting RB's. It's literally the easiest position to fill.
Post #: 7957
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/17/2024 11:01:23 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

I get it.

Kwesi had visions of signing the next HC / Off playcaller in the mold of McVay (LaFleur, etc) and pounced after the Rams' SB win.

After the GM / HC old school - defensive flavored meltdown ... I was completely on board with the 'fresh new Turk' approach.

Unfortunately, both dudes seem like they are feeling their way through the process, arm in arm.

Neither seem like they came to the table with an aggressive new vision of how to make the Vikings competitive.

We won a hell of a lot of games in 2021. Incredible. But what was the state of the team at the end of 2021 (not the beginning and middle)? We limped into the playoffs and choked to the only team worse than us in the playoffs.

I'm sorry but as a die-hard Vikings fan, any choking that's not in a SB is a very poor showing LOL.

Kevin was an OC-in-title-only in LA for 2 seasons ... on a team, by the way, that had passing and run game coordinators, as well as playcaller McVay.

By most accounts,

Kevin had a big impact on the Rams offense, although I'm not sure if anybody besides McVay knows what that was. The Rams have sucked on offense since Kevin left, that says a lot.

To my eyesight, Kevin must have been very involved in gameplanning and getting the offense ready to play. Calling plays, in game adjustments ... not so much.

Hard to know. Everybody Kevin has played or coached with talks about being very impressed with him.

Maybe he'll make a big jump this season as a playcaller.

But its a jump that needs to be made ... or we just don't have the right person in place. IMO

Was there ever a clear answer on why we didn't hire Harbaugh two years ago? Money? Control?

I dont remember there being a clear answer. But based on the not hiring of Harbaugh’s prickly / hard to work with reputation and the hiring of Collaborator Kevin … personality seems like a bigger factor than experience with success.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 2/17/2024 11:02:29 PM >
Post #: 7958
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/18/2024 7:26:37 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

I get it.

Kwesi had visions of signing the next HC / Off playcaller in the mold of McVay (LaFleur, etc) and pounced after the Rams' SB win.

After the GM / HC old school - defensive flavored meltdown ... I was completely on board with the 'fresh new Turk' approach.

Unfortunately, both dudes seem like they are feeling their way through the process, arm in arm.

Neither seem like they came to the table with an aggressive new vision of how to make the Vikings competitive.

We won a hell of a lot of games in 2021. Incredible. But what was the state of the team at the end of 2021 (not the beginning and middle)? We limped into the playoffs and choked to the only team worse than us in the playoffs.

I'm sorry but as a die-hard Vikings fan, any choking that's not in a SB is a very poor showing LOL.

Kevin was an OC-in-title-only in LA for 2 seasons ... on a team, by the way, that had passing and run game coordinators, as well as playcaller McVay.

By most accounts,

Kevin had a big impact on the Rams offense, although I'm not sure if anybody besides McVay knows what that was. The Rams have sucked on offense since Kevin left, that says a lot.

To my eyesight, Kevin must have been very involved in gameplanning and getting the offense ready to play. Calling plays, in game adjustments ... not so much.

Hard to know. Everybody Kevin has played or coached with talks about being very impressed with him.

But its a jump that needs to be made ... or we just don't have the right person in place. IMO

Was there ever a clear answer on why we didn't hire Harbaugh two years ago? Money? Control?

I dont remember there being a clear answer. But based on the not hiring of Harbaugh’s prickly / hard to work with reputation and the hiring of Collaborator Kevin … personality seems like a bigger factor than experience with success.

I believe Michigan upped his contract.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 7959
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/18/2024 7:42:59 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

That would be extremely unwise. Henry has certainly lasted longer than the average bell cow back but his prime is in the rearview mirror at this stage. He is probably still worth vet minimum as a short yardage back but thats about it.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 7960
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/18/2024 5:26:18 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

I get it.

By most accounts,

I believe Michigan upped his contract.

There’s no way of knowing … but all the specuation at the time by ‘close but unnamed sources’ said Harbaugh went into our interview looking to accept a fair offer from us specifically to coach in the nfl, while our people were just doing their due diligence and following their hiring process.

It was widely reported after our interview, Hatbaugh called Michigan to say he was returning.
Post #: 7961
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/18/2024 5:37:24 PM   
Todd M

Not looking to accept a fair offer, expecting a good offer. A lot of people are saying he was so confident he wasn’t able to read the room. He put his feet up on the dinner table, lit a cigar, and ssid; Let’s get this done and then get some hookers and blow. Am I right Wilfey?
Post #: 7962
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/18/2024 8:46:00 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Not looking to accept a fair offer, expecting a good offer. A lot of people are saying he was so confident he wasn’t able to read the room. He put his feet up on the dinner table, lit a cigar, and ssid; Let’s get this done and then get some hookers and blow. Am I right Wilfey?

Yes thats exactly what I read but I took the dignified route, you went with the more accurate debauched version.

The other commonly speculated part of that is Kwesi pushed for Harbaugh but others in the org said no thanks.

Didn’t take long for Kwesi to jump from Harbaugh to slicing hands with Kevin and taking a blood brother oath.
Post #: 7963
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/18/2024 9:34:40 PM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

Yes thats exactly what I read but I took the dignified route, you went with the more accurate debauched version.

The other commonly speculated part of that is Kwesi pushed for Harbaugh but others in the org said no thanks.

Didn’t take long for Kwesi to jump from Harbaugh to slicing hands with Kevin and taking a blood brother oath.

My thoughts as well. Kwesi misfiring out of the gate essentially.
Post #: 7964
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/18/2024 10:00:31 PM   
Todd M

Who wouldn’t trade the last 2 years for a random do-over with Harbaugh?

Maybe he would have said - I hear what you’re saying but let’s just take the all pro safety no one thought would be available at our spot…
Post #: 7965
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2024 9:22:33 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

If I remember correctly he and many other coaches took a reduced salary due to COVID and zero attendance during the that season...

Post #: 7966
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2024 11:13:24 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

If I remember correctly he and many other coaches took a reduced salary due to COVID and zero attendance during the that season...

Do you remember correctly how that factored into the Harbaugh situation?
Post #: 7967
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2024 11:15:59 AM   
Tom Sykes

Are you saying we wanted a less expensive head coach due the Covid situation?
Post #: 7968
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2024 11:27:35 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

No, I believe he (Jim not Kwesi) was working on getting his contract situation restored to pre Covid whether it was Michigan or the NFL.

Post #: 7969
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2024 11:44:12 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

No, I believe he (Jim not Kwesi) was working on getting his contract situation restored to pre Covid whether it was Michigan or the NFL.

Interesting. I went back and read 3-4 articles from that time period, far from comprehensive, but didn’t see that.

Regardless of the variables, it seems clear that each party walked in with different intentions. Worked out for Michigan, not so much us.
Post #: 7970
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2024 11:47:09 AM   
Tom Sykes

At least yet.
Post #: 7971
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2024 12:11:46 PM   
Jeff Jesser

It’ll be interesting to see how the Chargers do for sure. They haven’t lacked talent and Staley was always the blame.
Post #: 7972
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2024 1:09:22 PM   
Tom Sykes

RE: negotiations on JJs contract

"Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk believes the sticking point is a policy from Vikings ownership about guaranteeing more than one year on new contracts for non-quarterbacks. His claim/report/theory is that the Wilfs have a rule against including full guarantees on future years. They made an exception for Kirk Cousins in 2018, but don't want to do so again. That's the story, at least." https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/florio-contract-structure-sticking-point-vikings-justin-jefferson

Kirk Cousins will probably get ranked by many as a top five MN Viking QB all-time (I don't). Others realize his greatest contribution was burning the franchise enough to eventually make our non-committal shoulder-shrugging ownership pay a little bit of attention to their investment..
Post #: 7973
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2024 1:23:23 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Interesting. I went back and read 3-4 articles from that time period, far from comprehensive, but didn’t see that.

Regardless of the variables, it seems clear that each party walked in with different intentions. Worked out for Michigan, not so much us.

I read for Covid he dropped his salary to 4 million from 8 million...I know PJ took a cut also as there wasn't any fans or as many games.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 2/19/2024 1:27:34 PM >

Post #: 7974
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/19/2024 1:34:57 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

RE: negotiations on JJs contract

"Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk believes the sticking point is a policy from Vikings ownership about guaranteeing more than one year on new contracts for non-quarterbacks. His claim/report/theory is that the Wilfs have a rule against including full guarantees on future years. They made an exception for Kirk Cousins in 2018, but don't want to do so again. That's the story, at least." https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/florio-contract-structure-sticking-point-vikings-justin-jefferson

Kirk Cousins will probably get ranked by many as a top five MN Viking QB all-time (I don't). Others realize his greatest contribution was burning the franchise enough to eventually make our non-committal shoulder-shrugging ownership pay a little bit of attention to their investment..

I would be leery of giving a 35-36 year old player a 2 let alone a 3 year guarantee.

Post #: 7975
Page:   <<   < prev  317 318 [319] 320 321   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  317 318 [319] 320 321   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode