Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  319 320 [321] 322 323   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2024 12:35:55 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

i'm shocked that kwesi is even entertaining 'more davenport'...he must feel pretty desperate regarding the edge - spotrac moved davenport off the roster and down to 'dead cap' - perhaps they missed the extension....

Those sites are probably like "WTF, Minnesota again." They need to hire someone full time just to keep up with the Vikings' crazy void year shenanigans.

I wonder what Brzezinski thinks of all this.

He's gone from financial wizardry to shell games with a pea.

brzzezzinski is going to end up working in vegas as a cap magician - makes money disappear into thin air - faster than interest on the national debt....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 8001
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2024 2:31:43 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Quick looksie and 28 million plus an obvious Dean Lowry cut (no dead cap) frees up another $4,482,345. Nick Mullens being cut frees up $1.8 million. Gaskin and Harry aren't guaranteed contracts either and that would free up another 1.8.

The way things have GONE ... there is no way of knowing who is going to get extended resigned and if that will be reasonably structured.

I mean, you can't get any more litmus testy than Davenport. As far as what we should be doing.

He won't get another guaranteed contract...it would be 1million and incentives based on games played.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 8002
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2024 2:33:02 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

i'm shocked that kwesi is even entertaining 'more davenport'...he must feel pretty desperate regarding the edge - spotrac moved davenport off the roster and down to 'dead cap' - perhaps they missed the extension....

Those sites are probably like "WTF, Minnesota again." They need to hire someone full time just to keep up with the Vikings' crazy void year shenanigans.

brzzezzinski is going to end up working in vegas as a cap magician - makes money disappear into thin air - faster than interest on the national debt....

The cap is very strange anyway....top 51 and you can create weird unreachable incentives. Bobby Bonilla contracts but of course they aren't as many years and have void years instead of deferred salary.

Interesting tidbits on Bobby's contract.
He was cut by Mets while still being owed 5.9.

Believing they were poised to make a significant profit through their investments with Bernie Madoff, Mets ownership instead agreed to defer Bonilla's salary with 8% interest (Which increased the original amount to $29.8 million), and spread the payments across 25 years from 2011-35. Ending up being 1.19 million year on July 1st until his 72nd birthday.

Not only does Bonilla get a check from the Mets; he receives/received 500k yearly from the Orioles from 2004-28.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 2/20/2024 2:40:49 PM >

Post #: 8003
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2024 3:30:33 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

I guess we only have about 9M right now before the new league year kicks in. (sportrac)

Maybe incentives still need to be covered before March 13.

who knows.

Odds are that gets forwarded to next league year....and also those incentives not reached?

The post was referring to Davnport's money being pushed back, not what happens to money left over on the cap now.

(As in, maybe not enough money to tie up all the loose ends before the league year ends, so Davenport's bill was pushed back)

The question I have is why did he not set the contract up initially to expire on the 13th?

He did the same miscue with Tomlinson and had to extend that expiration around this time last year,

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 8004
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2024 4:56:28 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

I guess we only have about 9M right now before the new league year kicks in. (sportrac)

Maybe incentives still need to be covered before March 13.

who knows.

Odds are that gets forwarded to next league year....and also those incentives not reached?

The post was referring to Davnport's money being pushed back, not what happens to money left over on the cap now.

(As in, maybe not enough money to tie up all the loose ends before the league year ends, so Davenport's bill was pushed back)

The question I have is why did he not set the contract up initially to expire on the 13th?

He did the same miscue with Tomlinson and had to extend that expiration around this time last year,

No idea---the mistake was having it expire earlier than it should? I do believe they intended to keep Tomlinson and when they signed Davenport it was a no brainer (that they would resign) but now---not such a sure thing.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 2/20/2024 5:02:06 PM >

Post #: 8005
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2024 6:51:53 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

But when he gets home he sits back and marvels at his Steve Hutchinson Poison Pill statue.
Post #: 8006
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2024 7:05:19 PM   
Jeff Jesser

So, curious what ya'll would do. Listened to a Purple Daily podcast that talked about something I've thought of recently. Lets say you evaluate this years QB's and you think Daniels/May (whoever falls to 3) is a franchise QB. Would you be willing to trade JJ, and whatever picks to get to #3?

You still have the 11 and roll the dice on the franchise QB roulette wheel. You could even take a stud WR at 11 to replace him. BTW - this is not bringing KC's back. You would have:

#3 - hopefully franchise guy on rookie salary
#11 - possible stud WR on rookie deal with Addison in place for cheap or a really good/stud D filler at interior/edge/CB
more picks to fill the D holes
more cap room to round out the D

As much as I love JJ, I think i'd do it.
Post #: 8007
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2024 7:08:12 PM   
Bill Johanesen

May have seen something that said Cousins contract expires ~ March 5, around a week before the FA period begins.

If true, and barring Klueless Kwesi trying for a one-week extension, that's one week closer to saying "Bye-bye" to the face that fleeced the franchise.
Post #: 8008
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2024 7:12:51 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

So, curious what ya'll would do. Listened to a Purple Daily podcast that talked about something I've thought of recently. Lets say you evaluate this years QB's and you think Daniels/May (whoever falls to 3) is a franchise QB. Would you be willing to trade JJ, and whatever picks to get to #3?

You still have the 11 and roll the dice on the franchise QB roulette wheel. You could even take a stud WR at 11 to replace him. BTW - this is not bringing KC's back. You would have:

#11 - possible stud WR on rookie deal with Addison in place for cheap or a really good/stud D filler at interior/edge/CB

So in a trade to #3 the other team would not demand this year's #11 pick as part of the batch of "whatever picks"?

Even with JJ, that's not happening unless the other GM is a dumb as Kwesi.
Post #: 8009
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2024 7:32:32 PM   
Jeff Jesser

That was the theory. Not sure it's feasible though
Post #: 8010
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2024 8:20:24 PM   
Todd M

I think it takes 3 FRP’s to go from 11 to 3. I think it’s safe to say JJ is worth 2.

BCS JJ’s super star status affords you to use JJ and a 2025 #1. Then you could have 1 and 11.
Post #: 8011
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2024 8:21:43 PM   
Todd M

I would do it.
Post #: 8012
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2024 8:26:21 PM   
Todd M

It’ll be interesting to see if/how much the top 3 to 5 shuffle. Already it feels Caleb Williams peaked way too early and is seeing a lot of scrutiny. I think there’s a chance there’s a wave of endorsement for soneone this last leg as the new #1.
Post #: 8013
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2024 8:31:48 PM   
Todd M

Nominee for this years How much are they paying them?! category CBS lists each team’s best franchise tag opportunity and ours is Kirk Cousins.
Post #: 8014
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2024 1:32:10 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

May have seen something that said Cousins contract expires ~ March 5, around a week before the FA period begins.

If true, and barring Klueless Kwesi trying for a one-week extension, that's one week closer to saying "Bye-bye" to the face that fleeced the franchise.

spotrac has this language posted as part of the contract:

"2024-25 years automatically void 3/13/2024 ($28.5M dead cap)"

Post #: 8015
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2024 1:35:29 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

i'd try to trade up and take harrison jr, too...then you'd really have something to build on....

Post #: 8016
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2024 7:11:31 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

i'd try to trade up and take harrison jr, too...then you'd really have something to build on....

I would have zero issues trading away JJ and grabbing Harrison JR and then grabbing QB at 11.

Post #: 8017
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2024 8:05:03 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

I would have zero issues trading away JJ and grabbing Harrison JR and then grabbing QB at 11.

In the scenario above, the decision could be; 1. Top three qb and the third wr taken (not Harrison), or 2. Harrison jr and penix - McCarthy - nix - rattler….

Post #: 8018
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2024 8:28:32 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

In the scenario above, the decision could be; 1. Top three qb and the third wr taken (not Harrison), or 2. Harrison jr and penix - McCarthy - nix - rattler….

Unless you think McCarthy / Pennix is as good as someone like May, no way do I trade up and take Harrison Jr. If you think the QB at #3 is clearly better than M/P, then that's who you take. It's all about getting the guy who has the best chance to be a franchise QB.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 8019
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2024 8:33:06 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Option 2? If you are not trading up for a qb you sure as hell aren’t trading up for a wr.

If Kwevin decides to resign Cousins for 3-4 years and shoot holes through our cap that way (instead of JJ) … which I wouldnt put past them … And only if the big three QBs were out of play. OK then … Trade JJ for Marvin Jr and help the roster with the difference in salary.

That fantasy makes no sense to me either actually.
Post #: 8020
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2024 9:14:37 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Option 2? If you are not trading up for a qb you sure as hell aren’t trading up for a wr.

If Kwevin decides to resign Cousins for 3-4 years and shoot holes through our cap that way (instead of JJ) … which I wouldnt put past them … And only if the big three QBs were out of play. OK then … Trade JJ for Marvin Jr and help the roster with the difference in salary.

Skin a cat any way you want. Trade JJ for a QB and draft an edge or cb at 11. Just get high end talent.....Harrison Jr. doesn't seem like a bad option but there are other WR available later.

Post #: 8021
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2024 9:50:11 AM   
Phil Riewer

Rumor is the salary cap is going from 224.8 to 250 million in 2024.

Post #: 8022
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2024 10:00:48 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Skin a cat any way you want. Trade JJ for a QB and draft an edge or cb at 11. Just get high end talent.....Harrison Jr. doesn't seem like a bad option but there are other WR available later.

Yes.

We have something better than Harrison ... most likely a lot better. Filthy more expensive, yes, but the chances of Harrison being in the top 3 at his position are just okay. Top 10 - pretty good, eventually.

True JJ's a special talent and therefore an outside the box conversation ...

But just the fact that we're talking about gambling on one cornerstone WR vs a cheaper possible cornerstone WR is ... silly IMO.

QB and how to get one. Period. Then Edge, CB, LT.

Even if we trade up using JJ to a get a QB and package it in a way to keep #11, which can't happen in the real world but if it did, we would have to go Edge or CB at #11. WR would be a 3rd (which we don't have right now) or 4th rd consideration after OL and DL. Who knows what picks we would have after moving up. Then after the draft how to extend Darrisaw.

Our dike has been tsunami'ed by Spielman and Kwevin. JJ or Harrison is barely just one little sandbag to consider.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 2/21/2024 10:02:03 AM >
Post #: 8023
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2024 10:05:36 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes.

We have something better than Harrison ... most likely a lot better. Filthy more expensive, yes, but the chances of Harrison being in the top 3 at his position are just okay. Top 10 - pretty good, eventually.

True JJ's a special talent and therefore an outside the box conversation ...

But just the fact that we're talking about gambling on one cornerstone WR vs a cheaper possible cornerstone WR is ... silly IMO.

QB and how to get one. Period. Then Edge, CB, LT.

Even if we trade up using JJ to a get a QB and package it in a way to keep #11, which can't happen in the real world but if it did, we would have to go Edge or CB at #11. WR would be a 3rd (which we don't have right now) or 4th rd consideration after OL and DL. Who knows what picks we would have after moving up. Then after the draft how to extend Darrisaw.

Our dike has been tsunami'ed by Spielman and Kwevin. JJ or Harrison is barely just one little sandbag to consider.

I actually disagree...the offense side will be good next year; the dike is on the defense but add a few thru draft and FA and Flores will have it at top 12 again....

Post #: 8024
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2024 10:07:27 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Rumor is the salary cap is going from 224.8 to 250 million in 2024.

I think our 28M under figure is with a 242M salary cap.

So, it is going up 8M for everybody.

We can get to 60M under with JJ extension(actually lowers his cap number) and other common sense cuts. It will not be a surprise if we make a couple splashes early on in FA.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 2/21/2024 10:14:47 AM >
Post #: 8025
Page:   <<   < prev  319 320 [321] 322 323   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  319 320 [321] 322 323   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode