Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  320 321 [322] 323 324   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2024 10:22:35 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Rumor is the salary cap is going from 224.8 to 250 million in 2024.

I think our 28M under figure is with a 242M salary cap.

So, it is going up 8M for everybody.

We can get to 60M under with JJ extension(actually lowers his cap number) and other common sense cuts. It will not be a surprise if we make a couple splashes early on in FA.

Lowry cut for sure.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 8026
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2024 10:24:53 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

So, curious what ya'll would do. Listened to a Purple Daily podcast that talked about something I've thought of recently. Lets say you evaluate this years QB's and you think Daniels/May (whoever falls to 3) is a franchise QB. Would you be willing to trade JJ, and whatever picks to get to #3?

You still have the 11 and roll the dice on the franchise QB roulette wheel. You could even take a stud WR at 11 to replace him. BTW - this is not bringing KC's back. You would have:

#3 - hopefully franchise guy on rookie salary
#11 - possible stud WR on rookie deal with Addison in place for cheap or a really good/stud D filler at interior/edge/CB
more picks to fill the D holes
more cap room to round out the D

As much as I love JJ, I think i'd do it.

i'd try to trade up and take harrison jr, too...then you'd really have something to build on....

I would have zero issues trading away JJ and grabbing Harrison JR and then grabbing QB at 11.

In the scenario above, the decision could be; 1. Top three qb and the third wr taken (not Harrison), or 2. Harrison jr and penix - McCarthy - nix - rattler….

Option 2? If you are not trading up for a qb you sure as hell aren’t trading up for a wr.

If Kwevin decides to resign Cousins for 3-4 years and shoot holes through our cap that way (instead of JJ) … which I wouldnt put past them … And only if the big three QBs were out of play. OK then … Trade JJ for Marvin Jr and help the roster with the difference in salary.

That fantasy makes no sense to me either actually.

Skin a cat any way you want. Trade JJ for a QB and draft an edge or cb at 11. Just get high end talent.....Harrison Jr. doesn't seem like a bad option but there are other WR available later.

Yes.

We have something better than Harrison ... most likely a lot better. Filthy more expensive, yes, but the chances of Harrison being in the top 3 at his position are just okay. Top 10 - pretty good, eventually.

True JJ's a special talent and therefore an outside the box conversation ...

But just the fact that we're talking about gambling on one cornerstone WR vs a cheaper possible cornerstone WR is ... silly IMO.

QB and how to get one. Period. Then Edge, CB, LT.

Even if we trade up using JJ to a get a QB and package it in a way to keep #11, which can't happen in the real world but if it did, we would have to go Edge or CB at #11. WR would be a 3rd (which we don't have right now) or 4th rd consideration after OL and DL. Who knows what picks we would have after moving up. Then after the draft how to extend Darrisaw.

Our dike has been tsunami'ed by Spielman and Kwevin. JJ or Harrison is barely just one little sandbag to consider.

I actually disagree...the offense side will be good next year; the dike is on the defense but add a few thru draft and FA and Flores will have it at top 12 again....

Yes of course.

I have no idea what to expect. There's a long way to go ... a lot of variables up in the air right now ...
Post #: 8027
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2024 10:30:24 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

We can get to 60M under with JJ extension(actually lowers his cap number) and other common sense cuts. It will not be a surprise if we make a couple splashes early on in FA.

Lowry cut for sure.

Cutting Smith, Lowry and Bradbury frees up 18M.
Post #: 8028
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2024 10:39:39 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Lowry cut for sure.

Bradbury prob won't be cut as they only save 2 M but Lowry and Smith for 16M seem like it. Cutting Gaskin and Harry gets you that 2 million though... LOL

Post #: 8029
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2024 11:05:22 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Lowry cut for sure.

Bradbury prob won't be cut as they only save 2 M but Lowry and Smith for 16M seem like it. Cutting Gaskin and Harry gets you that 2 million though... LOL

I would see what Dallas center Tyler Biadasz wants for a contract. Dallas has a lot of big names looking for raises.
Post #: 8030
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2024 11:07:23 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Lowry cut for sure.

I would see what Dallas center Tyler Biadasz wants for a contract. Dallas has a lot of big names looking for raises.

Can we just call him baddass?

Post #: 8031
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2024 2:13:25 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Lowry cut for sure.

According to Over the Cap, we save 2.5 by cutting Bradbury and 2.1 by cutting Lowry (Sportrac does not show dead money for Lowry).

Cutting them both post 6/1 saves a lot more money on both.

Cutting both based on performance, priceless.
Post #: 8032
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2024 3:38:59 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

So, curious what ya'll would do. Listened to a Purple Daily podcast that talked about something I've thought of recently. Lets say you evaluate this years QB's and you think Daniels/May (whoever falls to 3) is a franchise QB. Would you be willing to trade JJ, and whatever picks to get to #3?

You still have the 11 and roll the dice on the franchise QB roulette wheel. You could even take a stud WR at 11 to replace him. BTW - this is not bringing KC's back. You would have:

#3 - hopefully franchise guy on rookie salary
#11 - possible stud WR on rookie deal with Addison in place for cheap or a really good/stud D filler at interior/edge/CB
more picks to fill the D holes
more cap room to round out the D

As much as I love JJ, I think i'd do it.

i'd try to trade up and take harrison jr, too...then you'd really have something to build on....

I would have zero issues trading away JJ and grabbing Harrison JR and then grabbing QB at 11.

In the scenario above, the decision could be; 1. Top three qb and the third wr taken (not Harrison), or 2. Harrison jr and penix - McCarthy - nix - rattler….

Option 2? If you are not trading up for a qb you sure as hell aren’t trading up for a wr.

If Kwevin decides to resign Cousins for 3-4 years and shoot holes through our cap that way (instead of JJ) … which I wouldnt put past them … And only if the big three QBs were out of play. OK then … Trade JJ for Marvin Jr and help the roster with the difference in salary.

That fantasy makes no sense to me either actually.

Skin a cat any way you want. Trade JJ for a QB and draft an edge or cb at 11. Just get high end talent.....Harrison Jr. doesn't seem like a bad option but there are other WR available later.

Yes.

We have something better than Harrison ... most likely a lot better. Filthy more expensive, yes, but the chances of Harrison being in the top 3 at his position are just okay. Top 10 - pretty good, eventually.

True JJ's a special talent and therefore an outside the box conversation ...

But just the fact that we're talking about gambling on one cornerstone WR vs a cheaper possible cornerstone WR is ... silly IMO.

QB and how to get one. Period. Then Edge, CB, LT.

Even if we trade up using JJ to a get a QB and package it in a way to keep #11, which can't happen in the real world
but if it did, we would have to go Edge or CB at #11. WR would be a 3rd (which we don't have right now) or 4th rd consideration after OL and DL. Who knows what picks we would have after moving up. Then after the draft how to extend Darrisaw.

Our dike has been tsunami'ed by Spielman and Kwevin. JJ or Harrison is barely just one little sandbag to consider.

Double bingo.
Post #: 8033
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2024 3:40:32 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

It would shock me.

OverThe Cap has us at $24.7. Subtract say $3.7 in dead cap for Cook & Co. for a beginning total of $21. There is Smith, Lowry, Bradbury totaling ~ $16. That brings the total to 21 + 16, or 38. Where is the other $22 million to get to $60 via a couple of common sense cuts?

You can include the projected $8 million cap bump for all teams but IMO that's a wash as everyone has it and it just means, like always, higher salaries.

And you have created empty starting spots at DE and C.

Spotrac starts with an adjusted total cap of $251.5 which is the going in allowable cap plus the 2023 rollover.

Anything is possible with enough cuts and void years. To be legit, take a look at the existing roster holes and new holes from your cuts, fill them with salaries for (just) average starters and a couple of your early splash signings (high $ during the initial frenzy), and pay 90% of all their salaries (which mirrors carrying $25M in dead cap if the total cap is $250M) in 2024. My guess is it is clearly not possible to do.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 2/21/2024 4:10:10 PM >
Post #: 8034
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2024 5:51:28 PM   
marty

Is there going to be much interest in Kirk Cousins outside of Minnesota?

Could the Aaron Rodgers situation of last year make some teams gun shy towards signing Kirk ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 8035
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2024 7:30:45 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

It would shock me.

OverThe Cap has us at $24.7. Subtract say $3.7 in dead cap for Cook & Co. for a beginning total of $21. There is Smith, Lowry, Bradbury totaling ~ $16. That brings the total to 21 + 16, or 38. Where is the other $22 million to get to $60 via a couple of common sense cuts?

You can include the projected $8 million cap bump for all teams but IMO that's a wash as everyone has it and it just means, like always, higher salaries.

Spotrac starts with an adjusted total cap of $251.5 which is the going in allowable cap plus the 2023 rollover.

Anything is possible with enough cuts and void years. To be legit, take a look at the existing roster holes and new holes from your cuts, fill them with salaries for (just) average starters and a couple of your early splash signings (high $ during the initial frenzy), and pay 90% of all their salaries (which mirrors carrying $25M in dead cap if the total cap is $250M) in 2024. My guess is it is clearly not possible to do.

There are the obvious starter holes not currently on the books for 2024 ... [7 holes]

QB Cousins, LG Risner, LOLB Hunter, ROLB Wonnum, DE Bullard, ILB Hicks, K Joseph

There are back-up holes not currently on the books for 2024 ... [7 holes]

ROLB (Davenport), LT (Udoh), LG (Reed), C (Schlottmann), RT (Quessenberry), #3 WR (Osborn), #4 WR (Powell)

Plus RFA holes not on the books for 2024 ... [3 holes]

NT Tonga, RB Akers and maybe OL Brandel

There are holes that should be created by responsible GM planning ... [3 holes]

S Smith, DT/DE Lowry, C Bradbury ...

And there are non-financial holes occupied by starters that need to be upgraded (not yet mentioned) ...

QB Mullens, CB(s)

And then there is dead money that is shaped like a hole but weighs the cap down like a lead balloon.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 2/22/2024 8:07:08 AM >
Post #: 8036
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2024 7:22:05 AM   
Tom Sykes

To me that seems like a lot of work to do even without upgrades.
Post #: 8037
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2024 8:10:56 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

It would shock me.

We are at 28 on Sportrac with all Dead Cap, etc factored in, add JJ resigning saves 10M in 2024 cap, Lowry cut saves 4, Smith Cut saves 12, Bradbury or the 2 WR they cut is 2 million more.

Over the cap has us at 24. 56-60 in cap space isn't out of the realm before whatever they do with Kirk, Davenport, and Hunter.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 2/22/2024 8:14:14 AM >

Post #: 8038
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2024 8:25:51 AM   
Tom Sykes

Using a deph chart that shows FAs and RFAs (like Ourlads) … every second stringeris a FA. On top of the starter at LG.

weird.

EDIT: ON THE OL

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 2/22/2024 9:33:59 AM >
Post #: 8039
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2024 9:16:24 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

It would shock me.

I'll use overthecap then. 24M under counts Cook's dead cap.

24 + 8(new cap) + 18(Smith,Lowry, Bradbury) + 5 JJ new deal(cap number is 19M at moment, just say new deal goes down to 14M)

=55M under.

Throw in some other easy cuts and also could possibly designate some cuts Post June 1st. Around 60M

This is all done without kicking can down the road.

If we kick can down road some more(TJ and O'Neill re-structures), we could get into 70-75M under range.

I know this goes in the face of the "Cousins has crippled us for the next 5 years" complaint.

But, we aren't in as bad of shape as it would seem. Lots of holes to fill with some cap space to get some done this year, some next.
Post #: 8040
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2024 10:01:01 AM   
Tom Sykes

I will say this ... its just common sense that there is going to be quite a few changes across the board. At least it feels that way to me (okay, as far as you can get from common sense).

This year more than the last few because we have been repositioning ourselves from the Spielman era and, again it feels to me, like we may start to make some real headway this offseason on a significantly different roster.

Whether its resigning our own FAs and RFs ... signing somebody new as a lateral move ... signing someone new as an upgrade ... the draft ... UDFAs ... extensions (possibly huge even if their current cap number is minimal)

This playing with cap number trading cards doesn't do it. I know its the only semi-useful tool fans have to project ... and fun ...

but its a one dimensional approach IMO and no more accurate at predicting offseason moves than mock drafting. maybe a little bit better than that but not a whole lot.

The regime has a secret plan for every spot on their roster and then some ... and those plans have different timelines and money allotted. Its not just 3D projections but things are fluid and constantly changing depending on signing player X, agreeing to an extension with player, player z hitting his spouse, etc.

EDIT: I should have said signing our own VERSUs signing drafting etc

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 2/22/2024 10:23:39 AM >
Post #: 8041
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2024 10:22:17 AM   
Tom Sykes

This is very superficial because there are so many variables I don't understand ...

but using overthecap to compare GB and MN cap situations ... they are in a world of hurt with big contracts. Nine contracts over 12M then everybody else under 4M. Bakhtiari with a 40M cap number (19M if they cut him).

-5.2M in free space. dead money is 15M so that's not bad.

Lions and Bears are very good. They disgust me.
Post #: 8042
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2024 11:57:48 AM   
Phil Riewer

There was a “seed planted” at the Senior Bowl with the #Patriots by the #Vikings,
@DWolfsonKSTP
mentioned on
@SKORNorth

Wolfson is not suggesting that talks have advanced, but preliminary inquiries questioning “is there any sort of interest on your front to move off the number 3 pick” were introduced.

Post #: 8043
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2024 12:11:08 PM   
David Levine

quote:

There was a “seed planted” at the Senior Bowl with the #Patriots by the #Vikings,
@DWolfsonKSTP
mentioned on
@SKORNorth

Wolfson is not suggesting that talks have advanced, but preliminary inquiries questioning “is there any sort of interest on your front to move off the number 3 pick” were introduced.

I would hope Kwesi would ask all the teams near the top of the draft that same question. It would be incredibly irresponsible not to.
Post #: 8044
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2024 12:47:29 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

@DWolfsonKSTP
mentioned on
@SKORNorth

I would hope Kwesi would ask all the teams near the top of the draft that same question. It would be incredibly irresponsible not to.

Especially since it may be necessary to trade up to even get McCarthy.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 8045
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2024 1:23:48 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It would shock me.

We are at 28 on Sportrac with all Dead Cap, etc factored in, add JJ resigning saves 10M in 2024 cap, Lowry cut saves 4, Smith Cut saves 12, Bradbury or the 2 WR they cut is 2 million more.

Over the cap has us at 24. 56-60 in cap space isn't out of the realm before whatever they do with Kirk, Davenport, and Hunter.

Right off the bat subtract 4 million.

Lowry only saves 2. And cutting two bottom of the barrel WRs who are signed for a million each is a complete wash since they have to be replaced. Even a 5th rounder like Roy makes about a million per.
Post #: 8046
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2024 1:27:11 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It would shock me.

There are the obvious starter holes not currently on the books for 2024 ... [7 holes]

QB Cousins, LG Risner, LOLB Hunter, ROLB Wonnum, DE Bullard, ILB Hicks, K Joseph

ROLB (Davenport), LT (Udoh), LG (Reed), C (Schlottmann), RT (Quessenberry), #3 WR (Osborn), #4 WR (Powell)

And there are non-financial holes occupied by starters that need to be upgraded (not yet mentioned) ...

QB Mullens, CB(s)

And then there is dead money that is shaped like a hole but weighs the cap down like a lead balloon.

So with the three cuts some are recommending, there are 10 (ten) vacant starting positions: QB Cousins, LG Risner, LOLB Hunter, ROLB Wonnum, DE Bullard, ILB Hicks, K Joseph, S Smith, DT/DE Lowry, C Bradbury.

There are also ten (10) vacant backup positions: ROLB (Davenport), LT (Udoh), LG (Reed), C (Schlottmann), RT (Quessenberry), #3 WR (Osborn), #4 WR (Powell), NT Tonga, RB Akers and maybe OL Brandel.

That looks like 10 starters and 10 backups need to be signed. $50 million isn't going to do it unless it's bargain basement/street urchins. AND JJ's contract is backloaded into the years where we might be competitive and need cap.

This is akin to Monopoly where someone who is low on money cashes in their hotels, houses, and property. They now have more money but have nothing to show for it.
Post #: 8047
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2024 1:37:11 PM   
Bill Johanesen

So, create more holes and go cheap on 1-2 year contracts which = a roster with a lot of scrubs. Essentially treading water.

Trading JJ would likely net $30-35 million on average for the next 4-5 years. Coupled with much less dead cap/void year money (if Kwesi doesn't go nuts this offseason) and we are sitting pretty good for 2025.

If we could hit on a couple of low-priced FAs AND have a draft that's worth a damn this year and next we might have a competitive roster. A big ask.
Post #: 8048
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2024 2:04:17 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It would shock me.

QB Mullens, CB(s)

So with the three cuts some are recommending, there are 10 (ten) vacant starting positions: QB Cousins, LG Risner, LOLB Hunter, ROLB Wonnum, DE Bullard, ILB Hicks, K Joseph, S Smith, DT/DE Lowry, C Bradbury.

There are also ten (10) vacant backup positions: ROLB (Davenport), LT (Udoh), LG (Reed), C (Schlottmann), RT (Quessenberry), #3 WR (Osborn), #4 WR (Powell), NT Tonga, RB Akers and maybe OL Brandel.

That looks like 10 starters and 10 backups need to be signed. $50 million isn't going to do it unless it's bargain basement/street urchins. AND JJ's contract is backloaded into the years where we might be competitive and need cap.

This is akin to Monopoly where someone who is low on money cashes in their hotels, houses, and property. They now have more money but have nothing to show for it.

Top 51 minus minimum contract that is factored in....
Reed, Schlottman, Powell, Quessberry, etc. signings may not change the cap but a couple to a few million....

Example: A 3 million contract wouldn't actually be 3 million against the cap---minimum is 800k. So it would be 2.2 million cap increase.

Post #: 8049
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2024 3:29:38 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It would shock me.

QB Mullens, CB(s)

Top 51 minus minimum contract that is factored in....
Reed, Schlottman, Powell, Quessberry, etc. signings may not change the cap but a couple to a few million....

Example: A 3 million contract wouldn't actually be 3 million against the cap---minimum is 800k. So it would be 2.2 million cap increase.

And apply the percentage of the 2023 to 2024 cap increase to those numbers. Actually to all the signings. Can't have it both ways.

Probably a 25 million or 10% jump. Bad year to have at least 20 new contracts.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 2/22/2024 3:34:19 PM >
Post #: 8050
Page:   <<   < prev  320 321 [322] 323 324   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  320 321 [322] 323 324   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode