Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  323 324 [325] 326 327   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/24/2024 2:13:52 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

the underlying question to all of these conversations is: do we try to win now and stretch out the credit card accounting, or blow it up and try to win in a few years?

Do we try to win now and stretch out the credit card accounting? We are talent deficient in too many areas to win now, regardless of the credit cards.

As far as blowing it up, everyone has a different interpretation of that. IMO it includes trading away talented players to gain draft picks and cap space. Kind of a non-starter because there are so few players on the team with that talent. Who fits the criteria?

- Darrisaw, no. Don't trade a very good, young LT primarily because he protects the QB's blind spot.
- Hock, no. Doubt we get comparable picks in return. Who would do that with his salary, especially after his injury? He's not in the mix.
- Pace, no. Just started his rookie contract, potentially part of the future.
- Blackmon, no. Just started his rookie contract, potentially part of the future.

- O'Neill, a likely no. Trade bait, but who would want to fork over picks and take on his salary.
- JJ, yes. Discussed ad nausem.

Besides JJ, barring being foolish, or finding a really stupid GM to deal with, we don't have assets to blow anything up! Your criteria may vary.

I suppose we could look at it as a competitive blowup.

Right now we have a roster with the players you just mentioned and a bunch of smithereens.

Maybe ... Kwesi has disguised his intentions so well ... like a GM Columbo ... that we'll find ourselves in 2025 flush with cash and a bundle of young players ready for ascension.

Or not. This offseason is going to be a wild ride I think.
Post #: 8101
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/24/2024 2:31:17 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Not advocating this, but perhaps another way to "blow it up" is to just shred salaries. I think Smith and Lowry are gone. Depending on the cap hits, that gets into cutting Murphy (FA after this season with $4.2 million in void money), Oliver, Phillips (FA after this season), Bradbury, etc.

Might be better to simply let the contracts for Murphy and Phillips expire after this year. Then cut Oliver (FA after 2025, $2.8 million in void money) and Bradbury (FA after 2025, $1.6 million in void money) next offseason.

We'll likely be paying void money regardless.

So IMO there isn't much to gain this year with those four. And we already have enough holes as it is with the upcoming wage increase.
Post #: 8102
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/24/2024 2:37:07 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

the underlying question to all of these conversations is: do we try to win now and stretch out the credit card accounting, or blow it up and try to win in a few years?

Do we try to win now and stretch out the credit card accounting? We are talent deficient in too many areas to win now, regardless of the credit cards.

As far as blowing it up, everyone has a different interpretation of that. IMO it includes trading away talented players to gain draft picks and cap space. Kind of a non-starter because there are so few players on the team with that talent. Who fits the criteria?

- Darrisaw, no. Don't trade a very good, young LT primarily because he protects the QB's blind spot.
- Hock, no. Doubt we get comparable picks in return. Who would do that with his salary, especially after his injury? He's not in the mix.
- Pace, no. Just started his rookie contract, potentially part of the future.
- Blackmon, no. Just started his rookie contract, potentially part of the future.

- O'Neill, a likely no. Trade bait, but who would want to fork over picks and take on his salary.
- JJ, yes. Discussed ad nausem.

Besides JJ, barring being foolish, or finding a really stupid GM to deal with, we don't have assets to blow anything up! Your criteria may vary.

I suppose we could look at it as a competitive blowup.

Right now we have a roster with the players you just mentioned and a bunch of smithereens.

Maybe ... Kwesi has disguised his intentions so well ... like a GM Columbo ... that we'll find ourselves in 2025 flush with cash and a bundle of young players ready for ascension.

Or not. This offseason is going to be a wild ride I think.

Competitive blowup, nice.

Maybe Kwesi can institute competitive void years. Competitive draft pick busts. No end to it.
Post #: 8103
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/24/2024 3:00:47 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Trade JJ.
Try to trade O'Neill.

Definitely cut Smith and Lowry (because he sucks) this year.
Definitely cut Oliver, Bradbury, Ham, Cine, and Booth next year.

That would leave Darrisaw and Hock as the big $$ players.

Regardless, Kwesi ABSOLUTELTY HAS to hit on a bunch of draft picks this year and next.
Post #: 8104
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/24/2024 6:25:00 PM   
ratoppenheimer

what if we draft a qb in the 1st round, and he turns out to be a first-season phenom, but the team can't gain traction because we blew up the rest of the roster and traded jefferson?....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 8105
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/24/2024 6:32:52 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

what if we draft a qb in the 1st round, and he turns out to be a first-season phenom, but the team can't gain traction because we blew up the rest of the roster and traded jefferson?....

Yeah, then all we'd have is a brilliant young QB to build a team around.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 8106
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/24/2024 7:51:22 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 8107
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/24/2024 9:00:36 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

With some cap relief.. and most important to me…

No KFC unless it’s deep fried and in a red and white bucket!

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 8108
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/25/2024 12:20:07 PM   
Ricky J

ESPN: NFL salary cap rises $30.6 million to record $255.4 million per team

- oh oh, looks like it might be a little easier to sign everyones favorite QB ...
Post #: 8109
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/25/2024 1:13:45 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

- oh oh, looks like it might be a little easier to sign every ones favorite QB ...

That's what I think.

I've been saying it since last offseason ...

I don't think Kwesi and Kevin have the vision or cajones to come up with their own answer at the position. So I don't see them moving on from Cousins. In spite of the numbers which made resigning him prohibitive.

30M is just a drop in the bucket for what it will take to make this team a competitor but its probably all the excuse they need to keep treading water with Cousins.

Depressing. I was hoping for better from a new regime.
Post #: 8110
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/25/2024 1:44:43 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

- oh oh, looks like it might be a little easier to sign everyones favorite QB ...

Biote.. me..!!

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 8111
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/25/2024 1:53:07 PM   
kgdabom

Here's a link to Blake Proehl's Idol audition. I may have missed it being posted before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywkumtU1oMU

He's pretty good.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 8112
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/25/2024 1:53:35 PM   
stfrank

quote:

quote:

- oh oh, looks like it might be a little easier to sign every ones favorite QB ...

That's what I think.

I've been saying it since last offseason ...

I don't think Kwesi and Kevin have the vision or cajones to come up with their own answer at the position. So I don't see them moving on from Cousins. In spite of the numbers which made resigning him prohibitive.

30M is just a drop in the bucket for what it will take to make this team a competitor but its probably all the excuse they need to keep treading water with Cousins.

Depressing. I was hoping for better from a new regime.

Looking like we will have to wait for the next new regime.....this one is all about treading water.
Post #: 8113
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/25/2024 5:07:12 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Or that record windfall makes it easier to absorb his dead cap hit... bye, bye Kirk!
Post #: 8114
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/25/2024 5:24:38 PM   
Bill Johanesen

The unprecedented $30 million increase per club in this year's Salary Cap is the result of the full repayment of all amounts advanced by the clubs and deferred by the players during the Covid pandemic as well as an extraordinary increase in media revenue for the 2024 season.

How ironic and delicious that no-vaccine Cousins has to leave his hog trough because of... COVID!
Post #: 8115
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/25/2024 9:44:44 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

The big picture is how to get better with any significance. With a thin roster, not a lot of resources, and people in charge that have been making below average personnel and draft decisions. And without handcuffing our cap in the future (like we have been the last 3 years at least).

Versus the simplified, ‘we can create 60M by making some simple moves and then we’re in a good position.

Nobody is saying we won’t sign FAs. We don’t have any choice … we simply dont have enough players, decent or otherwise at this point in time.

I've said that. We can get there without creating anymore dead cap or void years.

And yes, I do say make a splash in FA. Get a top corner for 18M per and it improves 3 positions with one move. Moving Murphy to #2 and Blackmon to nickel. With Evans being a special team/injury fill in guy. Get another difference maker($$$) at DLine and then do some bargain hunting.

It won't all get done in one year but you can fill some important holes the 1st year. Then, 2025 the void years and dead cap diminish and you have some more cap space.

Of course, the main way to improve this team is in the draft(because you need to have some starters who have small cap numbers) and finding QBOTF. If that doesn't happen, nothing we accomplished in FA will put us in a situation where we can start being a top team.
Post #: 8116
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2024 1:51:53 AM   
ratoppenheimer

apart from qb drafted early, i hope that kwesi puts most of his free agent and draft energy into the d-line and o-line...cut bradbury and move ingram to backup where he belongs...three new interior o-linemen...add a fa top tier and 2nd tier dt and draft a couple of linemen on each side of the ball....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 8117
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2024 6:14:02 AM   
Bill Jandro

With this extra 30ml things could get pretty stupid contract wise in the first wave of FA.

I still think Kwesi should have ext Jefferson 30 seconds after he became eligible. The longer he waits the more expensive it becomes. Jefferson smells the blood in the water.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 8118
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2024 6:46:16 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

With this extra 30ml things could get pretty stupid contract wise in the first wave of FA.

I still think Kwesi should have ext Jefferson 30 seconds after he became eligible. The longer he waits the more expensive it becomes. Jefferson smells the blood in the water.

His agent smells a few more million in fees/commission as well.
Post #: 8119
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2024 8:40:24 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

The big picture is how to get better with any significance. With a thin roster, not a lot of resources, and people in charge that have been making below average personnel and draft decisions. And without handcuffing our cap in the future (like we have been the last 3 years at least).

Versus the simplified, ‘we can create 60M by making some simple moves and then we’re in a good position.

Nobody is saying we won’t sign FAs. We don’t have any choice … we simply dont have enough players, decent or otherwise at this point in time.

I've said that. We can get there without creating anymore dead cap or void years.

And yes, I do say make a splash in FA. Get a top corner for 18M per and it improves 3 positions with one move. Moving Murphy to #2 and Blackmon to nickel. With Evans being a special team/injury fill in guy. Get another difference maker($$$) at DLine and then do some bargain hunting.

It won't all get done in one year but you can fill some important holes the 1st year. Then, 2025 the void years and dead cap diminish and you have some more cap space.

Of course, the main way to improve this team is in the draft(because you need to have some starters who have small cap numbers) and finding QBOTF. If that doesn't happen, nothing we accomplished in FA will put us in a situation where we can start being a top team.

You can spend big or you can spend smart.

And by smart I don't mean cheap ... we all want good players added to the team.

Smart would not just be cap space, it would be the structure of contracts within the cap, how they are laid out for this year, and next and after. It also includes having your RT and TE NOT locking down more than your QB, top CB and Edge rusher combined – the cap has to have a semblance of positional responsibility and balance.

You can say lets cut and rework the cap space - which we can do - and then add an unnamed CB for an arbitrary 18M ... which is easy to say but neither here nor there until we know there is player like that we can sign.

Then there's the issue of Kwesi's skill as a GM in signing and drafting players.

We are not quite clear of the Spielman mess. Kwesi has started creating a his own mess and with Cousins, JJ, Darrisaw and maybe Hunter lurking out there ... it remains to be seen how much cap space we can create for this year that aren't going to be gobbled up by more lame cap management.
Post #: 8120
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2024 9:07:01 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Smart would not just be cap space, it would be the structure of contracts within the cap, how they are laid out for this year, and next and after. It also includes having your RT and TE NOT locking down more than your QB, top CB and Edge rusher combined – the cap has to have a semblance of positional responsibility and balance.
You can say lets cut and rework the cap space - which we can do - and then add an unnamed CB for an arbitrary 18M ... which is easy to say but neither here nor there until we know there is player like that we can sign.
Then there's the issue of Kwesi's skill as a GM in signing and drafting players.
We are not quite clear of the Spielman mess. Kwesi has started creating a his own mess and with Cousins, JJ, Darrisaw and maybe Hunter lurking out there ... it remains to be seen how much cap space we can create for this year that aren't going to be gobbled up by more lame cap management.

There are some things you have to give Kwesi/KOC credit for....Kendricks was replaced by Pace, Thielen by Addison, Cleveland by Risner, and PP by Murphy. If you also talk cap---they were in really bad shape going into 2022 and 2023. They basically had to cut Kendricks, Thielen, and Zed last year to be compliant.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 8121
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2024 9:54:55 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

There are some things you have to give Kwesi/KOC credit for....Kendricks was replaced by Pace, Thielen by Addison, Cleveland by Risner, and PP by Murphy. If you also talk cap---they were in really bad shape going into 2022 and 2023. They basically had to cut Kendricks, Thielen, and Zed last year to be compliant.

Kendricks and Thielen could have easily been let go the year before. Letting them and Zed go last year gets Kwesi an 'ok, you did what you were required to do.'

Yes Addison was a good upgrade from Thielen, on all levels. Yes Pace was a good replacement for Kendricks. Risner for Cleveland ... yes but it took way too long. PP for Murphy? Not clear. From a performance standpoint, its pretty even with Peterson saving a couple of games with INTs. and Murphy cost more.

But you're right. I tend to only find the negative in Kwesi.

Not by choice. I'm open. If he changes our direction this offseason, I'll come around.

A lot has to happen first though, in my mind.
Post #: 8122
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2024 9:56:02 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Kendricks and Thielen could have easily been let go the year before. Letting them and Zed go last year gets Kwesi an 'ok, you did what you were required to do.'

Yes Addison was a good upgrade from Thielen, on all levels. Yes Pace was a good replacement for Kendricks. Risner for Cleveland ... yes but it took way too long. PP for Murphy? Not clear. From a performance standpoint, its pretty even with Peterson saving a couple of games with INTs. and Murphy cost more.

But you're right. I tend to only find the negative in Kwesi.

Not by choice. I'm open. If he changes our direction this offseason, I'll come around.

A lot has to happen first though, in my mind.

No one is ever irreplaceable (unless you replace Moss with Williamson; then it seems that way)...

As much as the old credit card rant shows up; there is more room to improve the roster then there was the last 2 years. How tight the salary cap was in 2022 may have lead Kwesi to try to hit on more players in the draft....I do like what was done last year....Addison, Blackmon, and Roy plus Pace in UDFA.

He probably needs to even do better than that to make up for 2022.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 2/26/2024 10:01:35 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 8123
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2024 12:08:59 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

You can say lets cut and rework the cap space - which we can do - and then add an unnamed CB for an arbitrary 18M ... which is easy to
say but neither here nor there until we know there is player like that we can sign.

That's one of the reasons why we come to these message boards. Too offer our opinion on what we think the team should do.

The cuts, IMO, are cut and dried. We are getting rid of players who no longer play at a specific level to help the team. And gaining more cap space to sign players who will play at a high level.

I understand getting a free agent to sign on the dotted line is another story.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 2/26/2024 12:10:15 PM >
Post #: 8124
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2024 1:18:31 PM   
David Levine

Free agents: Kirk Cousins, Vikings

Cousins is unquestionably the best quarterback on the market, though he's recovering from his first serious injury after he tore his right Achilles in late October. Before the injury, Cousins' 63.6 QBR was the ninth-best mark in the league. His 11.2% off-target rate ranked No. 1 over the first half of the season, and he did it without Justin Jefferson for a chunk of that time.

The last time Cousins was a free agent, he parlayed his leverage into a three-year deal worth a fully guaranteed $84 million. After two seasons, he parlayed that contract and Minnesota's need for cap relief into two additional deals. In all, he earned $185 million over his six years with the Vikings for an average of just under $31 million per season.

Any team hoping to win over the next three years that isn't in position to land one of the top starters in the 2024 draft should be trying to pursue Cousins. That's a group that includes the Broncos, Buccaneers, Falcons, Raiders, Steelers and Titans, with the Dolphins and Seahawks as outside candidates if they move on from their current starters. Some of those teams will opt for longer shots in the draft, but if Cousins' recovery is on track, he should be able to get one more significant deal as a 35-year-old free agent.

Average annual salary projection:
$51 million per season

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/39583560/2024-nfl-offseason-free-agency-best-available-quarterbacks-tight-ends-offensive-linemen-tiers-money-contract
Post #: 8125
Page:   <<   < prev  323 324 [325] 326 327   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  323 324 [325] 326 327   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode