Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  324 325 [326] 327 328   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2024 1:19:48 PM   
David Levine

Interesting info on Cousins and how much we can pay him from DN:

But if that’s the number, that presents additional problems for the Vikings because of the way they handled Cousins’ current deal and the void years that are putting the $28.5 million cap hit on the club in 2024 that they’ll have to account for if Cousins doesn’t come back. They’re actually quite limited on how much they can offer him.

quote:

Some of the prorated bonuses ($6.25 million in 2023, 2024, and 2025) were left over from the 2022 extension of Cousins, while the remaining $4 million per year was from the 2023 restructure. All that void year money ($28.5 million) is set to count against Minnesota’s cap in 2024 unless Cousins were to sign another extension to stay in Minnesota, in which case they would simply tack onto a new deal’s cap hits in their respective years.

But there is a catch. Those base salaries in 2024-2027, which are effectively dummy numbers that will never be paid, set a cap for a possible future extension. Per the CBA, a player cannot sign a new deal that includes a raise within a year of signing another deal. Cousins’ new deal is, on paper, a 5-year, $200-million deal ($40 million APY), with a $20 million signing bonus (and $180 million in paragraph 5 base salaries), a mark that cannot be exceeded should he sign a deal to remain in Minnesota before the 2024 league year. Given the current market for starting-caliber quarterbacks in the NFL, this would seem to imply that Cousins is going to take a below-market deal or test the market in 2024.

So, if the Vikings are going to get a deal done with Cousins before the start of the 2024 league year on 13 March, it’s going to top out at $40 million/year. That means there won’t be anything happening with Cousins and the Vikings after the new league year because, again, the Vikings aren’t going to take the $28.5 million dead cap hit and pay Cousins a hefty salary on top of that.

That means that, one way or another, in two weeks we’re going to have the answer (at least in part) to the question that we’ve all been asking: What are the Vikings going to do at quarterback in 2024?

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2024/2/26/24083857/kirk-cousins-projected-contract-value-espn-more-than-minnesota-vikings-can-give-him-nfl-free-agency
Post #: 8126
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2024 2:14:21 PM   
Phil Riewer

Videos of KC throwing passes on a Tennis Ball court already.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 8127
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2024 2:17:54 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

That's for the other 31 teams that don't have access to his medical info and progress.
Post #: 8128
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2024 2:22:32 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

That's for the other 31 teams that don't have access to his medical info and progress.

Weird that comes out when only the Vikings can sign him....

Post #: 8129
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2024 2:29:48 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Weird that comes out when only the Vikings can sign him....

Not even a little.
Post #: 8130
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2024 2:39:16 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Free agents: Kirk Cousins, Vikings

Cousins is unquestionably the best quarterback on the market, though he's recovering from his first serious injury after he tore his right Achilles in late October. Before the injury, Cousins' 63.6 QBR was the ninth-best mark in the league. His 11.2% off-target rate ranked No. 1 over the first half of the season, and he did it without Justin Jefferson for a chunk of that time.

The last time Cousins was a free agent, he parlayed his leverage into a three-year deal worth a fully guaranteed $84 million. After two seasons, he parlayed that contract and Minnesota's need for cap relief into two additional deals. In all, he earned $185 million over his six years with the Vikings for an average of just under $31 million per season.

Any team hoping to win over the next three years that isn't in position to land one of the top starters in the 2024 draft should be trying to pursue Cousins. That's a group that includes the Broncos, Buccaneers, Falcons, Raiders, Steelers and Titans, with the Dolphins and Seahawks as outside candidates if they move on from their current starters. Some of those teams will opt for longer shots in the draft, but if Cousins' recovery is on track, he should be able to get one more significant deal as a 35-year-old free agent.

Average annual salary projection:
$51 million per season

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/39583560/2024-nfl-offseason-free-agency-best-available-quarterbacks-tight-ends-offensive-linemen-tiers-money-contract

I'm one of Kirk's biggest supporters and I wouldn't go over $35Million a year.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 8131
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2024 4:10:59 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

Whats there to know?

He moves the same with or without an achilles injury.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 2/26/2024 4:12:23 PM >
Post #: 8132
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2024 4:16:20 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

Whats there to know?

Skoldoc on twitter says that the biggest area of concern after a torn achilles injury is whether or not the person will ever get their full force driving off that foot again. He says mobility won't be affected much, if at all. It's the zip on the ball that has the highest liklihood of being reduced.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 8133
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2024 7:10:27 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

So now his throws out of bounds will flutter gently into the hands of a safety or corner, now?

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 8134
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/26/2024 7:42:27 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

Here's a link to Blake Proehl's Idol audition. I may have missed it being posted before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywkumtU1oMU

He's pretty good.

Could be the next Warren Zevon.
Post #: 8135
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/27/2024 7:15:11 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Whats there to know?

That is amazing after an Achilles injury.

Post #: 8136
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/27/2024 7:55:59 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Whats there to know?

Not really. A guy in a wheelchair can throw a pass.

I could care less about him throwing passes. His arm was never my concern. He had little mobility before the injury. I wouldn't pay him a dime until I can see what he can do on a football field with his feet and legs. I always thought Cousins was a $15-20-million quarterback.......before the injury. He's got limited mobility. He's a turnover machine. He's poor in the two-minute offense. 0-for-3 in key categories.

Cousins has had amazing weapons during his time in Minnesota. He hasn't won with them, even when he was totally healthy. He's not a winner! Just because Jalen Hall, Nick Mullens and Josh Dobbs weren't the answer, doesn't mean Cousins is. It's flawed logic.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 2/27/2024 8:06:21 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 8137
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/27/2024 10:03:05 AM   
Tom Sykes

Kevin and Kwesi talking to media today at Indy. I'm sure they'll be frank and informative.

At least we are slowly closing in on the few days before and after the start of the league year ...

which may give us some concrete information to fight over.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 2/27/2024 10:08:50 AM >
Post #: 8138
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/27/2024 10:05:55 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Whats there to know?

I could care less about him throwing passes. His arm was never my concern. He had little mobility before the injury. I wouldn't pay him a dime until I can see what he can do on a football field with his feet and legs. I always thought Cousins was a $15-20-million quarterback.......before the injury. He's got limited mobility. He's a turnover machine. He's poor in the two-minute offense. 0-for-3 in key categories.

Cousins has had amazing weapons during his time in Minnesota. He hasn't won with them, even when he was totally healthy. He's not a winner! Just because Jalen Hall, Nick Mullens and Josh Dobbs weren't the answer, doesn't mean Cousins is. It's flawed logic.

Again there is only 1 Mahomes. Many of the same things said about Kirk was said about Stafford.

Post #: 8139
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/27/2024 10:16:36 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Thank god there’s only one KfC, because he sucks really bad..

Especially in playoff wins.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 8140
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/27/2024 10:22:10 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Whats there to know?

Again there is only 1 Mahomes. Many of the same things said about Kirk was said about Stafford.

then maybe for him to have a chance at a SB he needs to go to another team like Stafford did.

I'd be ok with him leaving. and if he wins one, **** it. good for him.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 8141
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/27/2024 10:27:28 AM   
marty

Do you think Stafford would have won a Super Bowl by now if had stayed with Detroit ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 8142
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/27/2024 10:39:02 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Do you think Stafford would have won a Super Bowl by now if had stayed with Detroit ?

Nope; they gathered a ton of talent thru that trade.

Post #: 8143
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/27/2024 11:14:55 AM   
marty

It's too bad the Vikings couldn't trade Kirk.

With Stafford, was Detroit's offense continually ranked around 13th in scoring, while giving Stafford a top 5 QB salary ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 8144
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/27/2024 11:18:35 AM   
marty

Also, did Stafford have limited mobility, while being a turnover machine, poor in the two-minute offense, with not a lot of early leads, lots of 3 and outs, took every Tuesday off, and struggled to make a play when a play breaks down ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 8145
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/27/2024 11:27:32 AM   
Phil Riewer

The #Vikings number 1 objective is to pay Justin Jefferson to a long term deal, and it’s “not even close”,
@DWolfsonKSTP
mentioned on
@SKORNorth

Minnesota realizes at this point that they need to make him the highest paid non quarterback in the #NFL.

Minnesota is willing to pay him a significant amount, but the structure of the contract is what seems to be the reason for the holdup.

Post #: 8146
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/27/2024 11:56:29 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Bosa extension last Sept that I believe made him the highest non-QB: The San Francisco 49ers and star pass-rusher Nick Bosa have agreed to a five-year, $170 million contract extension that includes $122.5 million guaranteed, making him the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history, per multiple reports.

Spitballing... five-years, $175 million, $130 million guaranteed, no-trade clause and other player-friendly pieces to the much-ballyhooed contract structure. Backloaded out the wazoo.

We're flush with cap... piece of cake. Break the Bank Jefferson!
Post #: 8147
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/27/2024 12:04:04 PM   
Bill Johanesen

JJ said ~ he's done what no other player has done so his contract is different.

Yeah, like having only 0.8% of your precious yards occur in the playoffs.

We get rid of one stat-boy and here comes another.
Post #: 8148
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/27/2024 12:55:30 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

Here's a link to Blake Proehl's Idol audition. I may have missed it being posted before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywkumtU1oMU

He's pretty good.

Could be the next Warren Zevon.

Warren Zevon is one of the best song writers of our lifetime. Blake hasn't shown any evidence of being a song writer.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 8149
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/27/2024 1:17:32 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Kevin and Kwesi talking to media today at Indy. I'm sure they'll be frank and informative.

At least we are slowly closing in on the few days before and after the start of the league year ...

which may give us some concrete information to fight over.

Kwesi's word salad plays well into smoke-screen snippets.
Post #: 8150
Page:   <<   < prev  324 325 [326] 327 328   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  324 325 [326] 327 328   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode