Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: Steve Lentz, The Rodent
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/9/2024 7:27:21 AM  1 votes
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

One of Ant's very best games of his career.

He's shot better, and put up bigger numbers, but his decision making was the best I've ever seen from him.

Yes, he played a smart game for 4 quarters. He made good decisions quickly and kept the ball moving. No hero ball. No using up the shot clock pounding the ball on the floor. No awkward contested shots early in the possession. No turnovers.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 276
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/9/2024 7:30:08 AM  1 votes
TJSweens

Have to give a hat tip to KAT. He guarded Giannis by himself for some long stretches and was pretty solid.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 277
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/9/2024 10:26:24 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Have to give a hat tip to KAT. He guarded Giannis by himself for some long stretches and was pretty solid.

Milwaukee took a step backwards when they hired Rivers to coach.
Post #: 278
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/9/2024 10:58:35 AM  1 votes
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Milwaukee took a step backwards when they hired Rivers to coach.

They'd be so much better with Budenholzer and J'rue...
Post #: 279
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/10/2024 11:39:15 AM   
twinsfan

I'm kind of perplexed why we kept our star players out on the court with 5 minutes left and a 25-point lead. If someone suffers a significant (or even not so significant, really) injury at that point, the coach is to blame.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 280
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/13/2024 8:20:45 AM   
wrh

what a great game/win. I missed much of the 2nd qtr but looked like the whole team was playing well. 3rd qtr I thought wolves made Clippers look old and tired (probably too much criticism, but it did for that portion of the game). Nice statement. Now Jim Pete says Portland playing much better than the last time we saw them, we just need to take care of business for these last 2 games before the break.
Post #: 281
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/13/2024 8:48:16 AM   
TJSweens

Edwards with another high assist-low turnover game (8-1). I hope this is the start of a long term trend. Decision making has been the last piece in Ant's progression.

Rudy is is back to his old self this year. It makes a world of difference

Post #: 282
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/13/2024 9:33:19 AM  1 votes
wrh

I don't know about the rest of you, but Rudy definitely has been growing on me. Maybe the Master of all the little things which help a team win. The more I see and hear the more I respect his high basketball IQ. He seems to really understand the game.
Post #: 283
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/13/2024 10:04:03 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: wrh

I don't know about the rest of you, but Rudy definitely has been growing on me. Maybe the Master of all the little things which help a team win. The more I see and hear the more I respect his high basketball IQ. He seems to really understand the game.

Last year the Wolves were too worried about upping his offensive game in the early going. The offense was disjointed as a result. This year they seem to realize the player Rudy is and let him incorporate his game to the Wolves system instead of the other way around.

Post #: 284
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/13/2024 10:36:00 AM  1 votes
wrh

quote:

Last year the Wolves were too worried about upping his offensive game in the early going. The offense was disjointed as a result. This year they seem to realize the player Rudy is and let him incorporate his game to the Wolves system instead of the other way around.

I agree, but I would also add/give credit to KAT being back full time and also seriously continuing to adjust his game to accepting a role that doesn't rely on him as the primary scorer and really needs his defense. I am not great at analyzing defense, but I certainly think KATs improved defense passes my eyeball test. The apparent lack of ego conflicts on this team is a huge credit to the players and the coaches. Not always an abundant NBA quality.
Post #: 285
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/13/2024 11:41:50 AM   
David Levine

quote:

Edwards with another high assist-low turnover game (8-1). I hope this is the start of a long term trend. Decision making has been the last piece in Ant's progression.

Rudy is is back to his old self this year. It makes a world of difference

17 Assists vs 1 Turnover in the past 2 games. Both on the road against contenders.

quote:

There have been 778 instances in NBA regular-season history of a team playing consecutive games, both on the road against teams 15+ games over .500.

The Timberwolves are the only one of the 778 to win both games by 20+ points (won at 33-18 Bucks by 24, at 35-16 Clippers by 21).
Post #: 286
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/13/2024 11:44:02 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

I agree, but I would also add/give credit to KAT being back full time and also seriously continuing to adjust his game to accepting a role that doesn't rely on him as the primary scorer and really needs his defense. I am not great at analyzing defense, but I certainly think KATs improved defense passes my eyeball test. The apparent lack of ego conflicts on this team is a huge credit to the players and the coaches. Not always an abundant NBA quality.

He's really changed how he plays defense at PF. Now he mostly just "walls up" and uses his length to his advantage. He doesn't swipe down at the ball nearly as often.
Post #: 287
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/13/2024 1:06:56 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

quote:

He's really changed how he plays defense at PF. Now he mostly just "walls up" and uses his length to his advantage. He doesn't swipe down at the ball nearly as often.

Concerning Towns it's probably a combination of Finch expectations and Towns maturity. I see improvement this year.

Ant's natural ability and skills are off the charts. As his decision making improves he will be as good as anyone in the league or better.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 288
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/13/2024 4:16:14 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

quote:

Concerning Towns it's probably a combination of Finch expectations and Towns maturity. I see improvement this year.

Ant's natural ability and skills are off the charts. As his decision making improves he will be as good as anyone in the league or better.

I give most of the credit to the mature PG who also helped get Gobert going in the right direction. Also like our 2nd unit much more with Monte at PG.

There was a post that mentioned this:
Canis Hoopus
@canishoopus
Now that everyone is asleep…

Tim Connelly essentially traded…

D’Angelo Russell
Taurean Prince

For

Mike Conley
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
Leonard Miller
Monte Morris

Pretty impressive roster management with big salary and draft asset constraints

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 2/13/2024 4:27:51 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 289
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/13/2024 5:17:59 PM   
MDK

Wolves beat good teams. How will they do against a bad team like Portland. 2 games.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 290
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/14/2024 7:06:12 AM   
MDK

1 down, 1 to go against Portland.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 291
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/14/2024 8:07:11 AM   
Phil Riewer

NAW and Ant (who at first wasn't going to play as his shooter's knee was acting up)

Post #: 292
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/14/2024 8:17:30 AM  1 votes
TJSweens

Yesterday I watched the replay of the Clippers game. The impact of Gobert's defense just jumped off the TV screen. It made me think of the old saying that for every shot you block, you change two more. It was so obvious that the Clippers were very aware of Rudy's presence in the lane. This was a team of veteran scorers that was putting extra hight on shots in the lane or going off balance shooting around blocks or hesitating in front of an open path.

Post #: 293
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/14/2024 9:41:30 AM   
David Levine

I wish they tracked how many times a game guys enter the paint and immediately bail because Rudy is waiting.

Happens all the time.
Post #: 294
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/14/2024 10:05:51 AM  1 votes
Steve Lentz

Ant was on a roll again last night. Loved the left-handed bank shot!

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 295
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/15/2024 1:55:23 AM   
JT2

quote:

I wish they tracked how many times a game guys enter the paint and immediately bail because Rudy is waiting.

Happens all the time.

I think this may be the best of Rudy ever. I wasn't a fan of the trade, but his ability to anchor the defense has been impressive, and has won me over. Let him do what he do. His impact on defense has been so consistent. The altered shots and no shots are a thing of beauty. Low key our MVP?
Post #: 296
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/15/2024 10:20:08 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

Happens all the time.

I think this may be the best of Rudy ever. I wasn't a fan of the trade, but his ability to anchor the defense has been impressive, and has won me over. Let him do what he do. His impact on defense has been so consistent. The altered shots and no shots are a thing of beauty. Low key our MVP?

Absolutely. He's been the key to our defense. And the difference between this team and those Utah ones is we actually put good perimeter defenders around him, so he's no an island.

Also really interesting with all the talk of how teams can go small, play "5 out" and play Rudy off the court, the very opposite happened against the Clippers where we completely overwhelmed them to the point that Lue (a really terrific coach) had to abandon the idea and try to match size as best he could.

Bodes well for the Playoffs.
Post #: 297
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/16/2024 9:04:30 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

Happens all the time.

Connelly has turned the 2nd round picks into the new low 1st rounders....he did that at Denver also. There is almost equal talent to be found in the 2nd.

Post #: 298
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/16/2024 9:44:43 AM   
TJSweens

Edwards now has a mere 4 turnovers in the last 4 games. Better decisions earlier in the shot clock. It's making Ant and the whole team more effective.

Post #: 299
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/16/2024 11:06:53 AM   
David Levine

quote:

Edwards now has a mere 4 turnovers in the last 4 games. Better decisions earlier in the shot clock. It's making Ant and the whole team more effective.

9 Turnovers the previous 2 games.

A switch flipped.
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode