Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: Steve Lentz
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/6/2024 10:01:49 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Oof. Bad loss.
Post #: 251
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/6/2024 11:07:05 PM   
David Levine

Alan Horton@WolvesRadio
In their last 10 games, the Wolves have lost FOUR times when they've had a 10+ point 4th quarter lead.

They hadn't lost a game all season in that scenario over the first 41 games.
Post #: 252
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/7/2024 12:07:01 AM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Alan Horton@WolvesRadio
In their last 10 games, the Wolves have lost FOUR times when they've had a 10+ point 4th quarter lead.

There have been some warning signs, struggles against way lesser teams, not closing, etc.
It's the NBA, sometimes 15 point underdogs win. We've been pretty good about not losing those games, and that's great, but we're not playoff/championship level yet, IMO. But that's what I want.

You're right about Edwards, and I don't even like being critical of him, but his shot selection and game awareness is lacking. He's better than Jalen Green, but often times he plays like him. That's not a good thing.

My fear is that we're going to wear out Conley and Gobert during the regular season. We're not bench deep at all, and that matters for the regular season, especially when you have to run heavy minutes for Conley and Gobert.

I'm really excited about Thursday, and a little worried. We need to be aggressive and improve this roster. Not sure we will.
Post #: 253
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/7/2024 12:28:30 AM  1 votes
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimbo

Jaden McDaniel has been a big disappointment for me this year, I don’t see much improvement from him, foul machine, and tons of turnovers

I'm not so sure about that. I expect him to get in foul trouble because he's the best, most versatile, aggressive defender on this team. His turnover rate is better than last season.

I kind of see him as a bigger, longer version of Anunoby. I'm happy that his focus is defense right now. He's probably the glue guy on this team. His stats don't tell the story. Don't get me wrong, we need another creator/scorer but he's not at all a problem, he's the solution, especially if you intend to succeed in the postseason.
Post #: 254
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/7/2024 12:58:50 AM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

Maybe not the right place, but I should have also included OKC in the post above. They are really good, and I do think they will be aggressive on the deadline. I think they could have some interest in Caruso. I think he would make them better. Anyway, I think it's great that the Wolves, and the Thunder, are forces to be reckoned with. Ain't nobody in the West scared of the Lakers or the Warriors. I like change.

I'd go after Markkanen if I was them.

Fits their timeline, perfect fit offensively and he helps their biggest (only?) weakness - rebounding.

They're going to need to start turning those picks into players. I think he'd be a great choice.

And then pick up a cheap BIG like Drummond. He's still one of the best rebounders in the game and he gives them a huge body to throw at guys like Jokic, Rudy and Embiid.

Markkanen would give them a pretty great front court, but I think their lack of offensive rebounding is by design, they get back on D.

I actually love the Drummond idea for them. He would be a great bench piece and imagine the lessons learned for Holmgren having to battle that rebounding beast every day.

Right now, I think they need a quality back court mate for SGA. Giddey isn't it.
Post #: 255
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/7/2024 1:12:48 AM   
JT2

quote:

Its amazing how well OKC has situated themselves. They aren't in a financial situation where they need to make roster decisions until 2026. Their 2nd biggest cap hit this year is the 27.6M in dead money from waived players they took on to acquire picks. Bertans is 3rd. Dort is 4th.

They literally are only paying SGA and Dort to pay basketball. 44.6M of their 153M payroll is just trade assets that barely suit up.

They're in a great position. They are young and good. Holmgren is better than I thought he would be. Williams is the real deal, and SGA is crazy good. And Daigneault seems like he knows what he is doing. OKC is set up to be the team to beat in the West.
Post #: 256
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/7/2024 10:29:49 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

Alan Horton@WolvesRadio

There have been some warning signs, struggles against way lesser teams, not closing, etc.
It's the NBA, sometimes 15 point underdogs win. We've been pretty good about not losing those games, and that's great, but we're not playoff/championship level yet, IMO. But that's what I want.

You're right about Edwards, and I don't even like being critical of him, but his shot selection and game awareness is lacking. He's better than Jalen Green, but often times he plays like him. That's not a good thing.

My fear is that we're going to wear out Conley and Gobert during the regular season. We're not bench deep at all, and that matters for the regular season, especially when you have to run heavy minutes for Conley and Gobert.

I'm really excited about Thursday, and a little worried. We need to be aggressive and improve this roster. Not sure we will.

I think the book is out on us. Pack the paint late and Ant will turn it over multiple times. Hopefully that's growing pains as he learns to pass the ball. But right now, his passes are often off-target, illadvised or mistimed. He also needs to figure out if he gives the ball up early, he's going to get it back - and in a much better position than if he dribbles it for 15 seconds. And holy shit, you have arguably the best screener in the game in Gobert - quite ignoring the screens he's setting for you.

I'm also losing faith in Finch. The players love him, but the game is getting too big for him. Firstly, his idea to play a free-flow EuroLeague style of ball does not mesh well with guys like Ant, Jaden and KAT that aren't really instinctive players - or guys that can see the game 1-2 passes ahead. And his substitutions, "saving" timeouts and bizarre challenges make me feel like he's in over his head.

I think he's a "transition" coach. A guy to get us away from the mess that was Ryan and to prep us for a real coach.

Right now, Daigneault might be my favorite coach in the league. He has a crazy young team, but they're always a unit on both sides of the ball. Always in the right spots, always making the right decisions, always knowing what the other 4 guys are doing.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 2/7/2024 10:31:04 AM >
Post #: 257
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/7/2024 1:12:04 PM  1 votes
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alan Horton@WolvesRadio

I think the book is out on us. Pack the paint late and Ant will turn it over multiple times. Hopefully that's growing pains as he learns to pass the ball. But right now, his passes are often off-target, illadvised or mistimed. He also needs to figure out if he gives the ball up early, he's going to get it back - and in a much better position than if he dribbles it for 15 seconds. And holy shit, you have arguably the best screener in the game in Gobert - quite ignoring the screens he's setting for you.

I'm also losing faith in Finch. The players love him, but the game is getting too big for him. Firstly, his idea to play a free-flow EuroLeague style of ball does not mesh well with guys like Ant, Jaden and KAT that aren't really instinctive players - or guys that can see the game 1-2 passes ahead. And his substitutions, "saving" timeouts and bizarre challenges make me feel like he's in over his head.

I think he's a "transition" coach. A guy to get us away from the mess that was Ryan and to prep us for a real coach.

Right now, Daigneault might be my favorite coach in the league. He has a crazy young team, but they're always a unit on both sides of the ball. Always in the right spots, always making the right decisions, always knowing what the other 4 guys are doing.

Makes me wonder how good we could be if we had stuck with Ryan Saunders.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 258
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/7/2024 1:21:33 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alan Horton@WolvesRadio

Not good.
Post #: 259
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/7/2024 3:23:41 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alan Horton@WolvesRadio

Not good.

Yeah he hasn't been anything but an Asst anywhere else.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 260
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/7/2024 3:49:46 PM   
Phil Riewer

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
The Detroit Pistons are finalizing a deal to send guard Monte Morris to the Minnesota Timberwolves, sources tell
@TheAthletic

@Stadium

Post #: 261
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/7/2024 3:52:03 PM   
Phil Riewer

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
Timberwolves are sending Shake Milton, Troy Brown Jr. and one second-round pick to Detroit for Monte Morris, sources said.

Jon Krawczynski
@JonKrawczynski
·
6m
The Wolves are sending their own 2030 second-round pick to Detroit in the deal, sources said.

Post #: 262
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/7/2024 3:57:04 PM   
David Levine

Very good deal for us.
Post #: 263
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/7/2024 4:36:24 PM   
David Levine

I posted this on Canis 2 weeks ago:

The more I think about it, the more he makes the most sense as a target.

AST/TO Ratio NBA Leaders:
2019: #1 Tyus Jones, #2 Monte Morris
2020: #1 Tyus Jones, #2 Monte Morris
2021: #1 Tyus Jones, #2 Monte Morris, #3 Jevon Carter, #4 Chris Paul
2022: #1 Tyus Jones, #2 Tre Jones, #3 Jordan MacLaughlin, #4 Chris Paul, #5 Monte Morris
2023: #1 Monte Morris, #2 Tyus Jones, #4 Chris Paul, #6 Mike Conley

So he gives us that steady stability we need when Conley is out.

Career Shooting #s (Ignoring his rookie year where he played 3 games):
2018: 49/41/80
2019: 46/38/84
2020: 48/38/80
2021: 48/39/87
2022: 48/38/83

And he also gives us a ridiculously consistent scorer off the bench.

He's likely a guy you can resign in the offseason to back up Conley at a much lower price than Tyus as well. And he's only 10 months older than Tyus, so he should remain productive through his next contract.

And you can't discount that he spent 6 seasons in Denver with Connelly.
Post #: 264
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/7/2024 4:47:51 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

2022: #1 Tyus Jones, #2 Tre Jones, #3 Jordan MacLaughlin, #4 Chris Paul, #5 Monte Morris

He's likely a guy you can resign in the offseason to back up Conley at a much lower price than Tyus as well. And he's only 10 months older than Tyus, so he should remain productive through his next contract.

If only Hayward would get a buyout and sign with us now....

Post #: 265
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/7/2024 5:08:02 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

If only Hayward would get a buyout and sign with us now....

Unlikely. It appears that keeping his Bird Rights is more important to him than joining a contender.
Post #: 266
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/7/2024 9:02:06 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Basically got him for nothing. Milton and Brown had been shut down. Weren’t contributing anything.

I didn’t see how they’d be able to add anything of value but they managed it. Good deal.
Post #: 267
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/8/2024 6:55:07 AM   
TJSweens

This deal should help one of the Wolves biggest issues. Things tend to get disorganized when Connelly is off the floor. Especially when decides to try hero baĺl. Morris should fix that.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 268
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/8/2024 7:15:39 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

This deal should help one of the Wolves biggest issues. Things tend to get disorganized when Connelly is off the floor. Especially when decides to try hero baĺl. Morris should fix that.

Matt I mean Sweens I didn't know the GM played PG.

Post #: 269
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/8/2024 8:38:21 AM   
Karl Juhnke

In addition to the trade helping on a daily basis, it’s a tremendous insurance policy if Conley goes down, which it always seems it’s tough to keep him healthy. If he gets a serious injury, they would have been done. Could you imagine going into playoffs with JMac and PG by committee?
Post #: 270
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/8/2024 10:42:13 AM   
Phil Riewer

The one more add we could use:

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
50m
Oklahoma City is closing in on a trade to acquire Gordon Hayward from Charlotte, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.

Post #: 271
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/8/2024 11:09:10 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

The one more add we could use:

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
50m
Oklahoma City is closing in on a trade to acquire Gordon Hayward from Charlotte, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.

We had no way to trade for him.
Post #: 272
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/8/2024 12:48:52 PM   
twinsfan

I love the acquisition of Monte Morris. He was the leader of some great Nuggets teams.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 273
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/8/2024 8:20:13 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Wolves up 10 at half vs. Bucks. Put it in the books. This one is over. Great win!
Post #: 274
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 2/8/2024 11:12:55 PM  1 votes
David Levine

One of Ant's very best games of his career.

He's shot better, and put up bigger numbers, but his decision making was the best I've ever seen from him.
Post #: 275
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode