Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: David Levine, beo, David Jerde, bstinger
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/20/2024 9:24:09 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

I got laughed at when I said last year that Edwards was already my favorite Wolve of all-time. I haven't changed my mind. His athletic ability and aggressiveness are truly remarkable. He's young and no where near his peak, but he certainly gives me a reason to watch every Wolve game I can. Add to that the progress Reid and Gobert have shown and we should be competitive with anybody in the league. Still a player short of being the favorite in the league, but certainly a threat to most anybody.

The scary thing about Ant is, he’s 22. He likely hasn’t peaked yet. He’s a smart enough player that he could still add more facets to his game.
Post #: 201
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/20/2024 9:33:27 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

I got laughed at when I said last year that Edwards was already my favorite Wolve of all-time. I haven't changed my mind. His athletic ability and aggressiveness are truly remarkable. He's young and no where near his peak, but he certainly gives me a reason to watch every Wolve game I can. Add to that the progress Reid and Gobert have shown and we should be competitive with anybody in the league. Still a player short of being the favorite in the league, but certainly a threat to most anybody.

The scary thing about Ant is, he’s 22. He likely hasn’t peaked yet. He’s a smart enough player that he could still add more facets to his game.

He's not even close to a finished product. His decision making still needs a ton of work.

The next big jump for him is learning to read the floor before he has the ball in his hands.
Post #: 202
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/21/2024 1:28:21 PM   
Steve Lentz

Ant had a bad game last night. Poor decisions and turnovers. My Bad!
He seems very aware of what he needs to change and improve on.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 203
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/21/2024 1:42:12 PM  1 votes
David Levine

Like I said, his decision making is really bad at this point.

I wish he was a little more like Naz, in that Reid makes immediate decisions to shoot, drive or pass as soon as the ball hits his hands.

But Ant (an KAT) don’t seem to be able to read the floor until they get the ball, so neither guy is thinking a step ahead.
Post #: 204
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/21/2024 4:25:49 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Like I said, his decision making is really bad at this point.

I wish he was a little more like Naz, in that Reid makes immediate decisions to shoot, drive or pass as soon as the ball hits his hands.

But Ant (an KAT) don’t seem to be able to read the floor until they get the ball, so neither guy is thinking a step ahead.

This is it exactly. They get the ball, and everything stops while they decide what to do, as if the defense is going to magically part or something.

Only difference is, Ant has the moves to sometimes make it work anyway. KAT just becomes a bull and gets angry.
Post #: 205
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/23/2024 8:46:41 AM   
wrh

I agree with the comments about KAT and ANT causing turnovers. A couple of very bad losses. Wish I could say exactly why we play strong 3rd qtrs and look like crap in the fourth. Probably linked to why our starters have so much trouble with slow starts in the first.

All last night my gut told me with the team only being 4-10 pts ahead with KATs shooting streak being so hot, that streak would die and we would lose.
Post #: 206
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/23/2024 9:20:06 AM   
wrh

I would enjoy knowledgable opinions here: I have seen 2 camera views of KATs last drive. The one from across the lane clearly shows KATs arm getting hacked big time, and little else. The view from the sideline (KATs backside) which was the one I first saw, looks to me like the defender got if not a lot of ball, sufficent ball before hitting the arm to avoid the foul call. What did you all see?
Post #: 207
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/23/2024 11:23:05 AM  1 votes
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: wrh

I agree with the comments about KAT and ANT causing turnovers. A couple of very bad losses. Wish I could say exactly why we play strong 3rd qtrs and look like crap in the fourth. Probably linked to why our starters have so much trouble with slow starts in the first.

All last night my gut told me with the team only being 4-10 pts ahead with KATs shooting streak being so hot, that streak would die and we would lose.

We stop passing the ball in the 4th and Ant tries to take over the game. Last night was even worse because its clear we were out there playing with our food and more interested in getting KAT a scoring record than the actual game.

Our last 4 losses (DAL, BOS, OKC, CHA) were all late game chokes when we had the game in hand.
Post #: 208
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/23/2024 12:46:32 PM   
David Levine

No wonder Finch used the term "immature".

quote:

Adding to the distraction, Philadelphia 76ers big man Joel Embiid was having an enormous scoring night. When the Timberwolves went to halftime, they learned that Embiid had 59 points through three quarters in Philly against San Antonio. Players were buzzing as they came back to the court, asking assistant coaches for updates on where Embiid finished, so they could help Towns surpass it. Embiid finished with 70 points in a 133-123 victory over the Spurs.

quote:

Anthony Edwards appeared to be as taken by the explosion as anyone. With Towns rolling, he refused to shoot, instead feeding Towns over and over again. Edwards only took one shot in the first half and didn’t score until a layup with 3:09 to play in the third quarter.

“He hit his first six, seven shots, and I think everybody, pretty much, was just trying to see him go get 100 points,” Edwards said. “I know I was.”

Edwards piled up the assists, tying a career-high with 11 for the game, but he was almost too unselfish. That made it difficult for him to get in a rhythm, so when he was needed in the fourth quarter, he wasn’t locked in. He finished the game with nine points on 3-of-11 shooting.

“I mean, he got hot,” Edwards said of Towns. “I think all of us … wanted to see him get 80 or whatever it was.”

theathletic.com/5220434/2024/01/23/karl-anthony-towns-timberwolves-record-setting-loss/?source=emp_shared_article
Post #: 209
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/23/2024 2:03:06 PM   
twinsfan

The Bucks have fired head coach Adrian Griffin after leading them to a 30-13 record so far this season.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 210
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/23/2024 5:46:29 PM  1 votes
Karl Juhnke

I was at the game.

As Towns kept racking up points and the crowd got energized, yet Charlotte kept hanging around. I said, what if Towns gets 80 and we lose?

I wasn’t far off.

Worst thing that happened was they built up a little cushion finally at the end of the third. They thought, okay we can relax and trade baskets in the 4th and have fun. That rarely works.

And yes, Towns got hacked on that last drive. But good lord it should have never come down to that. Hard to be angry about it. They didn’t deserve to win.
Post #: 211
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/23/2024 6:16:48 PM  1 votes
TJSweens

quote:

And yes, Towns got hacked on that last drive. But good lord it should have never come down to that. Hard to be angry about it. They didn’t deserve to win.

If you don't want to get beat on a bad call, don't put yourself in position to get beat on a bad call.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 212
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/23/2024 8:44:35 PM  1 votes
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

No wonder Finch used the term "immature".

quote:

Adding to the distraction, Philadelphia 76ers big man Joel Embiid was having an enormous scoring night. When the Timberwolves went to halftime, they learned that Embiid had 59 points through three quarters in Philly against San Antonio. Players were buzzing as they came back to the court, asking assistant coaches for updates on where Embiid finished, so they could help Towns surpass it. Embiid finished with 70 points in a 133-123 victory over the Spurs.

quote:

Anthony Edwards appeared to be as taken by the explosion as anyone. With Towns rolling, he refused to shoot, instead feeding Towns over and over again. Edwards only took one shot in the first half and didn’t score until a layup with 3:09 to play in the third quarter.

“He hit his first six, seven shots, and I think everybody, pretty much, was just trying to see him go get 100 points,” Edwards said. “I know I was.”

Edwards piled up the assists, tying a career-high with 11 for the game, but he was almost too unselfish. That made it difficult for him to get in a rhythm, so when he was needed in the fourth quarter, he wasn’t locked in. He finished the game with nine points on 3-of-11 shooting.

“I mean, he got hot,” Edwards said of Towns. “I think all of us … wanted to see him get 80 or whatever it was.”

theathletic.com/5220434/2024/01/23/karl-anthony-towns-timberwolves-record-setting-loss/?source=emp_shared_article

That was an embarrassing spectacle. I'm glad that Finch somewhat addressed it, but this is clearly a team that isn't properly focused on the big picture. Save that shit for the All-Star game. Anybody think Jokic gives a fukc how many points he scores? Finch could have handled it better as well. Bench Edwards or Towns for a minute or two to reset their focus. I'm sure I was not the only one seeing a come from behind victory by the Hornets, playing without an actual Center on their roster, because our focus was not on getting the W. Unacceptable.

That was especially disappointing because I thought we were ready to make some serious noise. That performance was unserious.

We're one high ankle sprain away from a possible rough stretch, with OKC, Denver, LAC and Phoenix all capable of surpassing us. We need to keep banking W's, and losing a game like that could come back to haunt us. Hopefully this serves as a lesson to this team.

< Message edited by JT2 -- 1/23/2024 8:56:15 PM >
Post #: 213
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/24/2024 8:08:34 AM  1 votes
wrh

may not be anyone else out there like me, but I had never read an official Last 2 minute Offical report on a game. Very interesting.

https://official.nba.com/l2m/L2MReport.html?gameId=0022300610%0D

summary said 10 missed calls -- 7 in CHA favor 3 in MN

I agree with the comments about don't let a game get where a missed call costs you the game.
Post #: 214
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/28/2024 2:59:33 AM   
JT2

Read all of them and you will discover the obvious, NBA referees are not perfect. There is no conspiratorial plot against the the Wolves. Why would the league care about that game?

Imagine if the players were held to the same standard we put on the officials. We expect perfection from the officials, while watching multi-millionaire players rest for load management. Or sometimes they just suck, especially on weekend games because they were out too late the night before. NBA officiating is a difficult gig. 48 minutes of refereeing. Compare that to a (60 minute) NFL game. Most of the those minutes are down time, no action, no plays. The clock ticks while they huddle.

Anyway, bad loss tonight. That's two bad losses this week. As referenced earlier above, we have been beating good teams but our performance against bad teams is cause for concern.

I'm not surprised that Conley has been out of action recently. His last two years in Utah, he never played both legs of a back to back. We're running him like he's 26. And our lack of depth at PG is a problem.

I'm convinced we need to make a move before the 8th. I hope we're aggressive. Our old guys are getting older and our young guy needs a taste of postseason success.
Post #: 215
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/28/2024 1:35:16 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

I'm not surprised that Conley has been out of action recently. His last two years in Utah, he never played both legs of a back to back. We're running him like he's 26. And our lack of depth at PG is a problem.

I'm convinced we need to make a move before the 8th. I hope we're aggressive. Our old guys are getting older and our young guy needs a taste of postseason success.

Yes with a back to back and 3 games in 4 nights, I wasn't exactly shocked that Conley came down with a mysterious illness so they could rest him the first two vs bad teams. These days you can't call load management load management any more. You have to get creative.

Yes if any move is to be made it should be for PG depth.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 1/28/2024 1:36:51 PM >
Post #: 216
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/29/2024 7:05:58 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

Yes with a back to back and 3 games in 4 nights, I wasn't exactly shocked that Conley came down with a mysterious illness so they could rest him the first two vs bad teams. These days you can't call load management load management any more. You have to get creative.

Huge game tonight, at least for this point in the season. Not only are Wolves and OKC close at the top of the standings, but OKC leads series 2-1. If Wolves win, it’s a split and tie breaker would go to the next level, conference or division, or whatever it is.
Post #: 217
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/29/2024 10:33:38 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

quote:

Huge game tonight, at least for this point in the season. Not only are Wolves and OKC close at the top of the standings, but OKC leads series 2-1. If Wolves win, it’s a split and tie breaker would go to the next level, conference or division, or whatever it is.

Yes! Much needed win!!!

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 218
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/30/2024 12:43:08 AM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes! Much needed win!!!

It was a really good win. Back to basics in some ways, solid defense. OKC wanted this one after an embarrassing loss to Detroit. SGA is great and Jalen Williams is a rising star (his younger brother, Cody, is a potential top 5 pick). Holmgren, Giddy and Dort were invisible. Gobert has been really, really good this season.

< Message edited by JT2 -- 1/30/2024 1:10:24 AM >
Post #: 219
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/30/2024 8:32:03 AM   
Karl Juhnke

If that was a preview of playoff basketball, and it sure felt like it was, they’ll be fine.

Defense down the stretch was huge. All starting the ‘good Rudy’ in the middle. He can truly alter games.
Post #: 220
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/30/2024 9:09:23 AM  1 votes
Mark Anderson

Great job, Edwards. Calling out the most inconsistent(bad) reffing in all of the major sports.
Post #: 221
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/30/2024 5:40:42 PM   
David Levine

Tomorrow better be a blowout...

Mavericks list Luka Doncic (right ankle sprain) Kyrie Irving (right thumb sprain) & Dereck Lively II (broken nose) as OUT for tomorrow night's game vs. Wolves.

Dante Exum (right knee bursitis) & Derrick Jones Jr. (left wrist sprain) are DOUBTFUL.
Post #: 222
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/30/2024 6:14:40 PM   
paulgly

https://x.com/JonKrawczynski/status/1752464030940213741?s=20

One of the more even keeled reporters around...he isn't wrong. If hunting fouls like Embiid, SGA, Luka, etc is the new norm for what constitutes superstar play, count me out. I can't stand watching those guys (especially Embiid) and would really hate to see us try to start copying. A parade to the free throw line for the crap they pull isn't fun to watch. ANT gets fouled on an electric dunk, and promoting play like that apparently isn't what we're looking for.
Post #: 223
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/30/2024 6:15:45 PM   
paulgly

Sorry - this is the initial tweet in a thread

https://x.com/JonKrawczynski/status/1752455556520947879?s=20
Post #: 224
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 1/31/2024 11:14:37 AM   
twinsfan

Oh no, now we're in on the Jimmy Butler trade rumors.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 225
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode