Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2024 Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/25/2024 4:49:00 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Um…that distinction goes to my great great great great great grandfather Captain Mallett. The man who chased down Blackbeard and ended his tyranny.

I did a book report on him in 3rd grade.
Post #: 801
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/25/2024 5:09:47 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

Um…that distinction goes to my great great great great great grandfather Captain Mallett. The man who chased down Blackbeard and ended his tyranny.

There is a mountain climbing use of the word but the 'belay that order' or 'hold that order' use is definitely nautical.

I was unsure about that. I do know that he invented the mountain climbing terminology use of that word and many others. His Biography was titled On Belay.
I don't know if I ever heard that word used in any other context. Maybe a couple times.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 802
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/25/2024 5:37:04 PM   
kgdabom

Warren Ludford
@wludford
My take is that the #Vikings, #Patriots, and #Commanders all like Jayden Daniels best, the Pats and Vikes like JJ McCarthy, but only the Vikes like Maye. The Pats may trade down with the Vikes if Daniels isn't there at #3, but only if the Vikes take Maye so the Pats can take McCarthy later.

Also if the Vikes don't take Maye, he could be this year's Will Levis.

Maye has many flaws to fix before he would ever see the field. Maybe we can fix him after 2 or 3 seasons, but then his rookie Contract would be mostly used up.

However, I believe the Vikings will give up 4 FRPs to move up to 3 and take Maye there.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 3/25/2024 5:56:39 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 803
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/25/2024 6:27:52 PM   
Mark Anderson

I'm just watching a highlight reel but Maye looks alot like Herbert to me.
Post #: 804
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/25/2024 6:58:55 PM   
kgdabom

Nfl insider just spoke to all the owners and gms and the meeting today he said to all the people he talked to who knows the commanders believe there going JJ Mccarthy at 2 👀

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 805
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/25/2024 7:03:30 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

I'm just watching a highlight reel but Maye looks alot like Herbert to me.

Highlights are worthless. You need to watch game film or go to a scout's breakdown. Kurt Warner is highly regarded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T79DSxztUEQ

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 806
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/25/2024 7:15:44 PM   
marty

KGDABOM - what are you saying about Maye, what are your feelings about him ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 807
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/25/2024 7:18:02 PM   
marty

I think the 2 is pretty much off limits. But if NE is not sold on (especially) Maye or McCarthy, I could see them trading down. But probably not lower than 5 if they do like McCarthy

IF NE isn't sold on Maye, but like McCarthy, is it possible they trade down with the Vikings, and then either hope McCarthy makes it to #11, or they trade back up to #8 to get him ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 808
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/25/2024 7:26:42 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

KGDABOM - what are you saying about Maye, what are your feelings about him ?

He's a marvelous physical specimen, but so was Ryan Leaf. I don't like Maye. I've been thinking I might take him at 11 on potential, but maybe not.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 809
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/25/2024 7:32:57 PM   
David Levine

quote:

I think the 2 is pretty much off limits. But if NE is not sold on (especially) Maye or McCarthy, I could see them trading down. But probably not lower than 5 if they do like McCarthy

IF NE isn't sold on Maye, but like McCarthy, is it possible they trade down with the Vikings, and then either hope McCarthy makes it to #11, or they trade back up to #8 to get him ?

That's completely out of our control.

If they want McCarthy and they think he'll be available at 5, we need to get that 5th pick to trade to them.
Post #: 810
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/25/2024 7:58:47 PM   
kgdabom

I'm starting to lose my thinking that McCarthy might fall to 11. I won't be surprised now if he goes #2.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 811
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/25/2024 8:03:22 PM   
kgdabom

A post I really liked from another message board.

Even if McCarthy isn't there at 11, so what?

The draft buzz around QBs at this time of year always makes me shake my head in disbelief. I mean, look a the last 10+ years of QBs taken in the 1st round and it's easy to see why that is. So many of the guys who are overly hyped based on their college tape and "potential to develop" end up out of the league in a few years, much less becoming effective starters, and even fewer wind up becoming the franchise QBs of the teams that drafted them. Just look at Justin Fields as a perfect recent example of that. Or Zac Wilson. Or name-the-flavor-of-the-month. Even if the pre-draft evals all line up, the physicals all are great, and everyone from the guy's uncle to his coach to his former grade school classmates sing his praises as a person and leader, the vast majority of these guys end up living in a van down by the river (for those of you too young to know that reference, look up Matt Foley, Motivational Speaker).

I think the chances of JJ McCarthy turning into the next great franchise QB in the pros is maybe, maybe...., like .5% better than Bo Nix turning into that player. And that might be very generous as it is probably much less than that.

The whole point of the draft is to make the team better, and sure, finding a guy who can be an impact player at QB for the next 10+ years is worth a lot, but so is finding a guy who can be an impact DE, CB, WR, or any of the other positions that make up a TEAM. The name of the game in the draft is to improve the TEAM. So taking a swing at the most important position is fine if the swing is intentional and more likely to hit than not. But if the swing is wild or desperate at that position while it would be much more likely to hit at another position, then a guy like KAM should know better than to take the wild swing and go for the result that is likely to have a bigger impact.

Desperation drives poor decisions. A team ends up desperate because of poor past decisions. The best way to ensure continued desperation is making more poor decisions. The only way to get up off the floor after making poor decisions to is to stop making more poor decisions. Let others take the wild swings, and better yet, take advantage of their errors because the more of these QBs that end up going in the top 10 this year, the more really good and potentially great players at other positions have to fall.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 812
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/25/2024 8:24:30 PM   
Todd M

Things could be shaping up nicely to get Maye at 4 or 5 and save some draft stock.
Post #: 813
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/25/2024 8:35:22 PM   
kgdabom

Joel Klatt still loves Drake Maye.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLDhj53sIE0&ab_channel=TheJoelKlattShow%3AACollegeFootballPodcast

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 814
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/25/2024 9:09:39 PM   
marty

Getting great players, like Hunter for example, while not having a QB that can go on a playoff run, is sorta worthless.

It's better to get the right QB first, it makes everything around the team better. Then it's not as big of deal if you miss on first round picks, you can still make the playoffs with a good QB, and possibly go on a playoff run.

And if you miss, you can plug in a veteran (like Hunter, for example) the following season, and then go on a playoff run and win the Super Bowl.

That seems like a better plan, than drafting a pretty good defensive player, and then if you miss on a QB the next season, trying to pay the expensive price of getting a good veteran QB, that might carry you on a playoff run.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 815
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/25/2024 9:18:36 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Getting great players, like Hunter for example, while not having a QB that can go on a playoff run, is sorta worthless.

It's better to get the right QB first, it makes everything around the team better. Then it's not as big of deal if you miss on first round picks, you can still make the playoffs with a good QB, and possibly go on a playoff run.

And if you miss, you can plug in a veteran (like Hunter, for example) the following season, and then go on a playoff run and win the Super Bowl.

That seems like a better plan, than drafting a pretty good defensive player, and then if you miss on a QB the next season, trying to pay the expensive price of getting a good veteran QB, that might carry you on a playoff run.

Getting a good even great QB is of course a good idea. if only it were as simple as just wanting one. Getting a qb as early as possible in the draft gives you a better chance of getting a great one. The Vikings have a very good pick top 3rd in the draft at 11 to get a good to great QB. We could trade up to increase that chance a bit, however that costs resources. It's up to Kwesi to decide if trading up is worth resources and how much resources.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 816
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/25/2024 10:22:12 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Things could be shaping up nicely to get Maye at 4 or 5 and save some draft stock.

A new mock from the Athletic has NE taking McCarthy at 3 and the Vikings taking Maye at 4.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 817
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/25/2024 10:53:30 PM   
Chris Olson

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

With the blitz of articles this past week espousing how "aggressive" the Vikings will be in moving up in the draft, I'm starting to feel like it could be smoke on some level.

Like, could Kwesi be savvy enough to be letting teams think he is willing to give up 4 firsts to move up and let them sweat when we don't call?

Then they call us and we get a better deal?

And the other story this week being that we sent everyone to hang out with JJ this week as more smoke that he is the guy we really like and are moving to 4 for him...

and instead we pass and move up one spot for Penix?

Or to bait another team to move up for him?

Just seems weird that we would be so transparent

I appreciate you trying to cheer me up, but I'm convinced Kwesi will do whatever it takes to move up.

Cheer you up? Exciting to get a try QBOTF. Darnold is actually fairly young also. Trade party is going to be rocking and what will you be doing?

Reminding us where we coulda/shoulda got our guy.

Nope. I will just be getting very depressed.

Why? What we have done in FA and the Draft will be fun with more involvement now whether we stay or trade up.

Darnold and QBOTF both should get your daper up.

I've decided Darnold might not suck so all the more reason for us NOT to trade up. You know my thoughts on Kwesi's drafting acumen. He's probably the worst GM at that in the NFL. I see him giving up huge assets to move up for a player and it will be the wrong player to boot. Nope. My dapper will not be up.

Ironically and sadistically (to me), the more I read about the prospects the more I am coming around to staying put. I have become a little less enthusiastic about Maye and McCarthy (since yesterday so that can change in a hurry) ... I think Nix is actually growing on me a little bit (could also be a form of head lice).

Please don't infer that you influence me in any way. Although, if I'm honest, it really annoys me when you're right (Treadwell). Which doesn't happen all that often. For anybody where the draft is related. But I suppose that's a negative influence.

My point ... even when you were spot on with Treadwell ... your negative campaign against him was over the top annoying .... nobody knows for sure at that point ... it is still a guess at that point and while criticizing a pick(s) is perfectly fine ... going on and on with certainty before the draft has even ended, can be a true buzzkill.

Its one thing, after twelve seasons to hold a buzzkill opinion of a Cousins and his big game ineptitude ... its another to bludgeon everybody with your certainty about prospects before we are even done with the draft.

Keep a little perspective please. See how it goes.

I appreciate what you're saying Tom. When it comes to Treadwell I did pretty extensive research on him which for me was about 3 hours. In all the film I watched he almost never got separation. I kept hearing how great he was on contested passes and that's good I guess, but I very much prefer receivers who seldom have to make contested catches. For sharing that opinion I was getting attacked big time.

LMAO!!!

I was just talking to my buddy today about how there are people on my Vikings message board that always get their favorites and trumpet them ad infinitum to the board...then I used the Treadwell example about how you said he's too slow and can't get separation (over and over again)

I actually respect your opinions and I love to hear them. You are a thoughtful and dedicated Vikings fan that I am grateful for on this board. Hopefully you can see how you latch onto an opinion and repeat it ad nauseum and find humor in that. This year, it seems your take that NFL ready Bo Nix is #3 and Project Drake Maye is #6 is your pet stance.

I think everyone gets their favorites, but not everyone trumpets that opinion as repetitively and heavy handedly as you. That's what bugs so many posters and why posts get adversarial.

That said, I look forward to reading yours and everyone else's opinions on our draft possibilities and especially our potential next QB!
Post #: 818
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/25/2024 11:01:08 PM   
Chris Olson

quote:

Nfl insider just spoke to all the owners and gms and the meeting today he said to all the people he talked to who knows the commanders believe there going JJ Mccarthy at 2 👀

Crazy, right?

I just read that report, too. To me this feels like smokescreen as much as anything I've seen yet...trying to get the Vikes to give them 3-4 firsts for #2

Still want Daniels there...would accept Maye, but I am still not sold on JJM...
Post #: 819
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/25/2024 11:21:36 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

With the blitz of articles this past week espousing how "aggressive" the Vikings will be in moving up in the draft, I'm starting to feel like it could be smoke on some level.

Like, could Kwesi be savvy enough to be letting teams think he is willing to give up 4 firsts to move up and let them sweat when we don't call?

Then they call us and we get a better deal?

And the other story this week being that we sent everyone to hang out with JJ this week as more smoke that he is the guy we really like and are moving to 4 for him...

and instead we pass and move up one spot for Penix?

Or to bait another team to move up for him?

Just seems weird that we would be so transparent

I appreciate you trying to cheer me up, but I'm convinced Kwesi will do whatever it takes to move up.

Cheer you up? Exciting to get a try QBOTF. Darnold is actually fairly young also. Trade party is going to be rocking and what will you be doing?

Reminding us where we coulda/shoulda got our guy.

Nope. I will just be getting very depressed.

Why? What we have done in FA and the Draft will be fun with more involvement now whether we stay or trade up.

Darnold and QBOTF both should get your daper up.

I've decided Darnold might not suck so all the more reason for us NOT to trade up. You know my thoughts on Kwesi's drafting acumen. He's probably the worst GM at that in the NFL. I see him giving up huge assets to move up for a player and it will be the wrong player to boot. Nope. My dapper will not be up.

Ironically and sadistically (to me), the more I read about the prospects the more I am coming around to staying put. I have become a little less enthusiastic about Maye and McCarthy (since yesterday so that can change in a hurry) ... I think Nix is actually growing on me a little bit (could also be a form of head lice).

Please don't infer that you influence me in any way. Although, if I'm honest, it really annoys me when you're right (Treadwell). Which doesn't happen all that often. For anybody where the draft is related. But I suppose that's a negative influence.

My point ... even when you were spot on with Treadwell ... your negative campaign against him was over the top annoying .... nobody knows for sure at that point ... it is still a guess at that point and while criticizing a pick(s) is perfectly fine ... going on and on with certainty before the draft has even ended, can be a true buzzkill.

Its one thing, after twelve seasons to hold a buzzkill opinion of a Cousins and his big game ineptitude ... its another to bludgeon everybody with your certainty about prospects before we are even done with the draft.

Keep a little perspective please. See how it goes.

I appreciate what you're saying Tom. When it comes to Treadwell I did pretty extensive research on him which for me was about 3 hours. In all the film I watched he almost never got separation. I kept hearing how great he was on contested passes and that's good I guess, but I very much prefer receivers who seldom have to make contested catches. For sharing that opinion I was getting attacked big time.

LMAO!!!

I was just talking to my buddy today about how there are people on my Vikings message board that always get their favorites and trumpet them ad infinitum to the board...then I used the Treadwell example about how you said he's too slow and can't get separation (over and over again)

I actually respect your opinions and I love to hear them. You are a thoughtful and dedicated Vikings fan that I am grateful for on this board. Hopefully you can see how you latch onto an opinion and repeat it ad nauseum and find humor in that. This year, it seems your take that NFL ready Bo Nix is #3 and Project Drake Maye is #6 is your pet stance.

I think everyone gets their favorites, but not everyone trumpets that opinion as repetitively and heavy handedly as you. That's what bugs so many posters and why posts get adversarial.

That said, I look forward to reading yours and everyone else's opinions on our draft possibilities and especially our potential next QB!

Thanks. I think. I'm shuffling back and forth on Maye and Nix. Yesterday I had Maye above Nix. Today I have Nix and Penix above Maye. I'm not locked into either stance. I'm trying to stay flexible like the Vikings. The thing I do know is I'm not interested in trading up from 11 unless it's Willaims and Daniels and I'm pretty sure they aren't available at a fair price. My QB order is Williams, Daniels, McCarthy, Nix, Penix Maye as of this moment.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 820
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/25/2024 11:27:36 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLDhj53sIE0&ab_channel=TheJoelKlattShow%3AACollegeFootballPodcast

Daniel Jeremiah has Maye at #2 QB

Bucky Brooks #3

Charlie Campbell (Walterfootball) #3
Post #: 821
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/25/2024 11:30:16 PM   
Tom Sykes

I see KOC, Kwesi and even Mark Wilf doing interviews with the nfl.com guys ...

Its like a media blitz to keep our interest in drafting a QB in the spotlight. So weird.

The QB discussion has blocked out all discussion about any other position. A QB eclipse if you will, without all the daft conspiracy theories.

How the hell do we expect to sneak by all the other QB desperate teams by waving bear bells over our head?
Post #: 822
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/26/2024 12:16:40 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Bucky Brooks #3

Klatt is a month old. How recent are those three you mentioned. The newer they are the lower Maye will be is my guess.
Simms #6.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 3/26/2024 12:25:49 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 823
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/26/2024 12:17:39 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

I see KOC, Kwesi and even Mark Wilf doing interviews with the nfl.com guys ...

Its like a media blitz to keep our interest in drafting a QB in the spotlight. So weird.

The QB discussion has blocked out all discussion about any other position. A QB eclipse if you will, without all the daft conspiracy theories.

How the hell do we expect to sneak by all the other QB desperate teams by waving bear bells over our head?

Yep.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 824
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/26/2024 3:17:29 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bucky Brooks #3

Klatt is a month old. How recent are those three you mentioned. The newer they are the lower Maye will be is my guess.
Simms #6.

simms said that kellen mond was the next big thing....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 825
Page:   <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode