Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2024 Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/29/2024 1:19:55 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

Before the smokescreens and over-analyzation

Williams Daniels Maye … top three picks of draft

McCarthy Nix Penix … outside the top ten picks

Any one of these guys is our best prospect since Daunte and, therefore, this century. That’s both exciting and pathetic.

I can see people already pushing Darnold into the ‘misused but potential starter’ range … ‘he was on bad teams’ etc which are apples from the same Cousins Excuse tree. Darnold is a journeyman and the seventh option on our list of QB hopefulls and only if we screw up the draft and whiff on beginning a legitimate QB plan of action.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 951
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/29/2024 3:29:23 PM   
Todd M

Looking at the pro day vids McCarthy has the best release. Ball fires out of his hand.
Post #: 952
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/29/2024 4:01:51 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Looking at the pro day vids McCarthy has the best release. Ball fires out of his hand.

He's got a cannon and a quick release. The problem according to scouts is he doesn't have good touch. Not good at Layering his passes that kind of thing.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 953
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/29/2024 4:58:33 PM   
Todd M

Williams is chocolate pudding with too many sprinkles.
Maye is vanilla pudding.
Daniels is low fat sugar free chocolate mousse.
Penix is chocolate eclair crunch bar with a lot of the cakey bits fallen off.
McCarthy is HÄAGEN-DAZS White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Ice Cream.
Bo Nix is a banana popsicle.
Post #: 954
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/29/2024 6:30:50 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Williams is chocolate pudding with too many sprinkles.
Maye is vanilla pudding.
Daniels is low fat sugar free chocolate mousse.
Penix is chocolate eclair crunch bar with a lot of the cakey bits fallen off.
McCarthy is HÄAGEN-DAZS White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Ice Cream.
Bo Nix is a banana popsicle.

In that case McCarthy is the easy choice.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 955
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/29/2024 11:31:51 PM   
kgdabom

This young guy does some of the best QB breakdowns in the business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gk_ngfX-4E

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 956
RE: 2024 Draft - 3/30/2024 9:08:21 PM   
kgdabom

Mark are you going to run a draft contest for us?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 957
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/1/2024 1:51:25 PM   
kgdabom

I found the following on the PurplePain forums.

Perhaps the most respected analyst of college players entering the draft is Greg Cosell. He’s honest, objective and unbiased. He isn’t beholding to any giant sports company.

Here is his ranking of the top 6 QBs in the draft with an additional comment on JJ McCarthy:

From @mikeklis this morning highlighting the QB rankings of @gregcosell and @jimmiller_NFL is a little different than we’ve seen.

1. Jayden Daniels
2. Drake Maye
3. Caleb Williams
4. Michael Penix Jr
5. Bo Nix
6. JJ McCarthy

Of note, on JJ McCarthy they had this to say…

“I don’t think McCarthy’s tape is very good,’’ Cosell said. “I’ve talked to a lot of people about McCarthy. I don’t know where all this momentum is coming from because I’ve not talked to anyone – I’m talking about people in the league – who see McCarthy that way.’’

“Remember when Colin Kaepernick was with Harbaugh out in San Francisco?’’ Miller said. “Everything was a fastball. He could never make touch throws. He could never go up and down, over the linebacker because everything was a three-quarter (delivery) fastball. (McCarthy’s) a lot like that and he misses a lot of throws over the middle where he’s behind the receiver.”
I've been coming around on McCarthy and thinking it wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen if we trade up to 4 using picks 11 and 23 with nothing else. If this Cosell guy knows his stuff that takes me out of wanting to trade up under any circumstances.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 958
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/1/2024 9:07:08 PM   
lyle chabot

Just a thought
If Williams is being a prima donna what if the Bears pass on him and take Daniels, the Commanders take JJ and the Pats take Mayes, and Williams starts to fall what do the Vikes do?
Post #: 959
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/2/2024 7:38:50 AM   
TJSweens

Williams has said that he expects to be a Chicago Bear and go #1. I read this in an NBC article.

“It’s not a thought in my mind,” Williams said of not being drafted No. 1 overall. “I don’t think I’m not going to be No. 1. I put in all the hard work. All of the time, effort, energy into being that.

He also isn't afraid the QB history in Chicago.

“No. Not at all,” Williams said of being scared off by the Bears’ history with quarterbacks. “I don’t compare myself to the other guys that’s there or been there. I’m my own player and I tend to like to create history and rewrite history.”

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 960
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/2/2024 8:37:11 AM   
marty

. If this Cosell guy knows his stuff that takes me out of wanting to trade up under any circumstances

But wouldn't it make you fine with a move up for Daniels or Maye, or even Williams?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 961
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/2/2024 10:02:29 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

. If this Cosell guy knows his stuff that takes me out of wanting to trade up under any circumstances

But wouldn't it make you fine with a move up for Daniels or Maye, or even Williams?

Cosell is just a guy. Being a good draft or sports analyst is not expertise, its just being a fan with more time and resources than the rest of us and, at the upper level, making a career out of being a fan / making income off of other gullible fans. He’s not going to influence any nfl team personnel.

Some of these guys that used to be ‘legitimate’ scouts still only makes them experts at trying to predict human behavior and development (which nobody can do very well).

KG is an easily influenced, big hairy crouton being tossed around in a salad of fast changing opinion.
Post #: 962
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/2/2024 12:33:02 PM   
marty

Here is a trade proposal with NE (#3) that I like:

https://share.newsbreak.com/6jqgnbk4

In this proposal the Vikings don't have to give up their 2nd 1st round pick (#23), instead the Vikings just send their #11 along with next year's 1st round pick, and next year's 7th, but the Vikings get NEs 1st round pick (#3), and 3rd round pick (#68), which is almost a 2nd rounder.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 963
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/2/2024 12:36:09 PM   
David Levine

quote:

In this proposal the Vikings don't have to give up their 2nd 1st round pick (#23), instead the Vikings just send their #11 along with next year's 1st round pick, and next year's 7th, but the Vikings get NEs 1st round pick (#3), and 3rd round pick (#68), which is almost a 2nd rounder.

I love it too.

It totally hoses the Patriots and is a ridiculous steal for us.
Post #: 964
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/2/2024 12:37:29 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Nope. I was already strongly against trading up for them.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 965
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/2/2024 12:39:44 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Cosell is just a guy. Being a good draft or sports analyst is not expertise, its just being a fan with more time and resources than the rest of us and, at the upper level, making a career out of being a fan / making income off of other gullible fans. He’s not going to influence any nfl team personnel.

Some of these guys that used to be ‘legitimate’ scouts still only makes them experts at trying to predict human behavior and development (which nobody can do very well).

KG is an easily influenced, big hairy crouton being tossed around in a salad of fast changing opinion.

Not easily influenced, but I'm not so rigid in my opinions that they can't be changed.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 966
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/2/2024 12:41:58 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

That Deal might be too good for me to pass up.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 967
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/2/2024 12:42:47 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

I love it too.

It totally hoses the Patriots and is a ridiculous steal for us.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 968
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/2/2024 1:10:35 PM   
Chris Olson

quote:

quote:

I have always loved hearing Greg Cosell's perspectives...

Maybe he is just well spoken, but his interviews on NFL radio over the years have always sounded thoughtful and perceptive when discussing players...I think he is more respected than "just a guy" in the NFL scouting world
Post #: 969
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/2/2024 1:19:04 PM   
osure

My question of some of you is

1 who do most of you want for a qb?
2 Who is going to be the bust as it seems at the top you still have a 50/50 chance of getting a bad qb
Post #: 970
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/2/2024 1:36:53 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

quote:

quote:

Maybe he is just well spoken, but his interviews on NFL radio over the years have always sounded thoughtful and perceptive when discussing players...I think he is more respected than "just a guy" in the NFL scouting world

I watched a couple of his reviews. Read a couple of online articles by and about Greg Cosell. Before posting my remark.

He is well spoken and knowledgeable.

But ... he's not in the NFL scouting world. He's in the fan world of nfl analysis.

There is a difference.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 4/2/2024 1:50:36 PM >
Post #: 971
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/2/2024 3:12:36 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

quote:

quote:

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 972
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/2/2024 3:12:49 PM   
Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: osure

My question of some of you is

1 who do most of you want for a qb?
2 Who is going to be the bust as it seems at the top you still have a 50/50 chance of getting a bad qb

1a) Whoever KOC identifies as the best QB for the team
1b) Jayden Daniels, he's electric!

2a) No idea, QB evaluation from college to the NFL may be the most difficult thing to do in all of professional sports, even for scouts and GM's who miss every year.
2b) I'll say Bo Nix. I think the top 3 may be good enough to overcome bad situations and McCarthy likely will be drafted into a better situation(Vikings/Broncos).

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 973
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/2/2024 3:13:48 PM   
kgdabom

Vikings meet with Penix as reported by Will Ragatz.

The Vikings' deep-dive research on the 2024 NFL Draft's quarterback class has been in full swing for weeks. They met with all of the potential first-round quarterback prospects at the combine, they've had representatives — including QB coach Josh McCown — at these schools' pro days, and most importantly, they've been traveling to campus sites to put the players through private workouts that are specialized to their offense. In those workouts, which are led by Kevin O'Connell and Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, O'Connell can see how well a quarterback learns a concept from the Vikings' offense and immediately translates it to the practice field.

The Vikings recently traveled to Seattle to put Michael Penix Jr. through a private workout following Washington's pro day, according to Bleacher Report's Jordan Schultz. The Heisman finalist is projected to be a mid-to-late first-round pick in a few weeks.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 974
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/2/2024 3:42:08 PM   
TJSweens

Cosell says McCarthy misses a lot of throws over the middle. PFF says...

STRENGTHS
McCarthy’s biggest strength is his ability to make throws over the middle of the field. While he didn’t have as many dropbacks as his 2024 NFL Draft counterparts, he still attacked the middle of the field at a high rate. He attempted 97 throws between the hashes last season, which was the 17th most in the FBS. On those throws, he earned a 91.2 passing grade and recorded an 85.6% adjusted completion percentage. Both of those numbers were in the top 10 among FBS quarterbacks. Making anticipatory throws over the middle of the field is McCarthy's calling card, and it’s a very translatable skill when it comes to graduating to the NFL.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 975
Page:   <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode