Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2024 Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:00:12 PM   
kgdabom

Selecting Penix at 8 is honestly one of the most surprising Draft selections I've ever seen.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1826
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:00:40 PM   
marty

KGDABOM you were quite accurate on a lot of stuff tonight.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1827
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:01:41 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

KGDABOM you were quite accurate on a lot of stuff tonight.

Thanks. I did OK.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1828
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:15:59 PM  1 votes
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

thrilled with what we got...I'm all for getting "Dudes over Depth"

Same Chris!!

Man, absolutely! Instead of 5 or 6 mid round picks, we took studs.

And of the 2nd 3 qbs available I'm glad we went JJ. Not sure about him still but Penix will probably be hurt if he plays a substantial amount and I absolutely wasn't sold at all on Nix.

Nix will most likely be Rookie of the Year.

I'd be shocked if that happened.

Nix will start right away or by week 3 at the latest. He will put up big numbers. He will be one of the top RotY candidates for sure. If McCarthy starts soon he may beat Nix out.

Good Lord.

Nix just got Dillon Mitchelled.

Poor thing.

Tom whatever. I saw a great player in Mitchell. It turns out I was wrong. As for tonight's draft how well did I call things? I'm on fire. Anybody who touches me better be wearing asbestos gloves. I could be wrong about Nix having a good shot at rookie of the year. How about calling him being picked at 12 tonight. I sure was right about that one.

Its not how right you are. Or how wrong you are.

Its the obnoxious way you go about it.
Post #: 1829
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:19:48 PM   
Mark Anderson

Great job KAM

He didn't panic and sell farm for JJ. Then the great move to get Turner.

Atlanta, WOW, #8 pick who might not see the field until he is 27 years old. And if he does see the field earlier than that, you have the most expensive backup QB in NFL history.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 4/25/2024 11:20:49 PM >
Post #: 1830
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:40:59 PM   
David Levine

Turner: 40.5” vertical. 10’7 broad jump.

4.46 40.

Physical freak, but also super productive. The SEC Defensive Player of the Year and Consensus All-American finished 2023 second in the conference in tackles for loss (15) and first in sacks (10).
Post #: 1831
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:55:44 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

quote:

quote:

thrilled with what we got...I'm all for getting "Dudes over Depth"

Same Chris!!

Man, absolutely! Instead of 5 or 6 mid round picks, we took studs.

And of the 2nd 3 qbs available I'm glad we went JJ. Not sure about him still but Penix will probably be hurt if he plays a substantial amount and I absolutely wasn't sold at all on Nix.

Nix will most likely be Rookie of the Year.

I'd be shocked if that happened.

Nix will start right away or by week 3 at the latest. He will put up big numbers. He will be one of the top RotY candidates for sure. If McCarthy starts soon he may beat Nix out.

Good Lord.

Nix just got Dillon Mitchelled.

Poor thing.

Tom whatever. I saw a great player in Mitchell. It turns out I was wrong. As for tonight's draft how well did I call things? I'm on fire. Anybody who touches me better be wearing asbestos gloves. I could be wrong about Nix having a good shot at rookie of the year. How about calling him being picked at 12 tonight. I sure was right about that one.

Its not how right you are. Or how wrong you are.

Its the obnoxious way you go about it.

I'm just having some fun. People challenged my opinions on the draft and I came up big.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1832
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:56:59 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Great job KAM

He didn't panic and sell farm for JJ. Then the great move to get Turner.

Atlanta, WOW, #8 pick who might not see the field until he is 27 years old. And if he does see the field earlier than that, you have the most expensive backup QB in NFL history.

KAM went from the worst drafter in the NFL to the Best. I am so psyched.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1833
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:58:02 PM   
kgdabom

Here's an excellent evaluation of the Turner Pick. They only give it a B grade because of the high price we paid to get him, but they also call him the best defender in the draft.

17. Minnesota Vikings (via Jacksonville): Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama

Strengths: Lightning-quick, fluid defender off the edge, excellent flexibility, quickness to disrupt the run, pop in his hands to employ bull rush and stack blockers

Weaknesses: Can add strength and bulk, gets hung up on blocks once engaged, still developing pass-rush technique

Dallas Turner's upside is extraordinary. He didn't really even start to realize his immense potential until this past season with the Alabama Crimson Tide.

Turner originally joined the program as a 5-star recruit, but he played second fiddle to Will Anderson Jr. during his first two seasons with the Crimson Tide. Turner always had plenty of natural ability, but he had to get out of Anderson's shadow.

"Honestly, like the main thing he told me, just relax," Turner told reporters in August. ".. It's all about football now. It's not, just don't put so much pressure on yourself. Because you know, the type of name and all the hype you have to quote-unquote, live up to. You know, just relax, and be you. Everything will fall in place."

Anderson was right. Turner registered 14.5 tackles for loss and 10 sacks on his way to become the co-SEC Defensive Player of the Year and a consensus All-American.

The 21-year-old is only scratching the surface considering his ample athletic profile, which includes a 4.46-second 40-yard dash, a 40.5-inch vertical and a 10'7" broad jump. He's going to get better as he continues to evolve his technique and add strength.

The Minnesota Vikings didn't need to burn their extra first-round pick to land their new franchise quarterback in J.J. McCarthy. That gave them the ability to move around later in the first round.

The Indianapolis Colts started a run on defensive prospects by selecting Laiatu Latu, and the Seattle Seahawks followed with Byron Murphy II. At No. 17, Minnesota saw the moment to strike for arguably the defensive player with the most upside overall in this year's class.

The Vikings needed to move a fifth-round pick and a pair of 2025 middle-round picks to trade up, but they're gaining an explosive edge to pair with the offseason additions of Jonathan Greenard and Andrew Van Ginkel. That should help them replace the production of Danielle Hunter and DJ Wonnum, both of whom left this offseason.

Turner's upside justifies the risk of giving up a few later-round picks.

Grade: B

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 4/25/2024 11:59:49 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1834
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:58:36 PM   
kgdabom

I love this Bleacher Report evaluation of JJ.

10. Minnesota Vikings (via New York Jets): JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan
10 OF 32

Strengths: Nifty movement skills inside and outside of pocket, drives ball over middle of the field and outside the numbers, works well within pro-style structure, pressure doesn't faze him

Weaknesses: Lack of touch when layered throws are necessary, sub-par deep passer, inconsistent footwork, particularly when throwing to his left

J.J. McCarthy is the NFL draft's version of an abstract painting. The viewer projects what they want to see upon his body of work.

From a fundamental standpoint, the 21-year-old's skill set is well-crafted. McCarthy is a 6'3", 219-pound quarterback with excellent arm action, pocket movement and mobility. He has the canvas to be something truly special.

At the same time, the picture isn't complete. McCarthy made some phenomenal throws during Michigan's run to a national title, but he played in a run-first offense and he averaged at least five fewer attempts per game than any of the other this year's top quarterback prospects.

The number itself isn't a problem, because his traits can still be projected. But he had fewer opportunities to make critical throws during key, late-game moments.

Still, the ability is present. Really, the standard for McCarthy is built upon his internal makeup.

"...once [NFL scouts] were around him, I was hearing the stories about how he is on the board, how he is on the field, the little things, the intangibles," former Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh told reporters. "I mean, it was absolutely no surprise whatsoever. But yeah, there was raving, and it was great to hear and incredible to hear."

Kudos, Minnesota Vikings. They didn't bite on all the rumor-mongering about McCarthy going much higher in the draft. Instead of moving their extra first-round pick to trade up into the top five, the Vikings flipped fourth- and fifth-round picks to move up one spot, while getting a sixth-rounder back.

McCarthy moves into an awesome situation with Justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison at wide receiver as well as T.J. Hockenson at tight end. The 21-year-old will also get to work with head coach/offensive play-caller Kevin O'Connell and quarterbacks coach Josh McCown, both of whom played quarterback in the NFL.

Grade: A

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1835
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 12:05:19 AM   
lyle chabot

I am happy with this draft! we did not sell the farm to move up for a QB and got a stud defender I did not think would be there at 17. Penix at #8 to Atlanta WHAT? that is Karma for tampering lol!
Post #: 1836
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 12:08:05 AM   
lyle chabot

quote:

I love this Bleacher Report evaluation of JJ.

10. Minnesota Vikings (via New York Jets): JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan
10 OF 32

Strengths: Nifty movement skills inside and outside of pocket, drives ball over middle of the field and outside the numbers, works well within pro-style structure, pressure doesn't faze him

Weaknesses: Lack of touch when layered throws are necessary, sub-par deep passer, inconsistent footwork, particularly when throwing to his left

J.J. McCarthy is the NFL draft's version of an abstract painting. The viewer projects what they want to see upon his body of work.

From a fundamental standpoint, the 21-year-old's skill set is well-crafted. McCarthy is a 6'3", 219-pound quarterback with excellent arm action, pocket movement and mobility. He has the canvas to be something truly special.

At the same time, the picture isn't complete. McCarthy made some phenomenal throws during Michigan's run to a national title, but he played in a run-first offense and he averaged at least five fewer attempts per game than any of the other this year's top quarterback prospects.

The number itself isn't a problem, because his traits can still be projected. But he had fewer opportunities to make critical throws during key, late-game moments.

Still, the ability is present. Really, the standard for McCarthy is built upon his internal makeup.

"...once [NFL scouts] were around him, I was hearing the stories about how he is on the board, how he is on the field, the little things, the intangibles," former Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh told reporters. "I mean, it was absolutely no surprise whatsoever. But yeah, there was raving, and it was great to hear and incredible to hear."

Kudos, Minnesota Vikings. They didn't bite on all the rumor-mongering about McCarthy going much higher in the draft. Instead of moving their extra first-round pick to trade up into the top five, the Vikings flipped fourth- and fifth-round picks to move up one spot, while getting a sixth-rounder back.

McCarthy moves into an awesome situation with Justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison at wide receiver as well as T.J. Hockenson at tight end. The 21-year-old will also get to work with head coach/offensive play-caller Kevin O'Connell and quarterbacks coach Josh McCown, both of whom played quarterback in the NFL.

Grade: A

Nice!
Post #: 1837
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 1:38:12 AM   
marty

A LOT of Mock Drafts had the Vikings taking McCarthy; I bet not a
single one had them getting McCarthy and Turner.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1838
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 5:34:39 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Bill Barnwell@billbarnwell
Vikings ended up trading picks 167, 188, and their 2025 second-, third-, and fourth-round picks to move up from 42 to 17.

Field Yates@FieldYates
Following a series of trades, the Vikings now have just 3 picks in the 2025 NFL Draft:
A 1st round pick and two 5th round picks.

Since January 1st, I have gathered 838 different selections from across the industry with 35 different players being selected. Just in the last four days, 142 mock drafts were gathered. Last year, the second-most mocked player became a Vikings. Will the Vikings see that happen on Thursday night? Time will tell...tyler forness

Player Total
QB J.J. McCarthy 273
QB Drake Maye 88
EDGE Laiatu Latu 52
DT Johnny Newton 59

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 4/26/2024 5:40:30 AM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1839
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 6:01:00 AM   
Todd M

Nice feeling this morning. Got goosebumps listening to JJ get the call.
Post #: 1840
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 7:50:49 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Nice feeling this morning. Got goosebumps listening to JJ get the call.

The good feeling is that not only is there cap space this year and next for what FA they still think they need or pay JJ forward there is a sense that we are moving forward. I started feeling more confident about the job Kwesi has been doing after what he did in FA this year.

In truth those restructures to Kirk and others were done because of the mess Spielman left behind.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1841
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 8:07:31 AM   
Todd M

Gotta give Kwesi credit. He’s shown growth in the role.

Deserves a clean slate.
Post #: 1842
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 8:12:42 AM   
Phil Riewer

After watching what JJ did in college....I have a comparison to JJ. Was a guy that was redshirted and had to transfer out of Ohio State after his third year in order to lead his team to a championship. Has a ton of Intangibles.

He reminds me of Joe Burrow.

Post #: 1843
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 8:18:51 AM   
Phil Riewer

KFAN was talking about the main reason Michigan ran so much was that the strength of their OLine was run blocking and they weren't very good at pass blocking.

Post #: 1844
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 8:29:33 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

I like that there will feel like no pressure to play JJ this year...

unless Sam completely sucks, though I expect him to be a top half of the league QB

Idk about this. We still have an extremely leaky IOL and nothing has been done to date to shore it up. Couple that with a questionable run blocking scheme. Not sure how much Darnold can handle (being damaged goods). But McCarthy absolutely shouldn't be thrown into the fire no matter how much everyone will want to see him.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1845
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 8:31:09 AM   
marty

Most mocks had Atlanta taking Dallas Turner at 8.

Atlanta is the gift that keeps on giving.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1846
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 8:33:09 AM   
marty

They've talked about JJ being the next Stroud, then you may as well start him right away.

His ability to move in the pocket is better than Kirk, so he will deal with the OLs pass blocking better than Kirk would have.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1847
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 8:42:55 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Bill Barnwell@billbarnwell
Vikings ended up trading picks 167, 188, and their 2025 second-, third-, and fourth-round picks to move up from 42 to 17.

Field Yates@FieldYates
Following a series of trades, the Vikings now have just 3 picks in the 2025 NFL Draft:
A 1st round pick and two 5th round picks.

Since January 1st, I have gathered 838 different selections from across the industry with 35 different players being selected. Just in the last four days, 142 mock drafts were gathered. Last year, the second-most mocked player became a Vikings. Will the Vikings see that happen on Thursday night? Time will tell...tyler forness

Player Total
QB J.J. McCarthy 273
QB Drake Maye 88
EDGE Laiatu Latu 52
DT Johnny Newton 59

So around the equivalent of an extra high 3rd, and that's not devaluing the worth of future picks (if you degrade them a round we come out ahead by a low 3rd).

IMO the run on defenders started and while there would have been good prospects at #23, they wouldn't be Dallas Turner level.
Post #: 1848
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 8:45:56 AM   
Ricky J

Good stuff.
Wouldnt be cool to come up with one more good find, undrafted or otherwise?
Post #: 1849
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 8:48:33 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Geez, the guy is all over the place!

https://youtu.be/4u-j9Y6kKb8

A Gazelle

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1850
Page:   <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode