Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2024 Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 8:50:25 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

I like that there will feel like no pressure to play JJ this year...

unless Sam completely sucks, though I expect him to be a top half of the league QB

Idk about this. We still have an extremely leaky IOL and nothing has been done to date to shore it up. Couple that with a questionable run blocking scheme. Not sure how much Darnold can handle (being damaged goods). But McCarthy absolutely shouldn't be thrown into the fire no matter how much everyone will want to see him.

Agree.

If we had spent 3 1sts on a guy to sit it would be one thing. Holding JJ back until he’s ready is 100% fine with me.
Post #: 1851
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 8:53:08 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

the Atlanta fans are so confused

it is pretty hysterical

But Kirko still counting $100 million guaranteed

Every year at least one team does something incredibly strange in the first rd. This move might be the most bizarre thing I've ever seen. Even the Jets wouldn't have done something this dumb.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1852
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 8:56:33 AM   
Phil Riewer

Here is why I thought the Burrow comparison:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/joe-burrow/32004255-5267-9731-81c8-48673dcec5e2
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/j.j.-mccarthy/32004d43-4318-9531-b3f5-120a14383239

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1853
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 9:05:42 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Gotta give Kwesi credit. He’s shown growth in the role.

Deserves a clean slate.

I've been hard on Kwesi for good reason. But he hit a homerun on this one. Normally a zebra can't change his stripes. But clearly Kwesi is figuring out how this works and has made some great moves this offseason.

Post #: 1854
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 9:07:12 AM   
Bill Jandro

And with Brad not liking McCarthy one bit, we may just have found our franchise qb.

Post #: 1855
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 9:08:08 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Bill Barnwell@billbarnwell
Vikings ended up trading picks 167, 188, and their 2025 second-, third-, and fourth-round picks to move up from 42 to 17.

Field Yates@FieldYates
Following a series of trades, the Vikings now have just 3 picks in the 2025 NFL Draft:
A 1st round pick and two 5th round picks.

Since January 1st, I have gathered 838 different selections from across the industry with 35 different players being selected. Just in the last four days, 142 mock drafts were gathered. Last year, the second-most mocked player became a Vikings. Will the Vikings see that happen on Thursday night? Time will tell...tyler forness

Player Total
QB J.J. McCarthy 273
QB Drake Maye 88
EDGE Laiatu Latu 52
DT Johnny Newton 59

So around the equivalent of an extra high 3rd, and that's not devaluing the worth of future picks (if you degrade them a round we come out ahead by a low 3rd).

IMO the run on defenders started and while there would have been good prospects at #23, they wouldn't be Dallas Turner level.

I think Murphy and Turner were in a class by themselves. And as soon as one of them went, we planned to try to pounce on the next pick.
Post #: 1856
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 9:09:44 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

And with Brad not liking McCarthy one bit, we may just have found our franchise qb.

It might be bias against the SEC and B10 more than anything.....he has been very quiet about the pick though.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1857
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 9:09:44 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Simms with a lengthy breakdown of Turner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqa72USxh1s

Takeaways: freakish athletic traits. Expect coaching to unlock techniques. Should be an exceptional pro.
Post #: 1858
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 9:12:20 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

From this point until the day JJ McCarthy is not a Viking we will hear volumes from Brad anytime JJ has a bad game, and crickets when he has good ones.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1859
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 9:13:48 AM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

quote:

the Atlanta fans are so confused

it is pretty hysterical

But Kirko still counting $100 million guaranteed

Every year at least one team does something incredibly strange in the first rd. This move might be the most bizarre thing I've ever seen. Even the Jets wouldn't have done something this dumb.

I used to count on the Giants or Raiders, for that kind of first round entertainment.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 1860
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 9:21:16 AM   
Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Gotta give Kwesi credit. He’s shown growth in the role.

Deserves a clean slate.

He's done a really solid job this off season!

I'll forgive him after last night for the horrible first round he had two years ago.

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 1861
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 9:21:50 AM   
Trekgeekscott

My take on the Draft.

Vikings got their QB. I think they tried to get Justin Herbert but he Chargers weren't stupid. Then they wanted Maye, but the Patriots weren't stupid.

Once Daniels and Maye were off the board they felt pretty good about getting McCarthy without having to move, then Atlanta made everyone say "what the ****?" and drafted Penix. Suddenly the Vikings were worried that the Broncos or Raiders would leapfrog them for McCarthy cause one wasn't going to get a QB. Vikings wanted McCarthy at that point so they traded up to move up one spot and took McCarrthy.

Then when sitting at 23 they saw several more picks go all offense and wanted either Latu or Turner and once ONE of them was taken they moved up for the other as quickly as possible.

As for how they played the draft...loved it. I've been pining for years for them to switch it up and instead of trading down, trade up and get a really good player instead of getting more mediocre ones. Once they got McCarthy without having to use 23 to move up, I was convinced they'd try to trade that pick to moved down...I was, to say the least, shocked they traded up there too.

As for what we got. McCarthy varied from expert to expert as to whether he was second best on down to possible bust. What we got was a winner. My concern for him is because he's so used to playing with a huge lead will he be able to manage a late game comeback? How will he fare in close games when the pressure is cranked up about 1000x more intense? I look forward to finding out.

Turner was listed by most as one of the top defensive players of the draft and it was a miracle that he was available at 17. We got a replacement for Danielle Hunter.

Now we don't pick again until round 4.

I am excited to see both these guys play

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1862
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 9:22:25 AM   
Brad H

I gave it 12 hours. Is McCarthy in the Hall of Fame in here yet?

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1863
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 9:23:26 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Simms with a lengthy breakdown of Turner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqa72USxh1s

Takeaways: freakish athletic traits. Expect coaching to unlock techniques. Should be an exceptional pro.

Was it just me, he seemed to be mumbling with a sour look all the way to the podium … thought maybe he was disappointed he didn’t go sooner. So add chip on the shoulder.

Maybe he’s angry about being named Dallas, 10X worse than Sue.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 4/26/2024 9:24:44 AM >
Post #: 1864
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 9:23:41 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

Some have already labeled him a bust...even before we picked him.

Post #: 1865
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 9:23:54 AM   
TJSweens

You have to go back a long way to find a better day 1 for the Vikings. When the 3rd pick came around it was pretty well confirmed that Maye was absolutely the Vikings primary target. It was also confirmed beyond any shadow of a doubt that Maye was never in danger of dropping out of the top 3. Not only did the Pats stay put and draft him, two other teams were competing to pry that pick away from the Pats to draft Maye.

After that Kwesi resisted the urge to jump too far ahead. It was a little gutsy, knowing that the Giants tried just as hard as they did to get to #3. It turned out that once Maye was off the board, the Giants focused on getting a weapon for Jones.

I'm greatful to Atlanta for their gross stupidity. They were a logical landing spot for Turner. They also took away Penix as an option and forced more good players down the board. I have to assume Las Vegas tried to jump up for McCarthy at that point, since they knew they were going to finish out of the QB's without a trade up. I assume the Bears were not going to risk losing out on getting Odunze for Williams. Kwesi wisely swapped with the Jets to get his guy.

In moving up to 17, Kwesi showed showed himself to be the anti-Spielman. And what a steal at #17 to get Turner. I'm sure Flores is still grinning ear to ear.

Great night. A lot of fun.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1866
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 9:25:13 AM   
Brad H

IMO, the Vikings will finish in last place in 2024 unless Sam Darnold plays well.

Post #: 1867
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 9:25:23 AM   
David Levine

After the draft, Falcons general manager Terry Fontenot and coach Raheem Morris explained their decision to select Penix and detailed their vision for the rookie quarterback.

"When you can add a high-caliber player like that, with his intangibles, those tools, he's a winner. Very, very excited. You don't pass up that opportunity," Fontenot said. "Kirk Cousins is our quarterback, we're very excited about Kirk. Very excited about this team. Michael Penix is–we're talking about the future."

"If [Penix] sits for four or five years, that's a great problem to have because we're doing so well at that position," he added.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/04/25/falcons-gm-explains-drafting-michael-penix-kirk-cousins
Post #: 1868
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 9:25:33 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

No, but I'm sure it won't stop you from claiming that we have been saying that.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1869
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 9:26:29 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

Vikings got their QB. I think they tried to get Justin Herbert but he Chargers weren't stupid. Then they wanted Maye, but the Patriots weren't stupid.

They did not. Herbert absolutely can not be traded for 2 years and I'm sure Kwesi knows that.
Post #: 1870
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 9:27:08 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Darnold should be thrilled. We just drafted a guy that can't beat him out.

Post #: 1871
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 9:28:46 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

After the draft, Falcons general manager Terry Fontenot and coach Raheem Morris explained their decision to select Penix and detailed their vision for the rookie quarterback.

"When you can add a high-caliber player like that, with his intangibles, those tools, he's a winner. Very, very excited. You don't pass up that opportunity," Fontenot said. "Kirk Cousins is our quarterback, we're very excited about Kirk. Very excited about this team. Michael Penix is–we're talking about the future."

"If [Penix] sits for four or five years, that's a great problem to have because we're doing so well at that position," he added.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/04/25/falcons-gm-explains-drafting-michael-penix-kirk-cousins

If Penix sits 4 or 5 years, he will be 29 or 30 when he takes over. Meanwhile they have flushed the #8 down the toilet when they were supposedly pulling out all of the stops to win now. Just a stupid f***ing pick. They are justifiably being ridiculed all over the media.

Post #: 1872
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 9:29:24 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

After watching what JJ did in college....I have a comparison to JJ. Was a guy that was redshirted and had to transfer out of Ohio State after his third year in order to lead his team to a championship. Has a ton of Intangibles.

He reminds me of Joe Burrow.

I would be perfectly fine with McCarthy turning out as well as Burrow.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1873
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 9:30:10 AM   
David Levine

quote:

IMO, the Vikings will finish in last place in 2024 unless Sam Darnold plays well.

Not a very bold prediction.

We could've drafted Caleb Williams and that would still be the likely result.

The Lions are (gulp) legit.

The Packers unfortunately are as well.

The Bears have had a tremendous offseason. Their defense might hold them back, but all Caleb has to be is better than Fields and they have a ton of firepower on offense.

This offseason is setting us up for the next "x" years, its not about winning a SB this season.
Post #: 1874
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 9:30:49 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Darnold should be thrilled. We just drafted a guy that can't beat him out.

It's been 12 hours. Has Brad showed up to shit all over the draft yet?

Yes.

Post #: 1875
Page:   <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode