Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2024 Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  75 76 [77] 78 79   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:01:19 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

I gave it 12 hours. Is McCarthy in the Hall of Fame in here yet?

Brad I liked Nix, but McCarthy is 3 years younger, has a bigger arm, better size, and his stats on low volume are crazy good. McCarthy is a better prospect than Nix. We did awesome.

He comes from a running offense, rarely ran a two-minute offense and had one of the best offensive lines in college football. He'll be on red-alert with this offensive line. He's got a lot to learn in a short amount of time.

I hope you are right, but I sense you are not. Most real draftniks thought it was a reach. I agree with them. The film and experience just isn't there.

Two stud RBs and an Oline built to run block and no they weren't one of the best Olines when it came to passing. Those were Kansas, Texas, Oregon, Washington, and Georgia. Washington won the award for best O Line in 2023.

Maybe you are thinking of 2021-22 when Michigan won the award?

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/26/2024 10:05:18 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1901
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:03:04 AM  2 votes
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Justin Jefferson, Jordan Addison, TJ Hockenson and Aaron Jones.

He better succeed immediately with that talent, because the tools are all there. If not, I will be here every week to remind you.

Mahomes sat a year. Why rush him if he isn't ready?

The Chiefs had Alex Smith, who was a returning Pro Bowler.

It doesn't take much to make the Pro Bowl. And this was a top 5 all timer in Mahomes.

We are doing it right. Getting younger, drafted QBOTF, cleaning out dead cap. KAM is making a comeback.
Post #: 1902
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:04:34 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He better succeed immediately with that talent, because the tools are all there. If not, I will be here every week to remind you.

It doesn't take much to make the Pro Bowl. And this was a top 5 all timer in Mahomes.

We are doing it right. Getting younger, drafted QBOTF, cleaning out dead cap. KAM is making a comeback.

I agree in getting younger and cleaning out cap space. QBOTF is very debatable. It's pretty hard to get a great one. We haven't drafted one in about 45 years.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 4/26/2024 10:06:28 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1903
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:06:43 AM  2 votes
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree in getting younger and cleaning out cap space. QBOTF is very debatable.

We very well might have had Maye as our #1 target. Couldn't get him and went to plan B. Sometimes plan B works better than A.
Post #: 1904
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:08:01 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

How did Draft rating guides do on rating Kurt Warner and Joe Burrow? Those are the comps I see.

I look at the draft comp for Darnold....Athleticism is 67; JJ is at 83. Not so sure you are right....but we will see. I like the Darnold signing. You should always have 2 capable QBs.

Post #: 1905
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:08:15 AM  1 votes
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We very well might have had Maye as our #1 target. Couldn't get him and went to plan B. Sometimes plan B works better than A.

I think we went with plan F. That would have been the last quarterback of the six I would have taken, based on his body of work. No two-minute experience. Running offense. etc....

< Message edited by Brad H -- 4/26/2024 10:09:50 AM >

Post #: 1906
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:08:57 AM   
Bill Jandro

Latu seemed more like a consolation prize if you needed an edge rusher desperately. Him going before Turner with that looming neck injury was very shocking. Indy has Atl to thank or they would be receiving some heavy scrutiny as well.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1907
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:09:44 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think we went with plan F. That would have been the last quarterback of the six I would have taken, based on his body of work.

Post #: 1908
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:10:58 AM   
Brad H

Perhaps the most hilarious part of this forum is Phil attempting to drag me into a conversation.

Post #: 1909
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:11:33 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

My take on the Draft.

Vikings got their QB. I think they tried to get Justin Herbert but he Chargers weren't stupid. Then they wanted Maye, but the Patriots weren't stupid.

Once Daniels and Maye were off the board they felt pretty good about getting McCarthy without having to move, then Atlanta made everyone say "what the ****?" and drafted Penix. Suddenly the Vikings were worried that the Broncos or Raiders would leapfrog them for McCarthy cause one wasn't going to get a QB. Vikings wanted McCarthy at that point so they traded up to move up one spot and took McCarrthy.

Then when sitting at 23 they saw several more picks go all offense and wanted either Latu or Turner and once ONE of them was taken they moved up for the other as quickly as possible.

As for how they played the draft...loved it. I've been pining for years for them to switch it up and instead of trading down, trade up and get a really good player instead of getting more mediocre ones. Once they got McCarthy without having to use 23 to move up, I was convinced they'd try to trade that pick to moved down...I was, to say the least, shocked they traded up there too.

As for what we got. McCarthy varied from expert to expert as to whether he was second best on down to possible bust. What we got was a winner. My concern for him is because he's so used to playing with a huge lead will he be able to manage a late game comeback? How will he fare in close games when the pressure is cranked up about 1000x more intense? I look forward to finding out.

Turner was listed by most as one of the top defensive players of the draft and it was a miracle that he was available at 17. We got a replacement for Danielle Hunter.

Now we don't pick again until round 4.

I am excited to see both these guys play

I don't believe for one second we tried for Herbert. $129 million instant cap hit if the Chargers trade him. Kwesi or KAM I forget who said it, said they were pretty much laughing their asses off over that rumor.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 4/26/2024 10:27:17 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1910
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:13:27 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

My take on the Draft.

Vikings got their QB. I think they tried to get Justin Herbert but he Chargers weren't stupid. Then they wanted Maye, but the Patriots weren't stupid.

Once Daniels and Maye were off the board they felt pretty good about getting McCarthy without having to move, then Atlanta made everyone say "what the ****?" and drafted Penix. Suddenly the Vikings were worried that the Broncos or Raiders would leapfrog them for McCarthy cause one wasn't going to get a QB. Vikings wanted McCarthy at that point so they traded up to move up one spot and took McCarrthy.

Then when sitting at 23 they saw several more picks go all offense and wanted either Latu or Turner and once ONE of them was taken they moved up for the other as quickly as possible.

As for how they played the draft...loved it. I've been pining for years for them to switch it up and instead of trading down, trade up and get a really good player instead of getting more mediocre ones. Once they got McCarthy without having to use 23 to move up, I was convinced they'd try to trade that pick to moved down...I was, to say the least, shocked they traded up there too.

As for what we got. McCarthy varied from expert to expert as to whether he was second best on down to possible bust. What we got was a winner. My concern for him is because he's so used to playing with a huge lead will he be able to manage a late game comeback? How will he fare in close games when the pressure is cranked up about 1000x more intense? I look forward to finding out.

Turner was listed by most as one of the top defensive players of the draft and it was a miracle that he was available at 17. We got a replacement for Danielle Hunter.

I don't believe for one second we tried for Herbert. $129 million instant cap hit if the Chargers trade him. Kwesi or KMA I forget who said they were pretty much laughing their asses off over that rumor.

Why don't you believe we asked? Worst you can hear is NO.
Post #: 1911
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:17:34 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Latu seemed more like a consolation prize if you needed an edge rusher desperately. Him going before Turner with that looming neck injury was very shocking. Indy has Atl to thank or they would be receiving some heavy scrutiny as well.

I know Atlanta will be criticized, but I think they did exactly what they needed to do. Cousins is coming off an Achilles. There is no guarantee he ever plays effectively again. They got a stud for the future, who could play immediately.

I think they should be criticized for going after Cousins. That was the dumber of the two moves.

Post #: 1912
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:18:25 AM   
beo

quote:

quote:

My take on the Draft.

I don't believe for one second we tried for Herbert. $129 million instant cap hit if the Chargers trade him. Kwesi or KMA I forget who said they were pretty much laughing their asses off over that rumor.

You could designate it as a post June 1st trade... and then the cap numbers are theoretically possible... but extremely painful for LAC.
That being said, I can't even remember a trade that would resemble moving a young talented QB on the level of Herbert.
Post #: 1913
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:19:48 AM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

And if he does succeed, you'll be golfing.

LOL!!!!
Post #: 1914
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:20:07 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Oh joy.

And if he does well you'll make sure to not show up.
Post #: 1915
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:22:19 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Perhaps the most hilarious part of this forum is Phil attempting to drag me into a conversation.

Not at all...I don't care if you reply to me or not.

Just laughing at your posts.

You know Michigan didn't have a top passing oline this year but you posted it any way.

Fishing opener is a couple of weeks away...

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/26/2024 10:25:14 AM >

Post #: 1916
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:26:07 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I know Atlanta will be criticized, but I think they did exactly what they needed to do. Cousins is coming off an Achilles. There is no guarantee he ever plays effectively again. They got a stud for the future, who could play immediately.

I think they should be criticized for going after Cousins. That was the dumber of the two moves.

Now that I can't disagree with...
I think Kirk was a 2 year play even if it is a 4 year contract.

Post #: 1917
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:27:10 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Going back to when JJ was selected, the reactions/posts had to have been the most subdued ever on here for a 1st round pick. I know this because 'I read (and just re-read) all the comments'. So nobody is proclaiming JJ as the second coming.
Post #: 1918
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:27:34 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Like I said earlier, If McCarthy has a bad game, Brad will be here speaking about just how smart he is...and when McCarthy has a bad game it will be crickets.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1919
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:28:25 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

My take on the Draft.

Because we wanted a QB on a rookie deal. Not having to pay a good not great Herbert $50 million or more a year.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1920
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:30:33 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen
Going back to when JJ was selected, the reactions/posts had to have been the most subdued ever on here for a 1st round pick. I know this because 'I read (and just re-read) all the comments'. So nobody is proclaiming JJ as the second coming.

Totally agree....the tension from the third pick until we drafted JJ was evident. As everyone knows we needed a QB.....excitement would have been a ton higher for Maye or Daniels but the chances were so low.

I was switching between Skor North at the Fillmore and NFL/ESPN and Judd couldn't sit still. They were commenting on how a couple teams were playing chicken with us to grab JJ......mostly the Giants it sounds like and to a lesser extent Chargers.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/26/2024 10:33:04 AM >

Post #: 1921
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:30:56 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Like I said earlier, If McCarthy has a bad game, Brad will be here speaking about just how smart he is...and when McCarthy has a bad game it will be crickets.

You need to fix the second half of your post.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1922
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:31:41 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

My take on the Draft.

Because no team is going to take a dead cap hit of 50% of the salary cap.
Post #: 1923
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:33:54 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

You need to fix the second half of your post.

What do you mean? All qbs have bad games.

Post #: 1924
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 10:36:16 AM   
Brad H

Best pick of the first round could end up being Nix in Denver. The Payton/Nix combo seems like a perfect fit. Looks a lot like Drew Brees on paper and film.

Post #: 1925
Page:   <<   < prev  75 76 [77] 78 79   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  75 76 [77] 78 79   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode