Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  104 105 [106] 107 108   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/8/2024 9:26:23 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Jets fired their coach.

Hackett Interim? Rodgers Interim Off Cord/QB/GM?

Purple Daily had a prediction about a week ago that this would happen and he would be our next DC after Flo gets an offseason HC gig. I would be cool with that. That's so the Jets being the Jets. They have 1 really good/great side to their team and they fire the architect of that. You think it was Saleh that brought in Hackett to be OC?

Salah makes zero sense here. He runs a 4-3. It has taken 3 years for us to transition to a 3-4.

Someone on the staff makes sense. Or someone outside organization who has worked with BFlo before.
Post #: 2626
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/8/2024 9:31:40 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terry Stoneberg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Pats perfect season was 16-0.

Nice catch. I even looked it up because I couldn't remember and then missed it.

Hey Terry. Glad to see you are back.
Post #: 2627
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/9/2024 9:06:05 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Jets fired their coach.

Hackett Interim? Rodgers Interim Off Cord/QB/GM?

Purple Daily had a prediction about a week ago that this would happen and he would be our next DC after Flo gets an offseason HC gig. I would be cool with that. That's so the Jets being the Jets. They have 1 really good/great side to their team and they fire the architect of that. You think it was Saleh that brought in Hackett to be OC?

Salah makes zero sense here. He runs a 4-3. It has taken 3 years for us to transition to a 3-4.

Someone on the staff makes sense. Or someone outside organization who has worked with BFlo before.

Here is an incredibly detailed breakdown of the many types of coverages complete with imbedded videos. When looking for players, one key attribute would appear to be they better be quick thinkers and have a ton of mental processing power.

This is because Flores is nuts! As for his replacement, if you want the same D then you better find an equally nutso DC. During interviews, if they mention anything with even an ounce of normalcy the floor beneath their chair needs to open up so they can be ejected downward.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/how-the-vikings-defensive-scheme-under-brian-flores-works/ar-AA1rBYYD
Post #: 2628
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/9/2024 9:10:43 AM   
Bill Johanesen

And how the heck did Flores even succeed in interviews for DC positions?? He was probably drawing up a bunch of stuff on the whiteboard with arrows everywhere while the people hiring were whispering 'WTF is this stuff, is he high?'
Post #: 2629
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/9/2024 11:37:49 AM   
ebergste

But in reality nothing Flores is doing is crazy. It's all just basic concepts. Cover 2, Cover 4, Palms Cover 3, Cover 1 Cover 0 etc. Any one of these concepts gets run by the average high school on Fridays. What makes it brilliant is the flexibility in alignment and transitioning into the different coverages out of so many different looks. The cardinal rule for defensive coordinators is don't confuse your own defense trying to confuse their offense. Defense has to play fast, instinctively and read and react, they can't do that if they aren't 100% sure of their assignment. It is truly amazing how in-sync every member of the Vikings D looks on every play. What really sets Flores apart is his ability to teach his scheme so that players remember it and can hear the call and understand their assignment almost instantly. Would love to be a fly a wall in the defensive room and hear how he teaches his concepts and transitions.
Post #: 2630
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/9/2024 11:53:04 AM   
marty

There is a tendency in the NFL for there to be innovations, followed by counter moves.

Judging by the last 2 games, I suspect teams that are going to be successful against the Vikings' defense, are going to be teams that mix in quick counts, do fake snaps to look at what sorta defense the Vikings might using, or just find ways of messing with the snap, in different ways.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2631
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/9/2024 11:54:15 AM   
marty

Hopefully Flores will have some counter moves for that.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2632
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/9/2024 3:46:04 PM   
Bill Jandro

The key is how versatile all our LB's are (esp the edge guys). They can get after the qb and are also great in coverage. So BFlo can stack the LOS and the opposing offense has zero clue who is blitzing or dropping into coverage.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2633
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/9/2024 5:34:14 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

The key is how versatile all our LB's are (esp the edge guys). They can get after the qb and are also great in coverage. So BFlo can stack the LOS and the opposing offense has zero clue who is blitzing or dropping into coverage.

THIS!!!
Post #: 2634
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2024 7:35:42 AM   
BisonFan

Been sitting back and watching our team and have been more than pleasantly surprised. Just a few thoughts. The defense has been amazing and I am certain is due to the players we picked up in the offseason. Their flexibility as Bill stated has made the Flores defense thrive. However, I am a little concerned about teams starting to figure us out. The offense has been decent, but a worried about Darnold and hope KOC can get him going again. Wondering how the Darnold and Hockenson connection will be.

I didn't expect a lot of success this year, but so far they are proving me wrong. Just hoping they haven't gotten me excited only to let me and other fans down. SKOL!
Post #: 2635
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2024 7:38:19 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: BisonFan

Been sitting back and watching our team and have been more than pleasantly surprised. Just a few thoughts. The defense has been amazing and I am certain is due to the players we picked up in the offseason. Their flexibility as Bill stated has made the Flores defense thrive. However, I am a little concerned about teams starting to figure us out. The offense has been decent, but a worried about Darnold and hope KOC can get him going again. Wondering how the Darnold and Hockenson connection will be.

I didn't expect a lot of success this year, but so far they are proving me wrong. Just hoping they haven't gotten me excited only to let me and other fans down. SKOL!

LOL.

This is the Minnesota Vikings. The other shoe will most certainly drop.

Now that I've made my cynical statement....back to the optimism!!!

If a cow doesn't provide milk, is that a milk dud or and udder failure?
Post #: 2636
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2024 7:57:00 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

The big key is that they now have an aggressive defense and an aggressive offense....

Darnold is way more agile and aggressive than Kirk (of course). That aggressiveness caused a multitude of PIs on a very good secondary.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/10/2024 8:22:16 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2637
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2024 7:57:15 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terry Stoneberg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Pats perfect season was 16-0.

Nice catch. I even looked it up because I couldn't remember and then missed it.

Hey Terry. Glad to see you are back.

+1

Post #: 2638
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2024 8:38:13 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Former Minnesota Vikings defender Lewis Cine is no longer a safety.

He’s transitioned to linebacker with his new club, the Buffalo Bills, according to Niagara Gazette.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2639
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2024 8:50:01 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Former Minnesota Vikings defender Lewis Cine is no longer a safety.

He’s transitioned to linebacker with his new club, the Buffalo Bills, according to Niagara Gazette.

Not usually a good sign for an NFL career.

But more power too him. Hope he succeeds.

If a cow doesn't provide milk, is that a milk dud or and udder failure?
Post #: 2640
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2024 9:56:01 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ESPN had a clip of several of the Jets breakdowns to include dropped passes, failure to execute, etc. They lost a few big gains and/or likely TDs by being, well, the Jets.

That coupled with GB throwing at will in the second half makes me wonder if teams are already starting to break the code (and not buying that we were in a prevent for that long against GB, or if we were it failed).
Post #: 2641
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2024 9:58:40 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ebergste

But in reality nothing Flores is doing is crazy. It's all just basic concepts. Cover 2, Cover 4, Palms Cover 3, Cover 1 Cover 0 etc. Any one of these concepts gets run by the average high school on Fridays. What makes it brilliant is the flexibility in alignment and transitioning into the different coverages out of so many different looks. The cardinal rule for defensive coordinators is don't confuse your own defense trying to confuse their offense. Defense has to play fast, instinctively and read and react, they can't do that if they aren't 100% sure of their assignment. It is truly amazing how in-sync every member of the Vikings D looks on every play. What really sets Flores apart is his ability to teach his scheme so that players remember it and can hear the call and understand their assignment almost instantly. Would love to be a fly a wall in the defensive room and hear how he teaches his concepts and transitions.

What sets things apart apart is Flores has the balls (and freedom) to mix things up, every game.
Post #: 2642
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2024 11:01:07 AM   
ebergste

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

What sets things apart apart is Flores has the balls (and freedom) to mix things up, every game.

And the personnel and teaching ability to allow him to have the balls/freedom. The reason everyone doesn't do this from high school on up is you would have 11 of your guys standing there going, "Wait does that mean i have the flat or the deep or does he......," every time the ball is snapped." Takes some pretty smart cookies to pull this off. But other teams have smart players also so why are we accomplishing it? Flores has teaching his scheme down pat. He has reduced his concepts to the least verbiage and processes as possible to still get understanding and still be able to play fast.
Post #: 2643
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2024 11:59:01 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

And the personnel and teaching ability to allow him to have the balls/freedom. The reason everyone doesn't do this from high school on up is you would have 11 of your guys standing there going, "Wait does that mean i have the flat or the deep or does he......," every time the ball is snapped." Takes some pretty smart cookies to pull this off. But other teams have smart players also so why are we accomplishing it? Flores has teaching his scheme down pat. He has reduced his concepts to the least verbiage and processes as possible to still get understanding and still be able to play fast.

I'm wondering if that translates at all to being a successful head coach?
Post #: 2644
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2024 12:00:58 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

He didn't really have the personnel last year, but he stuck to his crazy schemes and ran them anyway. It's who he is. An innovator... maybe even sort of anti-establishment. He's the defensive equivalent of Mike Martz, who was great at cooking up new concepts behind the curtain and unleashing them on Sundays.

As DCs and assistants pore over video, tendencies, player tells, etc it will be interesting if they can establish effective counters... and whether Flores can respond in kind.
Post #: 2645
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2024 2:34:09 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He didn't really have the personnel last year, but he stuck to his crazy schemes and ran them anyway. It's who he is. An innovator... maybe even sort of anti-establishment. He's the defensive equivalent of Mike Martz, who was great at cooking up new concepts behind the curtain and unleashing them on Sundays.

As DCs and assistants pore over video, tendencies, player tells, etc it will be interesting if they can establish effective counters... and whether Flores can respond in kind.

The counter would be to have a really good base defense without substitutions. When teams are running hurry up we are vulnerable.

Post #: 2646
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2024 4:48:25 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

We played total soft coverages in the second half.. DB’s were ten yards off and back peddling immediately at the snap.. the middle zone was wide open, because players were staying within a set area, regardless of traffic..van Ginkle got burned by double out then cut in moves, behind him. And Rodger’s used his eyes to bait Lbs to drift to outside lanes and flats, while slots and receivers were cutting back to the middle.

It was prevent defense of donnashello level of stupid.

There was no reason to change the defense we were using in the first half, except that coaching had a ballsack shrinkage situation.
Offense and defense.

Darnold was injured and rattled by the hit to his chest, plus he got clocked a number of times by shitty pas blocking, and sacked..

Chandler is no threat in play action , because he doesn’t run as hard as Jones, and he can’t even catch a pitch right at him, let alone a pass.

Jets didn’t figure out shit, out coaches made very poor choices of coverage, defenses, and play calls .

Not taking points in the red zone on Fourth down is a prime example of stupid.

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 10/10/2024 4:50:26 PM >
Post #: 2647
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2024 5:13:04 PM   
Bill Johanesen

A big reason the Jets O failed is because they were inept. They couldn't execute plays. Never saw as many dropped passes by one team in a game. Rodgers contributed to the debacle. Hackett weirdly keeps his OC title but his role will be different, like chief bottle washer.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 10/10/2024 5:17:51 PM >
Post #: 2648
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2024 5:34:49 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

We played total soft coverages in the second half.. DB’s were ten yards off and back peddling immediately at the snap.. the middle zone was wide open, because players were staying within a set area, regardless of traffic..van Ginkle got burned by double out then cut in moves, behind him. And Rodger’s used his eyes to bait Lbs to drift to outside lanes and flats, while slots and receivers were cutting back to the middle.

There was no reason to change the defense we were using in the first half, except that coaching had a ballsack shrinkage situation.
Offense and defense.

Darnold was injured and rattled by the hit to his chest, plus he got clocked a number of times by shitty pas blocking, and sacked..

Chandler is no threat in play action , because he doesn’t run as hard as Jones, and he can’t even catch a pitch right at him, let alone a pass.

Jets didn’t figure out shit, out coaches made very poor choices of coverage, defenses, and play calls .

I think that our defense has just gotten tired in the 2nd half of games lately...o'connell's playcalling has been weak, and he hasn't been able to keep the defense off the field
- and with darnold getting tweaked, it's compounded...our wide receivers looked tired running those slow-developing routes over and over...i blame o'connell more that flores....

the defense gets winded and has to play looser coverage - I don't have access to the numbers, but it seemed that our offense lost the possession battles in the 2nd halves of the last two games - probably most of the games this season....

also, jetlag is a real thing...it takes me a week to normalize when I cross the atlantic - physically and mentally....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2649
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2024 6:48:37 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

Offense and defense.

I think that our defense has just gotten tired in the 2nd half of games lately...o'connell's playcalling has been weak, and he hasn't been able to keep the defense off the field
- and with darnold getting tweaked, it's compounded...our wide receivers looked tired running those slow-developing routes over and over...i blame o'connell more that flores....

the defense gets winded and has to play looser coverage - I don't have access to the numbers, but it seemed that our offense lost the possession battles in the 2nd halves of the last two games - probably most of the games this season....

also, jetlag is a real thing...it takes me a week to normalize when I cross the atlantic - physically and mentally....

People were posting that on the Gameday thread.

After the good start, the plays per offensive drive were 3, 2 (end of half), 3, 5, 4, 4, 3. 9 (FG), 2 (end of game).

Not blaming the O what with Jones and Darnold injured. One played but they were both injured.
Post #: 2650
Page:   <<   < prev  104 105 [106] 107 108   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  104 105 [106] 107 108   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode