Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  94 95 [96] 97 98   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 9:36:16 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

So 17-0 in the regular season ?

If not, where do you see their 1st loss ?

I see their first loss happening as soon as they start thinking 17-0.
Post #: 2376
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 9:46:24 AM   
Bill Johanesen

It's too early to assume the opposition won't find cracks in the schemes, but as 'a snapshot in time' the remaining schedule looks pretty good. Contrast that with the Vikings having, I believe, the toughest schedule in the league before the season started.

Sure, some teams haven't stepped up so far or others might, but in general the difficult part of the schedule (SF, HOU, @GB) is over with. Naturally we still have to play Det twice. Plus there might be teams we simply don't match up well with. Fluke plays, bad calls, coming out flat. As we saw from the 4th and 1, it's a game of inches. And as Kwesi so brilliantly noted "The football is oblong."

As Richard said, London games are usually sloppy. Win that, enjoy the bye week, and come back ready to play one game at a time.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 9/30/2024 9:48:48 AM >
Post #: 2377
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 9:48:09 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

Jet's aren't good, but they have Aaron Rodgers, who has a special place in his heart for the Vikings. BFlo's defense relies on confusing and pressuring the QB. Rodgers isn't easily confused on the football field and he handles pressure pretty well. They will be tested quite a bit vs Rodgers.

We have two games against the Lions who are still a pretty damn good football team. We have two against the Bears who no matter how bad they are always give us fits especially in Chicago. We have one more vs the Packers who nearly erased a 28 point deficit to beat us yesterday. we still have the Seahawks in Seattle. We still have what might be the Flacco let Colts An improved although helmed by KC Falcons. We can't assume victory. We can't overlook anyone. One or two injuries and this can all come crumbling down.

We will have a letdown at some point. We will not go 17-0.

If a cow doesn't provide milk, is that a milk dud or and udder failure?
Post #: 2378
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 9:58:30 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Considering Marty uses the past to project the future like with the defensive coordinator theory (which wasn't even valid considering Flores had already been a HC), I'm surprised he would even mention 17-0 because the Vikes were 5-0 in 2016, had a bye, then went 0-4. After that, they couldn't even win two games in a row before finishing 8-8.
Post #: 2379
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 10:01:26 AM   
ratoppenheimer

yesterday was our bullet, dodged...hopefully, our coaches, players, and fellow fans will learn from it...even what seem like small decisions have consequences...don't take them lightly....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2380
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 10:08:44 AM   
Phil Riewer

Nick Olson
@NickOlsonNFL
·
1h
Through four weeks, Brian Flores' #Vikings defense leads the NFL in:

• Sacks (17)
• QB Hits (17)
• Pressures (50)
• Interceptions (8, tied with Green Bay)
• Tackles for loss (26, tied with Broncos and Bills)
• Pass deflections (32!)

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2381
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 10:27:38 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Jet's aren't good, but they have Aaron Rodgers, who has a special place in his heart for the Vikings. BFlo's defense relies on confusing and pressuring the QB. Rodgers isn't easily confused on the football field and he handles pressure pretty well. They will be tested quite a bit vs Rodgers.

We have two games against the Lions who are still a pretty damn good football team. We have two against the Bears who no matter how bad they are always give us fits especially in Chicago. We have one more vs the Packers who nearly erased a 28 point deficit to beat us yesterday. we still have the Seahawks in Seattle. We still have what might be the Flacco let Colts An improved although helmed by KC Falcons. We can't assume victory. We can't overlook anyone. One or two injuries and this can all come crumbling down.

We will have a letdown at some point. We will not go 17-0.

We should roll over the Jets.

Psychologically, however, our catastrophic second half yesterday may have left a lingering sour aroma we need to play out of our system.

There’s the weird travel element that each team has to deal with.

The Jets have much better WRs than GB (who made our coverage look Donatell-like in the second half).

As you mention, Rogers is still cagey enough to neutralize at least some of the BFlo caginess. He’s nothing like Rogers 3-4 years ago though, hopefully a few smackdowns will neuter him …

On defense, Sauce on JJ will be interesting.

There’s a lot to keep us from chalking up a win over the Jets, today.
Post #: 2382
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 10:41:15 AM   
David Levine

Jets at home could not beat Bo Nix and his 60 passing yards.

The Kirk Cousins beat the Saints, scoring 26 points without a single offensive TD.

Jayden Daniels does not look like a rookie QB. Very glas the Bears passed on him for Williams (who is looking incrementally better).
Post #: 2383
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 10:54:46 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Nick Olson
@NickOlsonNFL
·
1h
Through four weeks, Brian Flores' #Vikings defense leads the NFL in:

• Sacks (17)
• QB Hits (17)
• Pressures (50)
• Interceptions (8, tied with Green Bay)
• Tackles for loss (26, tied with Broncos and Bills)
• Pass deflections (32!)

Yesterday was so good AND bad, its hard to draw conclusions.

We pounced on GB but they also played into our hands frequently.

IMO BFlo’s defense is pure fun … a fan’s dream of ill-advised high risk shenanigans and rascality.

The secondary is feasting on the havoc created by the front seven, but they are vulnerable in terms of plain ol’ coverage.

In other words, our defense is dangerous … but not very balanced between the front and the back.

When there’s 8 men on the line … I have to say it … its reminiscent of Buddy Ryan’s 46 … in style, not in talent. But engrossing nonetheless. So far we are outmaneuvering people, not pulverizing them. Maybe the first half yesterday but overall … no.

Still, its a blast.
Post #: 2384
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 11:12:27 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

David L pointed out a great thing in the GDT. Darnold is looking for more all the time. I think DL was referring to 3rd but but I think in general he’s the antithesis of Cousins and it’s awesome.

Vikings QBs through the first four games of 2023 and 2024:

2023: 108-167 (65%) for 1214 yards (303.5 yards/game) 7.68 average per attempt, 11 TDs, 4 INTs, 10 sacks for 65 yards, average QBR 51.8, average QB rating 100.45.

2024: 73-106 (69%) for 932 yards (233 yards/game) 8.83 average per attempt, 11 TDs, 3 INTs, 10 sacks for 63 yards, average QBR 73.58, average QB rating 116.23.

2023 QB gets you more yards through volume, 2024 QB gets you more yards per throw. This supports David L.'s statement that 2024 QB is looking for more.

Even taking out the 97 (?) yard TD to JJ, it's still 8 ypa in 2024. But it wouldn't be reasonable to exclude that play in any debate about going for it... simply because Darnold went for it! From the end zone no doubt. That play would be exhibit 1 for looking for more.

Agree fully. Nailor was wide open underneath Jefferson's route and would have been an easy first down and easier/safer throw. 2024 QB has the instincts of a stone cold killer.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 2385
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 11:16:09 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

David L pointed out a great thing in the GDT. Darnold is looking for more all the time. I think DL was referring to 3rd but but I think in general he’s the antithesis of Cousins and it’s awesome.

2023: 108-167 (65%) for 1214 yards (303.5 yards/game) 7.68 average per attempt, 11 TDs, 4 INTs, 10 sacks for 65 yards, average QBR 51.8, average QB rating 100.45.

2024: 73-106 (69%) for 932 yards (233 yards/game) 8.83 average per attempt, 11 TDs, 3 INTs, 10 sacks for 63 yards, average QBR 73.58, average QB rating 116.23.

2023 QB gets you more yards through volume, 2024 QB gets you more yards per throw. This supports David L.'s statement that 2024 QB is looking for more.

Even taking out the 97 (?) yard TD to JJ, it's still 8 ypa in 2024. But it wouldn't be reasonable to exclude that play in any debate about going for it... simply because Darnold went for it! From the end zone no doubt. That play would be exhibit 1 for looking for more.

Agree fully. Nailor was wide open underneath Jefferson's route and would have been an easy first down and easier/safer throw. 2024 QB has the instincts of a stone cold killer.

What I'm seeing is when we have a third down, regardless of distance, the passes are very rarely thrown short of the sticks. That, in an of itself is a huge improvement of Kirk o chase the money Cousins

Post #: 2386
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 11:20:45 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What I'm seeing is when we have a third down, regardless of distance, the passes are very rarely thrown short of the sticks. That, in an of itself is a huge improvement of Kirk o chase the money Cousins

You know, I thought I was setting an example of being classy and not using names... but as long as we're rubbing it in I should/could have added that 2023 QB had three lost fumbles through the first four games and 2024 Qb has had only one.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 2387
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 11:25:12 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You know, I thought I was setting an example of being classy and not using names... but as long as we're rubbing it in I should/could have added that 2023 QB had three lost fumbles through the first four games and 2024 Qb has had only one.

I gave up all pretense of being classy wrt Kirk Cousins a while back.

Stay classy David. You can do it!

Post #: 2388
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 11:43:36 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

Where's KG been?
Post #: 2389
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 12:23:13 PM   
Chris Olson

Haven't seen much on our problems with clock management and coaching decisions at ends of halves...

I really felt the decision to pass on 3rd and 1 before the end of the first half was not smart...

With 1:21 left in the half, we only ran off 4 seconds there...

on one hand, I admire the guts and confidence to pass there, but running there, at worst, we fail to get the 1 yd and force them to call a TO...that was a gift to GB

Then, again, I like the guts and confidence of going for it on 4th...they have a long field, little time, etc if we don't pick it up...should have been able to trust the D, but a FG with the drafted cold blood kicker, would have sealed it, pretty much, at 34-22...

Did you guys like the confidence shown by KOC? or is playing it safe smarter?
Post #: 2390
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 12:50:30 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

Haven't seen much on our problems with clock management and coaching decisions at ends of halves...

I really felt the decision to pass on 3rd and 1 before the end of the first half was not smart...

With 1:21 left in the half, we only ran off 4 seconds there...

on one hand, I admire the guts and confidence to pass there, but running there, at worst, we fail to get the 1 yd and force them to call a TO...that was a gift to GB

Then, again, I like the guts and confidence of going for it on 4th...they have a long field, little time, etc if we don't pick it up...should have been able to trust the D, but a FG with the drafted cold blood kicker, would have sealed it, pretty much, at 34-22...

Did you guys like the confidence shown by KOC? or is playing it safe smarter?

o'connell got beat at least twice going sideways on short yardage needs...my advice is to get Bradbury and Ingram out of there, and finally, shore up the interior o-line so you can have confidence making those calls....

at the time, I was hoping o'connell would kick the field goal and make the packers need two touchdowns....

ps - I also think o'connell should have challenged the spot when we failed to convert the jet-sweep....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 9/30/2024 12:54:03 PM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2391
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 12:59:58 PM   
TJSweens

He was out of challenges

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2392
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 1:47:56 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

He was out of challenges

Funny that we never qualify for the "expedited" reviews.
Post #: 2393
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 1:48:03 PM   
Todd M

One time when playing for a FG was the right call but we were playing for Jones gets his Lambeau keep.
Post #: 2394
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 2:08:53 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

One time when playing for a FG was the right call but we were playing for Jones gets his Lambeau keep.

The one time I was upset with Jones was when he ran out of bounds...

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2395
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 2:11:28 PM   
Jeff Jesser

There were 2 plays yesterday that make you start to wonder if Marty is on to something regarding his GB conspiracy theory.

1. The int that was reviewed and they still got it horribly wrong. There is no way that was a pick in any football game
2. The spotting of the ball at the end. He made that and it wasn't that close

It sure seemed like they wanted GB to get back in to and they wanted a photo finish.
Post #: 2396
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 2:34:05 PM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

Yep.
Post #: 2397
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 2:38:10 PM   
ebergste

I thought the spot on the jet sweep was actually correct. His knee was down before he lunged. The pick was not a pick.
Post #: 2398
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 2:50:11 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

Not much talk about it... but that was actually a somewhat big deal... if GB pulls out the comeback... that play would have been a BIG contributer.

Need to clean up the little things.
Post #: 2399
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2024 2:57:05 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ebergste

I thought the spot on the jet sweep was actually correct. His knee was down before he lunged. The pick was not a pick.

When I viewed it, at first the knee appeared down but then on the slower replay Nailor twists his body before the knee strikes the ground allowing the knee to stay off the ground while he extends his arms and the ball. That's how I remember seeing it.

Post #: 2400
Page:   <<   < prev  94 95 [96] 97 98   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  94 95 [96] 97 98   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode