Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 8/6/2012 8:32:42 AM   
Lynn G.

This is pretty darn cool:

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/165057706.html

quote:

PASADENA, Calif. - In a show of technological wizardry, the robotic explorer Curiosity blazed through the pink skies of Mars, steering itself to a gentle landing inside a giant crater for the most ambitious dig yet into the red planet's past.

Cheers and applause echoed through the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory late Sunday after the most high-tech interplanetary rover ever built signaled it had survived a harrowing plunge through the thin Mars atmosphere.

"Touchdown confirmed," said engineer Allen Chen. "We're safe on Mars."

Minutes after the landing signal reached Earth at 10:32 p.m. PDT, Curiosity beamed back the first black-and-white pictures from inside the crater showing its wheel and its shadow, cast by the afternoon sun.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 301
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 8/6/2012 8:40:56 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

quote:

PASADENA, Calif. - In a show of technological wizardry, the robotic explorer Curiosity blazed through the pink skies of Mars, steering itself to a gentle landing inside a giant crater for the most ambitious dig yet into the red planet's past.

Cheers and applause echoed through the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory late Sunday after the most high-tech interplanetary rover ever built signaled it had survived a harrowing plunge through the thin Mars atmosphere.

Minutes after the landing signal reached Earth at 10:32 p.m. PDT, Curiosity beamed back the first black-and-white pictures from inside the crater showing its wheel and its shadow, cast by the afternoon sun.

From a science and space exploration point of view I would agree..

From the fact that it cost Billions to do...no so much.  I'm fine with exploring space, but quite frankly, we have people starving on earth and we're spending billions to sent a robot to Mars.

Perspective ruins this for me.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 302
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 8/6/2012 8:51:30 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

Cool.
Post #: 303
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 8/6/2012 10:18:38 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

From the fact that it cost Billions to do...no so much.  I'm fine with exploring space, but quite frankly, we have people starving on earth and we're spending billions to sent a robot to Mars.

I see your point, and it's a good one. I would point out though that space exploration in the past has been the impetus for major technology gains that have found use throughout society. Of course I can't really come up with any good concrete examples off the top of my head. , but I know that the work that NASA scientists have done in the past has, by ripple effect, improved our day-to-day life here on earth.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 304
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 8/6/2012 10:49:13 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Freeze dried ice cream is probably what you are looking for Lynn.
Post #: 305
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 8/6/2012 10:54:16 AM   
Lynn G.

There you go. That's one!

Post #: 306
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 8/6/2012 11:25:39 AM   
Toby Stumbo

Tang

GO VIKES!
Post #: 307
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 8/6/2012 11:58:02 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

I see your point, and it's a good one. I would point out though that space exploration in the past has been the impetus for major technology gains that have found use throughout society. Of course I can't really come up with any good concrete examples off the top of my head. , but I know that the work that NASA scientists have done in the past has, by ripple effect, improved our day-to-day life here on earth.

There are a lot of people employed due to the space program, but it's not like they couldn't find other jobs.  They aren't unedumacated.  Rocket surgery and all. 

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 308
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 8/6/2012 1:28:01 PM   
Lynn G.

I did some googling and it turns out they've been reporting on spin-off technologies for decades, so there is a lot of information out there. Here is just a short list that I made from several different articles I found:

quote:

LED’s
Artificial limbs
Ventricular assist device
Aircraft anti-icing systems
Improved radial tires
Chemical detection
Firefighting equipment
Water purification
Solar Energy
Pollution remediation
Invisible braces
Scratch resistant lenses
Memory Foam
Ear thermometer
Shoe insoles
Long distance telecommunications
Adjustable smoke detector
Safety grooving in concrete
Cordless tools
Water filters

And there have been a ton of medical device advancements made from NASA technologies.

Post #: 309
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 8/6/2012 2:11:24 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

I did some googling and it turns out they've been reporting on spin-off technologies for decades, so there is a lot of information out there. Here is just a short list that I made from several different articles I found:

quote:

LED’s
Artificial limbs
Ventricular assist device
Aircraft anti-icing systems
Improved radial tires
Chemical detection
Firefighting equipment
Water purification
Solar Energy
Pollution remediation
Invisible braces
Scratch resistant lenses
Memory Foam
Ear thermometer
Shoe insoles
Long distance telecommunications
Adjustable smoke detector
Safety grooving in concrete
Cordless tools
Water filters

And there have been a ton of medical device advancements made from NASA technologies.

Let's not fool ourselves into belieiving that all if not most of those would still have been invented had there been no space program.  There was long distance telecommunications long before Sputnik went up btw. 

The people responsible for that ingenuity would have been working in other fields and still developing these items. 

Again,  I like the space program and exploring space is not something I am against.  My problem is we spend literally billions trying to send robots to Mars, but we have starving children living homeless in our own streets.

Post #: 310
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 8/6/2012 2:18:12 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toby Stumbo

Tang

Perv.
Post #: 311
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 8/6/2012 3:16:11 PM   
RBIrving

As many have noted, in order to turn the economy around we need to develope new technology to manufacture.

Lost in the development at NASA is a new partnership with business. We need the businesses to join in the exploration and exploitation of space. These will require new technologies and manufacturing plants that can restore the American, even the world's economy.

I would say that the biggest problem we're facing right now is we don't have anything that rich people want to spend their money on, so they're either sitting on their money or spending it elsewhere. Space Travel and asteroid mining are ripe areas that can give the people of earth a new frontier to exploit.

“We used to pee down our leg on Monday night or big-time football. I think it’s out the window now.’’
Post #: 312
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 8/6/2012 3:28:38 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: RBIrving

As many have noted, in order to turn the economy around we need to develope new technology to manufacture.

Lost in the development at NASA is a new partnership with business. We need the businesses to join in the exploration and exploitation of space. These will require new technologies and manufacturing plants that can restore the American, even the world's economy.

I would say that the biggest problem we're facing right now is we don't have anything that rich people want to spend their money on, so they're either sitting on their money or spending it elsewhere. Space Travel and asteroid mining are ripe areas that can give the people of earth a new frontier to exploit.

Gotta like any post that includes the phrase "people of earth"
Post #: 313
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 8/7/2012 12:18:27 PM   
Ben Thomas

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toby Stumbo

Tang

Perv.

< Message edited by Ben Thomas -- 8/7/2012 12:19:37 PM >
Post #: 314
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 8/7/2012 3:22:46 PM   
DeLain

quote:

ORIGINAL: RBIrving

Isn't that whats happening? With these major grants to outside companies. Or I guess that is what you are referring to.

http://www.wired.com/geekmom/2012/08/nasa-and-spacex/

http://www.isciencetimes.com/articles/3616/20120807/nasa-approves-funding-28-deep-space-technologies.htm
Post #: 315
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 8/7/2012 3:38:48 PM   
RBIrving

that is exactly what I'm referring too.

“We used to pee down our leg on Monday night or big-time football. I think it’s out the window now.’’
Post #: 316
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 8/9/2012 7:53:31 PM   
Thomas O. Eliason

I'm wearing my AP jersey out this evening !

PPE II baby
Post #: 317
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 11/3/2012 8:16:39 AM   
Lynn G.

I'm not sure how this should be interpreted. In my dream early this morning I showed up at a Viking game carrying three large tubs of sour cream and a bolt cutter. No one thought twice about it and let me in the dome.

I didn't have an explanation for the sour cream but I knew why I had the bolt cutter. I was supposed to return it to its owner - Chris Kluwe's dad. For some reason he had loaned it to me and I needed to get it back to him. I was aware that carrying a bolt cutter around seemed odd - - - until I saw another guy with one.

Perfectly normal dream, right? Nothing to see here folks, she's not crazy.
Post #: 318
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 11/3/2012 9:30:47 AM   
eagleflorida

quote:

I'm not sure how this should be interpreted. In my dream early this morning I showed up at a Viking game carrying three large tubs of sour cream and a bolt cutter. No one thought twice about it and let me in the dome.

I didn't have an explanation for the sour cream but I knew why I had the bolt cutter. I was supposed to return it to its owner - Chris Kluwe's dad. For some reason he had loaned it to me and I needed to get it back to him. I was aware that carrying a bolt cutter around seemed odd - - - until I saw another guy with one.

Ummmm.....you might consider laying off the wacky tabacky for awhile Lynn.
Post #: 319
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 11/3/2012 12:47:08 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

I snuck into the Chicago/SF MNF game years ago through the caters door. Also got back stage to Guns & Roses and into NCAA Wrestling Finals through the caters doors as well. If you can dream it ....
Post #: 320
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 11/3/2012 3:29:48 PM   
quote:

you are "shackled" by your love of sour cream on baked potatos..( three tubs?!?! you addict!!!) the bolt cutters would free you.. but, rather than face that loss.. you feel the need to give them to chris ( baked pota)twinkel (to's) kluwie, the punter's dad...

the other guy is shackled to something else.. but you can't see what it might be, because you dont care.. your too busy trying to hang on to the sourcream/baked potato's thing..

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 321
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 11/3/2012 4:27:10 PM   
Lynn G.

I think you nailed it Dan! One part I didn't mention is that I left the sour cream at my seat when I got up to go somewhere and when I came back someone had put a dollop of my sour cream on their plate of potato chips. How odd.

I have always had odd dreams, and sometimes I've used them for material for my writing. I don't know if this particular dream will ever show up in a story though.
Post #: 322
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 2/19/2013 7:57:46 AM   
Lynn G.

Interesting story about Jeff Dubay in the Strib this morning. I had heard him say that going through an awful divorce was one of the reasons he experimented with crack cocaine, but I never knew that his wife left him for his own brother! How sad and horrifying. He ended up losing his entire family except for one sister.

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/191761841.html?page=1&c=y

I've been listening to Judd and Dubay quite a bit recently because I can't take KFAN anymore. I'm enjoying Dubay's takes on things again because he has strong opinions about pretty much everything, but it's exhausting to listen to him. He talks so fast and with such emotion behind everything (whether he's ticked or happy) that he wears out his listeners. He says he gets e-mails all the time telling him to slow down, and he's trying, but it's just in his nature to try to squeeze 8000 words into any free minute.
Post #: 323
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 2/19/2013 8:08:21 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Interesting story about Jeff Dubay in the Strib this morning. I had heard him say that going through an awful divorce was one of the reasons he experimented with crack cocaine, but I never knew that his wife left him for his own brother! How sad and horrifying. He ended up losing his entire family except for one sister.

I've been listening to Judd and Dubay quite a bit recently because I can't take KFAN anymore. I'm enjoying Dubay's takes on things again because he has strong opinions about pretty much everything, but it's exhausting to listen to him. He talks so fast and with such emotion behind everything (whether he's ticked or happy) that he wears out his listeners. He says he gets e-mails all the time telling him to slow down, and he's trying, but it's just in his nature to try to squeeze 8000 words into any free minute.

What scum his brother is.
Post #: 324
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 2/19/2013 9:04:11 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

What scum his brother is.

Never mind ....
Post #: 325
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode