Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 7/28/2014 9:03:34 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

School starts in 3 weeks

My kids both go back on the 12th. I think that is the earliest they have ever gone back. At least they got to visit the grandparents in Minnesota this year.

When would they finish then? Let's say no snow days - regular scheduled finish.
Post #: 726
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 7/28/2014 9:33:23 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

quote:

School starts in 3 weeks

My kids both go back on the 12th. I think that is the earliest they have ever gone back. At least they got to visit the grandparents in Minnesota this year.

We would of finished the 28th of May without snow days - and we had 2 snow days built into the schedule.

I talked to some WI kids this summer and they got out like June 14th and they always start after Labor Day - I've heard it has to to with the vacation spots getting their way as to when they start - IOW, families vacation at the end of Aug instead of being in school

It's mediatory that kids go 180 days and teachers 187 in Iowa
Post #: 727
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 7/28/2014 9:43:28 AM   
Todd M

I always went to school after Labor day and got out the 2nd - 3rd week of June.

I guess it would have been ok to give up a little over half of August to not have to go to school in June.
Post #: 728
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 7/28/2014 9:51:49 AM   
Lynn G.

I wonder if we'll ever get to the point where we go all year? I think the California model (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is to go all year, but they still have a couple of months of breaks - just divided up into smaller chunks spread throughout the year. That makes a lot of sense to me because they have shown how much time is wasted every fall reviewing the stuff kids have forgotten over the summer before they can begin the new material. We are no longer an agricultural society in which families need their kids to help out with farm chores all summer. That model is WAY outdated and I would definitely vote for a change.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 729
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 7/28/2014 10:02:55 AM   
Lynn G.

Happy birthday Karl Juhnke! May your training camp dreams come true on this day (and for the entire season please).

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 730
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 7/28/2014 10:03:08 AM   
joejitsu

quote:

quote:

quote:

School starts in 3 weeks

The scheduled day last year was May 18, but school actually ended on the 21st because of the snow days. I'm not sure about this year. It seems earlier and earlier each year.
Post #: 731
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 7/28/2014 10:07:58 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

I wonder if we'll ever get to the point where we go all year? I think the California model (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is to go all year, but they still have a couple of months of breaks - just divided up into smaller chunks spread throughout the year. That makes a lot of sense to me because they have shown how much time is wasted every fall reviewing the stuff kids have forgotten over the summer before they can begin the new material. We are no longer an agricultural society in which families need their kids to help out with farm chores all summer. That model is WAY outdated and I would definitely vote for a change.

The kids in my late fiance's family went to an all year charter school for years.
They did so much better at retaining what they learned. They would just have two week intercessions every couple/few months Instead of 3 months off in summer.

It's not just agriculture stopping the shift to all year schools. Retailers make a killing in July/August on Back to School sales....I work a second job in retail and this time of year is nearly as hellish as Christmas.

On the Starting earlier, my sister-in-law is a special ed teacher in western MN, and they start mid August every year in her district. She's usually off mid May.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 732
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 7/28/2014 10:08:54 AM   
Todd M

May 18th seems REALLY early!

Year round schooling. I would have hated it. But I'm not a kid, nor do I have kids so make em go year round with no breaks for all I care.
Post #: 733
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 7/28/2014 10:11:07 AM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

Since I grew up in a farming community, it wasn't true for me. I know that's the exception.

In the midwest, at least, there are some physical plant issues, such as schools skimping on air conditioning because they're not in session during the hottest months of the year.

And of course, wouldn't it be great if parents kept working with kids over the summer so that schools didn't have to start with that review? But how many schools put out a list of review items for kids to work on during the summer? FWIW, there are a number of excellent & cheap summer workbooks available. My kids liked the BrainQuest series, but unfortunately I don't think that continues past grade 4 or so.

What surprises me is that college students are largely on the same agricultural schedule. Yes, there are summer classes, but those sessions are dramatically underutilized compared to fall/winter/spring. If an alternate schedule were so beneficial, one would think that college students would have led the change years ago. So I don't think it's just agriculture that's driving it. People are more willing to study when the weather sucks.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 734
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 7/28/2014 1:33:13 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

quote:

Since I grew up in a farming community, it wasn't true for me. I know that's the exception.

In the midwest, at least, there are some physical plant issues, such as schools skimping on air conditioning because they're not in session during the hottest months of the year.

And of course, wouldn't it be great if parents kept working with kids over the summer so that schools didn't have to start with that review? But how many schools put out a list of review items for kids to work on during the summer? FWIW, there are a number of excellent & cheap summer workbooks available. My kids liked the BrainQuest series, but unfortunately I don't think that continues past grade 4 or so.

What surprises me is that college students are largely on the same agricultural schedule. Yes, there are summer classes, but those sessions are dramatically underutilized compared to fall/winter/spring. If an alternate schedule were so beneficial, one would think that college students would have led the change years ago. So I don't think it's just agriculture that's driving it. People are more willing to study when the weather sucks.

I had to use the summer break to earn money to help get through the next academic year.
Post #: 735
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 7/28/2014 1:35:55 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

School starts in 3 weeks

We would of finished the 28th of May without snow days - and we had 2 snow days built into the schedule.

I talked to some WI kids this summer and they got out like June 14th and they always start after Labor Day - I've heard it has to to with the vacation spots getting their way as to when they start - IOW, families vacation at the end of Aug instead of being in school

mediatory
Post #: 736
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 7/28/2014 1:37:35 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

School starts in 3 weeks

mediatory

Yeah, in our state we don't allow kids to be sick -- that's why our scores are better than yours.
Post #: 737
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 7/28/2014 1:39:43 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

School starts in 3 weeks

mediatory

Yeah, in our state we don't allow kids to be sick -- that's why our scores are better than yours.

With your news anchors and sports reporter types keeping count?
Post #: 738
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 7/28/2014 1:46:25 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

School starts in 3 weeks

mediatory

With your news anchors and sports reporter types keeping count?

I just now got it. You''re making fun of my "mandatory" spelling. Damn auto correct. I thought you were being literal, like, you have to go 180 or else ....

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 7/28/2014 10:25:45 PM >
Post #: 739
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 7/28/2014 7:13:46 PM   
hagar

quote:

Here we don't. Start school at the end of Aug. or early Sept. and get out mid June. No snow days here in the desert.
Post #: 740
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 7/28/2014 10:28:16 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

May 18th seems REALLY early!

Year round schooling. I would have hated it. But I'm not a kid, nor do I have kids so make em go year round with no breaks for all I care.

I think I'd like year round schooling ... as long as it was only 180 days a year. Go 9 weeks take a break, add in Christmas, spring break, etc. Summer is great but it takes while to get back to summer again.
Post #: 741
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 7/29/2014 9:44:21 AM   
Todd M

Happy BDay to The Dude.

Have talked with him and met him. Good guy.

The BDay thing is funny. Sometimes it's easy to drop and note and other times you let it pass you buy. Sometimes people get a ton of wishes, other, living posters, get few or none...

If you had a BDay this year - hope it was a good one. or

As a present I have ordered a bunch of "I was wrong on the internet but Todd was there to point it out" T-shirts. From petite to XXXXL, women's or men's...I've got you all covered.

It's expensive ordering that many shirts.
Post #: 742
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 7/29/2014 11:28:20 AM   
Lynn G.

Yes - Happy Birthday Ben! I would have missed it if you hadn't mentioned it. I'm not sure how the banner sometimes misses a full-time starter.

Hope the celebration is splendid and the cake divine.

Post #: 743
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 7/29/2014 11:29:01 AM   
Lynn G.

And right after I posted it - the banner is up! Good job Tobster.

Post #: 744
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 7/29/2014 11:31:36 AM   
Toby Stumbo

The banners are manual labor and although I setup 10 or so at a time I sometimes forget to keep them current.

GO VIKES!
Post #: 745
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 7/29/2014 11:31:59 AM   
Toby Stumbo

We are good to the middle of September now.

GO VIKES!
Post #: 746
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 8/2/2014 8:15:38 PM   
SoMnFan

Cool to hear Derrick Brooks talk about the Selmon Bros during his induction speech today.
Love hearing the great players tell about what motivated and drove them.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 747
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 8/4/2014 12:05:37 AM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toby Stumbo

The banners are manual labor and although I setup 10 or so at a time I sometimes forget to keep them current.

I long for the days when banned posters banners graced the front page.

I'm sentimental.
Post #: 748
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 8/4/2014 7:01:12 AM   
Toby Stumbo

Ah, those were the days.

GO VIKES!
Post #: 749
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 8/4/2014 8:53:42 AM   
Lynn G.

It happened exactly once, right?

So it's "that was the day."

Post #: 750
Page:   <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode