Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/29/2015 8:29:09 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Speaking of food...

Lisa has the day off from the WSOP, so she went down to our favorite Asian Market and picked out a live fish and she just made a Vietnamese Hot and Sour Fish Soup for our lunch.

Its ridiculous.

What kind of fish?
Post #: 951
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/29/2015 8:47:49 PM   
David Levine

Catfish.

I've never been a huge fan of catfish, but fresh like this, its amazing. Just firm enough to hold up in the soup, but not rubbery at all. And none of that kind of muddy taste that it can sometimes have. Very clean and bright.

Good Asian markets are the best. My favorite thing to do is pick out a nice big Tilapia from the tank. They'll kill it, clean it and quick deep fry it super crispy. Drizzle it with a touch of soy sauce and its phenomenal. And costs like 2.00.
Post #: 952
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/29/2015 9:13:07 PM   
David F.

quote:

Catfish.

I've never been a huge fan of catfish, but fresh like this, its amazing. Just firm enough to hold up in the soup, but not rubbery at all. And none of that kind of muddy taste that it can sometimes have. Very clean and bright.

Good Asian markets are the best. My favorite thing to do is pick out a nice big Tilapia from the tank. They'll kill it, clean it and quick deep fry it super crispy. Drizzle it with a touch of soy sauce and its phenomenal. And costs like 2.00.

You can't beat that. Well you could if you came to The Sticks and caught some walleye or a bunch of big perch. Delicious when fried fresh the same day you catch them. Granted with your license and bait and tackle and everything else it's way more than $2.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 953
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/29/2015 9:28:16 PM   
Todd M

Pass on the little get together with my food while it's alive.

If I were to eat there I'd have to walk in with my hand cupping my eye blocking the tank and ask him to do one up. And probably wouldn't in the first place.

I'd just as soon go the rest of my life without looking into the eye of my future food.

I get the circle of life. I just prefer to be a step removed from it. When I was a kid we raised rats for our snake(s) and I would always refuse to feed them. I knew what their fate was but I didn't want to be the deciderer.
Post #: 954
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/29/2015 9:40:21 PM   
David Levine

I can't do it with mammals or birds, but I have no problem with fishing, or cooking live lobsters/crabs.

(They also have plenty of fresh, already dead fish you can choose from)
Post #: 955
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/30/2015 7:04:35 AM   
eagleflorida

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

Speaking of food...

Lisa has the day off from the WSOP, so she went down to our favorite Asian Market and picked out a live fish and she just made a Vietnamese Hot and Sour Fish Soup for our lunch.

Its ridiculous.

What kind of fish?

David, what's the item in the picture of the fish soup in the lower right of the photo? Some kind of veggie?
Great looking meal! And wife.
Post #: 956
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/30/2015 8:07:11 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: eagleflorida

quote:

quote:

Speaking of food...

Its ridiculous.

What kind of fish?

David, what's the item in the picture of the fish soup in the lower right of the photo? Some kind of veggie?
Great looking meal! And wife.

Okra?
Post #: 957
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/30/2015 8:07:55 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Pass on the little get together with my food while it's alive.

If I were to eat there I'd have to walk in with my hand cupping my eye blocking the tank and ask him to do one up. And probably wouldn't in the first place.

I'd just as soon go the rest of my life without looking into the eye of my future food.

I get the circle of life. I just prefer to be a step removed from it. When I was a kid we raised rats for our snake(s) and I would always refuse to feed them. I knew what their fate was but I didn't want to be the deciderer.

Raised with snakes......the picture is becoming clearer.
Post #: 958
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/30/2015 8:58:50 AM   
Todd M

At first I thought - what a douchey thing to say. I should obsess about that for a while. Bet then I thought maybe I shouldn't assume a negative connotation. So a quick search gets this:

Quick-List of Symbolic Snake Meanings
Cycles
Rebirth
Patience
Eternity
Balance
Cunning
Intuition
Awareness
Healing
Intellect
Protection
Solemnity
Rejuvenation
Transformation

Now I'll go about my day with a little skip in my step. Thanks, bohumm!
Post #: 959
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/30/2015 9:16:44 AM   
bohumm

quote:

At first I thought - what a douchey thing to say. I should obsess about that for a while. Bet then I thought maybe I shouldn't assume a negative connotation. So a quick search gets this:

Quick-List of Symbolic Snake Meanings
Cycles
Rebirth
Patience
Eternity
Balance
Cunning
Intuition
Awareness
Healing
Intellect
Protection
Solemnity
Rejuvenation
Transformation

Now I'll go about my day with a little skip in my step. Thanks, bohumm!

No douchey intent, just good-natured ribbing; but I can see it may be taken more harshly than intended. Glad you found a silver, scaly lining.
Post #: 960
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/30/2015 9:55:37 AM   
Lynn G.

Okay - I'm going to sound like an Ozark mountain billy goat here for saying this ... but spending 4 or 5 hours sitting and eating sounds like almost the worst way to spend a day I can think of. I'm not even hyperactive but I couldn't sit and eat for that long if you paid me. And on the contrary, people actually pay enormous amounts of money to DO that?

Sorry David, but eating nonstop for 5 hours would make me want to cry.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 961
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/30/2015 10:34:27 AM   
David Levine

quote:

Okra?

Yup.
Post #: 962
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/30/2015 10:34:48 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Okay - I'm going to sound like an Ozark mountain billy goat here for saying this ... but spending 4 or 5 hours sitting and eating sounds like almost the worst way to spend a day I can think of. I'm not even hyperactive but I couldn't sit and eat for that long if you paid me. And on the contrary, people actually pay enormous amounts of money to DO that?

I would find it hard. I'd want to pace around. Going for a couple 'smoke' breaks would help.
Post #: 963
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/30/2015 10:42:40 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

You can't sit still for 4-5 hours with someone whose company you really enjoy?

And its not like a hot dog eating contest where you're just shoveling food into your mouth the whole time.

They bring a course (or a duo/trio of small courses), you take your time enjoying the food, when finished, they take the plates away and the next comes anywhere from 10-20 minutes later. With each course the server explains exactly what you're eating, how it was prepared, and if there is any particularly story about a dish/ingredient.

Its not something you want to do often, but its a really amazing experience that can change how you look at and/or approach food.
Post #: 964
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/30/2015 10:45:35 AM   
Todd M

quote:

You can't sit still for 4-5 hours

Nope.
Post #: 965
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/30/2015 11:00:06 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

You can't sit still for 4-5 hours

Nope.

I find that kind of sad.

I love that feeling where you're having such a good time, that you look at the time and can't believe how many hours have passed.
Post #: 966
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/30/2015 12:27:30 PM   
El Duderino

I think it's probably a physiological thing - some people just have loads of nervous energy. My step-mom is an example - she can't sit still for more than five minutes before the fidgeting starts. It's entirely unaffected by the quality of the company, it's just a need to be moving.

The Dude Abides
Post #: 967
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/30/2015 12:38:01 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Duderino

I think it's probably a physiological thing - some people just have loads of nervous energy. My step-mom is an example - she can't sit still for more than five minutes before the fidgeting starts. It's entirely unaffected by the quality of the company, it's just a need to be moving.

I'm like that if I have nothing interesting to do. But give me good company or a TV show/movie/book that is engrossing, and time no longer has any meaning.
Post #: 968
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/30/2015 12:47:15 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I'm with Todd. I don't see it as sad, just spazzy. I can't sit still for that long either no matter who I'm with.
Post #: 969
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/30/2015 1:03:26 PM   
El Duderino

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Duderino

I'm like that if I have nothing interesting to do. But give me good company or a TV show/movie/book that is engrossing, and time no longer has any meaning.

Maybe my stepmother enjoys my company less than I have assumed all these years ...

The Dude Abides
Post #: 970
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/30/2015 1:04:26 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

I'm with Todd. I don't see it as sad, just spazzy. I can't sit still for that long either no matter who I'm with.

I can't imagine not doing it. And I'm a total fidgeter - car trips, for example, drive me insane.

But if we're (for example) in Mpls at my brother's house for dinner, we always end up at the table until like 1 or 2 am (not eating the whole time, but just hanging/drinking beer or wine, snacking as it gets later, etc). Same if we're with good friends.
Post #: 971
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/30/2015 1:20:27 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Oh, see. Now you've changed it. There's drinking involved
Post #: 972
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/30/2015 1:25:59 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Oh, see. Now you've changed it. There's drinking involved

There is generally drinking involved in restaurants too.
Post #: 973
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/30/2015 1:55:19 PM   
Dave Odle

Doing it once or twice would be fun; kind of like going to an art gallery w/ a tour guide, only you're sitting in one place as the tour comes to you and explaining each food/flavor profile. Then again, I love to cook and so I would find it interesting.

A lot of things that people find boring, I find interesting; biographies, dialogue-driven films, nature walks, etc.

Try using hindsight in the present.
Post #: 974
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/30/2015 2:04:29 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

Doing it once or twice would be fun; kind of like going to an art gallery w/ a tour guide, only you're sitting in one place as the tour comes to you and explaining each food/flavor profile. Then again, I love to cook and so I would find it interesting.

The thing about a good tasting menu is you're never going to have the same menu twice. There may be a signature item or two that are a constant, but everything else is going to change based on the season, availability and the whim of the chef.

For me its a, maybe 2-4 times a year experience.
Post #: 975
Page:   <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode